As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dishonored: You suck too much to do that no-kill run; just shoot them with magic.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    whalepunk

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    It's probably more apt to call is dieselpunk I guess?

I think it's successfully it's own thing, if we're having this much trouble coming up with a label that fits. It's a weird science dystopia.

• MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    Great op. Color me intrigued.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

I think it's successfully it's own thing, if we're having this much trouble coming up with a label that fits. It's a weird science dystopia.

Well dieselpunk is like steampunk but with some sort of fuel instead.

In this case, whale oil.

But I agree with you anyway, the setting is unique enough to be pretty unique!

• EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I loved Dark Messiah, despite its numerous flaws, and this reminds me of it intensely (but possibly without the numerous flaws?).

Yeah I'm basically getting a Dark Messiah in City 17/Columbia vibe

Which is awfully glib but also awesome

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular

A terrible future in which a small elite rules with an army of genetically engineered hot ladies.

ImWcN1I.png?3
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    The Chaos system they've been hinting at sounds like a neat idea as well. From the sound of things it's a way to customize the gameplay to the player's chosen playstyle in a way that feels natural. If I'm understanding correctly, high-Chaos actions like kicking in the front door and murdering everyone between you and your target will result in increased security/more guards on future missions, giving you more to shoot, while consistently low-Chaos actions will provoke a different reaction from the game.

SwissLion wrote: »

A terrible future in which a small elite rules with an army of genetically engineered hot ladies.

preorder confirmed.

• LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    The Chaos system they've been hinting at sounds like a neat idea as well. From the sound of things it's a way to customize the gameplay to the player's chosen playstyle in a way that feels natural. If I'm understanding correctly, high-Chaos actions like kicking in the front door and murdering everyone between you and your target will result in increased security/more guards on future missions, giving you more to shoot, while consistently low-Chaos actions will provoke a different reaction from the game.

This sort of thing needs to happen more. It gives the world mutability, and adds to replay value.

LTM wrote: »

This sort of thing needs to happen more. It gives the world mutability, and adds to replay value.

Lots of games have promised that sort of thing, to differing extents

Sin: Episodes was supposed to have it but the first release had too little enemy variety to showcase it and the follow-ups never happened, so...

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    Yeah, apparently it's even cooler than that. They keep the score hidden to make it more organic, but Chaos affects what story choices are available, AI responses, endgame outcomes, etc.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/07/27/dishonored-interview-modeling-morality-part-1.aspx

Yeah, its definitely something that games want to deliver now, but most times it falls flat before release.

World mutability is probably the "next big thing", especially in MMOs.

Once a game breaks through and delivers on the idea, everyone's going to have to follow suit.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    It's a pretty hard promise to deliver on given that games fundamentally have to be pretty linear. Like, your character can't just decide you know what, fuck this assassination thing I've always had a passion for pastry chef-ing, and go do that instead.

ME3 does a pretty good job of it and it's still pretty easy to find the strings if you spend any time looking for them at all.

Even if it's just flavor though, if it's done well it might be pretty neat.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    I think it helps that they're not talking about massively branching the story so much as changing the details of missions based on a hidden Chaos stat.

Like everything else, there's a millions ways to do it, or even use linear decision trees to make it feel like you're changing the environment without actually giving you that full freedom.

The only limit...is your imagination.

But yeah, the whole "static world model" for creating gaming environments is sorely outdated. We just need a studio to come along who has the drive and the funding to let something get fully baked before release. Even possibly find a way to work mutability into a game dev engine, so its easier for ensuing games to build it in.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    This looks really neat, especially the setting.

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I loved Dark Messiah, despite its numerous flaws, and this reminds me of it intensely (but possibly without the numerous flaws?).

the last map in Dark Messiah, if you went full stealth, was so much fun. You could ghost through the whole thing, and one hit kill every enemy, and never have them ever know you were there. It was amazing.

Langly wrote: »

the last map in Dark Messiah, if you went full stealth, was so much fun. You could ghost through the whole thing, and one hit kill every enemy, and never have them ever know you were there. It was amazing.

What? The undercity place? I remember there being some fights in that. There were definately the liches and the zombies and whatever.

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »

What? The undercity place? I remember there being some fights in that. There were definately the liches and the zombies and whatever.

All I remember of the place was moving through the ruins and never being seen, and killing, like, 30 guard patrols

Oh yeah, there was stuff like that. It was pretty great. I used to play around with console so much as well. There was a way to get stupidly overpowered. And it was still fun. Having the flamethrower not cost any mana made those fucking spider sections so much better. Also, full adreneline on demand.

• FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    Was this the announcement bethesda was talking about yesterday?

sig2.jpg
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I liked any sectiom of Dark Messiah where you could heavily use the environment to kill everyone

Just hanging out with my bow, slicing through support ropes with a well placed shot

I liked any sectiom of Dark Messiah where you could heavily use the environment to kill everyone

Just hanging out with my bow, slicing through support ropes with a well placed shot

It was one of the few games I owned where I'd immediately replay a segment I'd just completed just to play through it slightly differently

I mean there was so much wrong with that game but there was so much right with it too

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Edcrab wrote: »

It was one of the few games I owned where I'd immediately replay a segment I'd just completed just to play through it slightly differently

I mean there was so much wrong with that game but there was so much right with it too

yeah that is pretty much the most astute description

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The fucking demo of that game I played so many fucking times

I had it memorized so perfectly that I kept screwing up that section in the full game because of slight differences

What I still want, to this day, is a Dark Messiah/Zombie Master hybrid

Dark Messiah combat, four-player co-op, versus a human dungeon master triggering traps and spawning enemies and preferably arranging prefabs Neverwinter Nights style to make "unique" maps

If it's an officially licensed Dungeons & Dragons product, so much the better

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    whalepunk

Train oil punk, obvs.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Calling it "pseudosteampunk" was lazy/inaccurate of me, but I for the life of me can't figure out how to describe it.

Like steampunk, it's weirdly advanced retro tech in a reimagined England, but it's not steam powered for one, and not fancy gears & goggles for another. It's whale-oil powered electrical weird science + magic.

Unlike steampunk, it also seems to have a lot more of the -punk aspect, being a dirty, nasty setting with a sharp divide between the ruling elite and the commoners.
    whalepunk

fuck someone beat me to it

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • RinderRinder Registered User regular
    Calling it "pseudosteampunk" was lazy/inaccurate of me, but I for the life of me can't figure out how to describe it.

Like steampunk, it's weirdly advanced retro tech in a reimagined England, but it's not steam powered for one, and not fancy gears & goggles for another. It's whale-oil powered electrical weird science + magic.

Unlike steampunk, it also seems to have a lot more of the -punk aspect, being a dirty, nasty setting with a sharp divide between the ruling elite and the commoners.
    whalepunk

fuck someone beat me to it

aqua-knight.gif

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    A lot of steam/whatever-punk completely miss the punk part. The punk part means things are dirty, class warfare and FUCK YOU MOM AND DAD I DO WHAT I WANT

• DuxDux A host to DarknessRegistered User regular
    This seems to definitely be punk, whatever kind of punk it is doesn't really matter to me.

Colour me intrigued.

A lot of steam/whatever-punk completely miss the punk part. The punk part means things are dirty, class warfare and FUCK YOU MOM AND DAD I DO WHAT I WANT

Which this certainly seems to have.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Yeah, this definitely looks pretty goddamn dirty with class warfare-type stuff going on.

JtgVX0H.png
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I think we're okay to call this anachronistic, even if the "-punk" suffix isn't represented. It has a great deal of what I find really cool about steampunk without the obnoxious tropes.

This game looks damn cool. Hope it lives up to the promises. I like the sound of gameplay reacting to how you play your character.

• GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    I favour Punkpunk

Just a big pile of punks with a couple of punks underneath them

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    ... a mosh pit?

• DuxDux A host to DarknessRegistered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    ... a mosh pit?

Moshpitpunk

everything is moshpits.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Armpitpunk

Just sweat and hair and crevices, as far as the eye can see

JtgVX0H.png
  • alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    Dux wrote: »
    Joolander wrote: »
    ... a mosh pit?

Moshpitpunk

everything is moshpits.

Great titanic vessels drifting through the perpetual midnight, their spectrum of lasers casting about in rapid synchronized movements searching for sight of foes among the foul clouds. During these brief periods of peace the sub-stereollistics are powered down, and the mosh furnace runs at half-capacity. The mosh furnace. That's where you found yourself if you had no title, no talent, no money. Or just a plain lack of luck. Slamming each other against the kinetic absorbers just to stay alive. Because if you didn't party hard, if you didn't party like it was the last night of your life, it was. Damn the metalhead nobility. Damn the 'Tallican ship that keeps us here!

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Gumpy wrote: »
    I favour Punkpunk

Just a big pile of punks with a couple of punks underneath them

so Final Fight

xmassig2.gif