As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[HBO] Game of Thrones S2 on Sunday; spoilers abound, no tags; NO BOOKS

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Also... Hodor.

Wouldn't using Hodor for his Hodor be considered a crime against the impaired?

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Also... Hodor.

Wouldn't using Hodor for his Hodor be considered a crime against the impaired?
    Just remember, kids.

Hodor means Hodor!

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Hey,

I wanna mix things up from all of our titty talk.

Who's the smexiest duder on the show?

I vote Jon Snow.

Makes me want to go bopping for dongers.

SO DREAMY.

Was not a fan of Robb early on, but were I a gay man I would leave my sexy carpenter husband for Robb Stark.

Also... Hodor.

Hmmm see if my man tastes are funky I guess. I think he's kinda weird looking.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Guys. C'mon. Truth time.

Tyrion.

Oh brilliant
  • pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    Truth time? I don't even think it would be gay to go for Drogo. It would be gay not to.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    I am probably a little biased in that Catelyn is on my list of characters I most want to suffer horribly:

Why?

1. She kidnapped my favorite character and took him to an insane madhouse and was pissed when he managed to walk out alive.
    2. Like Ned Stark she walks around with an holier than thou attitude even when asking for help(and unlike Ned Stark she isn't actually holier than thou).
    3. The way she treated Jon does not sit well with me. I know what it feels like to live in a house where somebody hates you so badly that the hate permeates the walls.
    4. Honestly the only differences I see between her and Cersei is that she is not screwing her brother and Robb is not a piece of shit like Joffery.

• Mad King GeorgeMad King George Registered User regular
    I am probably a little biased in that Catelyn is on my list of characters I most want to suffer horribly:

Why?

1. She kidnapped my favorite character and took him to an insane madhouse and was pissed when he managed to walk out alive.
    2. Like Ned Stark she walks around with an holier than thou attitude even when asking for help(and unlike Ned Stark she isn't actually holier than thou).
    3. The way she treated Jon does not sit well with me. I know what it feels like to live in a house where somebody hates you so badly that the hate permeates the walls.
    4. Honestly the only differences I see between her and Cersei is that she is not screwing her brother and Robb is not a piece of shit like Joffery.

Those seem like book quibbles because there's definitely not enough in the show to support that hate.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

Why?

Those seem like book quibbles because there's definitely not enough in the show to support that hate.

all of that happened in the show

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Why?

Did you watch the show? Al these things are supported by the show. How much they bother you is of course a personal matter, but you can't just disregard that they happened.

• DecoyDecoy Registered User regular

Why?

Because she married a rebel and mothered another. Duh!! :)

Why?

What????
    1. I must have imagined the episodes where Tyrion was kidnapped by Catelyn.
    2. Um.. Renly and I really do think Catelyn is holier than thou on the show.
    3. This actually comes from another thread. Somebody mentioned that in the pilot the whole time Jon Snow is around Catelyn is looking at him with daggers in her eyes even though Jon is not doing anything remotely deserving. I rewatched the pilot and its true, there is a ridiculous amount of hate in her eyes when she looks upon Jon Snow.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Somebody mentioned the opening titles, and the locations shown. I never realized they only show locations that figured into the episode... Has this actually been the case? I guess I always figured there were "star" locations that were always present....like king's landing or winterfell...even if no episode managed not to feature them.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Organichu wrote: »

Why?

1. As far as she knew, he'd crippled her second youngest son. Also as far as she knew, her sister wasn't crazy.

2. True. Both of them thought they knew best in every situation. Everybody does that.

3. Jon Snow is a living reminder of her husband cheating on her. Having to live with him would not just be infuriating it would be humiliating because EVERYONE would know. It also doesn't help that, frankly, Jon's kind of a dick.
    Well-intentioned, but still pretty spoiled and entitled unlike the other Starks. If Ned hadn't been in charge Jon Snow would've be kicked out of Winterfell or sent to the wall. But no, he gets to be treated just like all the legitimate kids because Ned could keep it in his pants. Even Robert Baratheon had enough sense not to try and raise his illegitimate kids in the same house as his wife, and he hated his wife, while Ned supposedly loved Catelyn.

4. She's obviously doing something right if all her kids so far have turned out to be not only smart but kind and competent.

Taramoor on
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Somebody mentioned the opening titles, and the locations shown. I never realized they only show locations that figured into the episode... Has this actually been the case? I guess I always figured there were "star" locations that were always present....like king's landing or winterfell...even if no episode managed not to feature them.

Both Dragonstone and the Dothraki land were shown in the most recent credits even though neither Stannis nor Dany appeared. Also the Wall has appeared even in episodes where Jon Snow was absent.

Why?

1. As far as she knew, he'd crippled her second youngest son. Also as far as she knew, her sister wasn't crazy.

2. True. Both of them thought they knew best in every situation. Everybody does that.

3. Jon Snow is a living reminder of her husband cheating on her. Having to live with him would not just be infuriating it would be humiliating because EVERYONE would know. It also doesn't help that, frankly, Jon's kind of a dick.
    Well-intentioned, but still pretty spoiled and entitled unlike the other Starks. If Ned hadn't been in charge Jon Snow would've be kicked out of Winterfell or sent to the wall. But no, he gets to be treated just like all the legitimate kids because Ned could keep it in his pants. Even Robert Baratheon had enough sense not to try and raise his illegitimate kids in the same house as his wife, and he hated his wife, while Ned supposedly loved Catelyn.

4. She's obviously doing something right if all her kids so far have turned out to be not only smart but kind and competent.

1) doesn't stop it from being in the show
    2) doesn't stop it from being in the show
    3) doesn't stop it from being in the show
    4) doesn't stop it from being in the show

As I said you may disagree, but your comment made no god damn sense.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    3. This actually comes from another thread. Somebody mentioned that in the pilot the whole time Jon Snow is around Catelyn is looking at him with daggers in her eyes even though Jon is not doing anything remotely deserving. I rewatched the pilot and its true, there is a ridiculous amount of hate in her eyes when she looks upon Jon Snow.

#3 is also supported by episode 2 when Jon visits Bran. Catelyn is an outright bitch there. Later, Robb asks about it (suggesting that Robb knows it would go just like it did).

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Why?

Umm... I was responding to your original comment. You may have confused me with someone else.

Yeah, so I'm guessing dragonstone has been added to the "starring" list. As opposed to "guest stars" like the eyerie

edited April 2012

Why?

Umm... I was responding to your original comment. You may have confused me with someone else.

OH SNAP I DID

I apologise and give you many internets!

But I will respond to you now!

1) It was really stupid of her to jump the gun like that with such little evidence.

2) Not everyone acts snooty

3) But taking it out on Jon who has no control over it is pretty bitchy

4) I agree I wouldn't compare her to the bitch queen.

DemonStacey on

Why?

Even Cersei is 2 for 3 and Robert was not even close to the father that Ned Stark was.

she is mega unlikable. the fact that she isn't butchering children doesn't make her personable. also whether or not jon is a reminder of something heartbreaking doesn't change that she's a heinous jerk to him.

• YarYar Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Yes, it's part of the design... but the main ones, like I think King's Landing, Winterfell, The Wall, and Vaes Dothrak, so far have always gotten featured, even when they weren't specifically in the show. Like, for instance, I don't think the recent episode featured anything in the East, nor the Wall (only north of it), nor Dragonstone. But those are all sort of important to the story right now, so they were in the credits. Also I think at least one episode did not feature Winterfell, but it as still in the credits. I think the only one that was taken out when it was no longer important was The Eyrie. The ones that have been added, and stayed (so far), were Pyke and Dragonstone.

Yar on

Why?

Did you watch the show? Al these things are supported by the show...

Not to the degree stated by a long shot.

1) She arrested someone she knew was tied with the people that crippled her son. And being that every other character treats this guy like crap or suspects him of awfulness, it's not like she's singling him out. Hell, she even finds out the dagger that nearly killed her and her son was his. It's not like she's got some hate-on for little people.

And she let him go. Her being unhappy about that doesn't make her some megabitch in a world this cruel.

2) How does she have a holier than thou attitude? She has an air of strong reserve and quiet dignity, but holier than thou? Who should she be acting like that's a fair representative of matured womanhood? Cersei? Her crazy sister?

3) She gave Jon the stink eye during archery practice and then commanded him to leave the room when she was sitting a vigil for her crippled son whom she thought would die.

That's definitely not hating him so badly the hate permeates the walls and it's a lot less harsh than any stepmother from a Disney movie.

4) And seriously? The only difference between her and a sociopathic blonde ice queen is that Ned isn't her brother? Really? She's just wantonly cruel, unapologetically cutting with everything she says, willing to do anything and sacrifice anyone to meet her twisted goals, etc.? Really?

Going based on the text of the show, come on.

• DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    1. She let Tyrion and Bronn walk out into the Mountain of Moon with to die. They didn't even have horses. Of course her sister rules in the Vale so how much say she had on the matter (or even if she could have somehow gave him her own aid is uncertain....She probably had none cause Lysa be fucking nuts.)

3. She was a total bitch to Jon as he said goodbye to his brother for what may have been the last time ever. Seriously, his brother was in a coma, there was a very real chance he'd die and Jon was saying goodbye to him before he went to live a life of servitude for the realm in the frozen North. She couldn't even stand not being bitchy to him as he did that.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision

Why?

Did you watch the show? Al these things are supported by the show...

Not to the degree stated by a long shot.

1) She arrested someone she knew was tied with the people that crippled her son. And being that every other character treats this guy like crap or suspects him of awfulness, it's not like she's singling him out. Hell, she even finds out the dagger that nearly killed her and her son was his. It's not like she's got some hate-on for little people.

And she let him go. Her being unhappy about that doesn't make her some megabitch in a world this cruel.

2) How does she have a holier than thou attitude? She has an air of strong reserve and quiet dignity, but holier than thou? Who should she be acting like that's a fair representative of matured womanhood? Cersei? Her crazy sister?

3) She gave Jon the stink eye during archery practice and then commanded him to leave the room when she was sitting a vigil for her crippled son whom she thought would die.

That's definitely not hating him so badly the hate permeates the walls and it's a lot less harsh than any stepmother from a Disney movie.

4) And seriously? The only difference between her and a sociopathic blonde ice queen is that Ned isn't her brother? Really? She's just wantonly cruel, unapologetically cutting with everything she says, willing to do anything and sacrifice anyone to meet her twisted goals, etc.? Really?

Going based on the text of the show, come on.

I don't even really have a hate on for her but I'm just saying that it could easily be justified by the show. Saying otherwise is a bit close minded.

Refer to my explainations on 1 and 3. 2, as I said, is specific to the viewer. She is a SUPER bitch to Jon on the show. Like... he was leaving possibly to NEVER see his little brother again. And she got SUPER bitchy at him.

And 1 was just DUMB. Like super dumb. Like it was OBVIOUSLY set-up and even if it wasn't she totally jumped the gun.

I for one, would not be dissappointed if Cat ends up as a head on a stick. I don't actively hate her, I just don't like her. Plus, she was mean to Jon, and that made me sad. Jon's a nice dude!

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    As a book reader, I would suspect that any person who outright hates Cat in the show at this point is most assuredly not a book reader, as there have been a number of subtle changes to her character to make her less antagonistic and easier to empathize with, so any person who has read the source material is much more likely to react with a "wow, they've really toned her down" instead of a "hatehatehatehatehatehatehatehatehate."

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular

This season I think they're showing locations that aren't in the episode simply because the credit roll got longer and they have to fill time.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Hee. What with all the nicknames, I had a stupid little thought.

Future generations will remember him as King Joffrey I Baratheon, the Slapped.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

This season I think they're showing locations that aren't in the episode simply because the credit roll got longer and they have to fill time.

I think they did this once or twice last year too. King's Landing/Winterfell/The Wall/Vaes Dothrak are always in, and then they need a couple extras regardless of where the action is taking place.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Pretty clear that Theon's father treats him the way he does because he's a living, breathing reminder and symbol of his own humiliating defeat. He transfers all his rage and hatred over that to Theon, who had nothing to do with it.

Theon's horndogness really knows no standards, though, does it? I'd have to say his sister is about as ugly as Brienne is.

Gaslight wrote: »
    Pretty clear that Theon's father treats him the way he does because he's a living, breathing reminder and symbol of his own humiliating defeat. He transfers all his rage and hatred over that to Theon, who had nothing to do with it.

Theon's horndogness really knows no standards, though, does it? I'd have to say his sister is about as ugly as Brienne is.

still sexy, though, in that horse scene.

I don't even really have a hate on for her but I'm just saying that it could easily be justified by the show.

Saying otherwise is a bit close minded.

It's not justified. It's justified more in the books but the show has way lessened that impact in that way.
    Refer to my explainations on 1 and 3. 2, as I said, is specific to the viewer. She is a SUPER bitch to Jon on the show. Like... he was leaving possibly to NEVER see his little brother again. And she got SUPER bitchy at him.

And 1 was just DUMB. Like super dumb. Like it was OBVIOUSLY set-up and even if it wasn't she totally jumped the gun.

What explanations?

And for 2 to be supportable there would have to be some mature woman character with children who acts demonstrably better than her.

And again, "SUPER bitch"? Seriously?

She looks at him with disdain and commands him to leave the room when she is sitting vigil for a son she thought would die. Like, do you have no understanding of motherhood? Of the bond a woman who loves her children feels for them? Of the bond that is created just by the act of having another human being exit your vagina whom you then raise and then is nearly snatched away from you?

I don't even really have a hate on for her but I'm just saying that it could easily be justified by the show.

Saying otherwise is a bit close minded.

It's not justified. It's justified more in the books but the show has way lessened that impact in that way.

What explanations?

And for 2 to be supportable there would have to be some mature woman character with children who acts demonstrably better than her.

And again, "SUPER bitch"? Seriously?

She looks at him with disdain and commands him to leave the room when she is sitting vigil for a son she thought would die. Like, do you have no understanding of motherhood? Of the bond a woman who loves her children feels for them? Of the bond that is created just by the act of having another human being exit your vagina whom you then raise and then is nearly snatched away from you?

For what it's worth, my fiance (who knows motherhood) said, and I quote "What a bitch"

For what it's worth, my fiance (who knows motherhood) said, and I quote "What a bitch"

Well, that settles it, then. Catelyn Stark is worse than Eva Braun's crusty old tampon.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    She wasn't overly fond of Jon Snow; he's a constant reminder that Ned was unfaithful to her.

But then, no one seems overly fond of Jon Snow, bastard that he is.

I think it's unfair to compare her to Cersai though.

Oh brilliant
    Meh. I think Yara would clean up quite nicely.

• OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    Fairley plays Catelyn much more severe than I imagined her. She's one of the only casting choices I don't really like, in a show which by and large has masterful casting.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Meh. I think Yara would clean up quite nicely.

Yeah, she really doesn't care about looking like a tarted up whore. She's Ironborn. She doesn't have any gear she didn't kill dudes to get. If she wanted to, I expect she could do the painted lady routine sufficiently enough ("sufficient" being "able to get close enough to jab a knife through his ribcage").

Well, that settles it, then. Catelyn Stark is worse than Eva Braun's crusty old tampon.

That's just gross. My point was, I think it can be quite understandable that someone would find Catelyn to be a super bitch. Doesn't mean she's evil, or even bad... just bitchy. Since we're discussing characters we dislike, I get that people would not like someone like that.

For me, I don't dislike her, I just don't like her. OremLK called it: She's severe. It's not an appealing trait.

This discussion has been closed.