As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Secret Huntress Fan Club! (DC Comics: The New 52)

• glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I, for one, am hopeful that Shazam will be awesome.

And if it is awesome that he gets his own series.

glithert on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    Munch wrote: »
    bring

back

angel and the ape

Only if they bring back all the really crazy stuff from the Phil Foglio series, like Sam being Grodd's nephew, and having psychic powers, and Angel being Dumb Bunny's sister.

National Comics seems like a fun idea. But, I'm kind of baffled at the starting line-up. Madame Xanadu's already over in Demon Knights. Looker must be someone in editorial's favorite character, given how she showed up in Outsiders a few years back. Kid Eternity's cool, so whatever. Rose and Thorn I could take or leave. It just seems like there are cooler ideas to play with, in the DCU.

It almost seems like an R&D book, a testing ground for TV shows and movies. Seriously, all those descriptions seem like attempts to pitch shows along the lines of CSI, or Burn Notice. Pithy, high-concept ideas that would translate well to an episodic format.

Not that I think there's anything necessarily wrong with that, mind you. Who Is Jake Ellis? read like a movie pitch, too. Heck, I think it's bug-nuts retarded that no one's made a Doctor Mid-Nite comic yet, that reads like House.

see I didn't like sam having psychic powers, because part of the fun of angel and the ape was that people saw sam and just assumed he was just some dude who was ugly and apelike, because apes don't talk. I have always loved that trope, though.

7656367.jpg
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    What would be awesome is a Jeff Lemire Shazam book with the thunder kids.

So, so awesome.

• TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Man, I am so excited for his Kid Eternity. I went back and read the Morrison mini and some of the golden age stuff

Owenashi wrote: »
    HHQma.jpg
    HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE #1
    Written by JAMES ROBINSON
    Art and cover by PHILIP TAN and RUY JOSE
    1:25 Variant cover by DAVE WILKINS
    On sale JULY 4 • 32 pg, FC, 1 of 6, $2.99 US
    Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.
    • HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE return to comics in an all-new miniseries!
    • SKELETOR strikes with his master plan to rule ETERNIA!
    • Can ADAM and the MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE remember what ETERNIA was like in time to save it?

Did they announce this at a con because this kinda came out of nowhere for me when I saw it in the solicits.

I don't understand why I'm excited for this, but I am. I'm probably the only dude on Earth who hasn't read Starman or The Golden Age and is still a huge Robinson fan.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Wait.

So.

Is He-Man part of the new 52 now, or something?

Works for me.

Wait.

So.

Is He-Man part of the new 52 now, or something?

Works for me.

He is going to hang out with the demon knights.

Fight some daemonites.

Get reproportioned by Rob Liefeld.

Watch everyone he ever loved get decapitated before taking on a new, darker costume and power set.

Have a really forced "humorous" exchange with Lobo.

There are so many fun things to do in the New 52!

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Since I tired to find out info about the I vampire Tp that comes out this week
    Can somone help? Is it the reprint of the house of mystery era of comics or the current ones?

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Since I tired to find out info about the I vampire Tp that comes out this week
    Can somone help? Is it the reprint of the house of mystery era of comics or the current ones?

It's probably this: http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-novels/i-vampire just delayed a little.

huntresssig.jpg
  • ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    So for the first time in eight issues, I was disappointed in Batgirl this month. Simone's been building Barbara's Rogues Gallery with each arc and, imo, doing a great job. Mirror and Gretel both had interesting things going for them.

Grotesque looked like he was going to be more of the same and then suddenly ... bam, he was done and his arc was over.

I guess my main complaint was it felt like this last arc was truncated somehow. It could have easily gone for three or more issues where we were given glimpses of origins and motivations. Instead, it seems like Simone had to wrap it up prematurely in order to get ready for the "Court of Owls" crossover event.

I agree with you about it feeling a little cut down, but I think the main thrust of that arc was the Danny Weaver stuff, not Grotesque. That stuff was really well done.

huntresssig.jpg
  • ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    There was definitely a lot in this issue I still enjoyed, for certain. Danny Weaver, her family stuff, etc. The last page was especially awesome.

I just felt like in the previous issue, Grotesque had a bit of a build up that wasn't fulfilled with how he was handled this time around. Hopefully Simone will take another crack at him later down the road.

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Two new digital-first series from DC:
    BATMAN digital, launching in June, will take place outside of DC Comics – The New 52 continuity and feature a series of stand-alone stories by various creators that chronicle different cases handled by The Dark Knight. Confirmed creative teams include Damon Lindelof and Jeff Lemire; Jonathan Larsen and JG Jones; Tom Taylor and Nicola Scott; Ales Kot and Ryan Sook; B. Clay Moore and Ben Templesmith; Steve Niles and Trevor Hairsine; Joe Harris and Jason Masters; TJ Fixman and Christopher Mitten; Jeff Parker and Gabriel Hardman; Joshua Hale Fialkov and Phil Hester; David Tischman and Chris Sprouse; and many more!
    batman-ben-templesmith.jpg
    AME-COMI GIRLS, launching in May, is based on the best-selling product line from DC Collectibles that brings the distinct Japanese influence of anime and manga to DC Comics’ female heroines and their foes. In the new series, the heroines must unite to stop an invasion by the female Braniac, who is aided by a group of “bad girl” super villains. Initially, there will be five individual character arcs with multiple chapters, leading up to united, Ame-Comi girl series. All stories are written by Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray with Wonder Woman art by Amanda Conner and Tony Akins, Batgirl art by Sanford Greene, Duela Dent art by Ted Naifeh, Power Girl art by Mike Bowden and Supergirl art by Santi Casas.
    AmeComiGirls.jpg

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    I am in for both of those.

My color is black to the blind
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    batman could be good but i have no hope for that second thing even with those creators

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    I like the idea of the digital Batman book, but I really wish DC would have just eaten the cost entirely, and made it a free webcomic. How cool would that be? Free Batman comics, for anyone with an internet connection. As is, it seems like a digital Legends of the Dark Knight, the kind of thing I'll buy based entirely on who's working on it.

The Ame-Comi thing sounds terrible, but I can't deny that the level of talent on those stories, is amazing.

Ditto for the Batman one. The thing that bugs me, is that those creators aren't on actual titles. Why's Ted Naifeh doing some Duela Dent story, when the dude should have a Batman book of his own? Why are Parker, Hardman, Hester, Moore, Sprouse, and Templesmith doing Batman shorts, rather than working on ongoings?

I'm sure some of them have other commitments. Hardman's still doing Planet of the Apes, I think, on top of his Marvel work. Templesmith seems like the kind of guy who'd be doing work outside comics, though I don't know that for sure.

But, it amazes me that Hester or Parker's not working on something for DC, full-time.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    DC needs to stop saying DC Comics - The New 52 in their press releases. I mean, will we get some new comics that are DC Comics - The Old, Better Universe? /improv

After the third month or so into the reboot, that's all you needed to use in terms of branding. Now it's just DC Comics or DCnU.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    DC needs to stop saying DC Comics - The New 52 in their press releases. I mean, will we get some new comics that are DC Comics - The Old, Better Universe? /improv

After the third month or so into the reboot, that's all you needed to use in terms of branding. Now it's just DC Comics or DCnU.

They need to stop putting it on their covers too!

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    I'm in for the Ami-Comi one. Batman, eh. Maybe a specific issue here or there if you guys go bonkers over it.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Two new digital-first series from DC:
    BATMAN digital, launching in June, will take place outside of DC Comics – The New 52 continuity and feature a series of stand-alone stories by various creators that chronicle different cases handled by The Dark Knight. Confirmed creative teams include Damon Lindelof and Jeff Lemire; Jonathan Larsen and JG Jones; Tom Taylor and Nicola Scott; Ales Kot and Ryan Sook; B. Clay Moore and Ben Templesmith; Steve Niles and Trevor Hairsine; Joe Harris and Jason Masters; TJ Fixman and Christopher Mitten; Jeff Parker and Gabriel Hardman; Joshua Hale Fialkov and Phil Hester; David Tischman and Chris Sprouse; and many more!
    batman-ben-templesmith.jpg
    AME-COMI GIRLS, launching in May, is based on the best-selling product line from DC Collectibles that brings the distinct Japanese influence of anime and manga to DC Comics’ female heroines and their foes. In the new series, the heroines must unite to stop an invasion by the female Braniac, who is aided by a group of “bad girl” super villains. Initially, there will be five individual character arcs with multiple chapters, leading up to united, Ame-Comi girl series. All stories are written by Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray with Wonder Woman art by Amanda Conner and Tony Akins, Batgirl art by Sanford Greene, Duela Dent art by Ted Naifeh, Power Girl art by Mike Bowden and Supergirl art by Santi Casas.
    AmeComiGirls.jpg

Awesome. I especially like the Ane-Comi Girls series concept. That Wonder Woman cover looks great, too.

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Article on Ame-Comi series at Newsarama. Includes a page of Batgirl art:

AmeComibatgirl-full_02.jpg

That's presumably a female Robin in the right corner of the 1st panel.

steam_sig.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Munch wrote: »
    But, it amazes me that Hester or Parker's not working on something for DC, full-time.

If Parker were to leave Marvel for DC, I would be literally angry with rage.

Centipede Damascus on
    I don't think Parker's leaving Marvel for DC (especially with Dark Avengers coming up), I think it's just all of those exclusivity contracts ending.

huntresssig.jpg
    I am both deeply saddened and deeply excited that Jeff Parker is no longer Marvel exclusive.

That dude should be an architect, but instead he is becoming another one of those dudes who fades into obscurity because he just wrote very good comics without the massive hooks and sales ploys.

• TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Wow, that Ben Templesmith Joker looks like a Jeff Lemire drawing.

Or is it just me

Tairu on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Ame-Comi? Is this another pun that doesn't translate well us for non-native English speakers? I don't get it.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Hensler wrote: »
    Ame-Comi? Is this another pun that doesn't translate well us for non-native English speakers? I don't get it.

it is a bizarre line of creepy "anime" statues of stripper real dolls dressed in shitty slutty halloween costume website costumes inspired by DC comics
    it is awful shit

• glithertglithert Registered User regular
    I've only seen the Wonder Woman doll

It was enough

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have the cat woman one
    I was curious which bat girl it was going to be as they have several figures

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I like that batgirl costume. It reminds me of catwoman's current threads a bit. Maybe it's just the goggles

In case anyone's wondering:

12995_a_full.jpg14175_a_full.jpg

15657_a_full.jpg8440_a_full.jpg

16763_a_full.jpg

steam_sig.png
    :|

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Eh. Those aren't awful, aren't great either. They're really pretty tasteful, not in poses to emphasize upskirt panty looks or anything. Nothing particularly offensive about them unless you find the anime/manga art style, or at least its mixing with American comics characters, just unbearable.

Gaslight on
    steampunk corsetted/gartered genderbent busty joker is hella awful

and power girl has the head of an anime 4 year old with the body of a hentai woman

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    steampunk corsetted/gartered genderbent busty joker is hella awful

Heh. I thought it was Harley at first.

• AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hensler wrote: »

Other have explained what the line is, but to your question: yes.

Ame-Comi = AMErican COMIcs

Most Japanese puns are pretty straightforward.

My problem with the line is they could've found far better artists to do something more interesting, but they seemingly choose artists that draw like a clueless American reader's vision of all Japanese manga.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    it looks like Power Girl has a window for her belly button

but there's no belly button

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    it looks like Power Girl has a window for her belly button

but there's no belly button

this sounds like the end to a campfire horror story

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    that wonder woman is awful

awful

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    y501f.jpg