As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Halfway Decent Hockey Thread that is BACK, BABY

• LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    DVR is the only way to watch sports. You get to skip commercials and shitty intermission analysis.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I always find out the outcome before I can watch it though. Never fucking fails.

• WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    I always find out the outcome before I can watch it though. Never fucking fails.

same, my friends text me while the games are on so either way I'm going to know what's up

also I obsessively check my phone if I can't watch for updates

so anyways if anyone needs me this evening I will be watching hockey and if you interrupt me you will either get cut get stuffed or get shot

Shaw suspended 3 games for the hit on Mike Smith.

Using my conversion, I believe that is 12 Shea Webers in value.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    That's kind of bullshit

I feel like the NHL should change the tagline for the playoffs from "Because its the Cup", to:
    Staleghoti wrote: »
    Probably shoulda just smashed his face against the glass.

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I haven't given up hope that the Pens could still win four straight - as crazy as the series has been, why not even more insanity? - but I'm still annoyed that they even had to play the Flyers in the first round.

I think that a) the Penguins are the better team but also b) the Flyers are by far the worst matchup for them of any team in the league. I genuinely believe that the Flyers are the only team that can beat the Pens. So it's a bummer as a Penguins fan that the seedings had to go down like this, especially since I think that there are teams that will beat the Flyers that the Penguins would dominate. (By which I mean the Rangers, more or less.)

Also as annoying as I find Philly sports fans, I do have to admit the "you can't beat us" chant was at least moderately clever.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    As someone mentioned before, either in this thread or the D&D hockey thread, Atlantic teams have a weird rock-paper-scissors game this year. Rangers have issues with the Pens, Pens can't beat the Flyers, and the Flyers had trouble with the Rangers. Islanders just plain can't win, except those few games against the Pens, and the Devils just slowly but surely rack up points every year. It was just bound to happen that one team would get burnt right away.

I don't think the Pens have any chance to beat the Flyers. I'd let to see us avoid the sweep, but even that might not happen. With the way the Pens were playing at the end of the season, the complete collapse our of defense following that massive lose in Ottawa and the April 1st debacle against the Flyers, I doubt we would've won the Cup even if we didn't have to face the Flyers. I really wanted us to and picked the Pens to win it all, but deep down inside I knew it was a fading dream.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Aren't the Isles getting better, though? I've watched more Islander games this year than any other regular season hockey.

Also I wanted to ask here: The highest seed always plays the lowest seed every round, correct?

• premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Yeah and higher seed starts with home ice, so if it goes to game 7 highest seed will have 4 games with home ice.

• BorommakotBorommakot Registered User regular
    I think my stream for Devils-Panthers is broken. It's just showing the game from Friday.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    200px-Florida_Panthers.svg.png

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    Pekka Rinne justifying his contract, damn

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Mother of fuck...that hit on Hossa. I hope they suspend Torres for the rest of the playoffs...this is like his fourth offense or some shit.

Mother of fuck...that hit on Hossa. I hope they suspend Torres for the rest of the playoffs...this is like his fourth offense or some shit.

Jesus... I just saw the replay. Torres should definitely get some time off for that hit.

Torres has a history of this shit.

• Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular

Jesus... I just saw the replay. Torres should definitely get some time off for that hit.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    raffi torres is a fucker.

doesn't even deserve a colorful cuss.

just a fucker.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Did he stay in the game and did they get him back?

• Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    Whhaaaaaat? He shot that off the red line. Ffffffffff

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    Really hope the Sens can win it tonight.

Losing Alfredsson really hit our shooting power. Just hope the Sens don't get bogged down trying to deal with only Brian Boyle and letting the real power forwards loose. Oh and someone should probably give Lundqvist food poisoning, juss sayin

tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    this is major junior hockey, but my local team (Halifax Mooseheads) pulled off what the Penguins and Canucks are dreaming of last night. 5-4 in overtime to complete a comeback from being down 0-3 in their first round playoff series. The team captain scored all 4 goals in regulation because the story apparently wasn't impressive enough without him picking up the team and carrying it on his back.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Hope you Penguins fans are ready for your consolation win. I'm betting they take one or two before the Flyers put them away.

Peen just dropped a double reverse jinx, I think.

Although with the ratings and questionable officiating we've seen, I wouldn't be surprised if you are right.

• BorommakotBorommakot Registered User regular
    I feel like Flyers fans being cocky about being up 3-0 in the series is tempting fate. Tempting fate hard.

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    LTM wrote: »
    If the Finals come down to Quick/Lundqvist, I think the networks will kill themselves.

I, on the other hand, will love every scoreless minute of it.

Are you kidding? The network executives would sell their own children into slavery for a Finals series between the two biggest media markets in the country.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Borommakot wrote: »
    I feel like Flyers fans being cocky about being up 3-0 in the series is tempting fate. Tempting fate hard.

I sure hope so. I'm sure as much as the Flyers would love to put away the Pens in 4, it might be worth their while to throw a game so they're not sitting around twiddling their thumbs for quite as long waiting for the next series.

shalmelo wrote: »
    If the Finals come down to Quick/Lundqvist, I think the networks will kill themselves.

Are you kidding? The network executives would sell their own children into slavery for a Finals series between the two biggest media markets in the country.

I didn't really think about it being LA/NY.

That would be an interesting dynamic. A huge new crowd, drawn in to watch scoreless OT games.

Raffi Torres is currently suspended indefinitely. There will be a hearing on Friday.

I'm a little surprised that Neal only got one game. The whole "well he didn't hurt him" thing smells to me.

Its the playoffs for one thing, so they always go lighter.

Second, Shanny has no rhyme or reason for what he's handing out.

Sure but does he realize how it looks? I'll keep using the Flyers/Pens example because it's the one I know best, it looks like he gave Asham 4 games because he's a thug and who cares but Neal 1 because he's pretty ok. It makes me think Crosby or Giroux could decapitate a guy on the ice with their stick and get a small fine.

Its not just you who thinks that, its pretty much the running joke of the playoffs so far.

I've been using "Webers" as my units of measurement when joking about it.

Honestly, I think Asham should have gotten a stiffer suspension than Neal, because he tried to decapitate Schenn. Neal was just out the flailing wildly trying to hurt somebody.

But yes, Shanny is making a mockery of the disciplinary process.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    It seems like they need to codify suspensions.
    Suspendable infraction: 1 game
    Repeat offender: 1 game
    Injury: 1 game
    Etc, etc, add/subtract/change to fines until you get a workable fair system so that everyone knows the consequences

• premiumpremium Registered User regular
    I don't understand why not injuring someone would result in a lesser suspension.
    If you go after someone with the intent to inflict damage, and the guy is lucky enough not to get a concussion/broken bone/whatever, you still were being just as big of a dickbag as someone who caused an injury, and should be treated the same.

• StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    It seems like they need to codify suspensions.
    Suspendable infraction: 1 game
    Repeat offender: 1 game
    Injury: 1 game
    Etc, etc, add/subtract/change to fines until you get a workable fair system so that everyone knows the consequences

thing about set systems is people cheat them

tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
    Its not just you who thinks that, its pretty much the running joke of the playoffs so far.

Honestly, I think Asham should have gotten a stiffer suspension than Neal, because he tried to decapitate Schenn. Neal was just out the flailing wildly trying to hurt somebody.

I haven't been watching much coverage beyond local stuff so it's nice to know everyone's noticed. But honestly Neal launched himself high and took a run at Giroux's head in the same shift, he should have gotten more.
    I can sympathize with Shanahan because he's probably having to invent a policy out of the air because these playoffs have been so violent but c'mon man.

• LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod

If the Rangers make it to the finals, that will shock me above anything else that has or can happen this year.

iwantanswers3.png
  • LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Brad Richardson had a fucking appendectomy a week ago and will be playing tonight. Holy shit.

iwantanswers3.png
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    He thinks he's Patrick Roy! Except he's like 4 days late

Peen wrote: »

I haven't been watching much coverage beyond local stuff so it's nice to know everyone's noticed. But honestly Neal launched himself high and took a run at Giroux's head in the same shift, he should have gotten more.
    I can sympathize with Shanahan because he's probably having to invent a policy out of the air because these playoffs have been so violent but c'mon man.

Quinnville publicly called the refs out last night, and the Rangers front office put it in writing after the Hagelin suspension. The Red Wings sort of played the backhanded, "I guess we'll play through it" thing when Weber went nutso in Game 1.

Its gone beyond noticing at this point. The refs not only didn't call Torres for a penalty, they also missed a blatant high stick on the guy with the puck in the 3rd that would have been 4min.

Add that into Clowe's magic stick at the end of the regular season, and one has to wonder wtf is going on with the refs.

This discussion has been closed.