As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mad Men

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    For some reason I like that everyone likes Trudy. She's becoming an actual character

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hah, I love how awesomely Lane calls out Pete, despite his total inability to actually fight.

Great episode all around, only thing I didn't care for was some of the overly cute transitions in the first half

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Awesome, awesome episode. Best so far of this season. Lane is the best.

• Mad King GeorgeMad King George Registered User regular
    Pete is just a guy to be pitied. Once again the only thing he could brag on was something his relatives had done in the past and it constantly weighs on him.

And then that declaration to Don at the end: Pete is doomed because he will always be Pete.

• LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Pete so desperately wants to self actualize, but he can't actually form a confident personality of his own to do so. The only thing that`s worked out for him is his natural weaseliness, which has found him success as an exec(though without privilege this may not have been the case). He wants it all though, whether it was writing stories earlier in the series(which the publisher placed in their child demo), being seductive like Don, or generally more masculine. He can`t escape his spoiled boyhood persona. Kind of telling when the line he accepted from the prostitute was 'you`re the king'(something like that).

Of course, it doesn't help that he still looks like he has baby fat.

Lucid on
    Lucid wrote: »
    ...The only thing that`s worked out for him is his natural weaseliness, which has found him success as an exec(though without privilege this may not have been the case)...

That's exactly the case. When Don tried to fire him in season 1 Cooper gave him the speech about them using Pete for the connections his name has given them.

• BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    Holy shit this episode was amazing. So many great scenes. The World's Most Awkward Dinner Party, Don having a casual chat with the madame, the fight in the office. I am loving this juxtaposition of Don as a person who's been there and done that and Pete who takes everything so deadly seriously. It almost feels like Don is just a side character at this point, and Pete is the new protagonist of the series.

And that gun came up again. I just know something is going to happen with that gun.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Don, Bert, and Roger's reactions to the fight were hilarious. As was pretty much every other face Pete made this episode.

Brian Krakow on
    Behemoth wrote: »
    Holy shit this episode was amazing. So many great scenes. The World's Most Awkward Dinner Party, Don having a casual chat with the madame, the fight in the office. I am loving this juxtaposition of Don as a person who's been there and done that and Pete who takes everything so deadly seriously. It almost feels like Don is just a side character at this point, and Pete is the new protagonist of the series.

And that gun came up again. I just know something is going to happen with that gun.

I'm almost wondering if it's a fakeout, because the hinting about that gun seemed so obvious this episode.

Oh, also a nice little aside from Roger about the growing war in Vietnam

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    That fight was one of the most satisfying I've ever seen on television. Everything, including Don pulling the blinds with a half smile, was just perfect.

• BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    That fight was one of the most satisfying I've ever seen on television. Everything, including Don pulling the blinds with a half smile, was just perfect.

I could watch this all day

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • izzybizzyb AdelaideRegistered User regular
    Someone needs to cut that together with the GoT Joffrey slap gif.

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Seems like everyone said it before me, but what a great episode.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    CYNTHIA!

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Great episode all around, only thing I didn't care for was some of the overly cute transitions in the first half

Slattery directed this one, so it's not surprising we saw some experiments. The cuts really didn't work at all. Fortunately, he only did it 2 or 3 times. Sometimes you gotta give your leads some camera control time, assuming you haven't already bathed them in producerships.

• Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm assuming if Matt Weiner had a problem with the overly cutesy transitions, he would have edited them out in the final cut. He doesn't seem like the type of showrunner that just lets stuff he doesn't like go, given how insanely involved over every aspect of the show he appears to be in commentaries, interviews, etc.

Captain Tragedy on
  • TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Behemoth wrote: »

I'm almost wondering if it's a fakeout, because the hinting about that gun seemed so obvious this episode.

Oh, also a nice little aside from Roger about the growing war in Vietnam

It's almost too obvious now that they're bringing it up again. It's so literally Checkhov's Gun, I wouldn't be surprised if they literally hung a lampshade on it.

It's not that I have anything against cute transitions per se, it's just really distracting in Mad Men, which is such an observational show.

• Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    I could have sworn that Pete yelled "Dick!" instead of "Don" in the kitchen, when the water faucet broke. As in Pete slipped up and called Don by his real name. Did anyone else hear this? Am I crazy? Is it not worth discussing?

steam_sig.png
  • Uncle_JohnUncle_John Registered User regular
    Smaug6 wrote: »
    I could have sworn that Pete yelled "Dick!" instead of "Don" in the kitchen, when the water faucet broke. As in Pete slipped up and called Don by his real name. Did anyone else hear this? Am I crazy? Is it not worth discussing?

Yeah, I thought I heard that too.

• RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    It makes sense that you'd remember the last name of a mass-murderer if you had the same.

Really, a quite enjoyable episode. Pete episodes usually are good ones, and this continued that trend. I love that Trudy demolished Don over the phone while multitasking with the baby.

Lane and Pete were oddly effective at trash talking.

And as already said, Joan is a classy, classy lady.

RhalloTonny on
    !
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    pete knows who don is?

I just raced through the whole show in 2 or 3 weeks but I missed or forgot that, or I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    Variable wrote: »
    pete knows who don is?

I just raced through the whole show in 2 or 3 weeks but I missed or forgot that, or I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

All the way back from season 1

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    holy fuuuuuuuuuuck

thank you. I'll admit if there's any season I didn't feel like I focused enough on it was that one. by the time I started 2 I was watching properly instead of like a child, distracted by other shit on my computer, but goddamn it I didn't think I missed anything that important. hopefully I caught everything else. or maybe I'll just rewatch that first season :D

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Yeah, Pete finds the box of pictures that Dick's brother sends him. Right? Now I'm questioning myself...

steam_sig.png
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    ok so, I'm like in the middle of season 4 right now, and I gotta say

I love Ms. Blankenship

Yeah, Pete finds the box of pictures that Dick's brother sends him. Right? Now I'm questioning myself...

Yep.

Joolander wrote: »

I love Ms. Blankenship

She's an
    astronaut

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »

I love Ms. Blankenship

She's an
    astronaut

I'm not sure what that means (yet, I suppose)

but she is just the worst secretary, and it is wonderful

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Ok, I wasn't the only one who heard him say Dick instead of Don. That was interesting. There all drunk and it kind of came up as relevant. Maybe he felt closer to Don finally?

steam_sig.png
    Oh yeah, and we forgot to mention that god awful sport coat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItSMp4si1Jw

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Lane and Joan getting together would be so wonderful.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    The first rule of the partner's meeting is that you DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE PARTNER'S MEETING.

• Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    I rewatched the episode last night and he definately says Dick. But no one addresses it and no critical reviews have brought it up. I wonder if its a sign that he is getting more cavalier about his "secret" identity.

steam_sig.png
    I didn't even realize that Ken's wife is Nickelodeon's Alex Mack.

• Uncle_JohnUncle_John Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Smaug6 wrote: »
    I rewatched the episode last night and he definately says Dick. But no one addresses it and no critical reviews have brought it up. I wonder if its a sign that he is getting more cavalier about his "secret" identity.

Judging by how casual Don spoke to Megan about it in the first (or second) episode of this season, that is definitely happening. Don has gone from panic attacks to not even noticing someone calling him Dick.

Uncle_John on
  • EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular

Holy crap, you just blew my friggin mind. I loved that show.

• THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    Etiowsa wrote: »

Holy crap, you just blew my friggin mind. I loved that show.

Holy shit.

I THOUGHT I KNEW HER!

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

Clarissa's dad was somebody - I think Trudy's dad. Pete's Clearasil contact

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    y2jake215 wrote: »

Clarissa's dad was somebody - I think Trudy's dad. Pete's Clearasil contact

They've had two Twin Peakers as well: The woman Don
    kills
    and Ken's father-in-law was Ray Wise.