As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Skullgirls - PC release confirmed

• DubiousAtBestDubiousAtBest Registered User regular
    Masume wrote: »
    I hear ya man, same thing on my end. I mostly play with you and a couple of other PAers and that's about it. Split between ME 2/3 and TOR time doesn't help either, plus like I said I have KoF 13 sitting there which I *know* is a game I will get into. I already had to drop Soulcal 5 like a rock which kind of sucks, because I enjoyed it and I was getting pretty damn good with my Mits.

Yeah, I dropped SCV as well. I liked it it, but not as much as the other games I have. Plus there were even less people playing it. I guess I'll wait and see how the game develops. I really hope it does do well, because it seems like it has everything people always ask for, and at a reasonable price. Now we just have to see if the FGC will hold onto it, or drop it on it's nicely drawn ass.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    One of the things that worries me is that splitting my time between BF3, ME3, SFxT, and Skullgirls will only insure my lack of competency in each.
    I hear yah on the split time thing. My only saving grace is that I pretty much play any shooter kinda game on pure autopilot these days since it's all muscle memory and instinct at this point anyway. Something I really wish I could do with fighting games but am nowhere near at. I am, however, seriously considering just making SG my main fighter and kicking basically everything else to the curb though save for occasional joke rounds of UMvC3 where I just get really liquored up and do dumb shit online for giggles. Skullgirls has got just such a fantastic blend of Guilty Gear/Blaz Blue technicality combined with raw Marvel insanity that I couldn't honestly imagine wanting to play anything else.

Well...at least until Guilty Gear X2 Accent Core hits XBL and then I'll probably run GGAC as a secondary since I'll always <3 that game and functioning online play with it gives me massive gamer wood.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Having mucked around in this game I have to say that the visuals aren't bugging me in the slightest and have actually started to grow on me since it all seems to make an odd sort of sense. Anyone getting on a soapbox to whine about it can eat a bag of dicks as far as I'm concerned.
    This is an incredibly diplomatic way to get your opinion across.

It is a legitimate thing to complain about. Oh, and nobody is getting on a soapbox about it.

YL9WnCY.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    It makes perfect sense to my how the art in this game could bug someone. It doesn't personally bug me, but, if you can't understand how it would bug someone... well, I'd question your ability to empathize. They went for an extreme art style, anything that pushes for a non-standard style is going to have people that are rubbed the wrong way by it and people that like it. I'm personally mostly indifferent about the style. It's all secondary to the gameplay to me, and this game has got gameplay. I feel that the art communicates what is going on in the game very well, and that's what I want.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Masume wrote: »
    I hear ya man, same thing on my end. I mostly play with you and a couple of other PAers and that's about it. Split between ME 2/3 and TOR time doesn't help either, plus like I said I have KoF 13 sitting there which I *know* is a game I will get into. I already had to drop Soulcal 5 like a rock which kind of sucks, because I enjoyed it and I was getting pretty damn good with my Mits.

Yeah, I dropped SCV as well. I liked it it, but not as much as the other games I have. Plus there were even less people playing it. I guess I'll wait and see how the game develops. I really hope it does do well, because it seems like it has everything people always ask for, and at a reasonable price. Now we just have to see if the FGC will hold onto it, or drop it on it's nicely drawn ass.

The game has a learning curve around the same as BlazBlue, but it definitely feels less curbstompy.

Like Even when you're getting your ass kicked it's more "wow this player's got some skills" than "what a broken piece of trash."

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited April 2012
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Having mucked around in this game I have to say that the visuals aren't bugging me in the slightest and have actually started to grow on me since it all seems to make an odd sort of sense. Anyone getting on a soapbox to whine about it can eat a bag of dicks as far as I'm concerned.

It is a legitimate thing to complain about. Oh, and nobody is getting on a soapbox about it.

Alcoholic Alaskan sailor diplomacy is regarded worldwide as the best for of diplomacy. I'm actually an official diplomacy instructor for the CIA but shhh, don't tell anyone.

Your last two sentences kinda show why I get irked when this dead horse keep getting beaten. The people who should be complaining don't actually give a shit. There is no massive female outcry, no scathing nastygrams from female journalists, nadda. So where's the problem? Hell, my girlfriend tried this game with me and she was having fun and didn't even notice the supposedly degrading art style.

Anyhoo, the story mode boss? Yeah, completely unfun. Can't be comboed, can't be thrown, can't be anything. It doesn't even feel like a fighting game boss but more like some weird left over from a shmup. It strikes me as kinda bizarre honestly seeing as how I know that Mike Z has played end game FG bosses before. It wasn't hard once I got that third form figured out after a couple tries but jeez, not fun in the slightest.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited April 2012
    Marie isn't that bad. She's more Galactus than Seth. It's just a matter of knowing your character's hard hits and what supers will hit which of Marie's Modes.

If you have nothing that will hit her in her final mode, dump it all in Mode 2.

Cantido on
    Cantido wrote: »
    Marie isn't that bad. She's more Galactus than Seth. It's just a matter of knowing your character's hard hits and what supers will hit which of Marie's Modes.

If you have nothing that will hit her in her final mode, dump it all in Mode 2.
    It only took me a couple tries to figure her out and beat her. She's not that hard, she's just boring. I guess I just expected more because of Mike Z's Guilty Gear/Blaz Blue background. I was basically hoping for something more like boss I-No or Hazama.

wWuzwvJ.png
    Marie is a nod to some pretty classic fighting game bosses and tradition. Just not a tradition I enjoy.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Marie is a nod to some pretty classic fighting game bosses and tradition. Just not a tradition I enjoy.

final stage is SUCH A PAIN i end up just constantly jumping to get closer but then she shits out little skulls.
    luckily parasoul has a great jumping HP which made quick work of the end boss, otherwise i would have never beat her story mode.

• TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    I'm digging Cerebella's hp assist so much!

it is a dick move, i accidentally use it a ton but it usually turns out in my favor. titan knuckle!

Faust used to be my favorite fighting game character, but Peacock might surpass him. Crazy stuff like her j.mk is so bizarre.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Really loving this game.

I actually think the art style is great, the extreme sexualization is both an homage and a play off of (1) Japanese fighting games and (2) old Betty Boop style 1930s-40s cartoon pin-ups. Just in case you guys didn't notice, you know, the entire visual theme of the game. It's very clearly the case that there is a sense of tongue-in-cheekness to the entire thing.

I also love how there is a very dark streak in the game as well; almost all of the characters are actually really disturbing in one way or another.

edited April 2012
    Winky wrote: »
    Really loving this game.

I actually think the art style is great, the extreme sexualization is both an homage and a play off of (1) Japanese fighting games and (2) old Betty Boop style 1930s-40s cartoon pin-ups. Just in case you guys didn't notice, you know, the entire visual theme of the game. It's very clearly the case that there is a sense of tongue-in-cheekness to the entire thing.

I also love how there is a very dark streak in the game as well; almost all of the characters are actually really disturbing in one way or another.

Yeah, I normally don't care too much about story mode, but Peacock's is NOT what I was expecting. I fully plan on doing everyone else's story because god damn.

And yeah, once I saw how the whole game fit together visually, the art style made total sense. In a lot of ways it reminds me of Bayonetta where everyone was buttmad at her design at first, but once we got our hooks in the game there was this general feeling of everyone going "oh....oooohhhhhhh ok, I get it."

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    http://emlan.deviantart.com/art/Skullchaps-289265360?q=gallery:emlan/2483176&amp;qo=6

http://emlan.deviantart.com/art/Bonus-chaps-290860859?q=gallery:emlan/2483176&amp;qo=5

Skullc(h)aps!

Man, do I hate having to do my bachelor's thesis. I spent 12 hours on that bullshit yesterday, and 90 minutes learning Painwheel. It should be the other way around.

edited April 2012
    Gangsta Peacock
    http://safebooru.org/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=797340

Xbox 360 players pull off nicer combos, but I noticed the Ps3 players are overall better skilled. 360 opponents will learn one massive, cool looking combo. And they'll do anything they can to pull off this particular combo; God help them if their opponent figures out whatever crossup or capture or whatever it is they need to make their one fancy combo happen. Lots of Fillias will turtle endlessly so they can use crouching mk. The crossup people end up getting the shit slapped out of them by Cerebella, for example. Some don't even crossup. They just bounce around eternally. Ps3 players mix it up way better.

I just saw Ms. Fortune's OM NOM NOM move for the first time :D

Cantido on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I use a Ms. Fortune/Valentine combo and I have absolutely no clue what to do against Cerebella. With other characters I can usually trade blows but with her you just fuck up, get punished, and then die.

edited April 2012
    Quick match should not need any further input from me until a match is found.

Turkey on
    edited April 2012
    Double post

Turkey on
  • mp122984mp122984 Registered User regular
    I've been having a lot of fun with Peacock, mostly because I can spam her specials (although I'm beginning to think that that thing where her hat spits out empty shells is some kind of sign I'm overspamming?) I'm trying to think of someone to pair with her though. Still this is really a cool game.

Your last two sentences kinda show why I get irked when this dead horse keep getting beaten. The people who should be complaining don't actually give a shit. There is no massive female outcry, no scathing nastygrams from female journalists, nadda. So where's the problem? Hell, my girlfriend tried this game with me and she was having fun and didn't even notice the supposedly degrading art style.
    Because it's fucking everywhere in video games. You cannot get outraged by this shit unless it's especially flagrant or you'd go insane. Shit, look at your posts. Your posts don't even make goddamn coherent sense: "Eat a bag of dicks if you get on a soapbox over this." yet "There's no outcry so it's not a big deal!" What the fuck is someone supposed to do besides shut up and let you play your video game? Because, you know, that's really what's important.

Has it ever occurred to you can enjoy a product while calling it out on the problematic aspects of it? This is a thing you can do!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    how is it a problematic aspect, it's clearly a reference/homage to something else (which they do quite a bit in the game)

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
    edited April 2012
    Winky wrote: »
    I use a Ms. Fortune/Valentine combo and I have absolutely no clue what to do against Cerebella. With other characters I can usually trade blows but with her you just fuck up, get punished, and then die.

Grapplers require a different style to beat. Remember if you are jumping, like, even if you are in frame 1 of a jump, any throws will whiff you (though her anti-air through can of course grab you). Also watch out for tick through set ups (they make you block a move and then try to throw you the frame you get out of blockstun, as when you are in blockstun you are unthrowable). Good use of pushblock can get you out of this situation. I run Ms. Fortune/Peacock so against Cerebella I just usually zone her to hell and black with Peacock or try to keep her trapped in a corner lockdown with Ms. Fortune + assists.

Raz: It's of course a subjective thing if the art style is problematic or not. It's problematic to you and I respect your opinion on this. It personally is not problematic to me at all.

Inquisitor on
    Is Baccano anything like Skullgirls in terms of era and mood?

• Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Is Baccano anything like Skullgirls in terms of era and mood?

I suppose, yes. The artstyle's very normal though (but still nice, and well animated), and there are no cat girls or cyborgs or whatever (a few other strange things though...). LOTS of in media res so it can get confusing at times, especially the first episode. Can get as violent as Skullgirls. Definately worth watching. Wish they'd make a second season...

Also, best instrumental opening ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msg8ypnLqaw

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
    Well I figued both were "mobsters and Cthulhu." And that's awesome.

So to get conversation back on, you know, the game that we are playing: Do you guys know how to unlock all the different colors for a character? The only one I know is clearing the storymode?

edited April 2012

Because it's fucking everywhere in video games. You cannot get outraged by this shit unless it's especially flagrant or you'd go insane. Shit, look at your posts. Your posts don't even make goddamn coherent sense: "Eat a bag of dicks if you get on a soapbox over this." yet "There's no outcry so it's not a big deal!" What the fuck is someone supposed to do besides shut up and let you play your video game? Because, you know, that's really what's important.

Has it ever occurred to you can enjoy a product while calling it out on the problematic aspects of it? This is a thing you can do!
    *sigh*
    So close to figuring out what I'm actually saying but never quite zeroing in on it. I guess I'm being just a wee bit too diplomatic:
    There's no real outcry from the people who should be mad about it however you've chosen to get mad about it. Take a wild guess what I'm actually trying to say while being polite (in my own ineloquent way) about it.

This whole thing reminds me of that guy who wrote an article on Kotaku about the "undiscussed homophobia in Battlefield 3" but in his opening called himself a "straight, white, privileged (no, I'm not making that up) male." To which everyone said "well if actual gay people don't give a fuck, why are you trying to champion this?" He didn't get what everyone else was saying at all. :(
    Spoilered to keep from shitting the thread up too bad.
    Do you guys know how to unlock all the different colors for a character? The only one I know is clearing the storymode?
    There's a code that unlocks the 10th pallete. Some old SF2 thingy.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    Clearing arcade and story both unlock colors. In arcade, every character used unlocks one.

• ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    Turkey wrote: »
    Clearing arcade and story both unlock colors. In arcade, every character used unlocks one.

Color 7 => Beat story mode with the character.
    Color 8 => Beat arcade mode with the character.
    Color 9 => Win ~25 matches with the character. Possibly in any mode, possibly not, yet to look more into this.
    Color 10 => SNES SF2 mirror match code. On 360 buttons match the code, on PS3 button locations match the code.

• ContentContextContentContext Registered User regular

*sigh*
    So close to figuring out what I'm actually saying but never quite zeroing in on it. I guess I'm being just a wee bit too diplomatic:
    There's no real outcry from the people who should be mad about it however you've chosen to get mad about it. Take a wild guess what I'm actually trying to say while being polite (in my own ineloquent way) about it.

This whole thing reminds me of that guy who wrote an article on Kotaku about the "undiscussed homophobia in Battlefield 3" but in his opening called himself a "straight, white, privileged (no, I'm not making that up) male." To which everyone said "well if actual gay people don't give a fuck, why are you trying to champion this?" He didn't get what everyone else was saying at all. :(
    Spoilered to keep from shitting the thread up too bad.
    Do you guys know how to unlock all the different colors for a character? The only one I know is clearing the storymode?
    There's a code that unlocks the 10th pallete. Some old SF2 thingy.
    Go to local versus. On the player/controller selection screen, input down, r1/rb, up, l1/lb, ?/y, ?/b, for ps3/360 respectively. Can't remember the last 2 on ps3(which is weird, since I own that one), but I think they're square and X.

• AbsurðrAbsurðr Näkrå maximum fucking hellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

*sigh*

You're also missing what he's saying in your attempt to shut the issue out. Your original post was "this is my opinion and goose you if you disagree," then you tried to remove yourself from the argument by invoking silent majority and claiming the issue doesn't exist anyways. Just because you're not interested in talking about this aspect of the game doesn't mean you can quash others' discussion. At this point, you're really just irritating Raz into arguing more, not making strong points against the art criticisms. Even if you're not a part of a marginalized group, it's still totally viable to take issue on their behalf. Raz isn't white knighting here, he is pointing out that games are still very much so dominated by the Male Gaze to the extent that no, no one is really surprised by Skullgirls, but they can still criticize it. It's certainly more their right than for you to say "people complaining about this are wrong but really no one is complaining so if you do you're all alone."

The 10th pallete codes (from Shoryuken):
    360 version, go to Versus, then local. At the controller/player screen press in order: Down -> RB -> Up -> LB -> Y -> B
    ps3 Down, R1, Up, L1,Square,X

Absurðr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    I tried the demo before heading to work today and was impressed enough to buy it. I'm terrible, but if anyone on XBL wants someone to beat on toss me an invite. My tag is That Stone Dude, and I'm on pretty much constantly during the week.

• Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Holy shit top 8 skullgirls stream was amazing tonight.

Might need to take this game more seriously now.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
    edited April 2012
    No, it doesn't? A lot of the sources are also not exactly flattering depictions of women.
    TOGSolid wrote:
    *sigh*

You, on the other hand, are far off in space. There are light years between the point and yourself. You have made a contradictory statement: one is to choke on dicks if outraged and atop a soapbox, but one cannot complain unless there is outrage? You got some Catch-22 shit going on that you might want to deal with. You know, it helps to solve internal conflicts before sharing your opinion with others.

You are saying that you have not seen women raise voice about it. Well, they have, but it's fucking everywhere in video games so you're not going to see an explosion of outrage. This is not a rare, exotic species in the medium of video games (or anything, for that matter) We've been over this, so why are you bringing it up again? Are you implying that I need a permission slip from a woman to voice a complaint? Maybe I really am off the point, and you aren't implying something this crazy. If so, I apologi- oh wait, your second paragraph confirms the level of crazy. Well, shit.

Because I have to repeat myself: Skullgirls has boilerplate design flaws. There's certainly worse out there, such as Girl Fight (but that's a shitty, artistically bankrupt game), but that doesn't mean Skullgirls is off the hook. If women were to lather themselves in a rage over this shit, it'd be one long, generations-spanning campaign of anguish. You are not a bad person for enjoying the game: I watch tons of videos myself! But you can simultaneously enjoy the game and say "You know, maybe we don't need the characters showing frequent panty shots and having ridiculous jiggle animation."

Just a reminder: there are degrees to this shtick. This shit can be nuanced, and one does not have to be in a hot rage or chilly indifference. I am not writing angry letters or whipping up embittered blogs over this.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • AbsurðrAbsurðr Näkrå maximum fucking hellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Cantido, imagine that someone makes an album that's an homage to all the classic NSBM artists, including lyrics. They even exaggerate some of the elements in ways that can be construed as bad taste. But it's a totally killer album - the riffs and traditional folk instruments all perfectly revive the glory of old Europa and the purity of the people therein. Yet some listeners complain, wishing they could have toned down the NS bit. You're saying that it would somehow alter that aspect to take into account that the material serves as a tribute?

I don't think I've managed to beat Marie on normal. Once you get to that last form she spams too many skulls and moves too much to keep on her. I'm really liking hard difficulty for arcade, so I just quit out once I get to her.

Painwheel, Valentine, and Ms. Fortune are my go-to's. I think I like Painwheel so much because she reminds me of playing Smash what with her chargeable normals. I'm starting to really like Double as well though - understanding how useful her "dash" move is tipped things a bit. I still don't like Filia or Parasoul, dunno, too plain compared to the others.

Had an AI Valentine defib one of her KO'd teammates tonight, which was really cool.

Absurðr on
    steam_sig.png
    i mean, i guess as far as fighting games go this one is pretty damn tame. they certainly have more personality than most characters in these types of games. basically if you focus on just the art you're missing some of the best parts of the game (the in depth tutorial, the fantastic online, the extremely well-balanced gameplay).

it does not really seem to warrant several paragraph arguments but whatevs