As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[HBO] Game of Thrones S2 on Sunday; spoilers abound, no tags; NO BOOKS

• Mad King GeorgeMad King George Registered User regular
    Talka wrote: »
    Talka wrote: »
    Guys, no books!

And Mad King George: I haven't read the books and I find Catelyn haughty, severe and occasionally unreasonable. People react to characters differently. It doesn't mean they're "projecting" anything.

Did you read the whole discourse? Or did you read this page?

I read the whole discourse.

Right from the beginning, where you baselessly assumed someone had to be conflating the book with the show, to this post, where you baselessly assumed I hadn't read the whole conversation.

Really, this whole Catelyn talk has been you casting baseless aspersions whenever someone disagrees with you.

Nope.

It just has me going based on the text. :)

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    valiance wrote: »
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    Margary is crazy hot, second to only "dat ass" Dany. Cersei gets third place. And I like how Natalie dormer moves her mouth. Little imperfections like that make people feel more unique and real, especially in a medieval era where say if she had a crossbite or some dental issue that makes her talk like that, it would be impossible to fix. Unless they do have dentists in Westeros...

I agree with this 1-3 ranking. Actually, maybe melisandre in 3?

Melisandre totally in 3rd. Cersei is not even close to those three.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • PoultryGeistPoultryGeist The Ghostly Chicken Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Doubled up :rotate:

PoultryGeist on
    IcdplGM.png
  • PoultryGeistPoultryGeist The Ghostly Chicken Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Stop being geese and look at the pretty lady
    Natalie+Dormer+6th+Annual+Oscar+Wilde+Honoring+77gjL2EIgAZl.jpg

Ed: My sig is so appropriate right now.

PoultryGeist on
    IcdplGM.png
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Margary is crazy hot, second to only "dat ass" Dany. Cersei gets third place. And I like how Natalie dormer moves her mouth. Little imperfections like that make people feel more unique and real, especially in a medieval era where say if she had a crossbite or some dental issue that makes her talk like that, it would be impossible to fix. Unless they do have dentists in Westeros...

1) Dany 2) Mel 3) Brienne

steam_sig.png
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular

1) Dany 2) Mel 3) Brienne

1) Mel 2) Mel 3) Mel

4) is either Yara or Margaery...almost certainly Margaery

Dany is meh to me. I mean, I ain't gonna say she's not hot, but just...among hot women she's just meh.

You know who's hotter than any of them?
    MUH' FUCKIN' DROH-to-the-GOH

Also, any seats left on the Fuck Catelyn Express?

Window, preferably.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Petyr is the conductor of the Fuck Catelyn Express, I believe

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Only if you want it to get derailed.

Also, few pages late on the intro talk, but I'm pretty sure the very first episode showed Pentos, and skipped Vaes Dothrak. Think they'd been pretty bang on with only showing places that featured until the last episode.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
    edited April 2012
    McFodder wrote: »
    Only if you want it to get derailed.

Also, few pages late on the intro talk, but I'm pretty sure the very first episode showed Pentos, and skipped Vaes Dothrak. Think they'd been pretty bang on with only showing places that featured until the last episode.

Possibly. I'd have to look back through. Especially on that Pentos bit.

Also, I suppose you'd have to keep in mind that even if the place itself isn't featured, the characters associated with it may be. For instance, the Night's Watch is off in the wilderness north of the wall, so they just keep showing The Wall (and Castle Black). An episode may have gone by that didn't feature Winterfell, but it would have featured various Starks. We haven't seen Vaes Dothrak in forever, and may well never see it again...but Dany and her Khalesar count. That kind of thing.

EDIT: Yup, Pentos. That's awesome.

mcdermott on
    Well, it was the same for Dany last season, that whole time she was travelling around with the Dothraki it still said she was at Vaes Dothrak.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • yotesyotes Registered User regular
    After watching Mad Men, I enjoyed the contrast between Cersei and Trudi's dinner parties.

I can't decide Margie was being very helpful and understanding or power-hungry and ruthless in Renly's tent. On the one hand, she seems to like him even though they'd have to resort to some non-traditional ways to maek babby. On the other, she really, really wants to be a big queen. Just like her husband.

Because I find her very attractive, I'm leaning towards her just being the sweetest gal.

The Greyjoys look like they're first in line to get horrible murder and rape and burning done to them by the Starks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • izzybizzyb AdelaideRegistered User regular
    I think that a significant portion of Margaery's openness was a subtle reminder to Renly that Tyrells talk and that they know all his secrets.

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Somehow blanked on Mel. I'm actually changing the order and going 1. Mel 2. Dany 3. Margary.

edit: Dany is number 2 until she finds the time to be sexy

Heisenberg on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    MrMister wrote: »
    The titty talk leaves me feeling a little gross; I wonder how it feels to be a regular lookin' girl and come in here reading people calling Margaery a fish-face. Talk about unrealistic standards.

That being said: Robb Stark is dreamy (Jon Snow is okay); Vicerys was actually pretty cute while he lasted, although being a total bastard detracted; but overall MVP in the hot department is Renly. I don't know when I like him better--when he's wearing his little crown and his foppish armor, or when Loras is taking them off. Either way, yes please. I'd let him be king for a night.

Heh I dunno, whenever I watch TV with my sister and her friends they're 5x as brutal about other women's looks then any guys I know.

Not that it's still not stupid, just y'know. Being harsh on women's looks is not just a male->female thing.

I can attest to that as well, the things my wife says about women's looks who I think are attractive... LOL
    My wife keeps calling Dany fat and "broad-shouldered". Then again, she always pretends to hate things I like, particularly if she likes them because I introduced them. F'rinstance, she still claims to hate Avatar and think it's a stupid show, despite (Season 2 spoiler)
    Practically breaking down in tears when Appa was kidnapped,
    and frequently making references to the show. "Lettuce leaf?"
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Jon Snow is too broody and serious to be truly attractive. Definitely gotta go with Renly here, although special shout-out to Littlefinger, now that I think about it. He has the handsome Mayor-face of his Wire days, plus a goatee, plus a smirking cleverness that's much more appealing than the rest of dickish men on the show.

For the women... hell, I don't know. They're all interchangeable with their tops off. I like Yara, though--style, humor, confidence.
    Hmm, for dudes, I'd probably go Gendry ->Renly -> Jon Snow.
    Though Cousin Lannister is pretty good looking. My friend and I commented on how he almost looks more like season 1 Gendry than season 2 Gendry does.

steam_sig.png
  • frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular

For what it's worth, my fiance (who knows motherhood) said, and I quote "What a bitch"

Well, that settles it, then. Catelyn Stark is worse than Eva Braun's crusty old tampon.

That's just gross. My point was, I think it can be quite understandable that someone would find Catelyn to be a super bitch. Doesn't mean she's evil, or even bad... just bitchy. Since we're discussing characters we dislike, I get that people would not like someone like that.

For me, I don't dislike her, I just don't like her. OremLK called it: She's severe. It's not an appealing trait.

If people found her severe, or stern, or a bunch of other things, it'd be cool. If someone just plain didn't like her, hey, whatevs.

But they didn't. Because she's a "SUPER bitch" who needs to "suffer horribly." (Apparently having your family torn asunder, husband murdered, etc. isn't horrible enough.)

And to feel that way you've got to be projecting, confusing book Cat with show Cat or some combo thereof because every attack against her has been a misrepresentation of what she's done or taken her actions completely out of context and all have lacked any sort of empathy for her. At all.

It's too bad she doesn't carry a sword and/or have some rude tittays hanging out. Since she doesn't, I guess that Super bitch should suffer horribly.

Or it could be that I just hate different character traits then you. There are two things that will make any character dead to me: Unfounded arrogance (Viserys, Balon Greyjoy) and Self-righteousness (Ned Stark, Catelyn Stark). Add that to the fact that Catelyn has mistreated two of my favorite characters (one of whom is my favorite character) and her relationship with Jon reminds me of something in my past and you have a character specifically made for me to hate.

And since your other accusation is that I hate her because she is a women, let me say this "I am glad Ned Stark is dead" How many innocent commoners have died already because Ned Stark went "honer herp derp". Fuck that guy.

Comparing Catelyn to Cersei was an overstatement, but I am hardly the first person to grossly overstate something on an internet message board. What I meant by that was (to grossly oversimplify) some characters are only "good guys" because of their place in the story. If one were to make Arya or Bran into Lannisters they would still be "good guys". If one were to make Catelyn a Lannister I think she would make a credible "bad guy".

edited April 2012
    Completely completely agreed @MadKingGeorge

Couldn't have said it better myself.

You guys need to cut way back on the hyperbole and look at things honestly, along with why the people are doing what they do along with who they are at heart. Catelyn is a good person with some serious flaws who makes mistakes. Ultimately, all she wants is peace, she's just completely blind on how to go about getting it and should really just be left to care for Bran in Winterfell. The difference between her and Cersei is that Cersei doesn't give a shit about anyone (besides Jaime and her kids) and enjoys watching people suffer for no reason. She ultimately doesn't care about what happens in Westeros as long as she's in power.

I don't know how you could say that you hate Ned. Are you forgetting what kind of world they come from? No matter what decisions he could have made in Robert's Rebellion, innocents were going to die. He made mistakes, yeah, but he did a pretty good job considering the circumstances.

Heisenberg on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Margaery is a Cersei-in-the-making.

Overall I'd say this episode was a little weak. Not bad, just didn't wow me. Favorite moments:

"The queen must never know."
    "I love conversations that start this way."

And Arya at the end. "You want Gendry? That's him right there." Clever girl.

Gaslight on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    My wife thinks Jon Snow is the dreamiest of the dreamy, or so I'm told.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
    My girlfriend thinks it's funny how many girls love Jon when (to her) Jaime is significantly hotter. I pretty much agree.

edited April 2012

You guys need to cut way back on the hyperbole and look at things honestly, along with why the people are doing what they do along with who they are at heart. Catelyn is a good person with some serious flaws who makes mistakes. Ultimately, all she wants is peace, she's just completely blind on how to go about getting it and should really just be left to care for Bran in Winterfell. The difference between her and Cersei is that Cersei doesn't give a shit about anyone (besides Jaime and her kids) and enjoys watching people suffer for no reason. She ultimately doesn't care about what happens in Westeros as long as she's in power.

I don't know how you could say that you hate Ned. Are you forgetting what kind of world they come from? No matter what decisions he could have made in Robert's Rebellion, innocents were going to die. He made mistakes, yeah, but he did a pretty good job considering the circumstances.

I don't blame Ned for Robert's Rebellion, because what the hell was he supposed to do the King was burning people alive. I blame Ned for Ned's Rebellion.

from the How I Met Your Mother thread technically spoilers (for How I Met Your Mother not Game of Thrones)
    tbloxham wrote: »
    They should just put an easter egg in there somewhere with a mugshot of her on a newspaper and a caption, "Stella bankrupt after her husband is eaten by furious bears in a zoo they unwisely purchased. A spokesman for the bear said, "VENGEANCE!" "

tbloxham wants Tony to be eaten by bears for making an unflattering movie about Ted, he must be conflating television show Tony with Tony in the How I Met Your Mother book series

frandelgearslip on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    OremLK wrote: »

careful

if you recognize handsomeness you're gay

even if it's just for a moment

OremLK wrote: »

careful

if you recognize handsomeness you're gay

even if it's just for a moment

Jon snow does have very pretty hair

edited April 2012

I don't blame Ned for Robert's Rebellion, because what the hell was he supposed to do the King was burning people alive. I blame Ned for Ned's Rebellion.

from the How I Met Your Mother thread (technically spoilers)
    They should just put an easter egg in there somewhere with a mugshot of her on a newspaper and a caption, "Stella bankrupt after her husband is eaten by furious bears in a zoo they unwisely purchased. A spokesman for the bear said, "VENGEANCE!" "

tbloxham wants Tony to be eaten by bears for making an unflattering movie about Ted, he must be conflating television show Tony with Tony in the How I Met Your Mother book series

Ned's rebellion is (primarily) Joffrey, Cersei, and Littlefinger's fault. The blame lies nowhere else.

Heisenberg on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Ned's rebellion is (primarily) Joffrey, Cersei, and Littlefinger's fault. The blame lies nowhere else.

Actually, you can throw a dash of it onto Jamie.

Xeddicus on
    edited April 2012
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Yeah, absolutely. Fuck the Lannisters, blaming Ned at all for what happened is absurd.

Heisenberg on
    How about Lysa, sending that dumbass note of hers? And for that matter, Bran for not minding his own god damn business and immediately climbing back down the way he should have?

Plenty of blame to go 'round.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I'm utterly confused that there are people who don't think Margaery is hot. She's the best looking actress on a show with a number of gorgeous cast members, and is a badass to boot.

Speaking of badassery -- "Never did like crossbows. Take too long to load." :D
    I think because of that he wins so far on epic Shakespearean style death scenes.

spoilered because this thread is serious business with serious rules (not even book related).

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    edited April 2012
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Yeah, absolutely. Fuck the Lannisters, blaming Ned at all for what happened is absurd.

Don't get me wrong all the Lannisters (excepting Tyrion and Joffreys younger siblings) can all die in a fire. Also Littlefinger can be eaten by wolves.

As for Ned, he was happy to look the other way and let the Lannisters do all kinds of horrible shit, but as soon as the Lannisters interfered with Ned's honor thats when it came time to enact civil war. Ned had about a thousand choices on how to handle the Joffrey situation and he responded by choosing the worst one, simply because it was the most honorable choice.

frandelgearslip on
    edited April 2012
    To Ned's credit he ended up trying to do the right thing and stop a civil war.

Then Joff decided to lop off his head and start one anyway.

OremLK on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    He would have probably been better off letting them keep him in a cell. Then Tywin probably would have offered him up in trade for Jaime.

Ned's honor is stupid though, if they had sent him north he probably would have gone to the wall, even though the moment they passed the neck he could have said "fuck that shit Joffrey has no authority I'm still warden of the north". What could Joffrey have done about it?

override367 on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    But Ned could have gone to the Wall to hang out with Jon, and be the father figure all those murder's, rapists, and thieves needed to set them aright.

steam_sig.png
  • johnwingjohnwing Registered User regular
    Game of Thrones really have a lot of strong female characters. Is this unusual in fantasy stories? I mean in the Wheel of Time series you also have a lot strong female characters.

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Women being masters at intrigue and pulling the strings of power?
    WHY I AM SHOCKED.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    Margaery is Cersei if Cersei was smart.

Cersei's biggest problem is she thinks she is brilliant and she really isn't.

• NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I thought this was the strongest episode so far. It felt less rushed between scenes since they skipped out on a lot of characters sidestories to focus on these particular people

That scene of Theon sitting in the dark and burning his letter was beautiful

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

This is my last attempt to make my point on this because if MKG, and now you, are not seeing the point here you are so close-minded that this entire discussion is pointless.

This entire conversation is based around how people FEEL about scenes in the show. Different things resonate differently to different people. This isn't even the normal internet matter of lolpinions this conversation started on a matter that was entirely outside the realm of right or wrong. Yet for some reason MKG insists on trying to point out how it is wrong.

Conversation went as follows:

I hate this character.
    MKG: There is no way you could hate that character.
    What? I do and these are my reasons
    MKG: I feel differently about those reasons so you're wrong

Seriously. That is some close-minded bullshit and if you don't see that you need some sort of reality check.

• izzybizzyb AdelaideRegistered User regular
    I don't know about everyone else, but for me Theon has really been the star of the last couple of episodes. His transition from pampered Northerner (thats right I went there, PAMPERED Northerner - who knew?) to a skin-and-bones Ironborn is a bit sad but also quite fascinating.

What is dead may never die!

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    johnwing wrote: »
    Game of Thrones really have a lot of strong female characters. Is this unusual in fantasy stories? I mean in the Wheel of Time series you also have a lot strong female characters.

GOT is special because it also has a lot of weak female characters. By "weak" I mean flawed. Too often male writers either make their female characters meek non-entities or sassy back-talking omni-competent Mary-Sues. Catelyn's a good example of that; she's basically a good person but screws up a lot and was really mean to Jon Snow. This is what gets her the hate from fans who don't get flawed characters, unless the flaw is "likes killing people way too much."

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    The fun part of Game of Thrones is that the society is ridiculously sexist (much like our own real world in prior centuries), and the female characters have adapted to take power where they can manage it (much like our own real world).

It strives to have realistic societal constructs in a fantasy world, which is actually kinda rare in modern fiction.

Though I do kinda wish that GoT had elves so it could be realistic in how humans would deal with them (i.e. by murdering, raping, and enslaving those self-righteous pricks, just like in Dragon Age).

This discussion has been closed.