As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You Are Now Free To Move About The Cabin

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    god, i love skymall

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    I'm really lucky in that my flights are generally ~ an hour. Just enough time for a quick doze, so peeing isn't a huge concern.

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I prefer the seats with sufficient legroo-ahahahahhahahahahhahahahahaha

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    The only problem with a window seat is when you need to pee!

Slightly concerned about flying this Christmas; just be one seat for me + baby, and I reaaaally pray the baby turns out to be a good flyer and that I don't end up next to a kid hater

Your baby will probably not be a good flyer the first time.

Do it often enough and they will get used to it.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    this is still one of my favorite Penny Arcade strips

215532033_6mdsm-XL-2.jpg

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Skymall is the best part of flying

And none of the TSA shit is a problem for me in practice or in principle

2x39jD4.jpg
    Arang wrote: »
    I don't like flying any more after they started cramping the seats in even more, last time I flew I could not move my legs at all for the duration of the flight

at least I don't get nervous or airsick or bored much, I guess

The "airbus" concept infuriates me.

It largely doesn't exist with the Asian carriers I have flown. Of course, my tickets come at around a grand a pop, but even this cheapest cheap coach seats are comfortable enough to endure 12+ hours of flight in.

I flew an American carrier to Taiwan exactly one time. I didn't realize they still made planes that don't have personal video screens.

• sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    skymall is amazing

flying is awesome

airport security is a pile of shit

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    @Kwoaru, it ought to be. Half of TSA's rules accomplish nothing, and there are a few rather worrying things they are entitled to do.

Also I want a giant wall map, no lie. And those are three of the saner gifts on offer in Skymall!

I've heard that often the problem with babies and flying is that they don't know how to click their ears, and so having something for them to suck on can really help.

sarukun wrote: »
    I don't like flying any more after they started cramping the seats in even more, last time I flew I could not move my legs at all for the duration of the flight

It largely doesn't exist with the Asian carriers I have flown. Of course, my tickets come at around a grand a pop, but even this cheapest cheap coach seats are comfortable enough to endure 12+ hours of flight in.

I flew an American carrier to Taiwan exactly one time. I didn't realize they still made planes that don't have personal video screens.

I've never been on a plane with a personal video screen!

They have a fucking database of films, new releases and classics like Casablanca. I usually watch every movie I told myself I was going to see for the past 6 months instead of sleeping, and get them all in 10 hours.

Then I remember I was going to sleep this time and try to catch like 40 winks before landing.

• ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    i wish i was on a plane right now...

Kwoaru wrote: »
    Skymall is the best part of flying

And none of the TSA shit is a problem for me in practice or in principle

The only thing I really don't enjoy doing is taking my shoes off.

Especially since it's only leaving the country that I seem to have to do it.

Locking the cockpit doors and changing travelers' attitudes towards hijacking (common wisdom used to be that you should just go along with it) have done 10000x more to improve airplane security than the TSA.

Still pissed I can't bring a pocket knife when I travel without checking bags. Nope, my swisscard is a huuuuge threat to national security.

They have a fucking database of films, new releases and classics like Casablanca. I usually watch every movie I told myself I was going to see for the past 6 months instead of sleeping, and get them all in 10 hours.

Then I remember I was going to sleep this time and try to catch like 40 winks before landing.

Sarukun should I move to Asia??

I did forget that I had packed some really nice Drakka Noir stuff in my carry on's after I'd checked my bags in one time. They had to confiscate it. =(

But I haven't done that again, so lesson learned I guess.

Some butthole stole my DS in Korea once.

I was an idiot, I fell asleep with it next to my head on a couch in some lounge at the Incheon Int'l. Airport rather than putting it in my pocket.

I had set an alarm to wake me up in time for my flight and I wanted to make sure I heard it (I sleep quite soundly).

Motherfucker stole my Animal Crossing Town, too.

What, just for the "free" movies on planes?

Or like, legitimately, you're thinking about it?

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    mm mm love going on a plane with an ear infection

nothing like wondering if your head will explode before touchdown

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    :sigh:

Booo!

US security is a bitch, full stop. And they can't even be polite about it half the time.

I've actually had few problems, but a few friends of mine have been treated pretty poorly.

Last time we flew, Mori and I were grilled more *returning* to the US than Mori had been entering the UK! They demanded to know so much. (Btw; me entering the UK? Took three seconds - I didn't even have to say a word to anyone!) Also, the US is still the only country to demand all ten of my fingerprints and to know how I've funded my trip.

My mom likes to read "medical reports" from someplace, maybe the internet, I don't know

And she told me this story like 3 or 4 years ago about a guy who was kind of heavy, like me, and didn't like to get up and move around on a long flight, like me, and he was in his 20s, like I used to be not that long ago, and I guess he got a blood clot in his leg and died when he stood up to get off the plane cuz it went to his brain.

So now everytime I get a headache or sinus pressure or the slightest dizzy feeling or discomfort in my head area while flying, I am convinced that I am about to die, and immediately ask the stewardess for like 6 gallons of water because maybe I can dilute my blood enough that it will fix itself before I die.

And then of course about 10 minutes later I feel stupid.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    "You know what would really fix their little red wagon?" is a phrase that I wish would get more play in daily use.

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Booo!

US security is a bitch, full stop. And they can't even be polite about it half the time.

I've actually had few problems, but a few friends of mine have been treated pretty poorly.

Last time we flew, Mori and I were grilled more *returning* to the US than Mori had been entering the UK! They demanded to know so much. (Btw; me entering the UK? Took three seconds - I didn't even have to say a word to anyone!) Also, the US is still the only country to demand all ten of my fingerprints and to know how I've funded my trip.

"Pregnant, eh? I ain't never heard of no pregnants, you sure your stomach's not stuffed with COCAINE???!"

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    also some planes have internet on them these days.

Internet!

What, just for the "free" movies on planes?

Or like, legitimately, you're thinking about it?

I was joking! I use extra punctuation when I am joking!

Booo!

I think they take fingerprints of all foreign nationals.... although come to think of it, I am not sure about this. I will ask my girlfriend. She didn't have that much to say about the process, other than it took fucking forever (LAX, hurrrrrrrgh).

Booo!

I think they take fingerprints of all foreign nationals.... although come to think of it, I am not sure about this. I will ask my girlfriend. She didn't have that much to say about the process, other than it took fucking forever (LAX, hurrrrrrrgh).

Oh no, I know they do. I'm saying other countries don't.

My mom likes to read "medical reports" from someplace, maybe the internet, I don't know

And she told me this story like 3 or 4 years ago about a guy who was kind of heavy, like me, and didn't like to get up and move around on a long flight, like me, and he was in his 20s, like I used to be not that long ago, and I guess he got a blood clot in his leg and died when he stood up to get off the plane cuz it went to his brain.

So now everytime I get a headache or sinus pressure or the slightest dizzy feeling or discomfort in my head area while flying, I am convinced that I am about to die, and immediately ask the stewardess for like 6 gallons of water because maybe I can dilute my blood enough that it will fix itself before I die.

Yeah, I've done this.

You hear about this guy? http://www.examiner.com/healthy-trends-in-atlanta/xbox-gamer-dies-from-blood-clot-after-playing-too-long

KalTorak wrote: »
    "You know what would really fix their little red wagon?" is a phrase that I wish would get more play in daily use.

I often say "I'll fix your little red wagon" out loud to myself when the mood strikes me for the exact same reason.

edited April 2012
    Booo!

But those other countries aren't AMERICA.

=D Sorry. Most of the TSA stuff doesn't really faze me because I don't feel like it really adds all that much additional time to the whole process if you just go through the motions, but generally speaking arriving in another Country has been a more pleasant, even joyful experience than coming back through Homeland Security.

I don't think there's a BIG difference, but there's definitely *a* difference.

sarukun on

Yeah, I've done this.

You hear about this guy? http://www.examiner.com/healthy-trends-in-atlanta/xbox-gamer-dies-from-blood-clot-after-playing-too-long

I guess I'll just have to die of pulmonary embolism, then.

I had a pretty good run up till now.

• mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    @Slider

I don't think ceres will ban you for posting in here.

Hahahaha

• HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    Booo!

But those other countries aren't AMERICA.

=D Sorry. Most of the TSA stuff doesn't really faze me because I don't feel like it really adds all that much additional time to the whole process if you just go through the motions, but generally speaking arriving in another Country has been a more pleasant, even joyful experience than coming back through Homeland Security.

I don't think there's a BIG difference, but there's definitely *a* difference.
    The convenience or lack thereof bothers me less than the fact that they literally have no right to do some of this stuff.

I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Marth wrote: »
    dbrock270 wrote: »
    I was at the airport in Newark and my flight got delayed for about a day and I dozed off sitting on the ground on woke up to cute little rat staring right at me.

And by cute I mean horrifying.

That's fun! I actually stayed up all night in the Newark airport waiting for another flight the next day, so I got to wander around a mostly-empty airport. Where was this rat?

I don't quit remember where I was since that was the first and only time I've been to that airport, and that was in 2007, but I recall having to go down to some departing area at the end of one of the terminals to get to where my plane was supposed to leave from, it was like I was stuck in a dungeon.

dbrock270 on
  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    i like airports

i could hang out at the one in chicago that i never remember the name of all day

spent most of a day there coming back from texas actually

bought an ipod charger from a vending machine, charged my ipod and ate a double quarter pounder and then took a nasty shit while listening to music for the first time in two months

it was glorious

• SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    I have weak ear drums, so landing is a nightmare for me

Once I flew with a cold, and lost half my hearing and my voice for four days

This used to be me, but I actually grew out of it!

You have a few horror stories on the visa forums

One lady's fiancé was detained, thrown in jail overnight and sent back home the next morning without being permitted to contact her

His crime? They felt he'd made one too many trips (it was his fourth in a year, although he'd only visited for a couple of weeks each time, and he certainly hadn't broken the terms of the visa waiver program) and he LOOKED tough (tattoos, beard). That was all

Same thing happened to a brother of one of my dad's employees... He had applied for a tourist visa once, but been denied, and he didn't realise that when they ask on the form if you've ever been denied a visa that they're talking about resident visas. He checked 'yes', and was sent straight back home without even being allowed to explain why

Also the US is the only country that permits itself to take your laptop and legally demand to know the passwords for everything on it

And of course you have all the news horror stories... Of course it may not happen to YOU, but I'm sure it was pretty traumatic for the 90 year old grandmother/disabled boy/young mother

• mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    most of the time airport workers are super nice to me and everything is quick so the only thing that annoys me is taking off my shoes and having to buy water inside at twice the price

oh and one time i got off a plane for a transfer and the only way to my gate was an airport train-but when i got off the train on the ONLY STOP there was only one way to go and it took me almost out of the airport so i had to re-enter the gate and re-buy my water. still dont know what happened