As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dark Souls] If only I could be so grossly incandescent (as Durante) - Res fix in OP

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I always go in on Adjudicator. Never touches me. You call the next one? Otherwise I'm thinking 1-2.

wVEsyIc.png
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    The moonlight sword has crap damage, probably to balance out the fact that it ignores shields. I wouldn't build a character around it

Steam Profile: Lork
    edited April 2012
    Sounds like a great opportunity to get roasted by the dragon due to lag... I'll be there.

Lork on
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Duly noted about the sword. Maybe as a side weapon? Anywho, at Shrine of Storms now... hmmm... it's big, wide, and bright... I love this place already!

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    My favorite area. Especially the view.

wVEsyIc.png
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    My favorite area. Especially the view.

It's a nice change of pace from that FUCKING TOWER! ... I think I'll save that place for last, unless there's something worth it there.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    Think that might be my last one for tonight. I'll not do any more progress until we take on more. :P Feel free to message me whenever I'm on tomorrow. (We've got 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, and 4-1 down.)

Online really is barren now. No invasions at all, and hardly any summon signs.

wVEsyIc.png
    Yeah, Adjucator whooped me, mostly because I had no idea what was going on; so I lost 12000 souls. Yaaaaay~.

Oh well, time for bed and to try again after work tomorrow. For some reason I'm more calm and less frustrated about stuff in this game then I am with Dark Souls. Except the tower.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    I added you on Steam earlier but it looks like you're not online. Let's use that in the future to avoid clogging up the forums.

And yeah, that's pretty much how it was when I first played this game a couple months ago. I tried to be human as much as possible, but I never got invaded even once. I did kill a shitload of people as a black phantom to feed my human habit though. It's not my fault, nobody was picking up my summon signs!

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Four Kings, piece of piss - only died once. Seth died due to cursing twice - once only because of camera not showing me anything useful. So with Nito, Kings and Seth down who do I have left?

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Four Kings, piece of piss - only died once. Seth died due to cursing twice - once only because of camera not showing me anything useful. So with Nito, Kings and Seth down who do I have left?

The funnest and least frustrating of them all of course!

Wait...

Spoiler free: go down.
    Past the lower bell off Quelaag's Domain, through the Demon Ruins and on to Lost Izalith.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Got past that first blue eyed knight in 1-1 on top of the fort wall. Went down the doorway he was in front of and got as far as three section where there are around 7 guys on a lower section with those explosive barrels. FirebombEd them taking out 4 of them. Awesome.

Finally got my rhythm going. Found the merchant in 1-1 too and bought a wooden shield. Unfortunately its weaker than the leather one somehow.

edited April 2012

The funnest and least frustrating of them all of course!

Wait...

Spoiler free: go down.
    Past the lower bell off Quelaag's Domain, through the Demon Ruins and on to Lost Izalith.

Yup, you're right. All you need is decent poise and a Shield with good stability (like the black knight shield) and the boss for Lost Izalith is a piece of cake.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    So I'm deciding between a Blueblood Sword build, and a Moonlight Sword Build. Moonlight Sword isn't as awesome as it is in Dark Souls, from what I can tell, but the pure magic scaling and magic damage is tempting....

As for the Blueblood sword, I really gotta play my stats right. I don't think I'll raise my luck past 25, and instead just focus on enchants instead, because I heard Light Weapon makes it a force to be reckoned with.

Another friend of mine suggested a dex build, but so far I don't like the dex weapons in this game. They're good when I enchant 'em, but otherwise I'm not seeing good damage variables from them.

EDIT: I just got Fire Spray and Soul Ray. Excuse me while I giggle like a school girl before roasting enemies.

Eh, I've done two BBS sword builds, it's pretty damn good.

Aw yeah. Just killed Phalanx finally. On my second attempt, not bad. Seeing those dragons was terrifying, on the way up to the lever that opens the door to phalanx. I took a wrong turn and came out where the two dragons sit atop a cliff.

Big Isy wrote: »
    Aw yeah. Just killed Phalanx finally. On my second attempt, not bad. Seeing those dragons was terrifying, on the way up to the lever that opens the door to phalanx. I took a wrong turn and came out where the two dragons sit atop a cliff.

Haha, yep. They're guarding some nice treasure! Note the charred corpses.

Big Isy, what class are you? Rather, what class did you start out as?

jagobannerpic.jpg
    Honestly, I really don't remember. I wanna say Hunter? But that's a farfetched guess tbh, I need to double check. I also forget to mention I found a Winged Spear and it is godly. Didn't get the Cling ring as I didn't read up on any tips and such, kind of just jumped right into the game. I did find the Thief ring myself completely by chance. Rescued the fella that gives you the Telescope too.

I'm gonna farm 1-1 some more and upgrade my weapons and armor. I'm really lacking in the defense department, haven't come across anything other than shields. On that note, I have about 6 Slave Shields, can I sell these or anything?

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    there's a set of really heavy armor off of that gate on the left side of the starting area... you just have to kill a strong NPC and some undeads on the way. I forget how to get the gate open. I know it's open if your world tendency is completely white though. Other than that I can't really remember what there is to find in the 1-1.

initiatefailure on
    You need either pure white or pure black world tendency. You should be able to get pure white tendency by making sure not to die as a human in world 1 and killing the boss of 1-2 (kill yourself in the nexus or throw away a life exploring another world if you have to). Once the gate has been opened it stays that way for the rest of the game, so once you've confirmed that it's open you don't have to worry about it.

Valley of Defilement.... My Heart is Breaking... This place sucks. Maybe trying to just push my way through this game was a bad decision, because now I'm raging harder than Dark Souls. Bah, Dark Souls is a walk in a nice clear park on a Monday afternoon compared to THIS game. I think my friend put it best when he described the experience:

"There'll be times where you'll just want to put the game down for a while and just vent while before picking it up again."

Besides, Witcher 2: EH comes out for consoles on Tuesday, so I'll just relax and not get super stressed out.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    They're different beasts entirely, but I'm not sure one is easier than the other persay. In DeSo the enemies are pretty much trivial, but you get punished hard for any mistakes at all. In DaSo the enemies are more challenging, but you can afford a few mistakes here and there.

there's a set of really heavy armor off of that gate on the left side of the starting area... you just have to kill a strong NPC and some undeads on the way. I forget how to get the gate open. I know it's open if your world tendency is completely white though. Other than that I can't really remember what there is to find in the 1-1.

you mean the little one on the bottom of the stairs along the starting walkway?

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Are they going to add the new PC stuff to the console versions at some point?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Think everyone is wondering the same thing.

Yeah that one

Awesome, thanks. I'll wander around and work out how to open it.

That's only good if you like heavy armor which I guess is good to just slowly walk up to everyone with a shield up and poke em with a spear

True enough. I'm more of a two handed axe wielding maniac anyway. Despite choosing the hunter class.

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Fuck the Demon Centipede. Fuck it right in the bitey chest. The fight is the definition of no fun.

Summoning Solaire just made it harder

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    Fuck the Demon Centipede. Fuck it right in the bitey chest. The fight is the definition of no fun.

Summoning Solaire just made it harder

Amusingly, I found that Solaire distracted him enough to allow me to get the lava walking ring... I then died. So the next attempt I just put the ring on and beat him easily (without Solaire though).

Well I just explained how to open it and you're never going to do it by wandering around 1-1 but OK.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Dranyth wrote: »
    So I'm deciding between a Blueblood Sword build, and a Moonlight Sword Build. Moonlight Sword isn't as awesome as it is in Dark Souls, from what I can tell, but the pure magic scaling and magic damage is tempting....

As for the Blueblood sword, I really gotta play my stats right. I don't think I'll raise my luck past 25, and instead just focus on enchants instead, because I heard Light Weapon makes it a force to be reckoned with.

Another friend of mine suggested a dex build, but so far I don't like the dex weapons in this game. They're good when I enchant 'em, but otherwise I'm not seeing good damage variables from them.

EDIT: I just got Fire Spray and Soul Ray. Excuse me while I giggle like a school girl before roasting enemies.

Yeah, a BBS with Enchant Weapon on it might as well be called the +239874983274239847 Vorpal Lightsaber of GoFuckYourself.

wWuzwvJ.png
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Yeah, a BBS with Enchant Weapon on it might as well be called the +239874983274239847 Vorpal Lightsaber of GoFuckYourself.

I've seen the thing do 1000 damage in just a few hits w/ just EW. Imagining that power with LW gets me giddy. NOW IF ONLY I CAN CLEAR 5-1!!!

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    TOGSolid wrote: »

I've seen the thing do 1000 damage in just a few hits w/ just EW. Imagining that power with LW gets me giddy. NOW IF ONLY I CAN CLEAR 5-1!!!
    Err, maybe I have Enchant and Light Weapon backwards. Whichever the most powerful one is, it's been a while since I've played Demon's Souls.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited April 2012
    Safe to say the False King is going to be the hardest for us to L1, right?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    Lork wrote: »
    Well I just explained how to open it and you're never going to do it by wandering around 1-1 but OK.

Yeah I just saw that now on PC, apologies for overlooking it since I was using my phone earlier. And I think I can safely say I'm not gonna get it. lol. I'm making good progress in the game now, got midway through 1-2 but then died. I'm also able to kill the red eyed knight found in 1-1 guarding the locked door so I can farm for souls from him but yeah..... the world tendency is all kinds of messed up right now.

Depends on if someone will be able to cast Poison Cloud or not. And whether you want to cheese the fight or not I guess.

Yeah. Right now the plan is to get my health down to 30% and stack as many damage up/magic up items as I can get my hands on. I figure any hit from him will be instant death, so I might as well take advantage of that. With two of us doing that, we might even have a small chance of success!

This discussion has been closed.