As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video Game Industry Thread: Master Chief -- script delivery boy

• amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    How often are you changing your settings? Is this a daily occurrence for you? It shouldn't be.
    Every time I take it over to my friends house?

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    C2B wrote: »
    So, Scott Murphy and Mark Crowe are apparently working together again.

http://guysfromandromeda.com/new-game/

If this is in collabration with Replay (LSL Kickstarter) or their own thing. No idea. Seems like every big sierra vet is crawling out of the woodwork.

What was done to Sierra in the late 90's was criminal. Valve and Relic managed to escape (although Relic.. well.. god, I hope they are still gonna be around). But Dynamix, Papyrus, the entire adventure game team? I was so unbelievably pissed when the Babylon 5 game they were making died.

So yeah.. If nothing else, I'm very glad that Kickstarter is the new Sierra/Lucasarts.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Live can download and install at the same time.

PSN you have to download then install.

Also PS+ requires you use that terrible XMB. If they gave me a new UI for paying for PS+, I would literally buy several years in advance.

If you honestly prefer the 360 dashboard over the slick XMB, you should donate your brain to science when you die

No one else should have to suffer from this disease

I used to like the 360 dashboard more than the PS3 one. Then Microsoft turned it into a multimedia monstrosity.

The 360 is still much better for downloading games though. Everything downloads in the background by default and there's none of that installation nonsense that the PS3 has. I also like how demos are just taken for granted on the 360 whereas on the PS3 they act like demos are some sort of magical gift they bestow upon the unworthy every once in a while.

I've actually found myself enjoying the 360 interface more recently, it just looks a little swisher and seems more pleasant to use. I'd be MUCH happier though if when you turned it on it went to a home page which you could customise with shortcuts for stuff you use.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    plus the ads are very easy to ignore and avoid... i mean do you get mad when you load up a webpage and there are banner ads? i would love if paying for gold made the ads go away, but i am not so annoyed by them that it's a deal breaker. the dashboard is the easiest and smoothest UI of the big 3.
    meanwhile i have used the XMB and it's a sloppy, hard to use system with waaaaay too many menus. home is NOT the same as party chat, whoever said that is very silly goose. the one advantage they have on XMB is actually getting to use a cool background, custom backgrounds on 360 don't really work (or they do, but it's hard to even see what it is). meanwhile i get cross-game party chat, custom soundtracks in every game, and a demo for every XBLA and indie game.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    plus the ads are very easy to ignore and avoid... i mean do you get mad when you load up a webpage and there are banner ads?

If I'm a paying member of that website, abso-fucking-lutely

That is why I joined Giant Bomb (being awesome didn't hurt it), and why I refuse to pay for Hulu Plus when Netflix can stream shows, sometimes the same shows, without the commercials and for less money

UnbreakableVow on
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

If this is in collabration with Replay (LSL Kickstarter) or their own thing. No idea. Seems like every big sierra vet is crawling out of the woodwork.

What was done to Sierra in the late 90's was criminal. Valve and Relic managed to escape (although Relic.. well.. god, I hope they are still gonna be around). But Dynamix, Papyrus, the entire adventure game team? I was so unbelievably pissed when the Babylon 5 game they were making died.

I never actually researched that. But, Al mentioned on reddit that there was a hostile takeover by a board member?
    Sierra went through a dramatic management of people at that time. Ken was the victim of a hostile takeover by one of his board members who proceeded to run the company into the ground. It was new management's decision to stop developing adventure games and instead chase current market trends. Instead of a leader they turned themselves into just another follower.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    plus the ads are very easy to ignore and avoid... i mean do you get mad when you load up a webpage and there are banner ads?

That is why I joined Giant Bomb (being awesome didn't hurt it), and why I refuse to pay for Hulu Plus when Netflix can stream shows, sometimes the same shows, without the commercials and for less money

when you pay for cable, do you get mad they try to slip in commercials? when you buy a magazine, do you rip out the ad pages because they are so disdainful to look at? last i check those subscriptions still feature lots of ads. you pay for things with ads in them all the time. unfortunately the best way to make money is to sell ad space. if you detest seeings ads so much you might go insane in the next few years, because you can't avoid them so might as well just ignore them. it will improve your quality of life.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    When Cable first came out people were pissed that it still had commercials. Then over the past few decades people grew to accept it. Same thing now just different form.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

I never actually researched that. But, Al mentioned on reddit that there was a hostile takeover by a board member?
    Sierra went through a dramatic management of people at that time. Ken was the victim of a hostile takeover by one of his board members who proceeded to run the company into the ground. It was new management's decision to stop developing adventure games and instead chase current market trends. Instead of a leader they turned themselves into just another follower.

I had a subscription to InterACTION at the time, and was emerging on gaming message boards as well. I was invited to be part of the closed beta for Outpost 2, and won a contest from IGN to be part of the closed beta of Homeworld (where I talked to Erin Daly a few times, including getting my ass handed to me by him). So basically I followed the company really closely.

The Hostile Takeover wasn't made public at the time, but it was REALLY obvious that something was up. Ken and Roberta all but disappeared. All their games were changing focus, like Police Quest morphing into SWAT. The fight between Sierra and Valve was epic. Homeworld got next to no support, Cataclysm wasn't even made by the same team (neither was OpFor/Blue Shift, though OpFor was how I learned of Gearbox), and I watched epic things die one by one. And then came the buyouts - culminating in Cedant Software, and then Vivendi.

Still, good things came out of that time. Tribes, Relic, Valve (though Sierra was just their publisher), that first expansion to Diablo... But all in all, it just was painful watching all these awesome things die on the vine, good people get laid off, and nothing getting promoted the way it should.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    I'm actually bothered more by people who channel surf during advertisements to see what else is on than the advertisements during said break themselves. I always have to suppress the impulse to snatch the remote from them violently, lest any bit of the show that was actually being watched gets missed because they're off fucking around on some other channel.

The only time I can say that I actively hate commercials is when its the same ones being show over and over and over. That is usually something that happens frequently on something like Hulu, but then I can just conveniently switch to another tab and do something else with the ad muted. That habit got me thinking that I was taking on that action that I hate, the ADD channel surfing, but I have rationalized it out because watching something online gives you the option to rewind when you go back to it.

NNID: Rehab0
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/14/rumor-microsoft-to-further-monetize-xbox-live-this-holiday/
    Microsoft will implement another way to take your money through Xbox Live this holiday season, according to a description on group product planner Praveen Rutnam's LinkedIn profile. It reads: "Developed strategy to further monetize Xbox LIVE subscriber base that will be implemented for holiday 2012."

Without jumping to any rash, outlandish conclusions based on this vague statement, we can't help but consider what this change could be. One innocent possibility is a phasing-out of Microsoft Points, an event that was rumored in January and refuted in translation by Microsoft Switzerland. A more sinister possibility involves a console-based "online pass" and sacrificial spellwork.

I'm going to guess its something inherently evil, but that's just me.

Each user will have their achievements taken hostage until that user purchases a windows phone or maybe the system Red Rings itself if you do not purchase a set quota of avatar hats.

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    The Two Guys from Andromeda are back together and making a new game?! That's certainly unexpected (I thought they had a bad falling out) but certainly not unwelcome.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »
    I'm actually bothered more by people who channel surf during advertisements to see what else is on than the advertisements during said break themselves. I always have to suppress the impulse to snatch the remote from them violently, lest any bit of the show that was actually being watched gets missed because they're off fucking around on some other channel.
    One of the reasons I hated watching TV with my parents. I think they finally quit doing it when they got ahold of a DVR.

• AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    One of the reasons I hated watching TV with my parents. I think they finally quit doing it when they got ahold of a DVR.

I'm always annoyed by the person crying for me to change the channel back. Even though I always time it so that I don't miss any of the show.

I'm always annoyed by the person crying for me to change the channel back. Even though I always time it so that I don't miss any of the show.

My parents were never precise in their timing: additionally there was always the chance they get distracted by whatever show they skipped back to and forget to change back to the original show.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

My parents were never precise in their timing: additionally there was always the chance they get distracted by whatever show they skipped back to and forget to change back to the original show.

I'm getting the urge to smother them in their sleep just from this description.

Indeed, that is always a possible threat.

And even if you could time it so that you return to the show everyone was watching in time, what do you get out of watching part of something else for a measly 40 seconds or so? I don't get it!

• Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Rather than serve the customer, it seems that most businesses have nothing else better to do than sue each other over patent infringement. History books will one day look back on the turn of the century as the "Era of Patent Infringement" or something even more clever. They'll report that corporations were fighting over the rights of touch controls, operating systems, smileys and now even virtual worlds.

Games Industry International reports that Worlds Inc. filed a lawsuit against Activision Blizzard over World of Warcraft and Call of Duty. According to the company, both franchises violate its patent by using a "system and method for enabling users to interact in a virtual space." Worlds Inc. is naturally seeking compensation because both games allegedly use technologies developed by the company.

"Technologies created by Worlds have helped the businesses of virtual worlds gaming and the sale of virtual goods to grow into a multi-billion dollar industry," said Worlds Inc. CEO Thom Kidrin. "While we are pleased to see that the gaming industry and its rapidly growing customer base have enthusiastically embraced our patented technologies, we deserve fair compensation for their use."

This is the second time Worlds Inc. has sued a publisher over an MMOG. The company went after South Korea-based NCSoft back in 2008, claiming that City of Heroes and its other MMOGs violated patent 7,181,690, aka "System and Method for Enabling Users to Interact in a Virtual Space." The case was filed in the United States District Court, Eastern District of Texas, Tyler Division because NCSoft Corp. had a headquarters in Austin, Texas.

The lawsuit stated that NCSoft illegally incorporated its patented "product" into its MMOGs. As the patent label implies, the "product" deals with creating realistic scalable presentations of 3D virtual worlds, and allowing players to interact in those virtual worlds. But the court eventually ordered a dismissal with prejudice due to a binding settlement between the two companies signed on April 23, 2010. The details of the settlement were not disclosed.

Based on the results of the first lawsuit, Activision Blizzard may end up settling out of court. After that, who will be next on the list? Sony Online Entertainment could be a likely candidate if it's not already.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Call-of-Duty-Patent-Infringement-World-of-Warcraft-Worlds-Inc-NCSoft,15327.html
    huh

Dox the PI on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    They see me patent trollin', they hatin'.

Oh hey, those guys
    450098933_DER3G-L-2.jpg

Patent Trollin' back in 2009

• ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Better put the squeeze down on that fuckin' octopus man.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Activision should take a stand, spend some money and crush the suit to discourage future trolls. Make an example and all that.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    edited April 2012
    This is Activision: they got more money than god right now.. They'll totally spank this patent down. Apparently it was filed August 3rd, 2000 and by it's description, I don't understand how any lawyer worth his salt wouldn't be able to crush this. Link
    The present invention provides a highly scalable architecture for a three-dimensional graphical, multi-user, interactive virtual world system. In a preferred embodiment a plurality of users interact in the three-dimensional, computer-generated graphical space where each user executes a client process to view a virtual world from the perspective of that user. The virtual world shows avatars representing the other users who are neighbors of the user viewing the virtual word. In order that the view can be updated to reflect the motion of the remote user's avatars, motion, information is transmitted to a central server process which provides positions updates to client processes for neighbors of the user at that client process. The client process also uses an environment database to determine which background objects to render as well as to limit the movement of the user's avatar.

I'm pretty sure Quake, released in 1996, offers concrete evidence of prior work. You can't just go patent something that already exists and then sue anyone who uses the idea after the time you patented it, right?

Undead Scottsman on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    If it was filed in August of 2000 and applies to both MMOs and FPS games, there's extensive prior art for both. Both Everquest and Asheron's Call, the first two wholly 3D MMOs I can think of (as opposed to 2D stuff like UO or "2.5D" like The Realm or Meridian 59) both released in 1999 after years in development.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Weird seeing Activision as the victim.

Well, 2012 and all that. The End Times are nigh.

edit-

fix'd hilarious typo.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    They could start an anti-patent-troll kickstarter fight fund. :P

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Live can download and install at the same time.

PSN you have to download then install.

Also PS+ requires you use that terrible XMB. If they gave me a new UI for paying for PS+, I would literally buy several years in advance.

If you honestly prefer the 360 dashboard over the slick XMB, you should donate your brain to science when you die

No one else should have to suffer from this disease

I used to like the 360 dashboard more than the PS3 one. Then Microsoft turned it into a multimedia monstrosity.

The 360 is still much better for downloading games though. Everything downloads in the background by default and there's none of that installation nonsense that the PS3 has. I also like how demos are just taken for granted on the 360 whereas on the PS3 they act like demos are some sort of magical gift they bestow upon the unworthy every once in a while.

I've actually found myself enjoying the 360 interface more recently, it just looks a little swisher and seems more pleasant to use. I'd be MUCH happier though if when you turned it on it went to a home page which you could customise with shortcuts for stuff you use.

It could be because I'm more used to the 360's way of doing things, but the XMB on the PS3 just drives me bonkers. There's waaaaay too many categories to have to wade through, both horizontally and vertically. And the store is atrocious... took me far too long to find Journey yesterday, and that game hasn't even been out that long. Ads aside nearly everything is easier to find on the 360... well, aside from indie games. :( Then again Sony might agree; they recently announced they're retiring the XMB from new products.

Random question... when the Vita gets system updates, can you just accept the update from the notification pop-up? It always irritates me that when the PS3 has an update, you can't update from the notification; you instead have to wade through all the damn XMB stuff to find the system update button.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293

when you pay for cable, do you get mad they try to slip in commercials? when you buy a magazine, do you rip out the ad pages because they are so disdainful to look at? last i check those subscriptions still feature lots of ads. you pay for things with ads in them all the time. unfortunately the best way to make money is to sell ad space. if you detest seeings ads so much you might go insane in the next few years, because you can't avoid them so might as well just ignore them. it will improve your quality of life.

I don't have cable

I don't buy magazines

I live a very ad-free life, surprisingly

The only way I feel I'm missing out is when someone asks me "Oh, do you know that commercial where blah blah blah" and I'm like "...No..."

• ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    The really "worthwhile" ads end up on YouTube anyway, so it's no big deal.

I don't even have a radio goddamn.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
    Zephiran wrote: »

Yeah, exactly. Usually ads I see are ads I see by choice. Because I'm not gonna lie, some of them are entertaining.

I can't even remember the last time I listened to a radio.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular

Yeah, exactly. Usually ads I see are ads I see by choice. Because I'm not gonna lie, some of them are entertaining.

I watched some cable for the first time in years today to see The Legend of Korra.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    This is Activision: they got more money than god right now.. They'll totally spank this patent down. Apparently it was filed August 3rd, 2000 and by it's description, I don't understand how any lawyer worth his salt wouldn't be able to crush this. Link
    The present invention provides a highly scalable architecture for a three-dimensional graphical, multi-user, interactive virtual world system. In a preferred embodiment a plurality of users interact in the three-dimensional, computer-generated graphical space where each user executes a client process to view a virtual world from the perspective of that user. The virtual world shows avatars representing the other users who are neighbors of the user viewing the virtual word. In order that the view can be updated to reflect the motion of the remote user's avatars, motion, information is transmitted to a central server process which provides positions updates to client processes for neighbors of the user at that client process. The client process also uses an environment database to determine which background objects to render as well as to limit the movement of the user's avatar.

I'm pretty sure Quake, released in 1996, offers concrete evidence of prior work. You can't just go patent something that already exists and then sue anyone who uses the idea after the time you patented it, right?

Preface: I am not a lawyer.

But in general from what I've seen on how these cases often progress, that doesn't matter. The reason these companies often get away with not getting fully shut down is because frequently, it's simply cheaper to "settle" than to fight it out for months / years on end to establish that this particular patent owned by this particular company is complete bunk for one reason or another, and cannot be used to sue anyone else in future.

So basically, I wouldn't be surprised if Activision simply did the equivalent of saying "here's $peanuts, now get off my lawn and don't come back", and left it at that.

Which is why patent trolling can be lucrative if done right. And it's pretty much a showcase for why IP law in general today is in massive need of reform.

subedii on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

I watched some cable for the first time in years today to see The Legend of Korra.

YOU NEED TO EXPLAIN THIS RIGHT NOW. What was shown? Trailer? Did it start? I apparently let it drop off my radar..

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    Rather than serve the customer, it seems that most businesses have nothing else better to do than sue each other over patent infringement. History books will one day look back on the turn of the century as the "Era of Patent Infringement" or something even more clever. They'll report that corporations were fighting over the rights of touch controls, operating systems, smileys and now even virtual worlds.

Games Industry International reports that Worlds Inc. filed a lawsuit against Activision Blizzard over World of Warcraft and Call of Duty. According to the company, both franchises violate its patent by using a "system and method for enabling users to interact in a virtual space." Worlds Inc. is naturally seeking compensation because both games allegedly use technologies developed by the company.

"Technologies created by Worlds have helped the businesses of virtual worlds gaming and the sale of virtual goods to grow into a multi-billion dollar industry," said Worlds Inc. CEO Thom Kidrin. "While we are pleased to see that the gaming industry and its rapidly growing customer base have enthusiastically embraced our patented technologies, we deserve fair compensation for their use."

This is the second time Worlds Inc. has sued a publisher over an MMOG. The company went after South Korea-based NCSoft back in 2008, claiming that City of Heroes and its other MMOGs violated patent 7,181,690, aka "System and Method for Enabling Users to Interact in a Virtual Space." The case was filed in the United States District Court, Eastern District of Texas, Tyler Division because NCSoft Corp. had a headquarters in Austin, Texas.

The lawsuit stated that NCSoft illegally incorporated its patented "product" into its MMOGs. As the patent label implies, the "product" deals with creating realistic scalable presentations of 3D virtual worlds, and allowing players to interact in those virtual worlds. But the court eventually ordered a dismissal with prejudice due to a binding settlement between the two companies signed on April 23, 2010. The details of the settlement were not disclosed.

Based on the results of the first lawsuit, Activision Blizzard may end up settling out of court. After that, who will be next on the list? Sony Online Entertainment could be a likely candidate if it's not already.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Call-of-Duty-Patent-Infringement-World-of-Warcraft-Worlds-Inc-NCSoft,15327.html
    huh

... hahahahahahaha

• Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

YOU NEED TO EXPLAIN THIS RIGHT NOW. What was shown? Trailer? Did it start? I apparently let it drop off my radar..

It premiered this morning.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular

I don't have cable

I don't buy magazines

I live a very ad-free life, surprisingly

The only way I feel I'm missing out is when someone asks me "Oh, do you know that commercial where blah blah blah" and I'm like "...No..."

Yes.

Because, if there's something I want to hear instead of a worthwhile conversation, it's an ad regurgitation.

I hate those moments.

• AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular

Why? Nick released it online, for free, one or two weeks ago. Episode 2 as well.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Kinect has helped me and my xbox get along, especially with the new Dashboard. The mic on the kinect is quite good and when I am in the office, I can yell into the living room and it will pick up my commands. This is great for keeping futurama up in the background. :)

Someone mention homescreen customization and I would love that. Quickplay works, but it just becomes another list. For me, given that I can start a game, a movie, stop, pause, etc from just about anywhere open to the living room it's pretty handy. It's like a remote starter for your car, but on Xbox with your voice. Dig it.

That being said, the new Netflix menus are terrible and Hulu is a god damned nightmare. And Xbox Live needs to stop dropping and saying it is my fault when nothing else in my house has single problem. (knock on wood)

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    I stopped using the Xbox for multimedia stuff the moment I got a PS3. I will likely go back to the Xbox at some point, because it has HBO Go, and it's always a good time to watch an episode or two of The Wire, but the PS3 does everything the 360 does outside of that, for free, and without any ads.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.