As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Attendance @ PAX East 2012

Blade FusionBlade Fusion Timmins, ONRegistered User regular
edited April 2012 in PAX Archive
So does anyone know what kind of numbers we hit this year? It felt pretty crowded this year but I feel like Easter may have lowered the numbers.

Blade Fusion on

• therernothererno Registered User new member
    I would really like to know too! I looked around and no one seems to have reported anything yet.

• SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    So does anyone know what kind of numbers we hit this year? It felt pretty crowded this year but I feel like Easter may have lowered the numbers.

Lots!

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    At least 3 people....no more than a million.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    SmallLady wrote: »

Lots!

That's more than I thought!! =D

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    It was said that capacity was going to increase by about 20% for this East over last East. Every badge sold out except Sunday badges. I'd wager a guess at around 80k+ turnstile.

• VolaroVolaro The Iron Gentleman Registered User regular

Are you sure there were three people? I'm pretty sure I only saw two.

• DangeresquetooDangeresquetoo Registered User regular
    Volaro wrote: »

Including you?

• AprecheApreche Registered User regular
    Remember, the number that PAX publishers is a turnstile count. That means they count a weekend pass three times. They also count one person who bought a Friday badge and a Saturday badge two times. The NY and SD Comic-Cons are four/five day conventions, so they count weekend passes four/five times each! Some conventions even count staff, vendors, janitors, etc. as part of attendance. The fan-run anime/sci-fi conventions like Otakon, Connecticon, and Anime Boston do true counts. They count number of badges sold, and thus the number of unique human beings who attended.

Just remember these different counting methods when trying to compare which geeky/nerdy conventions are bigger than others.

• XX55XXXX55XX Registered User regular
    Apreche wrote: »
    Remember, the number that PAX publishers is a turnstile count. That means they count a weekend pass three times. They also count one person who bought a Friday badge and a Saturday badge two times. The NY and SD Comic-Cons are four/five day conventions, so they count weekend passes four/five times each! Some conventions even count staff, vendors, janitors, etc. as part of attendance. The fan-run anime/sci-fi conventions like Otakon, Connecticon, and Anime Boston do true counts. They count number of badges sold, and thus the number of unique human beings who attended.

Just remember these different counting methods when trying to compare which geeky/nerdy conventions are bigger than others.

Correct. I saw one fellow who bought three one day badges when the three badges ran out. I also quite a few people running around with two badges.

Overall, attendance was probably closer to 60,000, probably.

• AprecheApreche Registered User regular
    XX55XX wrote: »

Correct. I saw one fellow who bought three one day badges when the three badges ran out. I also quite a few people running around with two badges.

If you want the total number of unique human beings who bought normal badges and attended PAX East 2012, the number is probably closer to 30,000-ish. With 60,000 the building would have been way beyond Fire Marshal capacity.

• LimondLimond Registered User regular
    Yea, my friend and I were both there all 3 days with single day passes. Decided to buy the tickets randomly one day and 2 hours before they had sold out. Lesson learned.

One clip, one kill.

I am a monster truck that walks like a man.
  • sigma8sigma8 Registered User regular
    Remember, the number that PAX publishers is a turnstile count. That means they count a weekend pass three times. They also count one person who bought a Friday badge and a Saturday badge two times. [snip]

I had a three day pass but I also cloned myself for each day, so I figure it balances out.

• XX55XXXX55XX Registered User regular
    XX55XX wrote: »

If you want the total number of unique human beings who bought normal badges and attended PAX East 2012, the number is probably closer to 30,000-ish. With 60,000 the building would have been way beyond Fire Marshal capacity.

But I'm talking about the number of unique visitors who have come over the three days of the convention.

• adastraadastra Registered User regular
    I don't know how common it is, but there's also some pass-sharing. I talked to a few folks who were sharing a 3-day among a group, with different people coming different days, as well as people who'd gotten a 3-day from someone who was already done for the weekend.

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    I don't believe they plan to release those numbers any more. Mostly since there are so many ways to count it, its really not useful for PA, and they don't generally seem to care what the media wants. Also it is quite a bit of effort to put together total attendees, exhibitors, VIP, speakers, enforcers, etc etc etc. Especially since some overlap and get multiple badges.

Lots and lots is a good answer.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • VolaroVolaro The Iron Gentleman Registered User regular
    Volaro wrote: »

Including you?

...Egads! That does make three. I've been outwitted. Foiled again! <flees the scene>

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Beker wrote: »
    I don't believe they plan to release those numbers any more. Mostly since there are so many ways to count it, its really not useful for PA, and they don't generally seem to care what the media wants. Also it is quite a bit of effort to put together total attendees, exhibitors, VIP, speakers, enforcers, etc etc etc. Especially since some overlap and get multiple badges.

Lots and lots is a good answer.
    Actually it's pretty easy. Probably a total line on a spread sheet.

total number of 3 day passes x 3
    total number of exhibitor/press/vip/enforcr passes x3
    total number of 1 day passes x 1
    Add those up, total number of attendees. Since they had to print the passes the company they used to print them up, most likely invoiced them like that in a nice tidy email or hard copy. Honestly it would take about 3 minutes of work to kick up a total (not completely precise but close enough).

zepherin on
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Prime gets about 25,000 visitors per day, or about 75,000 total. East is probably similar.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
    edited April 2012
    Prime gets about 25,000 visitors per day, or about 75,000 total. East is probably similar.

The largest calculated turnstile count for prime was 69k, East eclipsed that in 2011 being 71k+, and it was said that East 2012 would be about 20% larger than that. Prime has hit its full capacity and won't grow until there's more space, East still has yet to do so and will likely continue to grow. During the press conference that announced East was extended in Boston until 2023, it was said that the target was 100k turnstile for East (and this is not including any expansion plans for the BCEC).

zerzhul on
  • TangoTango Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »

The largest calculated turnstile count for prime was 69k, East eclipsed that in 2011 being 71k+, and it was said that East 2012 would be about 20% larger than that. Prime has hit its full capacity and won't grow until there's more space, East still has yet to do so and will likely continue to grow. During the press conference that announced East was extended in Boston until 2023, it was said that the target was 100k turnstile for East (and this is not including any expansion plans for the BCEC.
    Yeah, there's no way Prime can get 75,000 total with the current setup. With more expansion, maybe.

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    a local paper reported 75,000 for this year's east, but who knows where they got that number.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

It may have been 20K daily - I remember talking to someone last east PRIME (maybe Tango?) after the whole counterfeit badge fiasco and the number was somewhere around there.

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    a local paper reported 75,000 for this year's east, but who knows where they got that number.

Saw the same thing last year to the tune of 77k, but again, who knows.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • CaldvanCaldvan Registered User regular
    They made it up. PA didn't release numbers, so it's probably some back of the napkin math. 75k is about what you get if you just increase East's turnstyle numbers 20% each year.

[E]
    Caldvan wrote: »
    They made it up. PA didn't release numbers, so it's probably some back of the napkin math. 75k is about what you get if you just increase East's turnstyle numbers 20% each year.

Actually ~71k * 120% = ~85k (71k being the last released numbers afaik for east 2011, unless those were bullshit too.)

• CaldvanCaldvan Registered User regular
    I was thinking increase from the first east, ignoring the last official numbers from east 2011.

That is probally giving too much credit, however.

[E]