As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video Game Industry Thread: Master Chief -- script delivery boy

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Just set it before emergence day.
    Come on, who would want to play a little footballthrashball with Marcus?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »
    I fucking hate this country.

Because people enjoy a cartoon?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Don't be prejudiced.

In anything, it's the entire world that deserves that hate. Spread it around instead of being stingy and selective.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Ey, it's just really well made. If McDonalds introduced an edible product, but it was only in Happy Meals, would you be mad that adults bought it? :/

Anyway! About Gears of Kinect... Is there anything stopping Kinect games from using a controller in addition to the motion control stuff? Seems like that'd be the way to go - keep it for ancilliary features, just don't even bother trying to make it the core of the game.

Oh brilliant
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Ey, it's just really well made. If McDonalds introduced an edible product, but it was only in Happy Meals, would you be mad that adults bought it? :/

Anyway! About Gears of Kinect... Is there anything stopping Kinect games from using a controller in addition to the motion control stuff? Seems like that'd be the way to go - keep it for ancilliary features, just don't even bother trying to make it the core of the game.

Probably not, other than the fact that the 360 controller is a pain to use with one hand, and having to pick it up and put it down constantly would be a pain.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Active reload with an invisible gun...
    How is this game not coming out? It writes itself!

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    There has yet to be a motion control game that has proper pistol whipping. That is important. Why don't we have it yet?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I think the Steel Battalion game has controller + Kinect controls if I'm not mistaken.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    On the one hand, the 360's dash is loaded with ads.

On the other, the XMB and various sub-menus are a pain to navigate.

For me at least, laziness wins out.

Though I'm still pretty baffled that Sony seems to have done very, very little to improve the PS3's XMB once it came out. I mean, I can't be the only person griping that the PS3's seemingly thrice-weekly system updates require you to dig around in the menu to find the "system update" button.

It is easier to ignore silent ads (only making noise if you drag over them) then being required to sort through poorly laid out menus (which is funny, because they were poorly laid out....3 years ago as well. The more things change....). Hell, PSN store is fucking packed with ads, and that's the last of my complaints about it.

I do wish there was more customization. To my knowledge, there's no customization options for XMB either, and some things, like memory card management, would be difficult to do worse...

Still, I can see people hating those ads on principle. I don't mind the most recent update, since it actually works extremely well with Kinect (being able to see everythings names immediately, and pick them all quickly without sorting within a tab).

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular

Because people enjoy a cartoon?

I've got something to admit to you guys...

On the very few occasions that I do watch TV...all I watch is Boomerang.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    So the latest rumor is that Spark Unlimited is also working on an Onimusha reboot.
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=470371

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    ...I would be up for an Onimusha reboot since I enjoyed the first two.

That being said I don't know...Spark Unlimited portfolio doesn't exactly seem like that'd be a great pick for a Eastern Samarui action game. So...probably BS.

Edit: That being said their job listings is interesting.
    (Lead Designer)-Third-person action combat or horror level design experience. Experience designing 3rd person action combat tactics and weapons.
    (Senior Designer)-Third-person action combat level design experience. Experience designing 3rd person action combat tactics and weapons and scenarios.
    (Character Animator)-Third person sword or melee combat genre experience.

So...maybe.

Dragkonias on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Back on topic, Cliffy B unveils his inner Jack Black.
    Epic Games design director Cliff Bleszinski has sounded off concerning his hopes for future-generation consoles. Speaking with GameSpot at PAX East 2012 last week, the developer said he wants a leap in visual fidelity to be a big part of next-gen systems.

"Face-melting graphics," he said. "I really want our next-generation consoles to pass what I call the 'Mom Test.' So that if you were to show this console and games to your mom, she would be like, 'Wow, that clearly looks better than your last console.' And it's an essential step that needs to be taken by both Sony and Microsoft."

Bleszinski also noted that he hopes future-generation consoles require users to be constantly connected to the Internet.

"Always-connected consoles that basically require an Internet connection. So that I can just wake up in the morning and say, 'Oh a new demo has been downloaded on my hard drive, so I can check it out.' As well as considering streaming gaming from the cloud, which would be very nice."

Finally, Bleszinski noted his admiration for motion controls and reiterated a rumor that a future-generation Xbox could sport a built-in Kinect.

"The other things I want to see are gesture-based controls," he said. "I think Kinect is quite cool, and I'm a big fan of using Kinect to control movies with Netflix. Maybe it will be built in [to a future generation Xbox], maybe it won't. We'll have to see what actually comes out of that."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/face-melting-graphics-needed-for-next-gen-says-gears-of-war-dev-6371569

Sounds like he's not too bitter about Gears of Kinect not working out.

This is why I hate Cliffy B. If I'm not mistaken, he's the guy who looked at Mirror's Edge when it was being previewed and said, "Where's the guns and combat? They need to show us more of that." Like he didn't understand that there's more to games than shooting shit and super high res graphics. What an annoying guy he is, I swear.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Epic Games design director Cliff Bleszinski has sounded off concerning his hopes for future-generation consoles. Speaking with GameSpot at PAX East 2012 last week, the developer said he wants a leap in visual fidelity to be a big part of next-gen systems.

"Face-melting graphics," he said. "I really want our next-generation consoles to pass what I call the 'Mom Test.' So that if you were to show this console and games to your mom, she would be like, 'Wow, that clearly looks better than your last console.' And it's an essential step that needs to be taken by both Sony and Microsoft."

Bleszinski also noted that he hopes future-generation consoles require users to be constantly connected to the Internet.

"Always-connected consoles that basically require an Internet connection. So that I can just wake up in the morning and say, 'Oh a new demo has been downloaded on my hard drive, so I can check it out.' As well as considering streaming gaming from the cloud, which would be very nice."

Finally, Bleszinski noted his admiration for motion controls and reiterated a rumor that a future-generation Xbox could sport a built-in Kinect.

"The other things I want to see are gesture-based controls," he said. "I think Kinect is quite cool, and I'm a big fan of using Kinect to control movies with Netflix. Maybe it will be built in [to a future generation Xbox], maybe it won't. We'll have to see what actually comes out of that."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/face-melting-graphics-needed-for-next-gen-says-gears-of-war-dev-6371569

This is why I hate Cliffy B. If I'm not mistaken, he's the guy who looked at Mirror's Edge when it was being previewed and said, "Where's the guns and combat? They need to show us more of that." Like he didn't understand that there's more to games than shooting shit and super high res graphics. What an annoying guy he is, I swear.

That sounds hilarious. Got a link?

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    wait what is "brony epidemic" and "mlp"?

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magical is a kids show.

Well made for a kids show. Has somehow attracted a huge online fandom of adult men called "Bronies".

And ... yeah.

Unsurprisingly a good sized chunk of bronies are also furries. Read into that whatever you want.

These days he represents pretty much everything wrong with modern video games, which is a shame because back in the Epic Pinball/Jazz Jackrabbit days I was a big fan of Epic Megagames.

wWuzwvJ.png
    Operation Raccoon City succeeded because it had a popular type of gameplay (multiplayer shooter), the Resident Evil name, and was on consoles with high userbases. Any developer could have produced something similar. Slant Six did a poor job on everything but the most basic stuff that it probably had little influence over. I doubt Capcom wanted anything other than an online multiplayer focused shooter on the 360 and PS3.

• naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    On the one hand, the 360's dash is loaded with ads.

On the other, the XMB and various sub-menus are a pain to navigate.

For me at least, laziness wins out.

Though I'm still pretty baffled that Sony seems to have done very, very little to improve the PS3's XMB once it came out. I mean, I can't be the only person griping that the PS3's seemingly thrice-weekly system updates require you to dig around in the menu to find the "system update" button.

I thought the system updates were more about removing features than adding/improving them.

Well, there was that one time we got Playstation Home.

I rest my case.

edited April 2012
    I don't actively dislike Cliffy B, but I do blame him (perhaps inadvertently) stirring the whole "Consoles are killing gaming, man..." crowd--specifically, the faction that is angry at what they consider a lack of visual advancement. I personally call them the "Crysis Crowd"--since Crysis could negatively be called "overwhelming flash, very little substance" (that's unfair to the game, I acknowledge, even though I'd be very reluctant to give it much praise outside of the graphics and mod-friendliness departments).

Ultra-high textures are a labor of love (and modders). Fix the other goddamn problems with your game. Mass Effect 3 could have had an engine that required twice the RAM our consoles, and had textures four times the size, but it wouldn't have fixed the fucking bugs, substandard animation work and bad design decisions. That has nothing to do with power (even the matter of animations) and is all your fault.

Cliffy B is pretty typical of that problem, bah. Can't ratchet up visuals any further? Then fix the rest of your game's problems in the meantime!

(Though, I suppose ironically, my experience with the GoW series has been largely bug-free.)

Synthesis on
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    wait what is "brony epidemic" and "mlp"?

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magical is a kids show.

Well made for a kids show. Has somehow attracted a huge online fandom of adult men called "Bronies".

And ... yeah.

*shrug* I know a lot of people get really tense and upset when adults enjoy literature, film, or TV that was made specifically for children, but I think those people need to get over themselves. Hayao Miyazaki is one of the most amazing filmmakers alive today, and a great many of his films are made directly for children. Just because My Neighbor Totoro is made for five year olds, doesn't make it any less incredible of a film.

That said I've watched a few episodes of MLP and wasn't impressed, but I don't need to shit on other people's enjoyment of a thing just because I don't share it.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    FUCK YES. I just snagged 2 boxed Sega Saturn Virtual On Twin Sticks for $140. I had a dreamcast stick, but no saturn ones. I can't wait to try out the original Virtual On with these sticks.

Also, every time I see the abbreviation mlp, I always think "Major League Paseball."

Paceball?

or is Paseball actually a thing?

God damn look how beautiful this is:

DSCF9199.jpg

Synthesis wrote: »
    Paceball?

or is Paseball actually a thing?

It is not, it's just all I could figure mlp stood for until I found out what it actually stood for.

edited April 2012
    Fair enough.

I'm distracting from the real point, that is, anything with two joysticks is fucking boss, and that Twin-Stick is primitive (by our current standards) but still pretty goddamn boss. Like a supercrude version of the Steel Battalion controller.

As a HOTAS man through and through, I know exactly why two joysticks haven't caught on o the PC outside of a handful of very specific incidents, but it's still a glimmer in my eye where the advanced simulation genre might have gone in its height, before it crashed and burned and became the domain of a handful of passionate Russian developers.

Synthesis on
    Freespace 2 was pretty much the end of the popularity of that type of game, right?

• LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Didn't twin stick games just evolve into the XBLA shooters we see now like Geometry wars or I made a game with zombies in it?

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Wait what russian games use twin joysticks? Sometimes you speak of eldritch mysteries Synthesis. FESS UP.
    Spill the beans son!
    *shines bright light on Synthesis face*

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Fair enough.

I'm distracting from the real point, that is, anything with two joysticks is fucking boss, and that Twin-Stick is primitive (by our current standards) but still pretty goddamn boss. Like a supercrude version of the Steel Battalion controller.

As a HOTAS man through and through, I know exactly why two joysticks haven't caught on o the PC outside of a handful of very specific incidents, but it's still a glimmer in my eye where the advanced simulation genre might have gone in its height, before it crashed and burned and became the domain of a handful of passionate Russian developers.

It's not actually that primative. It's actually the same sticks sega used for their arcade cabinet. They're fully analog - both sticks. The Sega Saturn, for some weird reason, has a reputation of not having that many analog games, but in fact, the system was built with analog controls in mind. Several launch games feature full analog controls. the analog controls were built into racing wheels and flight sticks at first, but then, when NiGHTS was released, Sega revised their analog standard to fit a normal controller. The NiGHTS pad will actually work with a ton of games to offer full analog control, like Daytona USA or Panzer Dragoon. I'd say, in terms of percentage of library which supports it, it's probably better supported than the original Dual Shock for the PSX.

But back to the sticks - they're full analog and have 2 buttons per stick - a trigger and a top button. The dreamcast ones felt a bit cheap, but I've always read the saturn ones were much more durable and felt like you had a Virtual On arcade cabinet in front of you.

I've been on a saturn binge here lately. Since picking up Panzer Dragoon Saga, I've also gone out and bought Thunder Force V Special Package, and Dead or Alive.

I'm also building a phone line simulator, so I can take my saturn back online. A couple of dudes at this other forum I go to are doing the same thing, and we plan on having a game of Duke Nukem 3D, on our saturns, online together via death match.

edited April 2012
    Couscous wrote: »
    Freespace 2 was pretty much the end of the popularity of that type of game, right?

For ones in a space setting, I'd have to say so. Though some of the stuff the Futuremark people teased was pretty impressive, I don't know if it went anywhere really.

The genre in-atmosphere survived longer (thankfully), but met its own end (in terms of new development and the advancement of control schemes that go with it). A new modern flight simulation pops out (almost always out of Russia) every few years, and does things with controllers that are great, but I can hardly blame them for not wanting to do anything as risk as really dedicate to two controllers. There's a reason why HOTAS is the universal standard in this area.

Really, I guess it's funny, but I'm convinced games like Steel Battalion were always far more plausible on console (particularly the Xbox) than on PC, because it was the right merger of a familiar development environment and a sufficiently-sized audience that would accept the notion of buying a purely unique controller for one game (at first). Kind of a hang-on from the guncon era. I think that would have been a far harder sell on PC at the same time, when the peripheral market really dried up and shriveled to a much smaller shadow of itself, even in the face of much more powerful GPUs and CPUs.

But we still have things like TrackIR. So it could be much worse.

Synthesis on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    If only joysticks had been priced cheaper or had a very common baseline to work from, like how the 360 pad is so commonplace on Windows PCs nowadays. I remember even crappy 2-button joysticks with the worst calibration in the world that would break on you after a single weekend of TIE Fighter costing $30 and only going up in price from there.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I had a 30 dollar joystick that worked for years. I constantly played flight sims on it.

What do you do to your long phallic objects korodullin? And do we really want to know?

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited April 2012
    Wait what russian games use twin joysticks? Sometimes you speak of eldritch mysteries Synthesis. FESS UP.
    Spill the beans son!
    *shines bright light on Synthesis face*

Heh, it's nothing that concrete. But things like DCS (Digital Combat Simulator) are potentially a great environment for stretching the strict realistic simulation a bit further into something like remote controlled vehicular combat that might involved two joysticks, but Eagle Dynamics is worried about making a profit too (I can't blame them). Which is why we get something like DCS: A-10 (nothing wrong with in the least, but in terms of breaking new ground in simulations, it's a pretty clear step back from Black Shark).

Arma 2, which is Czech, right?, is also in that kind of area of moddability potentially, but it's all a matter of potential. Just like future DCS packs, the lure of two joysticks is always kind of baited around when Arma 3 is discussed, but that seems even less likely.

Really, Russia (and a few other countries) are the only ones still putting out strict simulators--and while a risk-taking simulation is unlikely in this environment, it's an impossibility if the genre was much smaller. The US puts out arcade games in the style of simulations, but there's really zero reason for them not to just use gamepads instead of two joysticks when the PC's peripheral market has shriveled up and mostly died.

*hugs his Logitech G940*

Synthesis on
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    Didn't twin stick games just evolve into the XBLA shooters we see now like Geometry wars or I made a game with zombies in it?

Those sort of games evolved from twin joystick games, yes. Stuff like Robotron is pretty much the grandfather of the modern twin stick shooter, although stuff like Smash TV or Total Carnage really is more the mold by which modern twin stick shooters take from (especially Smash TV, which had analog twin sticks to allow for 360 degrees of rotation).

These are different kinds of twin sticks, though. They're more like two flight sticks, and really only one game series supports this peripheral - Virtual On, sega's mech fighting game series. Since the game is more like mech-warrior meets a fighting game, it doesn't use twin sticks in the same manner as geometry wars. In Geometry wars (or robotron, or smash TV, etc) , one stick controls your movement, and one controls the direction you fire. In virtual on, it's more like you have a tank, with each stick controlling one side of your mech. So tilting one stick forward and the other back will make you turn clockwise, and tilting them the opposite way will make you go counter clockwise. Likewise, pulling them both apart makes you jump, and pushing both forward or back moves you in that direction.

The series kept support for the original twin sticks, all the way until modern times. You can buy adapters which lets you use the saturn twin sticks on either a dreamcast, PS3, or Xbox 360, and they are recognized as Sega Saturn twin sticks, and fully compatible. Similarly, you can also use a dreamcast twin sticks on a PS3 or Xbox 360, and it gets recognized as a Dreamcast Twin Stick, and is also fully compatible.

Sega didn't make a dedicated twin stick for the PS3 or Xbox 360, but Hori did, and they're extremely rare. But the games will pick them up as a third party twin stick.

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    I had a 30 dollar joystick that worked for years. I constantly played flight sims on it.

What do you do to your long phallic objects korodullin? And do we really want to know?

Live in an area where the only cheap and easy to find joysticks were also really shitty brands, apparently.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    korodullin wrote: »

Live in an area where the only cheap and easy to find joysticks were also really shitty brands, apparently.

To be fair, there was a somewhat short time period when retailers offered a wide plethora of joysticks for consumers.

And when these devices went cheaper, they pretty much stopped appearing in stores either. The idea of there being a market for them collapsed in on itself. Which is why a good-condition Microsoft Sidewinder FF2 costs about its weight in gold.

I can't hate on Cliffy B too much. His company was the reason they put 512MB of ram into the 360 instead of 256.

I like how he came out a while back and was like, "please don't call me Cliffy B anymore, I hate that nick name" and everyone was like "k Cliffy B."

• SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    So Capcom has farmed two games out to an absolutely awful studio?

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I like how he came out a while back and was like, "please don't call me Cliffy B anymore, I hate that nick name" and everyone was like "k Cliffy B."
    Better than "Dude Huge" IMO.

EDIT: Also, IIRC "CliffyB" came out of him getting tired on correcting people on how to spell his last name. I'm guessing people still use it because they don't want to bother to look up how his last name is spelled. :D

Undead Scottsman on
    Sheep wrote: »
    So Capcom has farmed two games out to an absolutely awful studio?

Just two?

They've got to at least be on 4 or 5 by now.

This discussion has been closed.