As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Comic Book Questions Thread International. Of America.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Has anyone, aside from Fraction and Remender, had Punisher use some sci-fi shit lately? I loved it when he stole all of that stuff out of the Avenger's stash. I just wish editorial hadn't messed with Remender's plans. Sigh.

I ask because of the motw thread with Frank and his partner teaming up with Spidey and Daredevil. Frank and whoever use guns and grenades and knives, there really isn't a way to use those weapons and not maim or kill, even in a comic book, unless you have some kind of neat less lethal bullets, maybe Pym particle capsule bullets that turn into something other than bullets right before impact.

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Well, they haven't shown the loadout Frank and Alves are using for the next two issues. So ... maybe?

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    One more Fables question, how are the spin-off miniseries? I'm not going to bother with Jack of Fables but the Arabian Nights so-called prequel I might get along with the Cinderella stuff.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited April 2012
    Arabian Nights and the Cinderella minis are excellent.

You should also read Peter and Max, the prose novel.

Crimsondude on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Wasn't there some Fables miniseries involving the Wolf character supposed to be out by now?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    I don't recall hearing anything about a Bigby mini.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    There is a trade called Wolves of the Heartland being made ala 1001 Nights of Snowfall, dealing with Bigby finding a new Fables home after leaving Fabletown.

Thing is, that plot point is so old now it's not even relevant anymore, but the story is still being made. (who knew a werewolves website would keep track of that?)

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    I recently dove into the podcasting world. Really late on this, I know. Are there any comic podcasts that are worthwhile? If it matters I'm more into Marvel and Batman, but I'm interested in anything that's entertaining, good, and doesn't have super obnoxious people.

steam_sig.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Bullio wrote: »
    I recently dove into the podcasting world. Really late on this, I know. Are there any comic podcasts that are worthwhile? If it matters I'm more into Marvel and Batman, but I'm interested in anything that's entertaining, good, and doesn't have super obnoxious people.

you are in luck! we had a thread about this exact subject recently!

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/157720/you-read-them-you-post-about-them-do-you-listen-to-shows-about-them

personally, I recommend War Rocket Ajax and SILENCE!

Centipede Damascus on
    Ha! Because if there's one thing Chris Sims never talks about on WRA, it's Batman. :D

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    So the new DCU doesn't have fleshed out versions of Earth and what not yet?

But all of the old Earth-1 etc is gone?

Anyone :( ?

steam_sig.png
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Can you explain further? As you've phrased it, the question makes very little sense.

huntresssig.jpg
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    If you are asking about the multiverse, yes it exists, but has not been featured in the new 52 yet. Earth 2 is appearing / featured in the upcoming "Earth Two" and "World's Finest" series and President Superman is appearing in Action Comics #9

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    If you are asking about the multiverse, yes it exists, but has not been featured in the new 52 yet. Earth 2 is appearing / featured in the upcoming "Earth Two" and "World's Finest" series and President Superman is appearing in Action Comics #9

Yeah that's what I was wondering. I didn't know how the new 52 fit into the multiverse or if the entire multiverse has been recreated.

steam_sig.png
  • Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    I don't know if any of you guys live in Socal, but we have this place called Frank and Son that is open every Wednesday and Saturday, and it is awesome. It's essentially a swap meet for sports memorabilia, collectables, and comic books. The best part about the comic book part, the trades sell for 50-75% off the original price. I usually go there and stock up on some good reading material, but I wanted an opinion on some of the things I saw there.

Outsiders by Judd Winnick. The team looks pretty cool, and I've been meaning to read more Nightwing.

Nightwing by Chuck Dixon and various others.

Marvel Team up by Robert Kirkman. I love Invincible, so I figure this is probably good?

I will post others if I remember them. There are tons.

My last trip I picked up the Deluxe Edition of Tom Strong volume 1, the Marvel Maximum Security series, and Countdown: Lord Havok and the Extremists.

Chuck Dixon's Nightwing, especially with Scott McDaniel as the artist, are some of the best comics ever. There's not a bad issue in that 40 issue run.

Winnick's Outsiders read a bit too Mark Millar-ish for me. I remember reading the first 10 or so issues, but just couldn't care for it after that.

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    So, I got the latest X-Force (with Iceman in it). Did that story arc with him start a few issues earlier or was this just a one issue thing? And Iceman is
    bad (don't know if this is a spoiler or not)
    ? Was there a turning point that I could pick up and read?

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    It's the Iceman from the Age of Apocalypse universe, who betrayed the x-men of that universe during the Uncanny X-Force arc "The Dark Angel Saga".

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Seriously, get both the Dark Angel books
    They're magnificent
    Iceman also makes a great villain

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    Turambar wrote: »
    They're magnificent

So, those two books deal with Iceman in some way I suppose, right? I will add it to my Amazon wishlist.

If anyone has other awesome Iceman suggestions, let me know!

bYf6vNQ.png
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    They're magnificent

So, those two books deal with Iceman in some way I suppose, right? I will add it to my Amazon wishlist.

Are you reading Wolverine and the X-Men right now?

X-Men Forever is good on the Iceman, but it's a big boatload of X-Men continuity too.

Hensler wrote: »
    They're magnificent

I just picked up the latest one for the AvX stuff. After reading it, I was thinking of getting the past issues (or waiting on a trade).

bYf6vNQ.png
    Hensler wrote: »
    They're magnificent

I just picked up the latest one for the AvX stuff. After reading it, I was thinking of getting the past issues (or waiting on a trade).

There's a trade soon but you should get the issues anyway. It is that good.

huntresssig.jpg
    And Iceman has been awesome in it.

• SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    Okay, comics questions thread.

You all helped me pick some excellent books for the DC relaunch. I'm seriously loving them.

But let's see. Can we manage similar results with Marvel?

I love the Hulk! I want to actually read something with the Hulk in it. Not red hulk- not Skaar- regular 'ol Hulk.

Alternatively, I mostly buy my marvel stuff in trades. I admit that a big part of me getting floppies for the dc relaunch was being able to jump in from "the beginning".

Is there anything going on like this in marvel, possibly because of the movie?

Avengers Assemble just released its second issue this month, it's meant as an "Accessible" book for the movie fans.

Skullo wrote: »

You all helped me pick some excellent books for the DC relaunch. I'm seriously loving them.

I love the Hulk! I want to actually read something with the Hulk in it. Not red hulk- not Skaar- regular 'ol Hulk.

Alternatively, I mostly buy my marvel stuff in trades. I admit that a big part of me getting floppies for the dc relaunch was being able to jump in from "the beginning".

You should get the first trade and then catch up in floppies for Wolverine and the X-Men. Get Daredevil 10.1 and everything since. (and the stuff before in trades) Hold off on other Avengers/X-Men stuff until AvX is over.

The problem is that it's summer crossover season, so a LOT of stuff is very non-new-reader-friendly right now.

huntresssig.jpg
  • SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    Is Assemble any good? I was flipping through it at the shop today.

I've been planning on getting the Daredevil stuff in trades, since I have pretty much every Daredevil trade already.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Is Assemble any good? I was flipping through it at the shop today.

I've been planning on getting the Daredevil stuff in trades, since I have pretty much every Daredevil trade already.

A bit early to say, but it doesn't look bad so far

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

Greg Pak ended a pretty darn legendary run with Hulk last year. If you want to check that out, it starts with Planet Hulk and World War Hulk. after that, you've got Incredible Hulk: Son of Banner, which, yes, does feature Skaar, but is also about the regular Hulk as well. Then it's Fall of the Hulks, World War Hulks, Dark Son, Chaos War, Planet Savage, and Heart of the Monster.

Stark Disassembled: y/n?

steam_sig.png
    yes

Bullio wrote: »
    Stark Disassembled: y/n?

Yes, it reads a lot better in one sitting as a trade than it did in monthly pieces, like all of Fraction's Iron Man.

• WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    What is galactus up to these days

What happened in ff after franklin summoned him

I see X-Men #1 was "remastered" not long ago. Supposedly the first three issues received some sort of similar treatment awhile ago, as well? Is it possible to find these online anywhere? I'm really curious to see what they did with them.

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    Here are some pages comparing the old one (though this was the super edition #1 with the glossy paper and the gatefold cover) to the new coloring.
    xmen1_old.jpg

prv9746_pg1.jpg

And another single page comparison

xmen1rogueicemancoloring.jpg

Personally I think the colorist went too far and takes away from Lee's art, especially on that big iconic splashpage. And despite X-Men #1 coming near the height of dark and gritty comics, the new coloring makes it feel much more ominous and not as fun with all the dark and purple doomsday background. Coloring wasn't that good back in the day, but you just let it be a sign of the times, tinkering with it doesn't feel right. It feels like the comic equivalent of messing with ET and giving the FBI walkie talkies instead of guns. It makes me wonder if they removed Wolverine and Fury's cigars while they were recoloring it.

TexiKen on
    1991 was hardly the height of dark and gritty.

The coloring changes are appallingly bad.

That is so very 90s, though. Cyclops' pose makes me think less superhero comics and more hard men, hard dicks volume XIV.

huntresssig.jpg
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    i am actually against any and all things like that recoloring

to me, it is like colorizing black and white movies

yeah, sure, maybe they didn't have the technology to be in color/look that smooth

it doesn't mean they are inherently bad and need to be "fixed"

the original coloring adds not only to the feel of the times, but also actually looks better; brighter and maybe a little to whited out, but more...superheroic and innocent, if that makes sense

the 90's X-Men #1 was a product of the 90's, why the hell would you modernize it and make it lose any and all flavor it had before?

7656367.jpg