As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MMA 18: [MMA]rrested Development: UFC Supports Drunk Driving and Domestic Violence

• Options
    krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    I went to a Caio Terra seminar this weekend and I have to say, if you ever have a chance to go to one of his seminars or meet him, it is amazing. It was crazy to see him and his 130lb body just dominating everyone, including several guys that were literally twice his size. He talked a lot about going back to the roots of jiu-jitsu as an art that stresses technique rather than relying on strength. Meeting him in real-life, he is the most unassuming guy ever, it's hard to believe he's a 4x nogi mundial champion. Although I'm not a really a small guy, hearing his story and watching him in action was really inspirational.

Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    I really hope I can make more seminars this year. I had a Jeff Curran seminar a bit ago and I have a seminar with Rick Faye coming up next month ((who's AMAZING and a really funny guy, HIGHLY recommend going if you get the chance to attend a seminar with him, muay thai, JKD, knife fighting, submission wrestling, the guy is amazing)) but I'd love to go to some more and meet someone like Caio Terra. Having someone of that caliber come in and teach in a seminar format can teach you so much and it's always a blast seeing legends in action and how they do things.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    I know how you feel.

I really want to meet Jay Z this year.

• Options
    Yeah we've had Pedro Sauer, Erik Paulson, Chael, Clay Guida and some others in the area but no Jay-Z yet. I'm pretty upset that the big pimpin seminar hasn't been announced.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

• Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    I really hope I can make more seminars this year. I had a Jeff Curran seminar a bit ago and I have a seminar with Rick Faye coming up next month ((who's AMAZING and a really funny guy, HIGHLY recommend going if you get the chance to attend a seminar with him, muay thai, JKD, knife fighting, submission wrestling, the guy is amazing)) but I'd love to go to some more and meet someone like Caio Terra. Having someone of that caliber come in and teach in a seminar format can teach you so much and it's always a blast seeing legends in action and how they do things.

Rick is a boss, did a couple of seminars with him when I used to train with Steve Powell (2001 ish, him and Rick were really close), even went out with him after in Chinatown. He did a ton of Kali, mostly dirty boxing and some stick work, the joke was that only a few of us actually trained the weapons so he had a room full of guys looking at the sticks like they were alien and then about 4 of us in the corner blitzing through drills and free-sparring, he spent most of the time with us in the end.

He tells some great storys as well, he carried a walking stick with him when he came to the UK as it was the only weapon he could carry legally here (I think he open carries a gun and knives back home so would feel naked without anything), a walking stick in his hands though would fuck up pretty much anyone.

• Options
    Very cool, good to hear someone else has gotten to meet him, the guy is a riot, his whole attitude towards teaching is just fun. I'm hoping to get him to come out for a beer after this seminar, he's doing some muay thai work with us then some weapons, and since almost no one at my school trains weapons I'm sure it'll be the same thing you guys had with it. Can't wait though.

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I miss weapons.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    B:L wrote: »

dana's response is perfect dana-
    @thefightweek @benaskren when ambien can't sleep it takes Ben Askren. The most boring fighter in MMA history. I would rather watch flys f**k

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    That's true but kind of beside the point haha

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    mojojoeo wrote: »

@thefightweek @benaskren when ambien can't sleep it takes Ben Askren. The most boring fighter in MMA history. I would rather watch flys f**k

That would be good, except Dana White employs Jon Fitch.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

Hey, Fitch got KO'd quite entertainingly last time!

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    if he didn't want to be so boring he would take steroids

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    Yeah we've had Pedro Sauer, Erik Paulson, Chael, Clay Guida and some others in the area but no Jay-Z yet. I'm pretty upset that the big pimpin seminar hasn't been announced.

Maybe you could bait him with some cheese?

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited April 2012
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    Holy shit that is fantastic

• Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    So, I hate myself right now. Chael was great as a commentator/interviewer/thing this past weekend. I'd much rather see him do that all the time.

XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    I think all this stuff about Trigg fighting his ex wife is total bullshit.

If it really happened she would have won via RNC.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular

Valid counter is valid. When your boring "vegan athlete" youtube videos are more interesting than your in ring content.... theres an issue.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Billy ChenowithBilly Chenowith Registered User regular
    I don't think this has been mentioned yet?
    In the grand tradition of taking your own mother to the prom, Jon Jones has secured a sweetheart sponsorship deal with... the UFC:

http://www.mmaweekly.com/jon-jones-explains-ufc-sponsorship-ahead-of-showdown-with-rashad-evans

• Options
    It really must be infuriating to have a champion like Jon Jones, who's so obviously talented, chances are he's going to be champion for quite a while... And nobody likes him.

UFC's tried so hard to market him, and still nothing's working

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    When they had the video of him with his brother, with his kids, just being a normal guy he was alright but when he's on the spot he just comes off fake as all hell.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    didn't anderson sign with nike? was that before or after his okami fight

i wanna see him with a big ass nike check on his shorts

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    It really must be infuriating to have a champion like Jon Jones, who's so obviously talented, chances are he's going to be champion for quite a while... And nobody likes him.

He's missing the "it" factor when it comes to personality.

While he's a machine of dominance in the ring, outside of it he is a stunted, shallow interview.

He doesn't have the eloquence or verbal flash of Ali, he lacks the identifiable everyman quality of Joe Frazier or George Foreman, or the straight charisma of a Tyson or Mayweather.

What he has is an overwhelming confidence that just come across as pure egotism/narcissism and he refuses to fall into a role that would allow him to hype fights.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    swag
    swag
    swag

Organichu on
  • Options
    Organichu wrote: »

Ochu

What's with The Bieb

• Options
    Organ nooooo

• Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

He's missing the "it" factor when it comes to personality.

While he's a machine of dominance in the ring, outside of it he is a stunted, shallow interview.

He doesn't have the eloquence or verbal flash of Ali, he lacks the identifiable everyman quality of Joe Frazier or George Foreman, or the straight charisma of a Tyson or Mayweather.

What he has is an overwhelming confidence that just come across as pure egotism/narcissism and he refuses to fall into a role that would allow him to hype fights.

Perfect summary, as hated as Mayweather is he has charisma, Jones does not, he just seems like a conceited prick. Dana and Greg Jackson feeding him non stop love won't help that.

• Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    In the grand tradition of taking your own mother to the prom, Jon Jones has secured a sweetheart sponsorship deal with... the UFC:

http://www.mmaweekly.com/jon-jones-explains-ufc-sponsorship-ahead-of-showdown-with-rashad-evans

So the UFC itself has a vested financial interest in Bones' success.

Hello, conspiracy theories!

• Options
    BubbaT wrote: »

So the UFC itself has a vested financial interest in Bones' success.

Hello, conspiracy theories!

Hi, BubbaT.

This is some conflict of interest right there. What's the point of sponsoring one of your own fighters at one of your own events? More UFC logos on his shorts?

• Options
    Eddie Alvarez is a 2-1 favorite against Shinya Aoki this weekend?

I guess Vegas really buys into the "East traveling West" theory.

It's possible that they expect something similar to Melendez/Aoki. Plus Aoki hasn't been looking as sharp lately.

• Options

• Options
    i kind of 'know' alvarez, no big deal

• Options
    i kind of 'know' alvarez, no big deal

Do you know how bad Aoki is going to tear off his leg

• Options

It's possible that they expect something similar to Melendez/Aoki. Plus Aoki hasn't been looking as sharp lately.

I guess. I don't know if I've seen that level of smarts from Alvarez though, and certainly not in his decision to take Aoki to the ground in the 1st fight.

In terms of not looking sharp recently, Alvarez is the one coming off a loss (granted, in a FOTY-caliber fight).

I dunno, I can see favoring Alvarez, but 2-1 seems like a lot. Alvarez at say, -130, makes more sense. That's still a 4-3 favorite.

• Options

I guess. I don't know if I've seen that level of smarts from Alvarez though, and certainly not in his decision to take Aoki to the ground in the 1st fight.

In terms of not looking sharp recently, Alvarez is the one coming off a loss (granted, in a FOTY-caliber fight).

I dunno, I can see favoring Alvarez, but 2-1 seems like a lot. Alvarez at say, -130, makes more sense. That's still a 4-3 favorite.

Your point is understandable, Alvarez lost to Aoki before so if he's the favorite, it shouldn't be by much. I'd say he shouldn't be the favorite at all, and having him at 2-to-1 is like Florian being the favorite against Maynard.

Still the quality of Aoki's latest opponents have been... lacking, with THREE of them losing to neck cranks.

• Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular

Akyiama is sponsored by Nike as well.

We don't see the logos in the UFC because (I think) the UFC has a policy of basically requiring payoffs to show ads. So they need to approve any apparel that is shown in their events, and the sponsors have to pay the UFC a cut in order to get shown. I think Tito got in trouble for wearing an Affliction shirt at one point, because that is not an approved brand.

Even as I type this I don't really believe it, but I know I've heard stuff relating to this before. I find it hard to imagine Nike of all companies being prevented from being in the UFC.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    nike-akiyama-thumb.jpg

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    [Tycho?] wrote: »

Akyiama is sponsored by Nike as well.

We don't see the logos in the UFC because (I think) the UFC has a policy of basically requiring payoffs to show ads. So they need to approve any apparel that is shown in their events, and the sponsors have to pay the UFC a cut in order to get shown. I think Tito got in trouble for wearing an Affliction shirt at one point, because that is not an approved brand.

Even as I type this I don't really believe it, but I know I've heard stuff relating to this before. I find it hard to imagine Nike of all companies being prevented from being in the UFC.

At the very least, sponsors require UFC approval to appear on fight gear. It would be easy to imagine the UFC wanting money from the sponsors and further controlling the monetary intake of their fighters.

See: Dana White's previous ban on Clinch Gear after the Dan Henderson situation.

This discussion has been closed.