As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dishonored: You suck too much to do that no-kill run; just shoot them with magic.

AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
edited October 2012 in Social Entropy++
I was going to try to title this thread a shitty joke about all of the games this draws comparison to, but I didn't. After some radio silence, a trailer just dropped for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1HlYTukh9A&has_verified=1
Dishonored casts you as a supernatural assassin driven by revenge. You are the once-trusted bodyguard of the beloved Empress. Framed for her murder, you become an infamous assassin, known only by the disturbing mask that has become your calling card. In a time of uncertainty, when the city is being besieged by plague and ruled by an oppressive government armed with strange technologies, dark forces conspire to bestow upon you abilities beyond those of any common man.

In Dishonored, creatively eliminate your targets with the flexible combat system as you combine the numerous supernatural abilities, weapons and unusual gadgets at your disposal. Pursue your enemies under the cover of darkness or ruthlessly attack them head on with weapons drawn. The outcome of each mission plays out based on the choices you make.

http://www.dishonored.com/

Some Game Informer thing from last year.

So, you're basically a Thief/Assassin/Bioshock/JC Denton/Top Gun in steampunk City 17, and a bunch of notable folks in the games industry were potentially your real dad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zze1wpwVl7c

There's some sort of progressive violence-in-the-world-ometer. Also, apparently everyone is either a solider, a prostitute, or a plague victim.

8iaES.jpg

1K9a2.jpg

wV30B.jpg

QITtx.jpg

Aneurhythmia on

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    This is the interview that got me excited about the game.
    Harvey Smith: Yeah, there’s a lot of playtests. Because sometimes they do break, and sometimes they break in ways that we go fix, and sometimes they break in ways that we go in and make it bulletproof. Like ‘no, we want that weird thing to happen, but we’ll go in and bulletproof it.’ Once you educate the team that this is our vision, this is our philosophy, they all start doing it too.

So one of the team did this thing where they stopped time, quickly took this spring-razor mine, which throws blades and springs and wires and cuts people into places, and stuck it on the back of a rat. Then they possessed the rat, walked it into this group of guards, then ejected and walked away. When time resumes, the rat is sitting there with the thing on its back and the guards are all around it, frozen where they were, and it’s just [makes ninja throwing star noises]. It kills like five guards.

That did not work perfectly the first time we did it – attaching the spring-razor to the rat did something weird to it, possessing the rat meant you might have seen the spring-razor floating out in front because the attach point was somewhere weird… So it gets a bit like ‘do you guys want us to preclude this exploit, or do you want us to support this exploit?’ We’re ‘that was cool. Very few players are going to do it, but support it. Make sure that when you’re inside the rat’s perspective, the spring-razor is in a place that is camera-ready…’ All the technical bullshit that is behind the scenes, right, but we just find that when we’re playtesting we have to either bulletproof it or fix it.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I'm getting a bit of an Assassins Creed rip off from this. I demand game play videos to be proved wrong because this looks cool.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    ...i love that possessing a razor-mined time-stopped rat was that starting point of that story.

• GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    Might be cool

The most exciting thing about that Trailer was the dudes with with long legged mech things, because hot damn do games seem resistant to throw nasty things at you as regular enemies now adays

• EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    I shall reiterate that I want this game

Even if this isn't an RPG as such, do we know if you have to make decisions about your equipment/abilities, or can you just take everything and choose what to do and how to approach it on the fly

Because I think I'd be okay with either plan of attack, come to think of it!

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    If the combat and movement is a nice mix of assassin's creed and mirror's edge this sounds pretty cool

2x39jD4.jpg
    Half life 2 put the hunters in episode 2 that filled the niche for tougher more interesting but not boss enemies

Wish they kept the cleaners in the original game

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Is this going to be a FPS? Because that would be aces.

• LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I thought this thread was going to be about feudal Japan.

iwantanswers3.png
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Gumpy wrote: »
    Half life 2 put the hunters in episode 2 that filled the niche for tougher more interesting but not boss enemies

can you believe it's been five years since Episode Two

• FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    Larlar wrote: »

I thought it was about Klingons

This game looks sweet but I bet I'll get all motion sick / disoriented playing it, Mirrors Edge kinda did that to me

reposig.jpg
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Fandyien wrote: »

Nerds.

Fandyien wrote: »

This game looks sweet but I bet I'll get all motion sick / disoriented playing it, Mirrors Edge kinda did that to me

i would love a remake of KLINGON HONOR GUARD

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Karl - there's elements of AC to a point, but the heritage is more strongly oldschool Looking Glass/Ion Storm immersive sim, with a dash of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic for the combat.

The lead designers are Harvey Smith, who worked on System Shock, and was one of the designers of Deus Ex, and Raf Colantonio, lead designer on DMoMM.
    They've also got Viktor Antonov, who designed City 17 in Half-Life 2.

Rolo wrote: »
    Gumpy wrote: »

can you believe it's been five years since Episode Two

Firman was getting nostalgic about TF2 yesterday

He said it was awesome when the servers were full in 2007

Goddamn

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    This looks pretty cool.

Kwoaru wrote: »
    If the combat and movement is a nice mix of assassin's creed and mirror's edge this sounds pretty cool

AC and Mirror's Edge with an added dash of crazy.
    Like, there’s guys that jump, and at the apex of the supernatural jump because they’ve taken that power and upgraded the power, they Blink and have taken that power and upgraded it, so they make this arc and teleport to a roof. They can travel really far. At first we were like ‘oh my God, the sneaky player who hoards his mana and uses this power could probably go rooftop, rooftop, rooftop and be right near the end of the mission. What do we do about that?’ Then we were ‘well, most people probably aren’t going to figure out how to do that on the first playthrough, and it’s super-cool, it’s super-empowering.’

I love that they're looking at playtesters breaking the game as opportunities to turn those exploits into crazier gameplay.

• LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yukira wrote: »
    This looks pretty cool.

This.

If its going to be a weird franchise ripoff of Assassin's Creed, here's to hoping it goes the route of Saboteur.

LTM on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »

AC and Mirror's Edge with an added dash of crazy.
    Like, there’s guys that jump, and at the apex of the supernatural jump because they’ve taken that power and upgraded the power, they Blink and have taken that power and upgraded it, so they make this arc and teleport to a roof. They can travel really far. At first we were like ‘oh my God, the sneaky player who hoards his mana and uses this power could probably go rooftop, rooftop, rooftop and be right near the end of the mission. What do we do about that?’ Then we were ‘well, most people probably aren’t going to figure out how to do that on the first playthrough, and it’s super-cool, it’s super-empowering.’

I love that they're looking at playtesters breaking the game as opportunities to turn those exploits into crazier gameplay.

I always hoard my points and attempt to do this stuff in games.

I am

The worst gamer

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    I still need to finish saboteur

whole lotta nazis left to kill

ikbUJdU.jpg
    folks keep namedropping Assassin's Creed, but this is more Deus Ex but with weird magic in a pseudosteampunk setting in which whale oil is the primary fuel and rats are a core game mechanic.

Yeah I'm doubting that freerunning will play quite as integral a part as it did in AC or Mirror's Edge

Also, reading those quotes I see that you take/increase powers at certain junctures so that's pretty RPGy I guess

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    Probably the assassination part that is making people think assassin's creed

Also steampunk bluuurrg. I'll probably still check it out, though.

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    A DMoMM style game in a steampunk setting? I'll take it.

Langly wrote: »

Makes me wonder if the "you don't have to kill anyone" claim applies, not just to bosses, but to the specific targets you're supposed to be taking revenge on

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    This looks pretty cool, although the trailer would benefit from better voice acting.

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    this game look like every other game, and yet so different

I am intrigued, Fallout Hitman Creed Life sounds pretty fun

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Edcrab wrote: »

Makes me wonder if the "you don't have to kill anyone" claim applies, not just to bosses, but to the specific targets you're supposed to be taking revenge on

No they said that even the targets can be spared and the story will work with that. You can avoid killing everything.

• KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    I'm getting a bit of an Assassins Creed rip off from this. I demand game play videos to be proved wrong because this looks cool.

This seems more like Thief or Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, to me.

mrsatansig.png
    Whatever

So it's a big stupid Assassin's Creed rip off where you can teleport, summon rats, stop time, possess things and not actually assassinate anyone

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    Whatever

So it's a big stupid Assassin's Creed rip off where you can teleport, summon rats, stop time, possess things and not actually assassinate anyone

what a rip off

Calling it "pseudosteampunk" was lazy/inaccurate of me, but I for the life of me can't figure out how to describe it.

Like steampunk, it's weirdly advanced retro tech in a reimagined England, but it's not steam powered for one, and not fancy gears & goggles for another. It's whale-oil powered electrical weird science + magic.

Unlike steampunk, it also seems to have a lot more of the -punk aspect, being a dirty, nasty setting with a sharp divide between the ruling elite and the commoners.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I am conditioned by experience to doubt this kind of game can live up to it's potential

on the other hand I loved a lot of the hitman games and I'm a sucker for steampunk and dystopia

I guess what I'm saying is I'll probably buy this

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    It's probably more apt to call is dieselpunk I guess?

They've confirmed (I'll try to dig up the quote) that you can beat the whole game without killing anyone, even the assassination in the demo they were showing to press doesn't need to end in a killing.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I loved Dark Messiah, despite its numerous flaws, and this reminds me of it intensely (but possibly without the numerous flaws?).

• LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    I still need to finish saboteur

whole lotta nazis left to kill

For some reason I really loved it.

I finished the main story, and just have all the freeplay Nazi killing to finish.

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Is this going to be a FPS? Because that would be aces.

Yeah it's going to be in the Deus Ex mold, or Thief I guess.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    whaleoilpunk