As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The SE++ Listening Party Thread. Now Playing: Fox and the Bird - Floating Feather

joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class TraitorSmoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
edited May 2012 in Social Entropy++
When discussing music, particularly music you've never heard before, there are two major problems:

1) There are so many recommendations, it's tough to sift them them all, or remember, "Hey, this band was recommended to me. I should really listen to them." etc.

2) Discussion ends up being all over the place, and there's no guarantee you'll get a really in-depth conversation about the album you want to with your favorite people on the Internet (in this case, SE++ folks).

Okay, so here is how this works.
RULES

To sign up, post the following: !checkthisout. It helps if you put a @joshofalltrades in there too, so I get a notice and don't overlook you. If I do overlook you by accident, shoot me a PM.

If you want to be safe, put it at the start or end of your post. If you've intentionally buried it somewhere deep inside a wordy paragraph or under spoilers or something, chances are I will either miss it or decide you aren't being serious.

The first nine people (my own damn self making the first entry) who sign up will be entered into a random draw for who gets to pick the album first. After the first ten, it will be first-come, first-served on the list. You're just going to have to trust me to be honest about the randomness of the selection.

You can pick any album you want. It can be rap, comedy, folk, rock, metal, whatever. The goal here is to broaden our horizons and listen to things we would not ordinarily listen to. Technically, you can waste your turn on Kevin Federline's CD, but that would a) be really sad and b) most likely result in people either ignoring the selection or spend the whole time making fun of it.

We're not going to be super formal about turns. I'm saying right now that everybody gets at least 24 hours, and more if we all agree we need more time. This is subject to change.

This thread goes Monday through Friday. Too many people are busy having lives/not posting at work to do this on the weekends, so we'll use the weekends to talk about all of the selections for the week and allow people to catch up on anything they missed.

NO PIRACY ALLOWED. Don't even talk about it. There are several legit legal channels through which you can enjoy the recommendations. We don't want to hear about anything less than totally legal.

When it's your turn, please be prompt about either sending me a PM with your selection if you know you're not going to be around on the day it comes up or posting it ahead of time. I really prefer the PM method so we can focus on one piece at a time and not get ahead of ourselves.

I reserve the right to skip your turn if you do any of the following:

-Use this thread as a way to mock others' taste in music (if someone ironically selects something they know is bad and makes this explicit, feel free to mock)

-Never post in the thread unless it's time for you to give a recommendation. Be considerate of others! It's not all about you here!

-Are banned when your turn comes up

-Are a goose in general about anything

Let's get this thing started and listen to some tunes together!

How to legally listen to some tunes:

Download Spotify. You'll get ads every now and then, but this thread would get really expensive if we all bought every album we listened to in it.

Goose! has been kind enough to set up a turntable room for Listening Party people who are interested here:

http://turntable.fm/4f8f03d0aaa5cd22fd000038

Hope to see some of you there! We won't necessarily be listening to the selection there, but if you see us talking about going to the turntable room... well, there you go.

joshofalltrades on

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Turn order:

1. joshofalltrades
    2. Reginald
    3. Goose!
    4. Uriel
    5. NeoToma
    6. facetious
    7. Sweeney Tom
    8. Noisymunk
    9. Coffee
    10. Hullis
    11. Rock Lobster!
    12. Arang
    13. dbrock270
    14. Oghulk
    15. cabsy
    16. QuantumTurk
    17. Fearghaill
    18. Doctor Fink
    19. Lilli

Albums we've already listened to: (today's selection is bolded/underlined)

Agalloch - The Mantle
    Anaïs Mitchell - Hadestown
    Astronautalis - This is Our Science
    Ben Kweller - Go Fly a Kite
    Cibo Matto - Viva! La Woman
    Das Racist - Relax
    Doomtree - No Kings
    Dumbfoundead - DFD
    The Fox and the Bird - Floating Feather
    Fun - Some Nights
    Genghis Tron - Board Up the House
    Hanggai - He Who Travels Far
    I Shalt Become - Poison
    Julia Massey and The Five Finger Discount - Is There Room For Me?
    N.E.R.D. - Nothing
    Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
    Ratatat - Classics
    Slow Club - Yeah So
    The Smiths - Hatful of Hollow
    Susanne Sundfør - Take One

joshofalltrades on
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    !checkthisout

Totally dig this idea.

• NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    This seems like a really cool idea.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I agree. This seems like a fantastic idea.

!checkthisout

Sweeney Tom on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    NeoToma: Did you want to sign up, or are you just going to hang out and comment on the selections?

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    !checkthisout

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Also a good way to check out albums without having to buy them is Spotify.

• NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    NeoToma: Did you want to sign up, or are you just going to hang out and comment on the selections?

I'm scared people will think the music i choose is dumb. But fuck it.
    !Checkthisout

NeoToma on
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »

Also Youtube, just for those who lack Spotify.

I have Spotify, but don't use it as often as I should. Luckily, this is a thing!

Also, I know a lot of independent artists who make their CD freely available to listen to online as well. That sort of thing is encouraged, since we can all talk about the music and there is usually presumably some way to obtain a physical copy if I like it enough.

When I discovered Spotify, I made it my default listening program.

Goose! wrote: »

Yeah, I put it in the OP even though I've never tried it myself. It seems to be completely legal, though, which is a plus.

Oh whoops I must've glanced right over that part.

NeoToma wrote: »

I'm scared people will think the music i choose is dumb. But fuck it.
    !Checkthisout

Mockery of you personally ain't cool. If there is something subjectively that we don't like about a selection, I'm hoping the fine folk here are cool enough to be constructive in their criticisms.

Halfway there. Five more entries and I'll begin the random draw, and we will hopefully have our first selection for tonight/tomorrow!

If I check the thread tomorrow and we have less than 10, I'm going to go ahead and get this started anyway.

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    !checkthisout

I love music.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    !checkthisout

edited April 2012
    Okay, the second post will contain the turn order. I used random.org to do the randomization of the list. I tossed out the first result, since it ended up with me going first. You know what? Uriel and Reginald aren't around, so I'll go with the first result just to get this thing going.

Here it is:

1. joshofalltrades
    2. Reginald
    3. Goose!
    4. Uriel
    5. NeoToma
    6. facetious
    7. Sweeney Tom

joshofalltrades on
    edited April 2012
    The first CD we'll be listening to is Ben Kweller - Go Fly a Kite.

BenKwellerGoFlyAKite.jpg

EDIT: This is available on Spotify, which is free!

joshofalltrades on
  • ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    Yes! I am listening to Ben Kweller now and pondering my selection. It's good summer music!

• NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    !checkthisout

I love music.

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I would totes do this but well Canada doesn't have spotify and I probs would just hurt every ones ears.

But I will follow along when possible.

icGJy2C.png
    Ok, my selection is: Cibo Matto- Viva La Woman

51T0dPnH2rL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Also available on spotify. It's these 2 girls who moved to New York from Japan, and this album has a really interesting mish-mash of styles/concepts.

You guys should listen to Ben Kweller first though. It's good happy morning music. Kind of reminds me of Matthew Sweet from way back, in that it is modern with sort of a 70s garage twinge.

For future reference, please restrict the reveal of your selection until it's time to listen to it, just so discussion doesn't veer between selections when people skip ahead in anticipation.

It's cool for now though. I know what I'm listening to tomorrow. :)

edited April 2012
    The thing I like about Ben Kweller is that it's unashamed to be pop. And that's okay! Some of the tunes are catchy as hell. My favorite on Go Fly a Kite so far is Gossip, just because I like bouncy piano tunes. And the Beatles-esque harmonies don't hurt either. In fact, a lot of Kweller's stuff channels Lennon/McCartney.

EDIT:

Oh, and by the way, if you happen to like it enough to buy it, the CD comes with all of the chord charts so you can play along with your own guitar. Fuckin sweet. I wish every artist did this. If you get a digital version, you get a PDF with the charts!

joshofalltrades on
    If there was one thing I could say I dislike about this CD, it's that it gets a little repetitive and slow towards the end, with the exception of You Can Count on Me. Also he could have taken out about 16 of those "Time will save the day"'s at the end of that tune, but I guess that would cut the track's time in half.

• ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    i wish i were ben kweller, cause he plays those cool tunes
    he uses those cool minor chords and you love the way he croons

• CoffeeCoffee Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    !checkthisout

I am a music nerd

Coffee on
    Oh I just noticed we will be using albums! Excellent! Makes it a lot easier to get a feel for the artist.

Now I will refrain from picking two hour long albums.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    !checkthisout

Yeah, I don't like to hunt and peck songs for the most part. I like to look at an album as a singular effort. Even if I might like individual songs on a CD better than the whole thing, I feel like the whole thing is mostly intended to be listened to in order.

So wait we're doing this one a day? That's going to take forever.

I typically spend a ton of time on individual albums before passing judgement. I actually find that typically the albums I immediately found gratifying are not always as impacting as albums that grew on me through repeated listens. Some music just needs time and attention.

edited April 2012
    Well. What do you suggest? Maybe three albums a day? Can people listen to that much music consistently?

joshofalltrades on
    I thought the way it worked was the person who's turn was next had to listen to the album, and then post one.

I figure you can just collect album names in the 2nd post or OP.

Most likely people won't be able to get here everyday and there should be enough lulls to catch up if someone is following this thread closely.

Mean to Me is the cheesiest song ever btw.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I am going to try -extremely- hard not to post only local albums*

and fail

Well. What do you suggest? Maybe three albums a day? Can people listen to that much music consistently?

I waste tons of time sitting in front of my system with what ever new CD(s) or LP(s) that just came in the mail, but I can definitely see why that may not be the best idea for this.

• pookapooka Registered User regular
    josh, have you heard of turntable.fm? (sorry, non-US friends.) i've hooked some of tinychat on it, but it's a social site that allows up to 5 people to DJ for public or private chatrooms of up to 200. you have to have at least 2 DJs to hear your own songs, though.

you can skip your own songs, or if it's unpopular enough, it'll get voted off; the DJs can voluntarily step down at will, or a mod can boot any user from the room (or just the DJ decks.) you have to sign up with twitter or facebook right now, but it's pretty fun.

lfchwLd.jpg
    edited April 2012
    If enough people really want it to move faster than one new album/day, we can do that. The suggestions are supposed to be listened to by everybody who has signed up, though; to really be a "listening party", we should all be listening to the same thing or same few albums at a time.

The reason I picked one/day is because I know with a lot of the selections, I'm going to want to listen through multiple times. My first impression isn't always my final impression.

joshofalltrades on