As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Friday, April 13, 2012 - Lickr

2»

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Demoscene stuff is also really good for benchmarking. My PC can't even run this on low for example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UchVsOVxYXQ

• Options
    TangoTango Registered User regular
    Good taste, Zilla - that one just came out and won the 64k limited-size competition at Revision just gone (happened the same time as PAX East, so I couldn't go :( ). It's astounding to see how much can be done in 64k and 4k in the scene.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I absolutely love the Merch blanket. And I remember running Second Reality on my dinky old PCs SO many times.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    gloomgloom Oslo, NorwayRegistered User new member
    I'm not surprised at all that the members of the demogroup went on to found all kinds of shit we know and love.
    If you love them, I can't say, but you sure know them. Members of Future Crew went on to fund both Futuremark ("3DMark"), Remedy Entertainment ("Max Payne", "Alan Wake", "Death Rally" etc.) as well as take over the organizing of the huge Finnish demoscene/computer party Assembly (www.assembly.org).

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    But I barely know her!

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeh Gaia runs at a mediocre framerate on my computer at 1920x1080, but I'm not sure if that's my processor or my graphics card.

It is still fantastically impressive. I'm close to graduating with a CS degree and I wouldn't even know where to begin doing something like that. I know basically what they're using to do it (procedural generation, compression, low level code size optimizations) but I'm not even close to that skill level.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    McJohnstableMcJohnstable Registered User regular
    That's where I've been wrong all these years. I'll stop licking feet from now on.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    yurgh D:

... But yeah shaking hands, that's a dumb thing to do.

Anecdotal evidence, but I always shake hands, high five, bro-fist, hug, etc and haven't gotten sick over a bunch of PAXes. I think some people use it as an excuse to be antisocial.

I'm pretty sure you hang out with people who adhere to a basic standard of hygiene

whereas Gabe is regularly exposed to the dregs of society

• Options
    gloomgloom Oslo, NorwayRegistered User new member
    Yeh Gaia runs at a mediocre framerate on my computer at 1920x1080, but I'm not sure if that's my processor or my graphics card.

It is still fantastically impressive. I'm close to graduating with a CS degree and I wouldn't even know where to begin doing something like that. I know basically what they're using to do it (procedural generation, compression, low level code size optimizations) but I'm not even close to that skill level.
    Don't see that as an obstacle though, but rather as inspiration. :) For more demos, be sure to check out the Scene.org Awards.

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    So this is why I never get sick at PAX? More importantly, this is why everyone else gets sick?

Oh, also, best birthday comic.

Hi5 @PikaPuff. Hi5.

But then you'd have to touch Pika and get sick.
    He's not Hi5'ing my tongue.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Balthy13Balthy13 Registered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    So this is why I never get sick at PAX? More importantly, this is why everyone else gets sick?

Oh, also, best birthday comic.

Hi5 @PikaPuff. Hi5.

But then you'd have to touch Pika and get sick.
    He's not Hi5'ing my tongue.

Well why the heck not?

pasig.png
    Tweeters: radixius | Blargh: Wordpress | Sounds: Embol | Castpods: Ragecast | Steam | XBL
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    This explains why the line to get your stuff signed was so long.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    This explains why the line to get your junk signed was so long.

• Options
    RizzRustboltRizzRustbolt Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Thoughts after reading the comic and newspost:
    “Aww, can I give you a hug too?”

“If contact with your average con enthusiast is enough to slip you under the sheets, then me hugging you would be absolutely fatal. Most likely in the slowest and most painful way you could possibly imagine.”

“I don’t know… I have a fairly vivid imagination. I am an artist after all.”

“Well, then imagine this. What if last night, instead of spaghetti bolognaise dinner with its noodles made of semolina and egg, you had in its place a meal consisting of carnivorous tube worms. Like the ones from the GI Joe cartoon, only miniature. Upon having woken up in the corrosive hellhole that you call a stomach, this roiling toothy mass decides that it will enact a daring escape plan. But here, the vermicular mass is divided amongst three camps. The first, being prudent, decide to simply retreat along the entry path they took in to the cavernous pit of your gullet, and begin to wriggle their way back up your throat. The second legion is far more stalwart, and they gamble on descending further in to the rank depths of your intestines in hopes of finding an egress. The third group is the most pragmatic. They take up the tools that nature gave them, and tunnel out through the very walls of your gut in their bid for freedom. All these camps will of course be successful, for the hell of your internals is nothing compared to the dark cosmic joke that spawned them. But that will not make their sojourns any shorter or less harrowing. Upon finishing their tri-fold treks, they will look out on the shattered ruin that was once your youthful temple, and they will proclaim themselves the new gods of this land of filth and viscera.”

“Most people would have just said, ‘No, thanks.’”.

“Most people’s urine doesn’t smell like rancid hog fat.”

“Well, I gotta go. Thanks for coming to PAX, Mr. Santorum.”

Did I go to a weird-place?

RizzRustbolt on
  • Options
    lamelama22lamelama22 Registered User regular
    Tango wrote: »
    Farbrausch have made a lot of good stuff in the last 10 or so years. We also showed .kkrieger at the panel, which was Farbrausch's tech-demo 96-kilobyte FPS. It's not cutting edge in an absolute sense nowadays -- until you realize it's all generated out of a 96k executable!

Oh yea I remember .kkrieger, pretty sure I have it on my computer somewhere. It's a Doom III quality (graphically, at least) FPS in 96k. AMAZING.

Even though I wouldn't say DOOM III is cutting edge today, but it's still better than like 80-90% of what comes out, and still costs a ton of $ to license.

The best part (if I remember correctly) was that the guy saw the first tech demos of Doom III's engine from one of the Quakecons or whatever, when Carmack was first demoing and explaining how the engine and lighting worked, and then he coded up .kkrieger to use similar algorithms and graphics and released it before Doom III came out. AND it ran better on machines of the time! lol.

I wish instead of just seeing or even playing some of the demos, that there were videos or full text explanations even, of some of the code and/or techniques; because it's amazing and at times unbelievable and dare I say... unreal (sry).

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Mmm, I'd say .kkrieger looked more on par with Quake 3 than Doom 3.