As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

the BEER thread

ALockslyALocksly Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
ALE, That’s the stuff to drink, for fellows whom it hurts to think.
-A.E. Housman

Refreshing on a hot afternoon, relaxing after a hard day, all around delicious and intoxicating, brewed since the dawn of history,

quaffed by Vikings, sipped by scholars, tossed back seven jars at a sitting by Enkidu,

Hailed as a hallmark of the civilized man since ancient times, along with the baking of bread and the wearing of clothes, it is the ubiquitous human beverage,
BEER!

Now, introductions aside, what brews do you fine folks favor? Don’t be shy, even Pabst has it’s place. I was extremely fortunate during my college days to find myself in possession of all the makings for a 15 gallon capacity kegerator while at the same time being but a few blocks from a marvelous microbrewery. For several glorious years at the end of the day I could grab a pounder off the rack and tilt the tap set in the front of a full sized fridge to draw a healthy pint which I could then enjoy on the back deck. Life was good. We of the house would vote for what the next keg would be filled with and it usually came out to be either the blonde ale or the scotch ale. The Boundary Bay Scotch remains one of my all time favorite brews. If I'm just nosing through the beer aisle I'll probaly grab a case of Henry's though occasionally I'll find I'm in the mood for a Rolling Rock (33) or a Red Stripe (Hooray beer!)

and just for fun lets also show off funny beer pics of funny beer.

(this one will rape your H-scroll but I can't fix it on my work computer)
GenesisAle.jpg
polygamy-porter.jpg

pertinent post from The Epic of Gilgamesh
"Eat the food, Enkidu,
The symbol of life.
Drink the beer, destiny of the land."

Enkidu ate the bread
Until he had had enough.
He drank the beer,
Seven whole jars,
Relaxed, felt joyful.
His heart rejoiced,
His face beamed,
He smeared himself with ...
His body was hairy.
He anointed himself with oil
And became like any man,
Put on clothes.
He was like a warrior,
Took his weapon,
Fought with lions.
The shepherds could rest at night;
He beat off wolves,
Drove off lions.
The older herdsmen lay down;
Enkidu was their guard,
A man wake.

I wonder if that could be considered the first beeer commercial; "Drink beer! you'll fight off wolves and lions!"

Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
ALocksly on

• ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    hobgoblin.jpg

love this stuff

Shogun on
  • Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It's sure to be mentioned but I'll do it first

fattiretin.jpg

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    kilkenny.jpg
    Tsingtao%20Beer.jpg
    909.jpg
    Kingfisher%20Beer%20Shot.gif

Sam on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My personal favorite La Chouffe. A light spicy Belgian beer thats very high in alcohol but phenoena tasting

plus it has gnomes on it!

Chouffe.jpg

nexuscrawler on
  • TSRTSR Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    2125.jpg
    2138.jpg
    And only available during the winter holidays,
    beerJubelale2006.JPG

I am a big, big fan of the Deschutes Brewery in Bend, Oregon. They make very good beers.

TSR on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This is a perfect time for this thread I turn 21 on the 10th. Keep this bad boy going so I know what to buy when it rolls around.

Shogun on
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Being from Oregon, I like a lot of the local microbrews.

McMenamins Hammerhead
    A classic Northwest pale ale and McMenamins top selling beer. This rich chestnut colored gem is a model of harmony between hops and malted barley. Hammerhead's signature Cascade hop nose and intense hopped flavor blend nicely with the caramel tones from the crystal malt. This beer has a vocal following. To run out is an unforgivable sin.

Widmer and Henry Weinhard's Hefeweizen
    hef_top.jpg
    Our Flagship - America's Original Hefeweizen
    A golden unfiltered wheat beer that is truly cloudy and clearly superb. Ever since Widmer introduced Hefeweizen to America in 1986, ours has been the standard by which all other Hefeweizens are judged.

Rogue: Tracktown IPA and Honey Orange Wheat, and a few others
    Honey Orange Wheat: Honey Orange Wheat is an unfiltered wheat beer and has flavors of honey and orange balanced with a nice medium-sweet malt character. It is medium bodied with no harsh bitterness and a nice honey-orange finish. It is made from Northwest Two-Row and Wheat Malts; Willamette Hops; #48 Oregon Wildflower Honey, Orange Juice, and Free Range Coastal Waters. It is currently available on draft.

Tracktown IPA
    Offering a hop-heads paradise, this unfiltered Northwest-Style India Pale Ale introduces a big floral hop character to the aroma, flavor and finish. Hops, Hops, Hops from front to back but nicely offset with a malty richness that prevents this ale from being overbearing. Tracktown is made from 100% Floor Malted Maris Otter, 100% Northwest Amarillo Hops, Free Range Coastal Water, and absolutely No Chemicals, Additives, or Preservatives.

Deschutes (Black Butte Porter especially)
    Black Butte Porter, crafted from chocolate and crystal malts, is Deschutes Brewery’s flagship brand. With a rich and distinctive flavor, this porter has enjoyed a loyal and passionate following since its first pint in 1988.

Oh and fuck you guys but I like Corona.

edit: Damn, beat'd for Black Butte Porter!

Zenitram on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My favorite beer is the beer that's all-you-can-drink that night.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • ALockslyALocksly Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Coming back from my hikes around Mt. Baker in Washington State there is a wonderful little restaurant and "Beer Shrine" alongside Mt. Baker highway. Their barley wines are excellent. The Pacific Northwest is a great place if you like rustic little public houses that brew their own.

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Tonight it was Pabst for a dollar

not good by any means

nexuscrawler on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

Tonight it was Pabst for a dollar

not good by any means

It'll get ya drunk!

You'll be fuckin' fat bitches in no time!

I plan on brewing a bear after Samuel Jackson. What do you guys think it should be brewed/taste like?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • TSRTSR Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Zenitram wrote: »

McMenamins Hammerhead
    Widmer and Henry W hefeweizen

It is so delicious :P

What part of Oregon, out of curiosity? I hail from Corvallis.

TSR on
  • Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Beer is classy

beer.jpg

Beer is for everyone

classy.jpg

Beer is magical

cupoflife.jpg

HOORAY FOR BEER THREAD

Low Key on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fleck0 wrote: »
    It's sure to be mentioned but I'll do it first

(Fat Tire)

I'm so sick of Fat Tire. I can't even drink it anymore. Waaaaaay too nutty. I like Belgian's other beers, though. 1554's great.

Other stuff I dig:

Murphy's Stout. Much smoother than Guinness Draft.
    Kirin Ichiban. Who knew the Japanese could pull off a decent ale?
    Prohibition Ale.
    Pyramid Hefeweizen.
    Anchor Steam. Not terribly exotic, I know, but you can find it anywhere around here which is a plus.
    Negra Modelo. I don't like Tecate or Corona; this is the only Mexican beer I like.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    TSR wrote: »
    Zenitram wrote: »

McMenamins Hammerhead
    Widmer and Henry W hefeweizen

It is so delicious :P

What part of Oregon, out of curiosity? I hail from Corvallis.

From Molalla, but currently working/schooling in Eugene. I guess that makes us mortal enemies.

Zenitram on
  • yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    He'Brew is a pretty good beer. Though I can't decide if I prefer Genesis Ale or Messiah Gold.

I am currently in the middle of the World Beer Tour at the bar Old Chicago, wherein you must drink 110 different beers to get a t-shirt and your name up on the wall. I just finished the Summer Tour and got a shirt for that but I had to drink both Foster's and Heineken Light so I'm not sure if it was worth it.

However Leinekugel's Sunset Whet was part of that and that beer is jawsome because it tastes like Fruit Loops.

Also if you are in the mood for a serious drink, try OLD CHUB. It is eight percent in the style of scottish ale and is fucking delicious.

yakul on
  • AhhseeAhhsee Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Just bought a case of some Edmund Fitzgerald Porter from the Great Lakes Brewing Company for a weekend in the woods. Should go over well, that is if any is left by Saturday...

Ahhsee on
    newsigji1.jpg
    Click image for my huge backlog :\\\
  • telcustelcus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh I can't pass up a chance to praise the beers that I enjoy. So here goes:

Blue Tongue Lager - Pure sex in a bottle. One of my favourite beers at the moment.

James Squires - have a very nice selection of beers across the entire spectrum, lagers, pale ales, stouts. I prefer the Golden and Amber ales.

Boags St. George - This beer is very odd in that it almost disappears down your throat. The easiest to drink beer I've ever seen. You'll wonder what happened to all the beer, till you walk into a door after downing a case. Smooth.

telcus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Trappist Westvleteren...oh my so damn expensive but so damn good. This is undeniably the best beer in the world, and the price shows. These are from an actual monastery that only brews a very very small number a year, and there is a waiting list to get it. The good news? You can buy some online at ebay.

Shiner is a great choice-but I got burned out on it being from Texas and all, it's really what everyone around here drinks. I had about 60 bottles of it stocked in my fridge at my apartment because my girlfriend only drank that and I got burned out fairly quickly on it because of it. Don't get me wrong though, it's a damn fine brew.

Hefe-Weizens are my chosen beer though, and there are just so many damn good ones. That and an orange peel on a hot summer day makes even the shittiest of days the greatest. So refreshing and so delicious.

Crayon on
  • yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Crayon wrote: »
    Hefe-Weizens are my chosen beer though, and there are just so many damn good ones. That and an orange peel on a hot summer day makes even the shittiest of days the greatest. So refreshing and so delicious.

Paulaner makes a solid Hefe.

yakul on
  • ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    You guys should try a Michelada.

Sounds disgusting, but it is unbelievably amazing.

ege02 on
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    From what I've had, I liked Alaskan Amber. It doesn't seem readily available in SoCal though.

Gim on
  • VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    TSR wrote: »
    I am a big, big fan of the Deschutes Brewery in Bend, Oregon. They make very good beers.

yes ma'am

Theirs, Red Hook ESB, and the Alaskan beers are all I buy lately.

Veegeezee on
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Aaaah, Innis & Gunn.

Made by accident. It was supposed to just flavour some oak barrels that where going to be used for making whisky. It was going to be thrown away. However someone had a fly taste of it and it was saved.

Praise Be.

The first sip I had of it I reacted rather negatively to it. But as I had some food and tried it gain a miracle occurred.

Yes, a Miracle.

The beer. . . adapts to the flavour of the food your eating like no other that I've tasted. It has cameleon like properties to blend and complement that it is really the ideal beer to have with food.

Testify.

It's also nice drunk just straight as well, it's just got such a distinctive flavour, and each bottle does genuinely have it's own taste, that it does take little getting use to.

Oh, I also like Deuchers IPA, Badger Tanglefoot and basically anything that comes out of Yorkshire that isn't evilly nitro kegged.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I loves me a good Red Ale. There's a local brewery here that does a fantastic one. Even the big commercial breweries manage to do some decent ones. Smithwick's sure ain't terrible. Rickard's Red is better; easily the best thing Molson has any hand in.

Senjutsu on
  • VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Regarding pictures of beer, I've always thought the art on the Flying Dog labels was really cool, but I've never tried any of their beers.

Veegeezee on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    I'm not a big beer drinker, except when pizza's involved, but man I love me some Chimay, brewed in actual Belgian dirt by actual Belgian monks in the actual Belgium, as opposed to all those fake Belgiums lying around. It's spicy and not too heavy and packs a ridiculous punch - a single 32oz bottle got me more deliciously wasted than all the gin martinis and Scotches I've ever had.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've only been 21 for just over a month and am only recently into the world of actual good beer (fuck everything kids buy for parties), but I'm partial to some Guinness, Henry and Corona, one of which I am having now. So far Heineken is my favorite, methinks.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I like Blue Moon, and their summer beer is honey or something, I enjoy it as well.

I was really into Stone IPA for like a month but I'm pretty over it now.

Hoegaarden is tasty and very refreshing.

Dogfish Head I believe is the IPA I go for now... not certain that that's the one, there is another with a similar name I might be confusing.

Hobgoblin is good too. definitely.

at a bar though, unless it's a bar with some actual variety, I go with Guiness.

love these threads :-) hope to be able to contribute a better list tomorrow when I'm not about to crawl in bed.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Veegeezee wrote: »
    Regarding pictures of beer, I've always thought the art on the Flying Dog labels was really cool, but I've never tried any of their beers.

their hefeweizen is DAMN good, which surprised the shit out of me. been meaning to try their other stuff.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Low Key wrote: »
    Beer is classy

beer.jpg

Dude, only classy folks drink Toohey's. I have a case of Toohey's New here in the UK that I'm taking back to Canada, as it bears the proud name of my Ancestors.

Toohey's New is shite, though. I much prefer the Extra Dry.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Teds are pretty much as staple at 21sts around here these days. They're dead cheap and a really nice, crisp beer that people can drink all night long.

Low Key on
  • Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    telcus wrote: »
    Oh I can't pass up a chance to praise the beers that I enjoy. So here goes:

Blue Tongue Lager - Pure sex in a bottle. One of my favourite beers at the moment.
    God dammit I was just at Dan Murphy's and passed that up. (You'll be happy to know I went for some James Squire Amber Ale instead, but that's because I knew it was awesome beforehand.)

What are your thoughts on Little Creatures? I absolutely love the Pale Ale, but I didn't think much of their Bright Ale and haven't tried anything else. Definitely check out the Pale Ale if you haven't already.

Baron Dirigible on
  • real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I had some kind of microbrew once at a party and it tasted like coffee beer. I was drunk and visiting a college and I was like, "Eck, it tastes like coffee!" (I don't like coffee.)

So why is it that I can drink shitty beer (such as Pabst) more easily than I can drink actually good beer? (such as the aforementioned Fat Tire)

Edit: Yes I'm a beer noob.

real_pochacco on
  • SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I say it every time, but Adnams Broadside is the best beer ever.

11.jpg

The bottled stuff is stronger, but the barreled stuff is slightly more drinkable, Goddamn I need to go get some more.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    I like Blue Moon, and their summer beer is honey or something, I enjoy it as well.
    Honey Brown?
    Variable wrote: »
    Dogfish Head I believe is the IPA I go for now... not certain that that's the one, there is another with a similar name I might be confusing.

Raison D’Etre is awesome.

edit: 120 min. IPA is dangerous.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • ShmoepongShmoepong Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I love wheat beers and Ayinger's Hefeweizen is fantastic. It's imported and fantasticly over-priced for $8 a 16 oz. bottle, but damn is it good. Anyone who's up in the DC/NoVA area can get it at Brickskeller's near Dupont Circle, DC.

AyingerBrauWeisse.jpg

A Russian beer I used to quaff liberally was Baltika 9. They have 0 through 10, but 9 is the strongest. Guaranteed a minimum 12% alcohol by volume. That was a promise on the Russian labels, I never saw that repeated on the US labels.

baltika-nr-9.jpg

Edit: Translation on the ad: We mixed vodka with beer for you!!! *ah hah...*

And for those of you who love Guiness, I bring you Young's Double Chocolate Stout. It has a smooth chocolately after taste that isn't too sweet. It makes for a great dessert beer.

YoungDoubleChocolateStout.jpg

Shmoepong on
    I don't think I could take a class without sparring. That would be like a class without techniques. Sparring has value not only as an important (necessary) step in applying your techniques to fighting, but also because it provides a rush and feeling of elation, confidence, and joyful exhaustion that can only be matched by ... oh shit, I am describing sex again. Sorry everyone. - Epicurus
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hoegaarden's been mentioned - with good reason.

Hacker Pschorr is also quite good.

Blue Moon is a good substitute, as most bars won't have either of the above.

Rolling Rock introduced me to the world of guy-on-hops action, but it seemes to have been edged out by BM.

MichaelLC on
  • The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    A beer thread! Oh, OP, you beautiful, beautiful man.

Favorite beer of all time? It has got to be:

skullsplitter_med.jpg

I love me some dark ales, and this one blew me away when I first had it. It has a very rich, almost chocolatey flavor to it, and goes down smoooth. Packs a punch too. Plus, it has a picture of a friggin' Viking on it, so there.

Otherwise, it's usually a mix of Guinness Stout, Killian's Irish Red, or Sam Adam's Porter.

I understand that a lot of people love their IPA's, but for the life of me, I can't get into them. Stone, Magic Hat, Dogfish Head 90 Minute.....just oddly bitter, with that off-putting perfumey aftertaste. *shivers*

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I'll second Paulaner. Their hefe is quite nice, in contrast to the Shiner hefe, which is absolute sour shit.

My favorites right now:

del%20tremens.jpg
    This one almost has a hint of BBQ sauce if your tastes are keen. Well, maybe not BBQ exactly, but I definitely felt anything from taragon and brown sugar to very light hints of something like Worchestershire sauce. It's crazy, and you almost have to have a very defined pallette to enjoy it, but it's one of the better, more common Belgian-types out there. Very strong, though; your liver will not be your buddy if you drink as much of this stuff as I do.

guldrakfls300.jpg
    I can't even begin to describe the rich tastes available in this one. It comes across like a Barley Wine, tasting like any great unfiltered beer should. Cloudy, dark, and heavy, I can't recommend this one enough.

maudite.jpg
    This is what I'm drinking right now, as in this very moment, so let me take you on a journey. It's French for "the damned," or some such stuff. Another Belgian, it's got an almost overpowering scent coming from a nice, frothy head that smells strongly of the yeast and alcohol, but it drinks smooth as silk with a sweet flavor. Tastes like tart fruits with some traditional spices thrown in. Light on the malt, but you can definitely taste it. Letting it sit, it's still smooth, but feels heavier than it did initially. Finishes with a long, dry aftertaste, strong on the alcohol. Head sticks around for a while, which I really like.

Overall a good Belgian, but you probably won't get much out of it if you're not a beer snob.

Seriously though, ALocksly, I was going to make this exact same thread today.
    get out of my head

Wonder_Hippie on