As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PATV] Friday, April 13, 2012 - Penny Arcade: The Series Season 3, Ep. 22: ArenaNet

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited April 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Penny Arcade: The Series Season 3, Ep. 22: ArenaNet
http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/arenanet
Tastefully straddling the line between documentary and guilty-pleasure voyeurism, Penny Arcade: The Series collects the bizarre continuum of one of the world's strangest companies. In this episode the team test their ping pong skills against a tough new opponent: ArenaNet.

Geth on

• Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    Oddly anti-climatic...

• Options
    Good Looking Fat GuyGood Looking Fat Guy West Hartford, CTRegistered User regular
    Well, it'll be really hard to top the Bungie match, that was one for the ages. The Law of Averages says that not all contests are epic. (That's a very liberal reading of that Law, yes, but...)

• Options
    True, I spent the whole episode waiting for the "it's neck and neck" then Khoo would step out from some dry ice to a guitar riff.

I guess real life isn't always like that :(

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    We did get that awesome shot of Khoo at about 11:00.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mnihilmnihil Registered User regular
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    Oddly anti-climatic...

True, but at the same time I feel as though they were never trying to build up to a climax. This felt more like a documentary on a train crash or whatever - you know the outcome isn't good going in.

I don't know if they pulled it off, though. In my opinion, PATV started fraying at the edges this season.
    Still, any episode that showcases the entire PA crew is fun.

• Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Why did they play the last match when they were playing to best of 9?

Ivar on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Cause people wanted to play some Ping Pong.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular

"I never asked for this."

• Options
    AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    You don't invite Penny Arcade over for a match and send them home without seeing the Khoo Fu. And it was very gentlemanly to let them leave with a 5-4 instead of a 5-3.

• Options
    TelekineticTelekinetic Registered User regular
    Is it just me or was the sound mastering way off in this episode? There were several times I couldn't hear what people were saying over the background music.

• Options
    The Last GentThe Last Gent Registered User regular
    Someone needs to make an Image Macro of that shot near the end of Khoo staring dramatically, with the caption of the other team's calling him "The Infamous Robert Khoo."

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Daves hair is absolutely glorious.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    PS: tits.

Has the banner thing happened yet? :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    Props to the Coffro.

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Options
    SlaignSlaign Registered User regular

As soon as I saw that, I set to work on this:

robert_khoo___pong_by_jlnagel-d4w556y.jpg

If you'd like to comment or favorite it on DeviantArt, Click Here. :) Thanks!

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    So was @Veretas in this video somewhere, or was this a different ping pong challenge?

I recall him posting about it in SE somewhere and calling Khoo out.

• Options
    mnihil wrote: »
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    Oddly anti-climatic...
    In my opinion, PATV started fraying at the edges this season.
    Still, any episode that showcases the entire PA crew is fun.

I agree, I think 2 Player Productions did a better show frankly, although Season 2 was still a little better, too many 4th Panels this season for my liking. To play devils advocate, maybe there is only so much content you can put out there without repeating episodes.

• Options
    voldaranvoldaran Registered User regular
    Is it just me or was the sound mastering way off in this episode? There were several times I couldn't hear what people were saying over the background music.

THIS.

try out my new game on Android Market! graBLOX
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    You do not disappoint the Dark Master.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Personally, I love the 4th Panels. I see a lot of people saying there are to many of them, but I wish we had one for every comic. I find them the funniest episodes, and I generally watch to laugh.

That said, I do really enjoy the behind the scenes episodes, and I like the entire crew.

I'm sure it would be cost prohibitive, but I'd love to see PATV split into two shows, one about the office life, and one just called 4th Panel which is half an hour long and goes up weekly showing the creative process behind each week's 3 comics.

I can see how people who most enjoy the office life episodes would be disappointed with this season, but as someone whose favorite part is 4th Panel, I'm loving it.

• Options
    HibrydHibryd Registered User new member
    Maybe they should be working on GW2 instead of pinging pongs. Hate to break the superfriendlyfuntime basement LAN party atmosphere but as a business that sells goods on an open marketplace, "its ready when its ready" doesn't sound very good, especially after what...5 years?

GW2 also isn't the only next-gen MMO coming out of the oven.

It's 2012, friendo's.

• Options
    Hibryd wrote: »
    Maybe they should be working on GW2 instead of pinging pongs. Hate to break the superfriendlyfuntime basement LAN party atmosphere but as a business that sells goods on an open marketplace, "its ready when its ready" doesn't sound very good, especially after what...5 years?

It's 2012, friendo's.

That's ignorant. What makes you think they were playing during work hours? Like company baseball and volleyball teams, this is most likely an activity employees do to socialize outside of work. It's possible they have a table available to play during breaks, but that is certainly not unreasonable.

These are people. Not your game slaves. They work extremely hard to provide entertainment to the masses, very often working extremely stressful hours doing extremely stressful things under extremely tight deadlines. You're going to come on here and complain about them being allowed to behave like human beings and have a little leisure time? That's disgusting. It exemplifies the entitled attitude that is wrong with today's society.

People require leisure, fun, and socialization to be healthy. Game developers are no different. Just because they are working on a product you want doesn't give you the right to demand those things be taken away from them.

You really want to see a good game turn crappy right quick? Slave-drive the developers into a soulless depression and rush the product out of the door as fast as possible. This isn't mindless physical labor where you can get acceptable results out of depressed and apathetic people. Creatives need an environment that fosters creativity.

• Options
    Ori KleinOri Klein Registered User regular
    Drama: Did Jamie get married?

Sport: From the, very short, looks of it Robert would've iced Randy. So had it came to a tie, PA would've won.

Which means that Randy has a lot of training to do upto their rematch. Hopefully, the next one will find the PA crew with high spirits and more focused training as well.
    A close match, even lost, is far more entertaining.

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    voldaran wrote: »

THIS.

Yeah it was pretty quiet on the dialog, especially at the beginning

sig.png
  • Options
    AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Slaign wrote: »

It's 2012, friendo's.
    That's ignorant. What makes you think they were playing during work hours? Like company baseball and volleyball teams, this is most likely an activity employees do to socialize outside of work. It's possible they have a table available to play during breaks, but that is certainly not unreasonable.

These are people. Not your game slaves. They work extremely hard to provide entertainment to the masses, very often working extremely stressful hours doing extremely stressful things under extremely tight deadlines. You're going to come on here and complain about them being allowed to behave like human beings and have a little leisure time? That's disgusting. It exemplifies the entitled attitude that is wrong with today's society.

People require leisure, fun, and socialization to be healthy. Game developers are no different. Just because they are working on a product you want doesn't give you the right to demand those things be taken away from them.

You really want to see a good game turn crappy right quick? Slave-drive the developers into a soulless depression and rush the product out of the door as fast as possible. This isn't mindless physical labor where you can get acceptable results out of depressed and apathetic people. Creatives need an environment that fosters creativity.
    Spoiler for length.

I'm willing to assume that comment was some kind of joke. At any rate, saying something like "as a business that sells goods on an open marketplace, 'its ready when its ready' doesn't sound very good" is pretty dishonest when you know you're going buy (have probably already bought) the most expensive version of the game anyway. You want the game they're making real bad; that actually puts the ball in their court, market-wise. So take it easy and be happy your guys won.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Err, why is it so "awful" and "embarrassing" to lose 4-5? You can't get much closer than that without, you know, winning.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Err, why is it so "awful" and "embarrassing" to lose 4-5? You can't get much closer than that without, you know, winning.

Because they didn't win.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular

It's 2012, friendo's.

Why would you even have time for a videogame, do you not have to produce goods to sell on an open marketplace?

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    My assumption is that they played the last game to see if they could bring shame to Khoo and his family.

Of course, what they got was some hott topspin delivered by the avatar of truth and might itself.

• Options
    PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    I find it funny that at PAX I made a joke to Brian about losing the Bungie match, and the next week it's a video of him just dominating someone. So, my bad Brian, you're better than that.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I'm on my company's culture club. We're trying to figure out exactly what our culture is, and how to bring everyone together and work better.

I'm insanely jealous of everything I see out of the Penny Arcade offices. I want to make us closer to that, but we're studying Zappos right now. Plus, we don't have room for Ping Pong. Plus Plus, I don't think anyone does ping pong in the Central Illinois area.

Well, other than those guys who made that Street Fighter-esque live action ping pong duel video. One of them was wearing an Illinois State shirt.. (Probably sold by my former employer too. :) )

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    The new highers are bringing down the ping pong team!

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Rehab wrote: »
    The new highers are bringing down the ping pong team!

Hires* and not really, they just need practice. Khoo literally said that they haven't been playing as often, where as ArenaNET's been training their asses off when they're not working on GW2. The new rules will take care of that.

P.S. I love ping pong episodes. Get more companies to challenge you.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I'm on my company's culture club.
    27513_Culture+Club.jpg

?

• Options
    OmegaPlatinumOmegaPlatinum Registered User regular
    Does anyone else want to see a live stream on twitch of PA vs Arena.net's rematch? Or just me?

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Does anyone else want to see a live stream on twitch of PA vs Arena.net's rematch? Or just me?

I, for one, think there would be a hell of a market for a "sports network" of amateur office leagues involving video game personalities and artists of all stripes. As long as it wasn't treated seriously in any way, shape, or form.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    After every PATV GIPPL episode I go on a ping pong kick for about a week. Trying to find a place around me I could play other people and looking up prices of new paddles and perhaps a table for myself. Then I get disappointed after not finding anyone to play and watch Ping Pong the movie again.

I'd love to see unedited video of each match. I'd probably be unable to watch a live stream, but if they'd put the full matches on PATV that'd be fantastic.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    GIPPL?

• Options
    agilemaniaagilemania Lyon EstatesRegistered User regular
    Ivar wrote: »
    GIPPL?
    Game Industry Ping Pong League, the name of the league that PA has tried to start.

From an old thread (http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/136866/pa-the-series-season-2-episode-12-screenlife-part-ii):
    Penny Arcade has been trying to push for a game industry ping pong league (you'll see the word GIPPL every now and then on our whiteboards) for a few years now. We've gotten Popcap, Amaze/F9, Surreal/Midway, Popcap, Microsoft, Bungie, Screenlife, Suckerpunch and Sony Online Entertainment to all participate. It's tough tho - game release schedules are tough to work around.

Based on the comments that it had been a year since their last match (Bungie), it seems like not much has changed in regards to getting a regular league up and running.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    They still use the #gippl tag on twitter posts when they post updates during the matches.

4dm3dwuxq302.png