As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Breath of [Phalla] III - Final Day - Teepo's World (Cultist Victory)

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Also obi, I seered hp info, I knew your hp and that you were lying the moment you said it, I knew you had 6

Literally the only reason I didn't go public at that point was the host clarification. I was stressed as it was as the seer, so I took that to heart.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Also obi, I seered hp info, I knew your hp and that you were lying the moment you said it, I knew you had 6

Oh wow

um, yeah

awkward

• Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    I think the mafia boards make it pretty clear that we were playing our own little vanilla phalla game until night 7 when our world imploded and we couldn't ever really get back on top of what was playing out around us.

Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

HoTS: Schmutz#1686
    Taya wrote: »
    Figgy, you were kind of right about me; I think killing me was a waste. I was not a very useful gene.

This game had interesting mechanics but I definitely think having incorrect host information about the brood was a mistake. I liked the idea that the neutral genes had to make an effort to get converted. Dying blue meant failing your win condition but dying green/purple meant you could still win in your team won. Before I was changed I was hoping to be in cahoots with the mafia purely to stay alive, since I didn't think the brood would convert me when my identity was compromised.

Nope, your gene was needed to create some of the more powerful dragons. You and kime were super important genes for transformations.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    AkimboLegs wrote: »
    Also smoove I can't believe you didn't tie the vote to vote out obi, why wouldn't you do that as mafia. Alegis might have died but you would have killed the cult leader, you might have actually had a shot at winning.

This + your other post about vigging genes is what I "thought" would/might happen, thus the extra day. But Obi's group did a decent job in convincing the mafia that they could leave the game victorious and then the mafia win afterward, so I think thats why they did what they did.
    I haven't done the math, but I'm not really seeing a win solution for the village or mafia the day before it ended, especially since everyone knew who the important people were. The vote going last was definitely a detriment to the village (and the mafia at the end too)
    Spoit wrote: »
    So, how many villagers were there, really? 30%?

At the start, yes, in a mechanical sense. I think it's fair to assume that survivor neutrals typically align with the village in trying to kill mafia, so I sort of counted them as village in the original tally (making it more like 70%). If that's a point of contention, fair enough, but the core mechanic doesn't really work any other way, so without drastically changing the game, not a lot of other options.
    Except you really can't count them like that. Like was said earlier, survival neutrals want to get in with the mafia, since they have the most kills. Even if you're charitable and say that ryu had converted a person every day to the end, that's still barely a village majority, and since the vote is theoretically the village's main power....

steam_sig.png
  • AkimboLegsAkimboLegs Registered User regular
    So yeah, I was the seer, and with the host confirming that brood were village aligned, and being unable to seer the teepo faction (they resulted as if they were neutralish), I don't know what I was supposed to do. I knew obi lied to me about his hp, but the only thing I could think was that he needed to maybe kill ryu or something not completely cultish.

My other option was to out myyself as the seer to everyone and possibly kill a village special in the same swoop.

So

One thing I would point at is that you clearly didn't trust them! You said so yourself in PMs to me :)

Even so, I definitely screwed up the wording in that clarification. My goal with that clarification was actually NOT to tell the village they were allied with the brood, just to clarify that villagers were NOT brood themselves, but I took it too far, and then was in kind of an awkward position.

Literally the only reason I didn't go public at that point was the host clarification. I was stressed as it was as the seer, so I took that to heart.

Yeah, there wasn't much you could do besides hope I was lying for a good reason.

It was fun working with you when we were actually working together. I felt bad about the super betrayal after the fact because it meant no more discussing the game with you and spoit anymore.

ObiFett wrote: »
    Figgy, you were kind of right about me; I think killing me was a waste. I was not a very useful gene.

This game had interesting mechanics but I definitely think having incorrect host information about the brood was a mistake. I liked the idea that the neutral genes had to make an effort to get converted. Dying blue meant failing your win condition but dying green/purple meant you could still win in your team won. Before I was changed I was hoping to be in cahoots with the mafia purely to stay alive, since I didn't think the brood would convert me when my identity was compromised.

Nope, your gene was needed to create some of the more powerful dragons. You and kime were super important genes for transformations.

Yeah, Infinity and Failure (and Thorn) had the most HP of all genes, and were involved in the best transformations.

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    It was more of a faction game than a conventional one.

It's just that the village faction was kinda weak and not masoned.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    As powerful as I was, the vote is a bitch. Haha.

My only problem with the mechanics, from my end, was the use of gene conversion as a form of seering. Anyone who approached kime as a seer/brood could be easily confirmed that night an hour before vote close by trying to make a dragon with them, right? Then, the actual seer power could be saved for mafia hunting.

And Langly, man, when you seer kime and it comes back blocked, you keeeeeel him.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular

Are you sure? According the PM I got, I couldn't be used in combination with other genes and I gave the dragon a roleblock ability. It didn't seem all that impressive to me.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Akimbo I had fun, thanks for running.
    Looking over the roles, my role felt a bit under-powered. If I'm reading correctly, Ryu and Teepo were able to confirm 2-3 people a night?
    And Langly was able to confirm one a night?
    Looks like there were quite a few people who would take me multiple nights to kill. I'm not sure how viable that is.

First time I was a serial killer, and I thought I did okay with it. I feel really bad I forgot that vote comes last and forgot my last kill.

Also why was the other serial killer working with the village?

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

edited April 2012
    Here is what we had pieced together by the end:
    Combinations:

Behemoth - Frost, Force, Gross
    Mammoth - Defender, Thorn, Gross
    Mystic Dragon - Trance, Reverse, Miracle
    Pygmy (health reduced to 1 HP, immune to all damage) - Gross, Mutant, Thorn
    Trygon - Three Elements
    Trickster Dragon - Force, Thorn, Reverse
    True Kaiser - Infinity, Failure
    Ultimate Kaiser - Thorn, Force, Infinity
    Vengeful Dragon - Frost, Thorn, Reverse
    Wyrm - Frost, Force, Reverse

Bahamut - Infinity, "???", _____
    Drake - Frost, Thorn, _____
    Ethereal Dragon - Reverse, "???", _____
    Mother Dragon - Thorn, Miracle, _____
    Myrmidon - Force, Defender, _____
    Pacifista - Failure, Defender, _____
    Prismatic Dragon - Frost, "???", _____
    Sage Dragon - Miracle, "???", _____
    Tiamat - Infinity, "???", _____

What genes go in those blanks?

Oh, and what powers did all the dragons give?

ObiFett on
    1 person a night, except for with the miracle gene, which was another random seer every other night

steam_sig.png
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular

Are you sure? According the PM I got, I couldn't be used in combination with other genes and I gave the dragon a roleblock ability. It didn't seem all that impressive to me.

Going by BoF3, Failure is used to form a Kaiser.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i believe gaslight thought they thought he was a normal vig

but they were all too aware

liEt3nH.png
    So yeah, I was the seer, and with the host confirming that brood were village aligned, and being unable to seer the teepo faction (they resulted as if they were neutralish), I don't know what I was supposed to do. I knew obi lied to me about his hp, but the only thing I could think was that he needed to maybe kill ryu or something not completely cultish.

My other option was to out myyself as the seer to everyone and possibly kill a village special in the same swoop.

So

One thing I would point at is that you clearly didn't trust them! You said so yourself in PMs to me :)

Even so, I definitely screwed up the wording in that clarification. My goal with that clarification was actually NOT to tell the village they were allied with the brood, just to clarify that villagers were NOT brood themselves, but I took it too far, and then was in kind of an awkward position.

I didn't trust them, and in fact wasted two nights seering each one, but had no mechanical agency to do anything about it other than something that was, to me, potentially damming to the village.

I still don't understand the decision to make their alignment unseerable, not just obi's but all teepo faction. How was the village ever supposed to know they were evil?

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    I will say it was interesting.

I just don't feel we had proper info to work with as the mafia. Not much else I can say, anything else worth saying I already said on the mafia boards.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Mr. Mojo RisinMr. Mojo Risin Registered User regular
    Hahahaha this was by far the most fun I have ever had in a phalla seriously the day 7 shenanigan planning was pretty intense we thought for sure it was all going to blow up in our face and it came so close to doing just that. Thanks akimbo it was great.

steam_sig.png
  • TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Amen, Mojo.

Excellent fun.

Hahahaha this was by far the most fun I have ever had in a phalla seriously the day 7 shenanigan planning was pretty intense we thought for sure it was all going to blow up in our face and it came so close to doing just that. Thanks akimbo it was great.

Yeah, for future reference. a couple minutes before vote close is perfectly fine to pull something like that. :P

You guys waited until 30 seconds left, on my end.

edited April 2012
    Were there any actual healers or non-mafia guards, or were those just dragon abilities that were never usable?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    Figgy wrote: »

My only problem with the mechanics, from my end, was the use of gene conversion as a form of seering. Anyone who approached kime as a seer/brood could be easily confirmed that night an hour before vote close by trying to make a dragon with them, right? Then, the actual seer power could be saved for mafia hunting.

And Langly, man, when you seer kime and it comes back blocked, you keeeeeel him.

We could only use the genes we had already converted. So the only confirmation we got was after we tried to claim them, which happened after the vote.

• AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed being the CKO for two days. Thought the village had it wrapped up there for a moment until the "oh shit, they aren't village" moment. Still fun despite that giant screw-over.

We could only use the genes we had already converted. So the only confirmation we got was after we tried to claim them, which happened after the vote.

Converted how? Basically what I'm saying is there was a way to confirm people's roles each night outside of a seer ability.

Also smoove I can't believe you didn't tie the vote to vote out obi, why wouldn't you do that as mafia. Alegis might have died but you would have killed the cult leader, you might have actually had a shot at winning.

This + your other post about vigging genes is what I "thought" would/might happen, thus the extra day. But Obi's group did a decent job in convincing the mafia that they could leave the game victorious and then the mafia win afterward, so I think thats why they did what they did.
    I haven't done the math, but I'm not really seeing a win solution for the village or mafia the day before it ended, especially since everyone knew who the important people were. The vote going last was definitely a detriment to the village (and the mafia at the end too)
    So, how many villagers were there, really? 30%?

At the start, yes, in a mechanical sense. I think it's fair to assume that survivor neutrals typically align with the village in trying to kill mafia, so I sort of counted them as village in the original tally (making it more like 70%). If that's a point of contention, fair enough, but the core mechanic doesn't really work any other way, so without drastically changing the game, not a lot of other options.
    Except you really can't count them like that. Like was said earlier, survival neutrals want to get in with the mafia, since they have the most kills. Even if you're charitable and say that ryu had converted a person every day to the end, that's still barely a village majority, and since the vote is theoretically the village's main power....

I would argue the vote wasn't their best power this game, but even still, the uninformed nature of survivor neutrals, I still think, means they vote along with the network (if one exists), or at the very least they act like villagers in analysis, so at least for a little while, the vote is still under village control.

The village were (I think) the strongest faction on paper. Teepo and Ryu were basically the same (Teepo's fusion could (only) target dead people and he had 2 more HP, but Ryu's claims triggered first), plus a 5 HP seer, 5 HP heal/guardian (who also self healed for 1, starting day 3), a non-elemental vig and an any elemental vig, all of whom had an elemental resist, and a series of specials with 4 or 5 HP (Jono/corvidae also had an additional ability to inform the dragons about possible combinations).

Not when the host confirms that his faction is village aligned.

I meant, as in, the whole basic idea of phalla is that the village has the vote, and numbers. And the mafia has their kill, and information.

steam_sig.png
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I didn't know anything about that dragon transformation stuff. It was like "you're a failure gene. You give a roleblock. You negate other genes." and I thought well it's a good thing the mafia is going to kill me today anyway because I'm useless.

He said the brood are village aligned. Kime lied. He was a gene.

Was he unseerable or was he guarded when you tried to seer him?

Converted how? Basically what I'm saying is there was a way to confirm people's roles each night outside of a seer ability.

We could "claim" one player a night and had to submit who we wanted to try to claim before the vote, but the claiming happens after the vote. If they were an unactivated gene, they got our wincon and we could use them the next night to form dragons. We couldn't use the same gene two nights in a row, though, and if they died we lost access to their power.

Seering Obi's genes also gave an "unclear alignment" reading.

yeah, a gene tied to a dragon. A dragon which was host confirmed to be village aligned.

• CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    I had fun guys. Grats to my Teepo brethren, I will say that I was cursing when you're votes were coming in late. I knew the forum time was off from previous phallas and I wanted to yell at you so much. :P

Glad I was able to (maybe?) confuse people with my list of characters by listing all the Brood as village aligned. I'm surprised no one ever brought up that Team Teepo died not-green.

Anyway, thanks Akimbo and everyone!

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
    I thought that the purple was just the unclaimed gene color, because when I claimed someone after kime died, their name in the claim PM was also purple.

steam_sig.png

yeah, a gene tied to a dragon. A dragon which was host confirmed to be village aligned.

kime didn't lie about anything, by the way. He said he was a gene. He said it was host confirmed that the brood were village aligned. That was true.

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular

In my defense, I actually said the village are aligned with the brood, not the brood are aligned with the village. I guess you could argue its semantics, but there are different implications (in my mind).

But I still recognize that as being poor phrasing, which had way too much of an effect on the game. You guys can stop talking about it now :(

It was a pretty big deal.

The only reason I contacted Kime was because of that phrasing.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    All in all, I had a lot of fun. I will say my night shift was pretty hectic when I stole away to the break room and checked my phone to see kime had outed me. Bastard! Later on in the night, someone came up to me and said, "Are you fighting with your wife or something? You've been back here on your phone a lot."

"No, much worse," I said.

edited April 2012

In my defense, I actually said the village are aligned with the brood, not the brood are aligned with the village. I guess you could argue it's semantics, but there are different implications (in my mind).

But I still recognize that as being poor phrasing, which had way too much of an effect on the game. You guys can stop talking about it now :(

AkimboLegs on