As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Last Story: Out now in the other part of the world! The packaging is class!

• ChenChen Registered User regular
    iOS games aren't real games though. Everyone knows that!

V0Gug2h.png
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Zephiran wrote: »
    Well it's not really their last game, it's more like it's the Wii's last game before being passing into obscurity (unless you count Dragon Quest X and Pandora's Tower in the West). Last single-player focused Wii JRPG, probably, but not their last game. The Gooch is already working on a bunch of iOS titles using what he learned about game development from making TLS.

Sadly, there probably won't be another Lost Odyssey, no...

It's probably for the best. LO is one of those titles that could be harmed by a bad follow-up. Kaim's story IMO is basically resolved, but that doesn't stop me from wanting more.

Of course if the sequel HAD been bad, I'd just pretend it didn't exist and not let it harm my memories.

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I just beat it. The first half didn't wow me too much, but by the end? Loved it. Once the credits rolled and that song started to play, I felt sad it was all over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOJuMhtH9ZQ

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    I think the short format works best in this case though, so many JRPGs drag on with the "corridor fighting" these days it eventually bores people and turns them off. Had that amazing ending part come much later, you and many others probably would've just given up. Given the problems the game faces due technical limitations and other stuff, perhaps it really was for the best that they tied it up fairly quickly.

Short and sweet.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
    You're talking to someone who put 170 hours in Xenoblade.

It is short and sweet, but I wouldn't have minded more sidequests. That said, I did miss the swimming quest. The ending is great though. Reminded me a bit of Xenoblade's only without a third wheel and with one of the greatest couples ever.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Zael does really piss me off mid game, but luckily he gets fixed later on.

Z: I want to be a knight and I like you a lot!

C: Yes but my uncle is evil, he killed my parents and disappears all dissidents, you really shouldn't get involved.

Z: Yes but he said I could maybe marry you, potentially, if I become his evil genocidal henchman!

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    I actually chose to be his evil henchman when the option was given, but apparently I couldn't and it followed up with one of the best moments in the game. I actually did a fistpump.

V0Gug2h.png
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Chen wrote: »
    You're talking to someone who put 170 hours in Xenoblade.

It is short and sweet, but I wouldn't have minded more sidequests. That said, I did miss the swimming quest. The ending is great though. Reminded me a bit of Xenoblade's only without a third wheel and with one of the greatest couples ever.

The Last Story really was primarily a love story, and a well presented one, too.

Somewhat related:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti-7FDUCc80

The battle that song went to made me so happy. SO HAPPY!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    Oh I finally figured out who Jiral reminds me of.
    245px-Jennamaroney.jpg

Dashui wrote: »
    The song that battle went to made me so happy. SO HAPPY!

YES! I fucking loved that battle! So satisfying. Honestly, it was the best boss battle. The top-notch voice acting contributed a lot.

V0Gug2h.png
  • HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    Woot! LE just arrived at the department. Tonight's going to be a gaming night!

• KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    Mine just arrived in the mail from Zavvi. Ridiculously quick turnaround (1 week) compared to when I ordered Xenoblade (3 weeks)

Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Arise!
    ...my physical copy finally arrived. Damn you customs holding things. I finally get it the day Tales of Graces F comes out. :(
    Speaking of games not having instruction manuals in this day and age... 291 pages in 10 languages. Full color and illustrated. Wow.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Finally started playing this one thanks to a friend lending me his copy.
    God damnit I could spend all day just hunting for hidden items in town. So addictive.

Other than that, I'm not a big fan of the controls so far. For example, why can't I use the Wiimote when using the crossbow? Anyway, maybe I'll get used to it.
    Also, the lip-synch (or lack thereof) in cutscenes is pretty jarring.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    I'm about 15 hours in and I enjoy the combat. The story is all right and most of the characters tend to be okay to decent (no one is really annoying). Basically the story for me is just filler between rooms full of enemies to beat up.

If I have a complaint, it's that I'll be damned if I can find anywhere in the menus where I can find sidequest info. If someone asks me to go get them some coconuts and eggs, I better damn well write it down.

Also, chalk it up to user error, but I somehow ordered two copies of the LE of the game, so I have a second copy siting here unopened.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
    And at 18 hours in, I'm at the save point before the last series of boss fights. I'm sure I missed a number of sidequests, but the EXP gain has always seemed to be even throughout the story. I never really felt underleveled or overleveled.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Zephiran wrote: »
    Dashui wrote: »
    I kind of wish this game was Lowell and Syrenne adventuring. My goodness, their banter is fantastic.

Right now I'd like to post that film noiré - inspired concept art of Lowell and Mirania that they drew up way back when the game was supposed to be taking place in a completely different time period.

But I can't fucking find it.

You mean this one?

original.jpg

I'm with you. So damn hot.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    In regards to the above image, I want that game.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Film noir JRPG starring Lowell? Yeah I'd buy like two copies of that.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Way too original for this world, I suppose.

wVEsyIc.png
    I liked this game a lot but it just didn't grab my soul like Xenoblade did.

As in, I probably won't double dip when the US version comes out this summer.

I do really enjoy the multiplayer though but even that part of my weekly routine has been replaced by Kid Icarus's amazing multiplayer.

• DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    The game was obviously lip synched to the original Japanese version.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't think so? The mouth animations seemed accurate for the most part. The production was mostly outsourced to other companies, most of them being Western, with Mistwalker responsible for directing and supervising, so I assume they worked close with the localization team to deliver this outstanding piece of work.

V0Gug2h.png
  • DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    Maybe I'm just remembering the cutscenes then because it was obvious.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So the verdict is that I should get this game?

• Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    We just got the invisibility ink clothing dye.

Hey now.

So now that everyone's shirts are off we need to find the second part of it so we can take all of their pants off.

Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
    edited April 2012
    Just finished!

So..

Two questions and a comment..

1)Yurick's eye.. was that ever explained?

2)
    Who was the glowing blue tiger????

And about the very end.

3)
    I was really hoping for a kiss, at least in the final cut scene. Didn't deliver! But at least in the last few seconds of the game he finally touches her with him putting his arm around her. Better than nothing I suppose

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
    1)
    It was explained in his story chapter I believe. Basically, he was an average mage, but he desired more power, so he sacrificed one of his eyes and replaced it with an artifact doodad to enhance his magical capabilities. He uses an eye patch to subdue its latent power.

2)
    If you put the pieces together (first meeting, Mirania's chapter and witnessing the land dying), it's evident that the white tiger is Lazulis' guardian.

3)
    There is a kiss scene. You just have to work for it. : )

V0Gug2h.png
    Chen wrote: »
    There is a kiss scene. You just have to work for it. : )

What do I need to do for that?

Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
    Go to Calista's room if I remember correctly and examine the area.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    So..are extreme slowdowns normal in this game? Or is it just my Wii or something?
    Any time the screen is filled with enemies / NPCs or when a spell goes off, the game slows down to a crawl.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    edited April 2012
    Maz- wrote: »
    So..are extreme slowdowns normal in this game? Or is it just my Wii or something?
    Any time the screen is filled with enemies / NPCs or when a spell goes off, the game slows down to a crawl.

It's the game. On the final battles with a full party with magic circles everywhere, a big boss dude, and little guys running around the whole thing went into slow mo mode.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    As a sucker for romances, I cannot wait for this game.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • FerquinFerquin Snorlax Renton, WA, USARegistered User regular
    Not sure if this has been said here yet, but an ad in the latest Nintendo Power shows that the first print run of the game is coming with the art booklet and stuff.

Yay!

Ferquin N.C. Root
    Yep, I put my preorder in last week. I wonder if it'll come with a Club Nintendo code.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    So an update on this, pre-orders are now including a soundtrack cd as well!
    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/11/the-last-story-finally-comes-to-north-america-on-aug-14/
    tls711.jpg

Nice! How is the music in this game? I am guessing with Uematsu it's quite good :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I'm not even all that big into RPGs and I put my pre-order down.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nice. August 14th can't come soon enough. At least I should have enough to keep me busy until then.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Excited for the American release. Been feeling that RPG itch and I just got Xenoblade and soon this to help me out.

If one were to preorder, is there a specific place that is considered better than Game Stop? I.E. comes with the most goodies?

Where does the preorder have to be from to get the cd? I already have mine preordered from Best Buy.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!