As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

a

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Found a good deal on Apple's in-ear headphones. I've been wanting them for a few years now and I figured that I'd never find a decent deal on them, but here we are.

LGeR0.jpg?1

They're replacing my old Apple in-ear headphones that I bought back in 2005, which are are literally falling apart after years of use.

55-998-539-04.jpg

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I find it hard to believe those were once worth $70.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Sarksus wrote: »

Believe it or not, they're actually shockingly decent dual-driver earphones. They're a lot like a budget version of these, as far as sound signature and quality goes: http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Ears-Noise-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B001NTFAOS

They make a fantastic set of cheap phones to cannibalize into custom-molded IEMs, which I've done with one set, actually.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm talking about the new design. Not the old ones. Those were terribad. The new ones, especially on sale, are an underrated steal.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Sarksus wrote: »

Believe it or not, they're actually shockingly decent dual-driver earphones. They're a lot like a budget version of these, as far as sound signature and quality goes: http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Ears-Noise-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B001NTFAOS

They make a fantastic set of cheap phones to cannibalize into custom-molded IEMs, which I've done with one set, actually.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm talking about the new design. Not the old ones. Those were terribad. The new ones, especially on sale, are an underrated steal.

I can attest to this as well. Even at the Apple markup, they're a really nice set for even the normal price. At $39.99? Oh, yeah.

Esh on
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    Can anyone recommend a good music streaming app for the iPad, in the uk? Both MOG and Pandora don't appear to have uk apps, and spotify/last.fm annoyingly only have iPhone apps.

• Options
    101 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good music streaming app for the iPad, in the uk? Both MOG and Pandora don't appear to have uk apps, and spotify/last.fm annoyingly only have iPhone apps.

I use Rdio. The UI looks good on the iPad. They recently announced they were coming to the UK in the near future but didn't give a specific date. It's something to watch for at least.

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    Cheers, i'll keep an eye out for it.

• Options
    Another vote for Rdio when it hits the UK. The UI is great, and the music selection was surprisingly good, for my tastes.

• Options
    floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    On iTunes Match:

I've had it enabled on my iPhone since it became available in Canada. I really love it, honestly. Whenever I use it, I have this "holy crap, I'm living in the future!" sensation. There's an option in settings to "show your entire library" or something to that effect. So, when you go into the Music app, it'll show you a list of absolutely everything. Anything that isn't on the phone will have a cloud icon next to it. To download any of that stuff, it's just a matter tapping on that cloud icon, or scrolling to the bottom of a particular album and selecting "download all". It's been completely reliable for me. Adding new content, be it from a ripped CD or purchased from the iTunes Store has required literally zero effort on my part. I'll generally buy it/rip it onto my computer, and by the time I want to listen to it on my phone, it's there. Whenever I've felt like listening to something not on the phone, it just progressively downloaded the songs as they played. I can see it being a bit less seamless if you're relying entirely on wifi connectivity, though.

I had some problems earlier on with album artwork not syncing. But, iOS 5.1 and whatever version of iTunes coincided with it solved that for me completely.

As for playlists, I just gave it a whirl to see how they sync. It seems the "list" itself will sync almost immediately, but the songs within it won't automatically download. So, when I open the playlist on my phone, I still need to download the tracks, be it individually, or by scrolling to the bottom and selecting "download all'.

• Options
    I agree 100% that iTunes Match is one of my favorite things ever. It's just so beautifully seamless between my Mac, PC, iPad, and iPhone. It's amazing, really. I'd worked out shitty hacks to try to accomplish the same thing for years, and for $25 a year, this does everything I could ever manage with by building my own music servers, and does it better.

My only annoyance is that when I cross the 2GB mark with AT&T on my iPhone, I get throttled so badly that I can't even attempt to stream any music from the cloud, but that's an AT&T issue. Prior to that cap, it's great, and on wifi, it's a thing of beauty.

• Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    There is a piece of dust under the glass on my iPad. I just noticed it today. I have no clue how it got there or how long it has been there. There's a kind of reflection when you look at it on a tilt, which is part of why I know it's under the glass as opposed to being on top, and I think? That is what tells me it is dust and not a dead pixel. It's making me a little crazy. It is sort of near the center in the lower right quadrant of the screen.

How do you get dust under the glass?? Is it something else?

v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    My 3gs has had a dust particle under the home button since the first week after getting it. It's now got some more dust under the screen. I'm sure it's migrated it's way from the dock connector or something. It happens.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

You can use the iPhone app on iPad, just do the 2x zoom thing. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing. It's what I do with Twitch/Justin.tv apps, as they are iPhone apps without iPad equivalents (yet, they are working on them I hear).

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

You can use the iPhone app on iPad, just do the 2x zoom thing. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing. It's what I do with Twitch/Justin.tv apps, as they are iPhone apps without iPad equivalents (yet, they are working on them I hear).

Twitch.tv got the iPad app up last week or so.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Twitch.tv got the iPad app up last week or so.

Ohhh, guess it's time to update.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Found a good deal on Apple's in-ear headphones. I've been wanting them for a few years now and I figured that I'd never find a decent deal on them, but here we are.

LGeR0.jpg?1

They're replacing my old Apple in-ear headphones that I bought back in 2005, which are are literally falling apart after years of use.

55-998-539-04.jpg

I appear to have missed this. Any other comments on these?

I have awful luck with earbuds/in-ears. I bought a pair of Sennheisers in November of last year, and they've already crapped out on the right channel. I'd quite appreciate a pair that are actually durable. A year of use would be amazing, as pathetic as that sounds. Do these Apple in-ears actually last? I have noticed that all the Apple earbuds that came with my various iPods/phones have been surprisingly durable, but the bud design just doesn't work for me. I'm not too concerned about sound quality, as long as they're reasonably balanced. Super-mega-hyper bass isn't something I want. If I want to listen to music through good headphones, I'll use my nice Audio Technicas at home.

I'll happily pay the full 80 bucks or whatever it is, if I can actually count on them to last a while.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I've resigned myself to buying the $25-30 Sonys with the in-line mic/remote and just replacing them every year or so.

@floobie when I had Sennheisers, all their products had an automatic 2-year replacement warranty, which I took advantage of when mine crapped out. I don't know if they still have that going, but if you have an email receipt or something then it might be looking into.

• Options
    I have a pear of Skull Candy Titan dual drivers that are decent. Great sound (for ear buds), came with a nice little carrying case, have lasted me at least three months longer than the cheepo JVC Marshmellows I had been replacing every three months.

You just have to get over the hipster urge to not want to buy anything Skull Candy.

• Options
    That's a hard urge to get over =]

But really, Skullcandy makes some decent stuff. Nothing of theirs has ever really impressed me too much, but what I've heard has been a solid step up from the average sub$30 crap from JVC and Philips and the like. My wife loves her Aviators, and I have to admit they're pretty comfy for on-ear 'phones. I'd put Skullcandy earbuds on par with decent cheap Sony earbuds, and those Senn/Adidas sport earbuds.

Also, Best Buy currently has Etymotics on clearance. I grabbed an extra pair of HF5s for $60, which is an absolute steal. They're easily worth the $120 retail price, and at 50% off, there's no better pair of earphones on the market.

• Options
    I bought a pair of Denon somethingwhatsit in ear headphones and they sound good and still work.

• Options
    I really need to keep my receipts for these things. I wouldn't mind it if Sennheiser sent me a new pair...

Do Skullcandy actually design their own headphones? As I understood it, they were effectively a re-branding company. You know, a company that goes to trade shows in China, finds a random manufacturer that will stick the Skullcandy logo on their headphones, and resells them. If my impression is incorrect, I'd be more inclined to revisit them. I've had a few pairs of their in-ears over the years, but they were generally as durable as most other in-ears I've tried, and the sound was alright at best.

Unfortunatly, Best Buy Canada doesn't seem to have the Etymotics you speak of.

Another beef I've noticed: Many of these in-ear headphones have very microphonic cables. I'd think that getting the material right could minimize that substantially...

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Picked up Tweetbot because I kept hearing it's the best twitter client. Meh. I should have taken the time to figure out how to make lists in the official twitter app. Neither app seems to be doing a great job with handling lists anyway. I love the official client's browser functionality much more than Tweetbot's. The only ways I could see Tweetbot being useful would be for iPad/iPhone syncing (which requires separate apps as Tweetbot isn't universal) and managing multiple accounts, but if you just have one account stick with the official client. What a waste of $3. At least it was $3 from a gift card.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I love Tweetbot, especially because of its mobilizer(Instapaper/Readability) support so I can click links and read articles in a simplified format.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Official client has the same feature, but seems to be limited only to Instapaper.

Upon further experimentation, list management seems to be rather nonexistent in the official client. If Tweetbot could adopt the official clients browser functionality I'd never look back.

EDIT: Nevermind, realized you're not referring to the "read later" functionality of said services. It's nice having the option of full and simplified views, but on the iPad I always opt for the full experience when possible. I wish more apps gave you the choice as opposed to shoehorning you into simplified (Flipboard) or full (official twitter), or at least opted for full on the iPad.

EDIT 2: Wrong again. Read It Later (now Pocket) is also supported.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    floobie wrote: »
    I really need to keep my receipts for these things. I wouldn't mind it if Sennheiser sent me a new pair...

Do Skullcandy actually design their own headphones? As I understood it, they were effectively a re-branding company. You know, a company that goes to trade shows in China, finds a random manufacturer that will stick the Skullcandy logo on their headphones, and resells them. If my impression is incorrect, I'd be more inclined to revisit them. I've had a few pairs of their in-ears over the years, but they were generally as durable as most other in-ears I've tried, and the sound was alright at best.

Another beef I've noticed: Many of these in-ear headphones have very microphonic cables. I'd think that getting the material right could minimize that substantially...

That's exactly what Skullcandy does, actually. Of course, these Chinese OEMs do an OK job of making headphones, but like I said, nothing overly impressive.

That's too bad about BBCanada. I also love Ultimate Ears for sub-$100 headphones. Even after being bought by Logitech, they make fantastic earphones. I think the 350s are roughly $50, and they sound great. Far better than Skullcandy.

• Options
    Bullio wrote: »
    Official client has the same feature, but seems to be limited only to Instapaper.

Upon further experimentation, list management seems to be rather nonexistent in the official client. If Tweetbot could adopt the official clients browser functionality I'd never look back.

What is the browser functionality that you mean, specifically? Is there a certain feature in the built-in browser that you're missing in Tweetbot?

• Options
    edited April 2012

What is the browser functionality that you mean, specifically? Is there a certain feature in the built-in browser that you're missing in Tweetbot?

Official client opens a resizable half page within the app while still displaying your feed, and allows for swiping between "pages" (for lack of a better term). It's fast, slick, really attractive, and more usable than Tweetbot's full display pop-up browser as you can still read your feed while waiting for a page to load. If Tweetbot is capable of this then I haven't found the setting to enable it.

ipad-apps-8.jpg

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    floobie wrote: »

That's exactly what Skullcandy does, actually. Of course, these Chinese OEMs do an OK job of making headphones, but like I said, nothing overly impressive.

That's too bad about BBCanada. I also love Ultimate Ears for sub-$100 headphones. Even after being bought by Logitech, they make fantastic earphones. I think the 350s are roughly $50, and they sound great. Far better than Skullcandy.

Yeah, they aren't stellar, just good at the price point. Certainly better than a shit pair of JVC's are Phillips and not that much more expensive. I think they fill a decent niche between tinny horrible crap and really expensive setups. I just refuse to pay a ton for ear buds, because I am not careful with them. I will destroy them somehow, or my kid will, or I'll lose them.

• Options
    When I'm reading articles I like everything but the text and images of the article to be stripped out. It's less distracting. I usually have my RSS reader, which I use for keeping up to date on all of my websites, to provide me with that view as well.

Flipboard also locks you into the full page, by the way. It's only the RSS feed that is simplified. I stopped using it in favor of Mr Reader which is more flexible.

• Options

Official client opens a resizable half page within the app while still displaying your feed, and allows for swiping between "pages" (for lack of a better term). It's fast, slick, really attractive, and more usable than Tweetbot's full display pop-up browser as you can still read your feed while waiting for a page to load. If Tweetbot is capable of this then I haven't found the setting to enable it.

Ah, gotcha. I didn't realize that we were talking about the iPad clients. I thought you meant the iPhone version, where Twitter and Tweetbot are all but identical in their browser functionality. But yeah, Tweetbot doesn't do this on the iPad. It is kind of a nice feature. A little cluttered for my taste, but super handy when you want to multi-task.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I made my original lists on the Twitter website, and then curate them when I need to in Tweetbot. Trying to create a new list and add large numbers of people to it in Tweetbot would take forever, and I originally tried doing it that way but gave up after about 10 minutes.

I've been fairly happy with Readability but a revised/reimagined/redesigned version of Read it Later, now called Pocket, came out today and it's pretty slick. Pocket actually displays videos within articles which is something Readability does not do, and the layout on the iPad of articles is visually much nicer. However I miss the gesture control of Readability, and how quickly the navigation and options buttons hide away once I'm reading an article. For now, I think I'll stick with Readability on my iPhone but Pocket may have won me over on my iPad.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    BathTubbBathTubb Registered User regular
    What is a good cookbook app for the Ipad?

Steam-BathTubb Xbox Live - Bathtubb
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Tweetbot for iPad/iPhone does sync your timeline And settings between the two devices, using either Tweetmarker or iCloud. iCloud sync syncs all of your account's settings as well as your place in your timeline.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Can anyone recommend a Remote Desktop app for the new iPad? I would like RDP and VNC support as well as support for the retina display. Any suggestions?

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    So Twitch released an iPad native version of their app, which is awesome...except it crashes every time you try and do a Search, and Dota 2 is still not listed in the games list (despite being listed on the website), blarrgggg. Dota 2 is most of what I watch these days.

Thankfully my favorite casters are in my Followed list, but still.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a Remote Desktop app for the new iPad? I would like RDP and VNC support as well as support for the retina display. Any suggestions?

I use Splashtop personally, and it works really well for me for remote connections to my iMac at home. Can't speak much for how it works with Windows or how it compares to other similar apps, but so far I haven't found any reason to switch. I can't remember if it supports the Retina Display or not yet, I'll have to check on that one.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Splashtop is amazing, extremely quick with little lag, but it uses it's own protocol that requires you to install a piece of software on your computer. It doesn't use RDP/VNC. It hasn't been updated for the new iPad yet either.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    There's Team Viewer too.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I've been using LogMeIn.

Anyone used both that and Splashtop? I'm curious if it'd be worth switching

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    For anyone who's been waiting, BOOKbacks for the iPad 2/3 are back in stock at dodocase.com

http://www.dodocase.com/products/bookback-for-ipad2

It goes great in combination with a smart cover.