As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Go away, bees!!

An-DAn-D EnthusiastAshevilleRegistered User regular
edited April 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I just moved to a house on a lake. There is a nifty little boathouse and a little wooden ceiling-shelter thing next to it.

And during the day, that thing has like a dozen bees swarming all around it. I've sprayed that 12-month Home Defense stuff all around it. I've tried Wasp poison (unless I drench one of them with it, its completely ineffective). Lighting fires nearby (because why not. Bees hate smoke, right?). I even tried lighting one of those little citronella candles. These things won't go away. And they're kinda aggressive when I try to go down there and swim and stuff. They're bullies.

Bees!
KENARILAKE433.jpg

Here is a picture of me trying to defend my land:
KENARILAKE013.jpg

I've been watching them, and I've found holes in the wood that they go into. I've squirted poison in there at night, and it doesn't really seem to have much of an effect. I got some Gorilla Glue (it expands!) that I'm going to squirt into all the holes tonight. Try to block them in. Would that work?

I know there is some kind of crazy disappearing bee problem, but these bees suck. They're taking the fun out of my summer and it'll make having parties down there super hard. I want them gone. What can I get that will make them want to leave? Some kind of substance that they don't like the smell off? A certain kind of spray that'll knock'em right out? Should I cover myself with honey, flail about down there, take the stings and when they've all died and I'm in great pain, call it a victory?

An-D on

• LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    See if you can find a local beekeeper, usually they will be happy to help in cases like this. Maybe they can even move the bees.

I advice not to poison them, as feral bees are really dying out and that is just a sucky thing to do. I definitely wouldn't mess with their nests.
    Not sure if they are protected under US law, in most European countries they are and I really advice against poisoning endangered species just for your convenience.
    How agressive are we talking here? Have they stung you more than once?

EDIT: Obligatory:

no-not-the-bees-17790-1330404539-12.jpg

Also I don't mean to be harsh, I know it sucks having them stingy buggers around and I am absolutely phobic when it comes to wasps, but I just think it's best if you can find a local guy who knows about bees.

Librarian on
  • An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    I'm worried that they're actually in the frame/wood of that structure next to the boathouse, and a beekeeper probably couldn't get to them without tearing it all down.

I haven't been stung yet, mostly because I run through that structure really fast like a little girl whenever I have to go to the boathouse. Or I just jump in the lake. But if I'm nearby, they do that 'buzzing really really close to you' thing, over and over and over. Not really divebombing but close. Makes me super nervous. I have friends that are allergic - another reason I want them gone.

I don't necessarily have to kill them. Ideally, I could put out a bucket of like...vinegar or gasoline or something bugs may not like, and just have sit there on that table for a few days until the bees decide they've had enough of it. Is there a substance like that that anyone can think of?

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    those actually look like carpenter bees

camo_sig.png
  • McVikingMcViking Registered User regular
    Those are wood bees (also known as carpenter bees), not honey bees. A beekeeper won't have any interest in them. Don't waste their time.

Fortunately, wood bees aren't usually aggressive. They will leave unsightly holes in your boathouse, but that's all that's likely to happen. But if you want them gone, you've got the right idea -- insecticide in the holes at night, then caulk or plug the holes. Search teh webz for the most effective insecticides to use on wood bees.

• An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    My friend (lives on a farm. Deals with this stuff all the time) just told me that with carpenter bees, what her family normally does is get a tennis racket and use it like an over-sized flyswatter. Thoughts?

When they're not as active tonight, I'll spray 'em down and plug up the holes.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    An-D wrote: »
    My friend (lives on a farm. Deals with this stuff all the time) just told me that with carpenter bees, what her family normally does is get a tennis racket and use it like an over-sized flyswatter. Thoughts?

This is what you're looking for if that's your plan.

http://www.amazon.com/Charcoal-Companion-Amazing-Bug-Zapper/dp/B00008GS96

Esh on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Haha that thing is great. Quite literally us country folk use badminton and tennis rackets to beat the shit out of bees though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Haha that thing is great. Quite literally us country folk use badminton and tennis rackets to beat the shit out of bees though.

They're pretty amazing. They work like a charm.

• cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Leave 'em be unless you're really worried about any damage they may do to your boathouse, which would be cosmetic at the worst. They're not aggressive and unless you go after 'em first, you won't have any trouble with them.

If their mere presence is enough to worry you, do what that link posted above says. However, you'll most likely have a recurring problem unless you fully treat the boathouse by replacing the wood or making it inhospitable for future nests.

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular

Your friend isn't crazy. Around here we use whiffle ball bats, but I think that's just for the extra challenge.

If you find you are able to access their burrows fairly easily, some WD40 is also pretty disagreeable to their systems.

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Esh wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

They're pretty amazing. They work like a charm.

Just a friendly note though, don't let your drunken friend get ahold of one and then shock the crap out of everyone at a party.

camo_sig2.png
  • RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular

Smacking carpenter bees with a tennis or badminton racket is one of the simple pleasures of life.

It's all like, SWISH *THUNK* BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz. And then you chalk up another mark and think of all the money you're saving by not having to replace the eaves on your house this year.

• CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    You haven't been stung yet because carpenter bees almost never sting--the adventurous ones who buzz around you are probably males (who can't sting--they do not have stingers) and the females are really docile. They can't really damage structures, either, as they don't form large colonies or dig deeply into the wood (unlike termites).

Basically, you are free to take the lazy way out and ignore them.

• curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    we've got them all around our deck structures

they're harmless so what i basically do is yell at them

alternately plugging their holes with aluminum foil tends to work

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • AF-IXAF-IX (LGKAOS) Whiteman AFBRegistered User regular
    They sell a special spray-sealant foam in a can, that you spray at the entrance of the nest & the foam quickly expands & hardens...locking them in.

Do it early at dusk. Bees usually are inactive during hours of darkness & will huddle together in the nest for warmth. For added depravity, set sealed-nest on fire.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    AF-IX wrote: »
    For added hilarity, set sealed-nest on fire, realize you just ignited your house too.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I use this more for the wasps around here, but I catch a lotta bees in them too, hang a couple of these around the outskirts of your yard

Wasp Trap How-To

easy to make, I also recommend pouring in some pop or any sugar drink in the bottom.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Bees you say? I believe the goons have a sure fire way to get rid of bees.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2243176

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    What you're doing in that second picture is a great way to get poison in your eyes. And your lungs. And all over your clothes. I'd refrain from using it like that in the future.

Edit: I'm trying hard to remember what my parents did for carpenter bees. They have wooden window frames in the large windows on the front of the houses, and the carpenter bees started boring into them. I think my dad was plugging up the holes, but I don't remember what he used. I'll fire off an e-mail and see what he says.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »

That's too bad they killed them all off since they were actually honey bees.

Still...the little pyro boy in me shed a single tear of admiration.

camo_sig2.png
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

And that's why we are running out of wild bees.

Thanks morons! :^:

Seriously though, your bees aren't aggressive so there really isn't any reason to kill them, unless you just enjoy killing things...

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

Whilst a couple of dumb rednecks having a moronic torchfest may have not exactly helped the problem, it's hardly the main reason for colony collapse disorder. Not unless they're really dedicated to their pretty vile activity.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

Whilst a couple of dumb rednecks having a moronic torchfest may have not exactly helped the problem, it's hardly the main reason for colony collapse disorder. Not unless they're really dedicated to their pretty vile activity.

Granted it isn't the main reason, but how many times a year does something like this happen and isn't documented?

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • AF-IXAF-IX (LGKAOS) Whiteman AFBRegistered User regular
    Destroy the little fuckers.

This is your property, it's your sanctuary, and you should let it be known.

It's all fun & games until the hive decides to expand further into your home. Before you know it, you'll find your family cocooned to the walls w/honey, small little bee-eggs in front of them, waiting to lay a little bee-facehugger onto their mouth!
    Is anyone else excited about Prometheus coming soon?! Fuck yea!