As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX PRIME 2012 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    BigRed wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I didn't see this covered in the FAQ under hotels so I'm curious what is THE hotel to get?

I mean PAXEast has the Westin and the Seafront, is there an equivalent at PAXPrime?

The Sheraton is the closest hotel.

From WSCC door to hotel elevator, hyatt is closer... by like 15 paces :P
    except some of pax is in the sheraton ;-)

• Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    mfcx wrote: »
    I thought that PAX Dev was for developers but again I wasn't sure. Thanks for the help =D

EDIT : Is there a size difference? I am sure some developers will present at both, but do more AAA companies go to east than prime? Main reason I ask is I feel I have seen more coverage of PAX east in the past (and no not just recently, yes I know PAX east just happened).

Thanks again!
    SmallLady wrote: »
    awyldknght wrote: »
    All of the Suites are the Sheraton are booked/blocked off for that weekend. The cost for the suite isn't that bad & splitting it 4 ways makes it affordable.

Since they were not available for booking, I wondered if they were reserved for PAX.

perhaps for VIPs or something? Not sure. Give the Hyatt, Olive 8 or the Westin a call.

I'm gonna regret this, buuut last year the Hyatt was basically giving suites away, offering you and friends in a seperate room the chance to combine together and upgrade for no price increase (to free up regular rooms). So you might try giving them a call and see what you can swing (YMMV, that was last year and such.) I feel fine saying this because I don't have enough friends staying in hotels to benefit me ;).

• Options
    jakers11jakers11 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So Im assuming that Onpeak has bought out the Sheraton hotel rooms for the weekend? (I hope)

jakers11 on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Yes, OnPeak has taken large chunks of the partner hotels, so booking rooms directly is going to be kind of difficult. Just wait for OnPeak to go live.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    GameDude79GameDude79 Registered User new member
    edited April 2012
    I'm under 18. Will I be able to get into a panel for/play the demo of <insert M-Rated game here>?

It is convention wide policy to follow the ESRB ratings, even if your parents are present. Be aware that some exhibitors may ask you for your ID.
    It should also be noted that there is no way for a minor's guardian to allow the minor to play/view M-Rated content without the guardian physically present for the content; there is no "permission form" or similar thing available. Also, some exhibitors might still not allow minors to view their M-Rated content with the guardian present.

So I'm turning 17 this July and I was thinking about going to PAX with a couple buddies this year. Is the age to play M-rated games at PAX really 18? I would of thought it would be 17 since that's the ESRB's recommended minimum age for playing M rated games. On the ESRB website, it says, "Titles rated M (Mature) have content that may be suitable for persons ages 17 and older." If it is 18, should I just wait and go next year?

GameDude79 on
  • Options
    GameDude79 wrote: »
    I'm under 18. Will I be able to get into a panel for/play the demo of <insert M-Rated game here>?

It is convention wide policy to follow the ESRB ratings, even if your parents are present. Be aware that some exhibitors may ask you for your ID.
    It should also be noted that there is no way for a minor's guardian to allow the minor to play/view M-Rated content without the guardian physically present for the content; there is no "permission form" or similar thing available. Also, some exhibitors might still not allow minors to view their M-Rated content with the guardian present.

So I'm turning 17 this July and I was thinking about going to PAX with a couple buddies this year. Is the age to play M-rated games at PAX really 18? I would of thought it would be 17 since that's the ESRB's recommended minimum age for playing M rated games. On the ESRB website, it says, "Titles rated M (Mature) have content that may be suitable for persons ages 17 and older." If it is 18, should I just wait and go next year?

Its fine if you look remotely over 15. I played all the M games I ever could want and I was 16, although being 6'6'' and having some serious chops on meh face probably helped though.

• Options
    hiddenllamahiddenllama SeattleRegistered User regular
    SQUEAL! I was so excited to see this thread. After just turning 21, I'm really looking forward to the after parties, I suppose there is no news on those yet? :P

• Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    jakers11 wrote: »

Its fine if you look remotely over 15. I played all the M games I ever could want and I was 16, although being 6'6'' and having some serious chops on meh face probably helped though.

Please do NOT BE SURPRISED if an exhibitor decides to ID you to play their M rated game.

That being said, there is TONNES to do at PAX that have nothing to do with playing / demoing M rated games. :) You'll have a blast no matter what.

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    SQUEAL! I was so excited to see this thread. After just turning 21, I'm really looking forward to the after parties, I suppose there is no news on those yet? :P

PA community after parties you'll find out about on these forums. Industry afterparties you'll need to wait to hear from whichever company is sponsoring it.

• Options
    MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular

Yes, exhibitors may ID you, but tbh there are so many amazing things to do at PAX which are not age restricted (vast majority of demos, freeplay area, concerts, panels, DJ Vapok's /dance party, etc) that you will not be left out at all. Lots of people come to PAX as under-18s, or as families with TinyPeople(TM).

Long story short: Come. To. PAX.

• Options

Make sure you keep an eye out for the Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament. It's a lot of fun, and there is a non-zero possibility that I will end up in a wizard dance-duel outside a karaoke bar. In fact, I'd place the odds at 10:1 in favour.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Zumanity wrote: »
    I didn't see any previously posted question for this so I'm wondering if it's expensive to take a taxi in Seattle? Just wondering because all the close hotels are either sold out or crazy expensive while the lower cost ones are 2+ miles away. Was thinking about getting a room then taking a taxi to the convention center and hanging out there all day until we are ready to go back. Is this a bad idea? Thanks!

The hotels aren't sold out. They are blocked off by OnPeak for PAX bookings. When the site goes live, you'll be able to book at the nearby hotels at the PAX rate.

Any ETA on when it goes live?

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    The Geek wrote: »
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Zumanity wrote: »
    I didn't see any previously posted question for this so I'm wondering if it's expensive to take a taxi in Seattle? Just wondering because all the close hotels are either sold out or crazy expensive while the lower cost ones are 2+ miles away. Was thinking about getting a room then taking a taxi to the convention center and hanging out there all day until we are ready to go back. Is this a bad idea? Thanks!

The hotels aren't sold out. They are blocked off by OnPeak for PAX bookings. When the site goes live, you'll be able to book at the nearby hotels at the PAX rate.

Any ETA on when it goes live?

Nope. Nobody knows until it's here. Keep an eye on the forums.

• Options
    awyldknghtawyldknght Registered User regular
    Went to reserve a room at a couple hotels to be safe, only rooms left are the ones held by Onpeak for PAX. *sarcasm* YAY great!!! *end sarcasm*

[ X ] PAX Prime 2013 tickets purchased [ X ] Hotel Room booked
    [ ] PAX Coin Ordered/Reserved
  • Options
    As we've stated in here, booking a hotel through not-OnPeak means you're more likely to get bumped if the hotel overbooks, which makes it the opposite of "safe".

• Options
    awyldknghtawyldknght Registered User regular
    We were planning on booking outside & through Onpeak. Then canceling the one through the hotel. Was just trying to be safe & have 2 reservations

[ X ] PAX Prime 2013 tickets purchased [ X ] Hotel Room booked
    [ ] PAX Coin Ordered/Reserved
  • Options
    mikegonzalezmikegonzalez Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Really looking forward to (hopefully) attending my first PAX. It's been a dream for a years now, but it's looking like I'll actually be able to get away from Chicago for the weekend this year.

Just wondering, for those who had to travel in from out of state, how much did the entire trip end up costing you? I know this can vary greatly from person to person, but I'm just trying to get a general idea of how much this is all going to cost. I'm aware the hotels have a PAX rate (provided I can get a reservation in time), but generally how much does it come out to for the (I'm assuming) 5 nights you need to stay, at the main hotels? How much are you setting aside for the trip this year? What are the areas in which you're planning to be more thrifty?

Thanks in advance for any answers/advice you can provide. This is a great FAQ, and it seems like such a chill community.

mikegonzalez on
    "I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."

XBL: ii Mike G ii - PSN: Greddy21 - Steam: notmikegonzalez - Slytherin - Death Eater
  • Options
    Really looking forward to (hopefully) attending my first PAX. It's been a dream for a years now, but it's looking like I'll actually be able to get away from Chicago for the weekend this year.

Just wondering, for those who had to travel in from out of state, how much did the entire trip end up costing you? I know this can vary greatly from person to person, but I'm just trying to get a general idea of how much this is all going to cost. I'm aware the hotels have a PAX rate (provided I can get a reservation in time), but generally how much does it come out to for the (I'm assuming) 5 nights you need to stay, at the main hotels? How much are you setting aside for the trip this year? What are the areas in which you're planning to be more thrifty?

Thanks in advance for any answers/advice you can provide. This is a great FAQ, and it seems like such a chill community.

Hi! Welcome and enjoy your first PAX!!

Cheaper ways to get to Seattle might be the cross-country road trip or train trip, so you can carpool with people (keep your eyes peeled for the threads)

Save money by buying food outside the convention center, and either get a hotel with inclusive breakfast or nom outside the hotel.

Save your money to buy stuff until the last day, when there will be discounts (except for the t-shirt, if you want to buy it, which you need to get on the first day)

Check out the room-share thread, rooms are usually between 100-170 a night, but you can split this between people.

Bear in mind that there is a "voluntary" donation of $1500 to SmallLady per person for setting up this FAQ. Failure to comply results in stabbed kneecaps.

That last one might have been a joke. Maybe.

• Options
    Just for a rough idea, I am traveling from Vancouver,BC by train with 2 friends. With passes, tickets and hotels its gonna be about $360 without food or any spending money. But really, there is so much swag I didn't find I bought much.

Just for a rough idea, I am traveling from Vancouver,BC by train with 2 friends. With passes, train tickets and hotels its gonna be about $360 without food or any spending money. But really, there is so much swag I didn't find I bought much except the mandatory PAX Prime tshirt. Also, try to find places to eat outside of the convention center, you can easily spend $20 a day just buying snacks there.

• Options
    JamieODJamieOD Dublin, IrelandRegistered User regular
    Is the discounted hotel rate for the PAX dates only available if you are just staying for those days? This will be my first time at PAX and I'm thinking of staying in Seattle for a week from 29th August to 5th September. Could I still use the hotel rate for the PAX dates along with the normal rate for the rest of the week?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    JamieOD wrote: »
    Is the discounted hotel rate for the PAX dates only available if you are just staying for those days? This will be my first time at PAX and I'm thinking of staying in Seattle for a week from 29th August to 5th September. Could I still use the hotel rate for the PAX dates along with the normal rate for the rest of the week?

WELCOME TO PAAAAXXX!!

29th-5th should definitely be covered by the hotel booking system. Some people start getting get in on monday/tuesday, and many don't leave until the following tues/weds.

MelesMeles on
  • Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    MelesMeles wrote: »

Make sure you keep an eye out for the Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament. It's a lot of fun, and there is a non-zero possibility that I will end up in a wizard dance-duel outside a karaoke bar. In fact, I'd place the odds at 10:1 in favour.

I've never been one for the bar crawl but this makes me pause and reconsider...

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Really looking forward to (hopefully) attending my first PAX.

Word of sagely advice: Only bring a shirt or two with you. You will be walking out of there with a paxjillion free new shirts.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Word of sagely advice: Only bring a shirt or two with you. You will be walking out of there with a paxjillion free new shirts.

That is, if you do expo. I, for example, never do expo, and usually don't get free shirts. Should at least bring enough for each day :P maybe just don't pack /extras/.

• Options

Coming from STL, our plane tickets were about $250/person (round trip) but prices seem to have trended up heavily this year (My current estimate based on pricing trends is about $300). The hyatt was like $180/night. I think our final bill for Friday Night-Sunday night was $780ish but that included parking for a friend's car (which more or less evened out with the fact that we stayed elsewhere, at said friend's house, Thursday night). We could have easily put a 3rd person in the room either on the floor or on the big chair in the corner if we had desired (not really a chase lounger, but bigger than a standard chair).
    Food is definitely a per person thing. My wife and I love to eat, so we spent a lot on dinners (~$100 for the 2 of us give or take a bit) but that included our meals (usually with an appetizer) and our drinks. And that usually was our drinking for the night. Lunch was leftovers and/or chips and cold cut sandwhiches in the hotel with some soda. I forget what breakfast was. Point is, Food scales to budget. If you tried to you might be able to escape for $10-15/day, on sandwhiches and such or you can spend tons more. (This is our main vacation after all best to spluge, we budget for it through the year.)

Keeping in mind that except the plane ticket (which is per person) the numbers I quoted are for a couple to go to PAX, Hotel can be split and I quoted food numbers that were our total bill (because that's what I remember.) Do the math yourself, but if the plane rates hold from the midwest I get pretty much balancing numbers between driving flying from the midwest unless you can 4 or more people (I arrive at a lowball estimate of $220 in gas assuing 38mpg, and $3.80 gas price going about 2100 miles and taking about 30-36 hours of driving, meaning a hotel room stay and food adding about anohter $100, then lather, rinse, repeat on the way back.) 3 Might be able to bring down the price enough, but it'd be close. Other (non-financial) factors may of course go into this calculation for yourself I figured I'd save some people the scratch work.

• Options
    edited April 2012

Word of sagely advice: pack shirts equal to number of nights you go out + number of days you go out. Our noses will all thank you. And t-shirts don't take much room.

MelesMeles on
  • Options

Word of sagely advice: pack shirts equal to number of nights you go out + number of days you go out. Our noses will all thank you. And t-shirts don't take much room.

Corallary to this rule: Bring a bigger bag than you need to get down there (we made that mistake and crushed one of HaloFest megablock sets.) This year we bought new luggage so we'd have 2 bags in the 25-29" range to bring.

• Options
    Bear in mind that there is a "voluntary" donation of $1500 to SmallLady per person for setting up this FAQ. Failure to comply results in stabbed kneecaps.

Sooooooooo........ I haven't seen your cheque yet :P

• Options

You've seen something else of mine which is far more valuable...

• Options

You've seen something else of mine which is far more valuable...

I would disagree on the dollar value you've placed on what I've seen...

Maybe closer to $5.00

• Options
    ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular

Additionally, not too many places just give away shirts anymore. They make you work* for it by standing in line and playing their demo. I think I got 1 shirt last year? So if your wardrobe is based around booths, you'll need at least a couple hours of labor put in to it.

3DS: 3325-2059-2105
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod

Additionally, not too many places just give away shirts anymore. They make you work* for it by standing in line and playing their demo. I think I got 1 shirt last year? So if your wardrobe is based around booths, you'll need at least a couple hours of labor put in to it.

For the record, the number of shirts given out has been on the decline due to rising cotton prices over the past few years. #truefacts

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular

Unfortunately, this is not good advice if you wear any size larger than L. I ended up with more than a few swag shirts I couldn't wear.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

Unfortunately, this is not good advice if you wear any size larger than L. I ended up with more than a few swag shirts I couldn't wear.

Or if you are the size of a kid. None of the shirts I got fit. Mens small =/= Womens small.

adias.angel on
    Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options

Opposite problem for my wife, I've got a few shirts in my drawer that don't really fit either of us (too big for her, to small for me.) They make good sleeping shirts, but not really for wearing at the con.

• Options
    mikegonzalezmikegonzalez Registered User regular
    Thanks for the info, and the welcome. Just what I was looking for. I'm trying to get some friends to come with me, but I'll definitely keep an eye on that room-share thread if I don't manage to convince them.

"I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."

XBL: ii Mike G ii - PSN: Greddy21 - Steam: notmikegonzalez - Slytherin - Death Eater
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, and the welcome. Just what I was looking for. I'm trying to get some friends to come with me, but I'll definitely keep an eye on that room-share thread if I don't manage to convince them.

Ill let you know if I have an extra spot once I book. Not sure if we have 3 or 4 yet.

• Options
    BIGmogBIGmog DenverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I attended PAX prime in 2007 and PAX East this year. A huge experience of the recent trip was all the social activities before the con. Does PAX Prime have equivalents of a Magical Mystery Tour, Pokecrawl, PrePAX dinner, etc.? Most likely I'd be traveling solo to PAX Prime so I'd need a lot of social events to meet new people to hang with.

BIGmog on
  • Options
    BIGmog wrote: »
    I attended PAX prime in 2007 and PAX East this year. A huge experience of the recent trip was all the social activities before the con. Does PAX Prime have equivalents of a Magical Mystery Tour, Pokecrawl, PrePAX dinner, etc.? Most likely I'd be traveling solo to PAX Prime so I'd need a lot of social events to meet new people to hang with.

Yes, yes, yes and YES.

Pokecrawl = Triwizard Drinking Tournament
    PrePAX Dinner = PrePAX Dinner
    MMT = MMT
    Badger = Mushroom
    Also, I strongly recommend the Tabletop Freeplay area around 7-8PM as a great place to meet people :D

• Options
    CrogothCrogoth Registered User regular
    Does anyone one know when people start planning for PAX Train? looking to get everything out of the way asap.

This discussion has been closed.