Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Games Where Anyone Can Die

2»

Posts

  • A duck!A duck! Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Gonna recommend Dragon Age: Origins, as well. It's actually fun to find all the ways to kill your party members, and there's only one that you can't off.

    Favorite quotes
    Spoiler:
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Demon's Souls and Dark Souls have this to a degree, though, I'm not sure they 100% fit the bill (they are fantastic games though).

    B7ozVfx.png
  • RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    Baldur's Gate
    Baldur's Gate II
    Any of the 90s AD&D titles. In some of them, Dark Sun comes to mind, if a character gets permakilled, you have to make a new character to replace them.
    I *think* the goldbox games work that way too, but I haven't played them in a while.

    So yeah, anything D&D made before about 2001 will have what you want.

    1208768734831.jpg
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »
    Gonna recommend Dragon Age: Origins, as well. It's actually fun to find all the ways to kill your party members, and there's only one that you can't off.
    And that one is the only one I wanted to kill off, dammit. :(

    steam_sig.png

    3DS: 1607-3034-6970 | Let's Play Avadon 2!
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    X-Com series has already been mentioned, but it's a good set.

    Anyone, in theory, can die.

    For the unprepared, in practice, everyone will die.

    2MyOx.png
  • ShimshaiShimshai Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    A duck! wrote: »
    Gonna recommend Dragon Age: Origins, as well. It's actually fun to find all the ways to kill your party members, and there's only one that you can't off.
    And that one is the only one I wanted to kill off, dammit. :(

    Is it her?

    Actually how can you kill the rest of them? I only know how for 3 of them.

    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

    steam_sig.png
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    Blackjack wrote: »
    A duck! wrote: »
    Gonna recommend Dragon Age: Origins, as well. It's actually fun to find all the ways to kill your party members, and there's only one that you can't off.
    And that one is the only one I wanted to kill off, dammit. :(

    Is it her?

    Actually how can you kill the rest of them? I only know how for 3 of them.
    Yes. Her.

    As for the rest:
    Spoiler:

    steam_sig.png

    3DS: 1607-3034-6970 | Let's Play Avadon 2!
  • mr weenismr weenis Registered User regular
    I know they've been said, but the first few Rainbow Six games were great for this. I spent a huge amount of time perfecting my planning to get everyone out alive.

    Nickle wrote: »
    972 dicks is a lot of dicks. :(
  • BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    Arma and just about any hardcore tactical shooter will feature this. If I'm not mistaken Hidden and Dangerous does this as well.

    steam_sig.png

    Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • JarkeldJarkeld Registered User regular
    Maniac Mansion: several actions can get party members killed. They get a nice grave & cross out front.
    The two characters on Mars in Zak McKraken can die if you're not careful.

  • EddEdd Registered User regular
    mr weenis wrote: »
    I know they've been said, but the first few Rainbow Six games were great for this. I spent a huge amount of time perfecting my planning to get everyone out alive.

    As a challenge, it's also interesting to force yourself not to retry missions and instead just roll with the consequences of your failures. Playing without a net is really, really tense.

  • MorninglordMorninglord Registered User regular
    The title of this op sounds, itself, like a horror game.

    My Dark Souls 2 Diary Day 6 and 7 Updated
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • FairchildFairchild Neutralizing hostiles. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The MASS EFFECT series, of course. Because everyone knows that Grunt was the right choice to be crawling down that vent.

    Fairchild on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    The MASS EFFECT series, of course. Because everyone knows that Grunt was the right choice to be crawling down that vent.

    No matter what you do
    Spoiler:

    Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.

    2MyOx.png
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Dwarf Fortress. The only way a fort really ends is if everyone is dead. There is no win condition.

    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • sevenpainssevenpains Registered User regular
    Has Tactics Ogre been mentioned yet? Pretty sure alot of people can die permanently in that one.

  • DodosaurDodosaur Registered User
    I'm surprised no one's mentioned Skyrim yet.
    If you do something stupid, your companion is going to end up dead, and there's no one to bring them back without reloading a save. Just avoid reloading saves, and you've got a game where your companions rely on you for survival.
    Also, if you want large-scale battles, try Mount and Blade (best one out of the bunch is Warband). You can get soldiers and companions; in the vanilla game, companions can't die, they can only be knocked unconscious, but everyone else can die, and there's a mod that lets companions die permanently too.

    steam_sig.png
  • 143999143999 Duly appointed editor of the Tyrest AccordRegistered User regular
    Dodosaur wrote: »
    I'm surprised no one's mentioned Skyrim yet.
    If you do something stupid, your companion is going to end up dead, and there's no one to bring them back without reloading a save. Just avoid reloading saves, and you've got a game where your companions rely on you for survival.
    Also, if you want large-scale battles, try Mount and Blade (best one out of the bunch is Warband). You can get soldiers and companions; in the vanilla game, companions can't die, they can only be knocked unconscious, but everyone else can die, and there's a mod that lets companions die permanently too.

    By "do something stupid," you mean "let them get killed by friendly fire," right?

    4Bpocis.png
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    143999 wrote: »
    Dodosaur wrote: »
    I'm surprised no one's mentioned Skyrim yet.
    If you do something stupid, your companion is going to end up dead, and there's no one to bring them back without reloading a save. Just avoid reloading saves, and you've got a game where your companions rely on you for survival.
    Also, if you want large-scale battles, try Mount and Blade (best one out of the bunch is Warband). You can get soldiers and companions; in the vanilla game, companions can't die, they can only be knocked unconscious, but everyone else can die, and there's a mod that lets companions die permanently too.

    By "do something stupid," you mean "let them get killed by friendly fire," right?

    I'm pretty sure that by "do something stupid" he meant "take a companion along with you without enabling immortality for that companion in the console," since it's so ludicrously easy to kill them accidently

    sig.png
  • DrakeDrake Blow it all up ForeverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    BYToady wrote: »
    Dwarf Fortress. The only way a fort really ends is if everyone is dead. There is no win condition.

    Along the roguelike lines is UnReal World. An open world roguelike RPG based loosely on Finnish iron age folk lore. It's mainly a wilderness survival game, with a lot of trading, crafting and building. There's also a bad tribe that will attack you on sight, and of course you can also always make your living by being a bad person, stealing and murdering and so on. It's a pretty deep game, with lots of neat stuff going on that I haven't seen anywhere else. And anyone can die just through the course of events in the game. One of the most hair raising moments I've had in that game was falling out of a tree during a hunt, far away from camp. I hurt my leg pretty bad and didn't have the stuff to treat it on the spot. I had to literally drag myself back to my camp, which took much longer (and was pretty painful I imagine) and I ran out of food and water. Surviving that situation and then treating the wound was a very satisfying RPG experience that I don't really think I could have gotten from any other game.

    Drake on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Fairchild wrote: »
    The MASS EFFECT series, of course. Because everyone knows that Grunt was the right choice to be crawling down that vent.

    No matter what you do
    Spoiler:

    Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.

    Now that I think of it, I don't think
    Spoiler:

    can be killed off, either.

  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote: »
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Fairchild wrote: »
    The MASS EFFECT series, of course. Because everyone knows that Grunt was the right choice to be crawling down that vent.

    No matter what you do
    Spoiler:

    Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.

    Now that I think of it, I don't think
    Spoiler:

    can be killed off, either.
    Spoiler:

    2MyOx.png
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »
    They had this in Obscure, this old-style survival horror game set in a high school. You switched between five kids caught in it - co-op focus, so you always had at least an AI partner controlling one of them - and, in teen horror flick tradition, anybody could die. As long as at least one of them is still alive, the game keeps going.

    Obscure is actually a lot better of a game than i expected as well. I had fun with it and its sequel.

    MARKIISIGFORUMSIZE_zps17defe18.png
    MechWarrior Online: Khyber Pryde
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    Suikoden 1 and 2 had character death during the strategic sequences. They started scaling it back as the series progressed.

    Suikoden 1 and 2 also go for like 150 bucks online. Good luck finding these for a reasonable price.

    MARKIISIGFORUMSIZE_zps17defe18.png
    MechWarrior Online: Khyber Pryde
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Demon's Souls and Dark Souls have this to a degree, though, I'm not sure they 100% fit the bill (they are fantastic games though).

    Demon's Souls even had a quest to kill most of the important NPC's.

    There are only 1 or 2 NPC's in the entire game that can't be killed.

    steam_sig.png
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular

    Artereis wrote: »
    Suikoden 1 and 2 had character death during the strategic sequences. They started scaling it back as the series progressed.

    Suikoden 1 and 2 also go for like 150 bucks online. Good luck finding these for a reasonable price.

    Suikoden 1 can at least be bought on PSN I think. Not sure about 2.

    steam_sig.png
    Add me on PSN, Raptr and Wii U and probably every other gaming service under the name: Corpekata
    3ds Friend code: 2251-4724-0730
  • Skull2185Skull2185 is an A-hole. but not 100% a dick.Registered User regular
    Morrowind and maybe Omikron counts. The PC dies and gets transferred into a new body. Sometimes that new body doesn't have the correct privileges as the last body does.


    I wish that Oblivion and Skyrim took the Morrowind approach of letting you kill anyone. I remember the first time I played Morrowind, met up with the dude at his house and attacked him just to see if I could kill him.

    Killed him... message pops up "You done goof'd. The world will never be the same, but you can keep playing if you want." or something.

    Oblivion and Skyrim just makes "important" people faint or get winded :(

    It's like the N-word and the C-word had a baby, and it was raised by all the bad words for Jews.
    3DS FC: 5129-0946-8305
    PSN: DrSkullnumbers
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    The only one I can think of that I haven't seen anyone mention is Catherine.

    Not quite everyone can die, but...
    Spoiler:

    ae26.jpg
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    In MechCommander (and MechCommander 2, I believe), you recruit pilots who gain experience and skills across missions, but can be permakilled if the mission goes badly.

  • Actinguy1Actinguy1 Registered User regular
    Thanks for all these great suggestions! I've played a few of them...Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Alpha Protocol (one of my favorites), XCOM, and...yes...Oregon Trail. ;c) But there's a lot of good stuff here, and I'm going to try and play them all, if I can find them.

2»
Sign In or Register to comment.