As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You Are Now Free To Move About The Cabin

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Well, I can do that pinch my nose and blow thing, and that can get some pops, but never seems to do it completely, and the feeling scares me a little. It's really down to hurting for a few hours after landing, and having what I call "under water hearing" for a day or 2. It does not seem like hearing loss persay, but is just kind of like hearing through a blanket or...I am explaining this poorly. If other people can control their ear pressure I'd be curious to know about it! It was only recently I found out that most people DON'T associate pain with flying.
    This is exactly what I get

Lots and lots of swallowing and chewing gum does help a little, and my mother flew successfully having taken some prescribed decongestants, probably similar to what Usagi is saying
    Antimatter wrote: »
    detroit airport is the best thing about detroit

I have not actually been to Detroit, but Detroit airport was pretty nice, yes! I liked the fountains, too!
    Fyndir wrote: »
    the scottish airport whose name i forgot was gross and tiny, but you could keep your shoes on going through it so its super worth it

The major ones are Glasgow, Edinburgh, Prestwick, Aberdeen, Dundee, and Inverness.

"major"

• Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    crwth wrote: »
    oh i have one

on the way to pax last year me and @Romanian My Escutcheon were sat on either side of this kid who was also going to pax

and was absolutely terrified of flying

so we had to talk him through an anxiety attack for the beginning of the flight

cool kid though

we watched adventure time together

Weren't we on the same flight back with him?

Dude handled it like a champ the second time, at least from what I remember.

[IMG][/img]
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Every time I take a flight I bring like 3 books and all the DS games I own, and tell myself I'm finally going to put in some quality time on some of these games and finish these books I've half-read.

And then I watch like 5 movies back to back and sleep for a couple hours and feel silly.

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    I get so much knitting done on planes, and nobody bugs me because of pointy needles

• mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Every time I take a flight I bring like 3 books and all the DS games I own, and tell myself I'm finally going to put in some quality time on some of these games and finish these books I've half-read.

And then I watch like 5 movies back to back and sleep for a couple hours and feel silly.

same for me, except instead of movies i just alternate between sleep and music (while still feeling super jet-lagged by the time i reach aaaa)

Usagi wrote: »
    I fly a bunch for work, so it's going to be nice to have an actual vacation where I don't have to be on time to anything when I get off the plane

Have you ever gotten off the plane somewhere where you don't speak the language?

I use to be absolutely terrified of it but I've done it enough now where it's kind of exciting. Trying to get to the hotel (or better yet, FINDING one) is pretty fun.

I'd like to do it in India some time. =P

Naw, unfortunately everything I've done for work has been in the US. Someday I'll get out of here!

I highly recommend it, there is a lot of rad shit out there, even beyond just getting to where you are staying without having everything you own stolen!

I think maybe that's part of the thrill. Being totally alone in a land where you can't even communicate and still meeting kind people that help you get to where you are going even though they could totally wreck your shit is kind of a gratifying experience.

I can see how maybe not everyone would enjoy it, however, based on how I have described it here. =P

same for me, except instead of movies i just alternate between sleep and music (while still feeling super jet-lagged by the time i reach aaaa)

Sleeping on planes is a recent development for me, I used to be totally unable to sleep on planes. I do a pretty good job of fighting jet lag on the way over, though: it's on the way back that my schedule gets wrecked pretty good.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Goddamn forum eating my post!

• RinderRinder Registered User regular
    I love flying. Flying from Florida to Hawaii was pretty fun. Love Tampa's airport. Really nice and not overbearingly huge. Don't like Atlanta's airport or Dallas'. Rushing through Dallas was not fun at all.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I would love to have a job that involved flying places every so often.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I fly occasionally and I still mostly love it
    All of one time have I been pulled out of line randomly and made to do an extra step of security but it took about 5 minutes

Mostly I think of Louis CK's bit about everything being awesome and nobody being happy about it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk

Go to 2:00

Also I think airports themselves are cool

This is partially because I can now get drunk on long enough layovers, and partially because one of the best days of my entire life largely took place at an airport gate and then the long-delayed flight that followed

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I had to fly to Germany once and spend a bit over a week there for work, so that was pretty fun. It helped that we'd somehow finagled into the contract with the company that sent us over that every flight would be at least business class, so I got the sweet enormous chairs that recline into a full sleeper thing. Couldn't sleep much, but I'd prepared a good supply of anime in advance plus the video player kept me entertained. Probably could have taken advantage of the free booze a lot more, but I wanted to be clear-headed enough to reach the hotel and all that on the way out, and deal with customs on the way in.

The difference between the US and Europe's customs policies was amazing on that trip though- I had to transfer in Sweden, where I answered about four questions and was good to go, and then in Germany there were two doors after the baggage claim, one for if you had anything to declare and one if you didn't. If you had nothing to declare that door went straight into the concourse of the airport, didn't have to talk to anyone or sign anything. Then back in the US I had to wait on three separate half-hour long lines, fill out tons of forms, etc.

Jet lag wasn't ever really an issue for me, though it helped that I was drinking a cup of coffee pretty much every hour for the duration of the trip.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Harrier wrote: »
    Janson wrote: »
    Booo!

US security is a bitch, full stop. And they can't even be polite about it half the time.

I've actually had few problems, but a few friends of mine have been treated pretty poorly.

Last time we flew, Mori and I were grilled more *returning* to the US than Mori had been entering the UK! They demanded to know so much. (Btw; me entering the UK? Took three seconds - I didn't even have to say a word to anyone!) Also, the US is still the only country to demand all ten of my fingerprints and to know how I've funded my trip.

I think they take fingerprints of all foreign nationals.... although come to think of it, I am not sure about this. I will ask my girlfriend. She didn't have that much to say about the process, other than it took fucking forever (LAX, hurrrrrrrgh).

Oh no, I know they do. I'm saying other countries don't.

But those other countries aren't AMERICA.

=D Sorry. Most of the TSA stuff doesn't really faze me because I don't feel like it really adds all that much additional time to the whole process if you just go through the motions, but generally speaking arriving in another Country has been a more pleasant, even joyful experience than coming back through Homeland Security.

I don't think there's a BIG difference, but there's definitely *a* difference.
    The convenience or lack thereof bothers me less than the fact that they literally have no right to do some of this stuff.
    In the sense of there are no laws that allow it or in the sense of it's a violation of your basic civil rights?

Either way, my experience with travel has been "When in Rome..." and not spend a lot of time getting indignant over something that costs me less than 15 minutes total anyway out of a grand total of 20-or-so hours of travel.
    Next they'll mandate patdowns for all passengers, and we'll say nothing. Then they'll make us fingerprint as we go through security, and we'll say nothing.

It's tyranny by a thousand cuts. I have no intention of going along with it.

You always have the most reasonable take on things

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    detroit airport is the best thing about detroit

Well maybe not the best thing

But it's (or at least the McNamara terminal) one of the nicest airports I've been in, every time I fly through there I sit by the shooty water fountain for a while and feel way better for it.

McNamara is really nice. Fountain, giant TV screens, an elevated monorail... it's pretty great!

Denver International was a pretty neat airport

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    The last time I flew I had to go through one of those full-body scans. I had to laugh when, after going through the whole stupid ordeal, they realized that the scan they got of me cut off my arms and head.

They just scanned me with the wand, joked with me a second, told me about the last guy who didn't fit in the scanner being a pro football player and sent me on my way.

I don't usually have a hard time with authority figures and public servant types unless they start it.

My only troubles with flying are trying to secure that treasured aisle seat so my legs don't cramp up.

• WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    I think the best laid-out airport I've been to is Dallas-Fort Worth. Provided that you get in on time, a one-hour layover is no problem whatsoever. It is darn near impossible to get lost, and there are plenty of decent places to eat in every terminal. Going to PAX last year, we even played Munchkin on the floor of our terminal.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    In high school I once flew next to an elderly couple. About half-way into the flight I pulled out some poetry homework for my English class and the elderly man (resembling Roger Moore) began to instruct me on how to use poetry to get with women. At the end of his lecture his wife leaned towards us and added, "And it works!"

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Denver International was a pretty neat airport

It's also part of the New World Order.

Oh shut up with that bullshit

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    dbrock270, if you aren't being serious get off the internet!

God!!!

I wasn't exactly being serious.

dbrock270 wrote: »

I wasn't exactly being serious.

Well
    That's good to know

The creepiest thing about DIA is that crazy bronco statue outside though

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Denver is probably my favorite layover. Such a nice airport! Washington-Dulles isn't bad either. They have a Five Guys! Five Guys is really tasty but DANG do they go overboard with the fries.
    I get so much knitting done on planes, and nobody bugs me because of pointy needles

Hmmm, now that's not a bad idea. I have such a hard time concentrating on planes that it makes reading anything but SkyMall difficult, and sleeping on a plane sucks. Bringing along some crocheting or something to keep my hands busy might be a good middleground

Also forget that EARLIER sauna, here's a PORTABLE one!!

204252417x.jpg
    Sit back and just say ahhhhh to in-home relaxation.
    Uses the ideal temperature range for activating blood and lymph circulation and metabolism.

The extra large Portable Infrared Sauna provides relief from pain, arthritis and joint stiffness and it promotes healthy weight loss without hormonal imbalance.

Two powerful 600-watt heaters provide deep penetrating heat in only one minute. Plus, you can take it anywhere.

Includes folding chair.

Only 399.99!

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I hate flying because I am a tall guy and fucking seriously

airports are great though

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    I hate flying because I am a tall guy and fucking seriously

airports are great though

whine more while I lean my seat back

2x39jD4.jpg
    Fuck patdowns, fuck the TSA, and fuck the brownshirts at the Department of Homeland Security.
    no
    dbrock270 wrote: »
    Fuck patdowns, fuck the TSA, and fuck the brownshirts at the Department of Homeland Security.

FUCK THE GOVERNMENT WE ARE ANONYMOUS WE ARE LEGION.
    That's not the same goddamn thing and you know it.

Patdowns are a flagrant violation of the 4th Amendment. I had best not be touched while going through security unless they have better prior cause than "9/11 9/11 lol."

no

literally the only opinion that matters is scotus and they say you're wrong

so

you're wrong

More specifically, 5 out of 9 Justices say he's wrong.

AMERICA!!!!!

Zonugal wrote: »
    AMERICA!!!!!

it's pretty alright all things considered

• mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    airports rule a lot if you have a good bit of time and money to burn

• ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Booo!

US security is a bitch, full stop. And they can't even be polite about it half the time.

I've actually had few problems, but a few friends of mine have been treated pretty poorly.

Last time we flew, Mori and I were grilled more *returning* to the US than Mori had been entering the UK! They demanded to know so much. (Btw; me entering the UK? Took three seconds - I didn't even have to say a word to anyone!) Also, the US is still the only country to demand all ten of my fingerprints and to know how I've funded my trip.

I think they take fingerprints of all foreign nationals.... although come to think of it, I am not sure about this. I will ask my girlfriend. She didn't have that much to say about the process, other than it took fucking forever (LAX, hurrrrrrrgh).

Oh no, I know they do. I'm saying other countries don't.

But those other countries aren't AMERICA.

=D Sorry. Most of the TSA stuff doesn't really faze me because I don't feel like it really adds all that much additional time to the whole process if you just go through the motions, but generally speaking arriving in another Country has been a more pleasant, even joyful experience than coming back through Homeland Security.

I don't think there's a BIG difference, but there's definitely *a* difference.
    The convenience or lack thereof bothers me less than the fact that they literally have no right to do some of this stuff.
    In the sense of there are no laws that allow it or in the sense of it's a violation of your basic civil rights?

Either way, my experience with travel has been "When in Rome..." and not spend a lot of time getting indignant over something that costs me less than 15 minutes total anyway out of a grand total of 20-or-so hours of travel.
    Next they'll mandate patdowns for all passengers, and we'll say nothing. Then they'll make us fingerprint as we go through security, and we'll say nothing.

It's tyranny by a thousand cuts. I have no intention of going along with it.

That's horse shit.

And I have been patted down by airport security. Took 5 minutes of my time and then I got on the plane.

it is not a thing that should be happening pretty much ever

at all

neither should the shoe horseshit

or most of the ridiculous things the tsa is told to do

don't care that it's legal

it's fucking bullshit

I fly occasionally and I still mostly love it
    All of one time have I been pulled out of line randomly and made to do an extra step of security but it took about 5 minutes

Mostly I think of Louis CK's bit about everything being awesome and nobody being happy about it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk

Go to 2:00

This is basically how I feel.

also the fact that all of the additional security theater is reactionary instead of proactive as well as being invasive doesn't help