As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You Are Now Free To Move About The Cabin

DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty DameRegistered User regular
edited April 2012 in Social Entropy++
Air travel.

united_plane.jpg

You can cross the country in less than eight hours. You can visit exotic locales that you would otherwise never have access to. Air travel has brought people together who would never have met, revolutionized the way business transactions are handled, and stimulated hospitality industries all over the world.

Hawaii_Generic.jpg

It has also made the population at large grudgingly accepting of being forced to remove their shoes and submit to random security screenings. We have learned how to pack seven days' worth of personal effects into a dinky carry-on to avoid baggage charges. Airlines have started to grow bold in their blatant refusal to allow rescheduling of tickets and their ever-growing list of added fees. At the same time, the industry struggles to keep up with more and more stringent FAA regulations, rising gas costs, and the ever-unpredictable weather.

tsa_debuts_full_1682.jpg

And of course there is the continuing struggle to stave off boredom and claustrophobia while stuck in a metal tube hurtling through the air at speeds upwards of 500 MPH. To that end we have the traveler's godsend.

custom_1241123277305_skymall.jpg

Dear, sweet SkyMall. Where else can I read about such lovely inventions as the

Personal Infrared Sauna
102981702d.jpg
The Hide-Away Foot and Body Personal Infrared Sauna is a far infrared device that allows users to enjoy the benefits of relaxation and healthy therapy.

This easy to use, no assembly required sauna is designed with a FIR (Far Infrared) Thermo-Top foot reflexology therapy system. This patent pending technology uses adjustable in-floor radiant heat to help improve the immune system by increasing the blood flow, starting at the feet.

Designed to provide even heat distribution, this energy efficient Hide-Away Sauna is made out of Canadian hemlock wood and has a tempered glass top that helps hold the soothing heat to allow for deep FIR penetration. Equipped with a main control panel and a separate on/off switch, the Hide-Away Sauna takes only 10 minutes to heat up and has an adjustable temperature setting from 68 - 107 degrees F. Boost your immune system from the comfort of your own home.

So SE++, tell us your travel travails! Or good shit that happened to you too, I guess. And I SUPPOSE you can talk about train and car travel too, sure, knock yourselves out

Didgeridoo on

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    you know, when I first saw the title, I thought this was going to be a thread about Cabin in the Woods for some reason

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Up in the Air is a movie that I enjoy.

I have never been on a plane.

• George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    If you try and take my armrest I will fucking stab you.

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    you know, when I first saw the title, I thought this was going to be a thread about Cabin in the Woods for some reason

Me, too.

The last time I was on a plane I was sitting next to a woman in her fifties flying into my home city for a consulting job. We spent the entire flight sharing our life stories and swapped emails at the end.

The end.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I'm going to be flying back home in about 12 hours, finally ending this piss poor excuse of a vacation

just another reminder that all life, but mine in particular, is full of endless disappointments

wY6K6Jb.gif
    The last time I was on a plane I flew to Denver to help my Dad drive home.

It was pretty neat, thought I did have to change plans like four times.

• tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    that fucking sauna

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

Same

Speaking of, just came back from it

It was actually original, scary, and funny all at the same time. And I saw more blood in the last 20 minutes than I've seen in a horror movie all year.

It was silly at times, but I thought it was pretty good.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I love traveling via planes.

I mean everyone who works for the airport is a troll but sacrifices must be had...

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    Planes suck so hard

• HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    Fuck patdowns, fuck the TSA, and fuck the brownshirts at the Department of Homeland Security.

I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.

Same

It was actually original, scary, and funny all at the same time. And I saw more blood in the last 20 minutes than I've seen in a horror movie all year.

did you see how well it's doing on RT? it's at like, 90%. frankly, I was stunned.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    @Slider

I don't think ceres will ban you for posting in here.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    Harrier wrote: »
    Fuck patdowns, fuck the TSA, and fuck the brownshirts at the Department of Homeland Security.

FUCK THE GOVERNMENT WE ARE ANONYMOUS WE ARE LEGION.

dbrock270 wrote: »
    Harrier wrote: »

FUCK THE GOVERNMENT WE ARE ANONYMOUS WE ARE LEGION.
    That's not the same goddamn thing and you know it.

Patdowns are a flagrant violation of the 4th Amendment. I had best not be touched while going through security unless they have better prior cause than "9/11 9/11 lol."

I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

Same

did you see how well it's doing on RT? it's at like, 90%. frankly, I was stunned.

That is awesome. Considering that there wasn't a lot of advertisement for it, that is an awesome reception.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Pretty much all my traveling now and for the next few years is between California and the UK.

Probably be a few local weekend breaks here and there, but unless my salary and vacation allowance both drastically increase I don't really see it changing. But I'm okay with it; as great as it is to see new places, it can also be pretty exhausting and it might be nice to wait until I can do things properly. And California and the UK both have plenty to offer.

• MarthMarth Registered User regular
    I did some traveling over winter break for the first time in about 10 years. On the first flight, I was next to a woman who hadn't traveled for a long time, either. We both were excited when it took off; it was pretty exhilerating!

The next flight, and every flight after that? Booooooring. I thought it was interesting how quickly I got used to it.

But I still enjoy air travel in general. I haven't had any bad experiences with the TSA so far.

Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I love traveling via planes.

I mean everyone who works for the airport is a troll but sacrifices must be had...

everyone who works for the airport is a troll because everyone who flies on planes is a goblin

Speed Racer on
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I threw up 4 hours into a 16 hour flight last time I got on a plane.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    I fly all the time

But I've always been a nervous flier. Flyer? One who flies.

Virgin Atlantic is my favourite airline

Cabins have plenty of leg room, staff are smartly dressed and super friendly, there is plenty of free wine and the entertainment is the most varied and has never been broken for me

But overall I've not had a really bad experience on any airplane (just at airports... Fuck you, Chicago O'Hare)

• ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    I don't like flying any more after they started cramping the seats in even more, last time I flew I could not move my legs at all for the duration of the flight

at least I don't get nervous or airsick or bored much, I guess

thenews.jpg
  • satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    i used to be fine with flying, but at some point i became goddamn terrified of it

planes are super heavy! we are spitting in the face of god!

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    A few weeks after that trip, I learn of the existence of over-the-counter drugs for motion sickness.

b1ehrMM.gif
    every time I'm on a plane, I hope that I get the window seat

the view out the plane window is always amazing

• George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    I think I'm overdue for a plane trip, but any budget that would go toward that is instead taking me to Sasquatch.

I ain't mad.

I have weak ear drums, so landing is a nightmare for me

Once I flew with a cold, and lost half my hearing and my voice for four days

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    I used to be fine with flying, but then last fall I started getting crazy anxiety and so flying wasn't good any more :( However, ativan works, so flying isn't really a problem now. Just hope I can do it again without drugs.

Janson wrote: »
    Virgin Atlantic is my favourite airline

Cabins have plenty of leg room, staff are smartly dressed and super friendly, there is plenty of free wine and the entertainment is the most varied and has never been broken for me

But overall I've not had a really bad experience on any airplane (just at airports... Fuck you, Chicago O'Hare)
    Jesus Christ, O'Hare. that place is a black hole. Every time I've had to fly in or out of it there's been a delay.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Same

That is awesome. Considering that there wasn't a lot of advertisement for it, that is an awesome reception.

Yeah, critics seem to dig, and the ones who don't, well, the reviews tend to indicate a deficit of giving a damn and/or intellectual ability. Lot of details wrong in most of the negative reviews.

Estimates put it at 5.5 mil yesterday, and it seems like it's getting good word of mouth.

Worried a bit after my screening was a ghost town (10 people or so), but seems like it's got a shot.

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Always take the window seat. No fighting over an armrest, just lean against the side of the plane and gaze out the window.

The only problem with a window seat is when you need to pee!

Slightly concerned about flying this Christmas; just be one seat for me + baby, and I reaaaally pray the baby turns out to be a good flyer and that I don't end up next to a kid hater

• dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I was at the airport in Newark and my flight got delayed for about a day and I dozed off sitting on the ground on woke up to cute little rat staring right at me.

And by cute I mean horrifying.

dbrock270 on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Usagi and I are flying to Maui for a week starting PAX weekend! Flying is rad!
    Skymall cracks me the fuck up.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I always get the aisle seat because then I can go to the bathroom without climbing over people

They have to climb over me but I mind that less

Skymall provided me with like a full hour of entertainment, it's true!

• MarthMarth Registered User regular
    dbrock270 wrote: »
    I was at the airport in Newark and my flight got delayed for about a day and I dozed off sitting on the ground on woke up to cute little rat staring right at me.

And by cute I mean horrifying.

That's fun! I actually stayed up all night in the Newark airport waiting for another flight the next day, so I got to wander around a mostly-empty airport. Where was this rat?

Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I prefer the window seat both for the view, and so I don't have people crawling over me to get to the bathroom or constantly bumping into me as they walk the aisle.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I am constantly baffled by peoples inability to follow directions when on planes/at the airport.

Ever. Single. Time. A plane lands, people get out of their seats and start unloading their bags before the fasten seat-belt sign is turned off. They tell you about 37 times before landing that you are to remain seated until the sign goes off. If you have ever traveled on a plane before in your life, it's the same fucking experience every time, in the exact same order, no matter what carrier you fly with: it's impossible not to know everything by heart after your second flight. And yet, AND YET, at least one person ends up immediately as soon as the plan is on the ground, before the motherfucker is at the gate, starting a mad rush that the flight attendants then have to manage. It's astonishing.

I actually really like airports. I've spent a considerable amount of time in ones all over the world over the last decade. East Asia has some pretty kick ass international airports.