Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

PAX PRIME 2012 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

1246736

Posts

  • zerzhulzerzhul Old General Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, SolidSaints Zerzhul mod
    Hello from Chicago! I am currently helping organizing a group trip with fair number of people most of whom live across the globe, mainly the UK, Sweden, and the US.

    I am wondering how group bookings work in this kind of situation. My hope is that I can just create a group account using then On Peak system when it goes live and we each pay separately into a pool that goes toward that one account. My main reason for asking is that I know hotels tend to give out group discounts and this is a fairly large group. Also its much easier to have everyone pay their share directly rather then a middleman (IE me) doing it for them and risk something going wrong. If this is not possible do you have any tips as to how to coordinate a group of this size? If it makes it any easier On Peak has an office in Chicago and I could directly talk to them possibly bypassing any issues with the online signup.

    If its better to talk one on one feel free to add me or my partner in crime and UK/EU contact Pie_Tony.

    There's already a PAX rate, which is the big group discount. I don't believe that OnPeak gives any additional discounts after that. The easiest thing to do is to simply call OnPeak once the hotels are out and work it out over the phone.

  • ZumanityZumanity Team dignitas Editor Denver, CORegistered User regular
    I didn't see any previously posted question for this so I'm wondering if it's expensive to take a taxi in Seattle? Just wondering because all the close hotels are either sold out or crazy expensive while the lower cost ones are 2+ miles away. Was thinking about getting a room then taking a taxi to the convention center and hanging out there all day until we are ready to go back. Is this a bad idea? Thanks!

    Curiosity...You want to see what it's like...One day you won't be able to resist
  • SmashX5000SmashX5000 The Guy Who Draws Things WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Wow, this was really useful.

    I'm really looking forward to Prime. I've been trying to go for 3 or 4 years now, but every time my family's vacation plans got in the way. Thankfully, I was able to make sure nothing would get in the way this year.

    YouTube | DeviantArt | Tumblr | Formspring | Smash Time - My Webcomic
    PAX Prime Preparations - [X] - Fri-Sun Pass [X] - Panel Schedule [X] - Hype [X]
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Zumanity wrote: »
    I didn't see any previously posted question for this so I'm wondering if it's expensive to take a taxi in Seattle? Just wondering because all the close hotels are either sold out or crazy expensive while the lower cost ones are 2+ miles away. Was thinking about getting a room then taking a taxi to the convention center and hanging out there all day until we are ready to go back. Is this a bad idea? Thanks!

    The hotels aren't sold out. They are blocked off by OnPeak for PAX bookings. When the site goes live, you'll be able to book at the nearby hotels at the PAX rate.

  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    Hello from Chicago! I am currently helping organizing a group trip with fair number of people most of whom live across the globe, mainly the UK, Sweden, and the US. {Much Snippage}

    Last year I compared the PAX rate with the going rate of several of the other hotels across several time points (I'm sure many first timers do this, right? You're all price obssessed? I've been checking flight costs about 1-2x/week.) I'll spare you the trouble, the PAX rate is remarkably good. You're not going to get a better rate short of opaque bidding sites (and even that I'm not sure you would.) Even access to other things (special rates for AAA, priority rewards club, government, etc.) didn't come close.
    That being the case, IMHO, (and this is just MHO) I'd let people fend for themselves for rooms (i.e. break down in to whatever small groups works best and natuarally happens), otherwise you could end up holding the bag for a lot of hotel rooms.
    That being said, Onepeak has a pretty liberal cancellation policy (2 weeks IIRC?), so there's that I suppose. But who would want to be that guy holding a bunch of rooms while we all wail and gnash teeth trying to get them.
    One more note, Last year the wife and I decided to stay an extra night in downtown Seattle, we had originally planned to crash at a friends (Paging @Cybit, who will undoubtedly see this and jump in because he knows when I'm talking about him) but were too freaken exhausted to go back to Bellevue (yes, that tired.) The Hyatt did extend our stay, at the group rate even! (Thanks Hyatt!) but there was a scary 36 or so hours where it was "we have to see if someone cancels, we're 95% sure you'll get a room but..." So yeah, planning is good. (Thanks BTW to whoever canceled and/or didn't show up, we really loved our room that last night, it allowed us to grab dinner with another set of friends and then immediately crash sans driving back.)

  • zerzhulzerzhul Old General Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, SolidSaints Zerzhul mod
    tsrblke wrote: »
    Hello from Chicago! I am currently helping organizing a group trip with fair number of people most of whom live across the globe, mainly the UK, Sweden, and the US. {Much Snippage}

    Last year I compared the PAX rate with the going rate of several of the other hotels across several time points (I'm sure many first timers do this, right? You're all price obssessed? I've been checking flight costs about 1-2x/week.) I'll spare you the trouble, the PAX rate is remarkably good. You're not going to get a better rate short of opaque bidding sites (and even that I'm not sure you would.) Even access to other things (special rates for AAA, priority rewards club, government, etc.) didn't come close.
    That being the case, IMHO, (and this is just MHO) I'd let people fend for themselves for rooms (i.e. break down in to whatever small groups works best and natuarally happens), otherwise you could end up holding the bag for a lot of hotel rooms.
    That being said, Onepeak has a pretty liberal cancellation policy (2 weeks IIRC?), so there's that I suppose. But who would want to be that guy holding a bunch of rooms while we all wail and gnash teeth trying to get them.
    One more note, Last year the wife and I decided to stay an extra night in downtown Seattle, we had originally planned to crash at a friends (Paging @Cybit, who will undoubtedly see this and jump in because he knows when I'm talking about him) but were too freaken exhausted to go back to Bellevue (yes, that tired.) The Hyatt did extend our stay, at the group rate even! (Thanks Hyatt!) but there was a scary 36 or so hours where it was "we have to see if someone cancels, we're 95% sure you'll get a room but..." So yeah, planning is good. (Thanks BTW to whoever canceled and/or didn't show up, we really loved our room that last night, it allowed us to grab dinner with another set of friends and then immediately crash sans driving back.)

    OnPeak transfers the reservations to the hotels about 2 weeks-ish before pax, but you still have up to 72 hours before the check-in date to cancel with the hotel in most cases.

  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    OnPeak transfers the reservations to the hotels about 2 weeks-ish before pax, but you still have up to 72 hours before the check-in date to cancel with the hotel in most cases.

    Ahh yes, that's it, I always get those two numbers mixed up. In any case, liberal cancellation policy (all things considered. The last 4 hotels I booked with to get a decent rate I had to use the "No cancellations" option.)

  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    AmberStar wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »
    There isn't any official way to do that as far as I know (if there is, it isn't public facing). You could try emailing pax_questions@paxsite.com and see if they have a solution for you. Usually the main bands are just acts that the people who run pax like, and acts that will have a good following by pax attendees. Now, for the Jamspace, I'm not sure how you get a scheduled time for that. You could try PMing @NickTheNewbie since he runs the Jamspace.

    Thanks, Zerzhul. Given we're probably not a great fit for Jamspace, I'll politely poke at the other email and see if I can't find a way to (non-obnoxiously) get the attention of those in power :-D

    There's no one that's "not a great fit for jamspace." Anyone is welcome to come in. If you're not one of the officially scheduled jamspace acts, your whole group can still hop on for 10 or 15 minutes during open jam time.

  • zerzhulzerzhul Old General Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, SolidSaints Zerzhul mod
    AmberStar wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »
    There isn't any official way to do that as far as I know (if there is, it isn't public facing). You could try emailing pax_questions@paxsite.com and see if they have a solution for you. Usually the main bands are just acts that the people who run pax like, and acts that will have a good following by pax attendees. Now, for the Jamspace, I'm not sure how you get a scheduled time for that. You could try PMing @NickTheNewbie since he runs the Jamspace.

    Thanks, Zerzhul. Given we're probably not a great fit for Jamspace, I'll politely poke at the other email and see if I can't find a way to (non-obnoxiously) get the attention of those in power :-D

    There's no one that's "not a great fit for jamspace." Anyone is welcome to come in. If you're not one of the officially scheduled jamspace acts, your whole group can still hop on for 10 or 15 minutes during open jam time.

    Yeah, ^^ this. Headliner bands have played jamspace in the past. Jamspace is for everyone!

  • ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    TheClaw59 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I moved to Seattle last year and will be attending my first PAX. Just wanted to drop in and let everyone know you can find parking for a bit cheaper on 8th Ave. There are two or three U-Parks directly on 8th (the convention center has an entrance on the same Ave.), and one slightly off 8th on Columbia. Per the website:

    DAILY RATES
    Hourly Rate 0-2hrs $5.00
    All Day $10.00
    Evenings $5.00
    Event $5.00

    Here is a list of all the First Hill locations: http://www.u-parksystem.com/locations/default.asp#first_hill_seattle

    As long as you don't mind walking a few blocks you can save some cash on parking. :-)



    $15 savings per day on parking is pretty good. Thanks for that find.

    Also I'm confused, maybe I misread, but the hotels are or are not up for reservation? Are they just blocked off already, but we are still waiting for them to be available to us?

    ptriz21_teamkill on
    3DS: 3325-2059-2105
  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular

    Also I'm confused, maybe I misread, but the hotels are or are not up for reservation? Are they just blocked off already, but we are still waiting for them to be available to us?

    The Hotel registration is not up for us yet. Right now OnPeak has placed a large block hold on the hotel rooms and will be putting them up for us to register soon™. Once the hotels go up on the website the hotels that seem to go the fastest are the Sheraton & Homewood suites. If you want either of those you need to be quick.

  • ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    SkeleVader wrote: »
    The Hotel registration is not up for us yet. Right now OnPeak has placed a large block hold on the hotel rooms and will be putting them up for us to register soon™. Once the hotels go up on the website the hotels that seem to go the fastest are the Sheraton & Homewood suites. If you want either of those you need to be quick.

    Oooh trust me, I'm always booked on the first day. But I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some early accessing thing I missed bc someone said East got early access to the hotels or something.

    ptriz21_teamkill on
    3DS: 3325-2059-2105
  • CtrlAltDftCtrlAltDft Registered User regular
    What are the advantages of lining up for the convention in the morning? This last PAX East was my first PAX and I just stayed in my hotel until 10:30AM and then I hit the expo floor.

  • zerzhulzerzhul Old General Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, SolidSaints Zerzhul mod
    CtrlAltDft wrote: »
    What are the advantages of lining up for the convention in the morning? This last PAX East was my first PAX and I just stayed in my hotel until 10:30AM and then I hit the expo floor.

    Being the first to hit the Expo floor, if that's an important thing to you. You can also avoid some of the expo lines (although you would have had to be in the GIANT LINE first...). Personally I don't stand in it anymore because there's no real advantage that I know of unless you just want to be first.

  • shdwcastershdwcaster Registered User regular
    There's sometimes a bit of fun community stuff to do in the giant pre-expo floor line as well though. Silly line games, a few random prizes, and DS's everywhere.

  • ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular
    I've only stood in line for expo hall once and stood in line once for 1 panel. Other than that, my priorities are a little more sleep, and mondo burrito for breakfast :)

    3DS: 3325-2059-2105
  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    CtrlAltDft wrote: »
    What are the advantages of lining up for the convention in the morning? This last PAX East was my first PAX and I just stayed in my hotel until 10:30AM and then I hit the expo floor.

    Being the first to hit the Expo floor, if that's an important thing to you. You can also avoid some of the expo lines (although you would have had to be in the GIANT LINE first...). Personally I don't stand in it anymore because there's no real advantage that I know of unless you just want to be first.

    FWIW, the wife and I didn't figure this out until someone told us (so I figured I'd share the love early) but you don't actually have to wait in the Expo hall line to get a swag bag (you would think this is obvious, but for us n00bs it wasn't.) If they do it like that did last year the bags were in the same place as the line (hence our confusion.)

    FWIW, I don't plan on waiting in the Expohall line this year (we waited in the HaloFest line last year.) We may still get up early-ish (prior to the floor opening) and just wander the open areas of the expo hall (get oru map, get oriented, get breakfast, etc.) Word was last year even waiting in the big line didn't necessarily net you much if you weren't right up front and had the floor map memorized to get to the AAA stuff fastest.

  • sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    What kind of public transportation does Seattle have? How dangerous is the city to walk around in at 2am or later? Does PAX prime do a similar shuttle service to hotels I've heard East does? This will be my first PAX and I want to go at least one of the concerts, but the hotel I'm looking at(heck every hotel) is between 3-10 blocks away plus I may be alone

  • MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User
    CtrlAltDft wrote: »
    What are the advantages of lining up for the convention in the morning? This last PAX East was my first PAX and I just stayed in my hotel until 10:30AM and then I hit the expo floor.

    The line can be a lot of fun if you're in the mood to hang out with people, play games, and generally chill out. There's also silly line entertainment stuff going on which is always a good laugh :)

    Otherwise, by 10:30/10:45 you should be able to get in without having to go through the line. There's a benefit to being in the line if you want to get to something that will be super popular/long waits, but you need to get there early in order to make it worthwhile. Otherwise you'll have 5000 people ahead of you with the same thing in mind.

    PAX will be awesome no matter what you do :)

  • whypick1whypick1 [E] ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    sanovah wrote: »
    What kind of public transportation does Seattle have? How dangerous is the city to walk around in at 2am or later? Does PAX prime do a similar shuttle service to hotels I've heard East does? This will be my first PAX and I want to go at least one of the concerts, but the hotel I'm looking at(heck every hotel) is between 3-10 blocks away plus I may be alone

    In order:

    Bus system with an expanding light rail system that for now will only help you get between the airport and downtown where the convention is.
    It's not super dangerous, but still use common sense.
    None of the hotels are far enough away to warrant shuttle service. I don't remember all of the official PAX hotels, but I don't think any are more than a half-mile out, compared to 5-6 miles for some of the East hotels.
    Odds are if you're walking out from the concerts, there will be other people heading your direction as well.

    whypick1 on
    Is it PAX Prime yet?
  • sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »
    sanovah wrote: »
    What kind of public transportation does Seattle have? How dangerous is the city to walk around in at 2am or later? Does PAX prime do a similar shuttle service to hotels I've heard East does? This will be my first PAX and I want to go at least one of the concerts, but the hotel I'm looking at(heck every hotel) is between 3-10 blocks away plus I may be alone

    In order:

    Bus system with an expanding light rail system that for now will only help you get between the airport and downtown where the convention is.
    It's not super dangerous, but still use common sense.
    None of the hotels are far enough away to warrant shuttle service.
    Odds are if you're walking out from the concerts, there will be other people heading your direction as well.

    do you know the name of the bus system? Trying to find out routes

  • whypick1whypick1 [E] ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    SmallLady wrote: »
    Downtown Seattle

    If I want to leave downtown, how do I find my way around on the Transit System?

    One Bus Away is a fancy multi platform tool that can help you choose the best way to get from where you are to where you want to go. Check it out!


    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    what hotels are usually part of the w/e service? found a new hotel I like and am debating booking now because it might be cheaper and I don't want to get bumped

  • whypick1whypick1 [E] ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hilton, Sherton, Grand Hyatt, Hyatt Olive 8, Homewood Suites, Westin, Crowne Plaza and a couple others I don't remember.

    whypick1 on
    Is it PAX Prime yet?
  • zerzhulzerzhul Old General Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, SolidSaints Zerzhul mod
    sanovah wrote: »
    what hotels are usually part of the w/e service? found a new hotel I like and am debating booking now because it might be cheaper and I don't want to get bumped

    You're more likely to get bumped if you don't use OnPeak than if you do use OnPeak, no matter when you book a hotel. The only thing would be if suddenly it was not available because you didn't jump on the OnPeak system fast enough. You can do a search for last year's hotel thread and find last year's hotels. It will likely be mostly the same.

  • mfcxmfcx Registered User
    edited April 2012
    Hey guys!

    Been looking around for some insight on this and not able to find much, is there much of a difference in the 3 different PAX expos? I know different locations but does one focus on different things than another? I have never been to any of the conventions and I am planning on going next year (2013). Any help or a point in the right direction would be great, thanks =D

  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    There is a huge difference. The difference is that two of them exist, and the third does not.

  • zerzhulzerzhul Old General Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, SolidSaints Zerzhul mod
    mfcx wrote: »
    Hey guys!

    Been looking around for some insight on this and not able to find much, is there much of a difference in the 3 different PAX expos? I know different locations but does one focus on different things than another? I have never been to any of the conventions and I am planning on going next year (2013). Any help or a point in the right direction would be great, thanks =D

    There are only really 2 PAXen. PAX Dev is really a pre-PAX Prime developer conference for industry professionals, and it's not really related to PAX Prime and PAX East other than the name. PAX is PAX though, the major differences are the locations and the buildings in which they are housed. There have been lots of threads about this in the past, maybe search around the forums a bit.

  • whypick1whypick1 [E] ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    He could mean PAX Dev.

    @mfcx: If that is what you meant, PAX Dev is an industry event meant for game developers only (lots of technical talks). Between East and Prime, besides specific panels and concert acts, the two shows are pretty much the same.

    Is it PAX Prime yet?
  • mfcxmfcx Registered User
    edited April 2012
    I thought that PAX Dev was for developers but again I wasn't sure. Thanks for the help =D


    EDIT : Is there a size difference? I am sure some developers will present at both, but do more AAA companies go to east than prime? Main reason I ask is I feel I have seen more coverage of PAX east in the past (and no not just recently, yes I know PAX east just happened).

    Thanks again!

    mfcx on
  • akjakakjak Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I have no real question, came in to squee that it's Prime Season again!

    3DS Friend Code: 3737-9749-7483
    Pokemon IGN: Ariel, TSV: 1065
  • zerzhulzerzhul Old General Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, SolidSaints Zerzhul mod
    mfcx wrote: »
    EDIT : Is there a size difference? I am sure some developers will present at both, but do more AAA companies go to east than prime? Main reason I ask is I feel I have seen more coverage of PAX east in the past (and no not just recently, yes I know PAX east just happened).

    Thanks again!

    It depends on what the developers have to show. East is larger than Prime now in all aspects (attendees, building space, expo space, theater space, tabletop/freeplay space). Sometimes this translates into East getting some cool stuff, sometimes it doesn't. Prime is closer to a lot of the Seattle devs, so it's easier for places to get to Seattle sometimes. It's all about what's new and ready to show. East often gets whatever people showed at GDC, and Prime often gets whatever people showed at E3. Sometimes they get exclusive new things.

  • awyldknghtawyldknght Registered User regular
    My group is looking for a room that can have 4 beds ( any combination, Sofa sleeper. rollaway, double,queen , ect.). I've talked to the Sheraton (only Suites will work) and the Homewood (can't guarantee the rollaway beds).

    Will OnPeak have any of the Suites available at the Sheraton? If not, anyone have any other ideas on the closer hotels from the previous years?

    [ X ] PAX Prime 2013 tickets purchased [ X ] Hotel Room booked
    [ ] PAX Coin Ordered/Reserved
  • MrArcysMrArcys Registered User regular
    awyldknght wrote: »
    My group is looking for a room that can have 4 beds ( any combination, Sofa sleeper. rollaway, double,queen , ect.). I've talked to the Sheraton (only Suites will work) and the Homewood (can't guarantee the rollaway beds).

    Will OnPeak have any of the Suites available at the Sheraton? If not, anyone have any other ideas on the closer hotels from the previous years?

    Try emailing pax@onpeakevents.com. They should be able to answer your question.

    Alternatively, you can try http://www.airbnb.com/. You might be able to rent an apartment for Prime!

    PAX East 2013: [ ] Badge // [X] Hotel // [ ] Travel // [ ] Time Off
    Twitter: @MrArcys
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    if you want a suite in the Sheraton you're only option is to book the suite at it's full price via the Sheraton. On Peak doesn't offer these rooms via their booking system.

    and with that cost, your group may be better off just booking 2 rooms

    SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • awyldknghtawyldknght Registered User regular
    I sent them an email back on the 4/13. Haven't heard anything back from them, yet.

    I'm just wanting to try & get everything organized for when registration opens up, that way we won't miss out on getting what we want.

    [ X ] PAX Prime 2013 tickets purchased [ X ] Hotel Room booked
    [ ] PAX Coin Ordered/Reserved
  • awyldknghtawyldknght Registered User regular
    All of the Suites are the Sheraton are booked/blocked off for that weekend. The cost for the suite isn't that bad & splitting it 4 ways makes it affordable.

    Since they were not available for booking, I wondered if they were reserved for PAX.

    [ X ] PAX Prime 2013 tickets purchased [ X ] Hotel Room booked
    [ ] PAX Coin Ordered/Reserved
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    awyldknght wrote: »
    All of the Suites are the Sheraton are booked/blocked off for that weekend. The cost for the suite isn't that bad & splitting it 4 ways makes it affordable.

    Since they were not available for booking, I wondered if they were reserved for PAX.

    perhaps for VIPs or something? Not sure. Give the Hyatt, Olive 8 or the Westin a call.

    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I didn't see this covered in the FAQ under hotels so I'm curious what is THE hotel to get?

    I mean PAXEast has the Westin and the Seafront, is there an equivalent at PAXPrime?

    The Sheraton is the closest hotel.

    From WSCC door to hotel elevator, hyatt is closer... by like 15 paces :P

    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
This discussion has been closed.