As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I am homebound, give me games to play! (Freeware!)

Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED!Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
My mom recently broke her leg so I'm basically unable to leave the house for any meaningful amount of time. Thus I have nothing to do when not helping her. Problem is, unlike a lot of people, I have no real gaming backlog to speak of AND I have no money. Thus I need some games to play! I like RPGs, shooters and horror games quite a bit. If anyone has a suggestion, please tell me, I appreciate it.

Try to avoid MMOs as my schedule doesn't allow me to sit down for long periods of time and thus I can't commit to helping other people as such.

Magus` on

• Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    Spiral Knights is technically an MMO, but it is free, and you get 100 energy each day, limiting your ability or need to sit for hours and hours doing things. you can really just pick it up and play it.
    Team Fortress 2 is now free-to-play.
    Alien Swarm is also free.

• Options
    Raif SeveranceRaif Severance Registered User regular
    Go join gog.com if you haven't already and you can get a few games for free. I actually really enjoyed Treasure Adventure Game. There's always Cave Story if you haven't played that.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Didn't really dig TF2 when I tried it and I think I've beaten Alien Swarm. I'll give the Indiegames site a lot as well as GoG. As for Cave Story I beat it a long, long time ago. Great game, though!

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    If you want to kick it oldschool with some freeware rpgs then Three The Hard Way and The Way should be on the top of your list.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I know you said no MMOs, but LOTRO is a good way to burn some time online, and you can do the first huge portion of the game solo. (and it's relatively free for a while).

I didn't see strategy, but I did see RPG, mebbe you'd like Battle for Wesnoth (SRPG)

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Tribes Ascend is in open beta.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Realm of the Mad God

It's an MMORPG bullet hell shooter. I would strongly downplay the mmorpg moniker because it takes all of 45 minutes to level to the max level and cooperative play is spontaneous, easy to find, and comes with no time commitment whatsoever.

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Chzo Mythos

Really enjoyable adventure/horror games made by Yahtzee, but don't hold that against them.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Did the Chzo thing already. I'm terribad at LoL!

• Options
    Magus` wrote: »
    Did the Chzo thing already. I'm terribad at LoL!

But so is everybody, so you're on an even playing field! :P

Before I try to give other recommendations: How important are good graphics to your playing experience? You say you don't have a lot of time to play; roughly how long do you see sitting down for a given session?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Graphics don't matter as long as they're not BOTH artistically bad and technically lacking. Like Fez (a game I got with the last 10 dollars I had, for now) looks like a high tech Nintendo game technically (well, SNES) but has a great art feel to it.

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote:
    My mom recently broke her leg so I'm basically unable to leave the house for any meaningful amount of time. Thus I have nothing to do when not helping her. Problem is, unlike a lot of people, I have no real gaming backlog to speak of AND I have no money. Thus I need some games to play! I like RPGs, shooters and horror games quite a bit. If anyone has a suggestion, please tell me, I appreciate it.

Try to avoid MMOs as my schedule doesn't allow me to sit down for long periods of time and thus I can't commit to helping other people as such.

Not to break the "no MMO" rule, but if you're avoiding them because you can't commit the chunks of time required for teaming, it's worth noting that both City Of Heroes and Champions Online are currently F2P and both games are extremely friendly for solo play in small chunks.

One caveat is that City Of Heroes, at least, is really heavy on locking gameplay features behind "freemium" micro-transactions, but that might not bother you if you're not used to the full game.

• Options
    Have you tried Dwarf Fortress?

It's a difficult game to 'recommend', but if you can get past the poor interface it's a pretty enjoyable experience.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Tried Minecraft?

• Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    Hydorah and Blue Wish Resurrection for SHMUPs.

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Check out Cart Life. That's a review of it, so you can see if it appeals. The review itself has the download link in it.

• Options
    Khade97Khade97 PE10, UKRegistered User regular
    Go join gog.com if you haven't already and you can get a few games for free. I actually really enjoyed Treasure Adventure Game. There's always Cave Story if you haven't played that.

List of GOG's free games - http://www.gog.com/en/catalogue/?price=free

Also, thought of hitting up Youtube for some Let's Play videos? They will keep you busy for a while.

• Options
    Supposedly it'll be 4 weeks until she's 'healed' so I'll probably need more than one game.. hrm.. what to do.

• Options
    I thought Minecraft cost money?

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Tried Minecraft?

And they never saw Magus' again...

This isn't a bad tactical type rpg/pvp TacticsArena

edit: dunno if like card game style games, but this is one of the better ones I've found Elements

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508