As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MMA 18: [MMA]rrested Development: UFC Supports Drunk Driving and Domestic Violence

• B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Gentleman, I bring news!
    As usual

OLD news :P

Both Overeem and his manager seem pretty confident they can beat the rap. I wonder if they have a secret strategy to convince the athletic commission to grant him a license. Valentijn, as usual, knows nothing.

Dana White hinting at King Mo's comeback is consistent with his lax policies on drug testing.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    And according to Dana White, it's ok to invest in a fighter but not ok to parody that investment:

http://bjpenn.com/mmanews/2012/04/17/ufc-and-dana-white-demand-retraction-from-cagepotato-website-20196.html

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    B:L wrote: »
    And according to Dana White, it's ok to invest in a fighter but not ok to parody that investment:

http://bjpenn.com/mmanews/2012/04/17/ufc-and-dana-white-demand-retraction-from-cagepotato-website-20196.html
    The problem is that it uses quotations under a picture of Dana White which heavily implies it is a quote, which would be a big deal if Dana had actually said it.

But he didn't. So

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited April 2012
    TehSpectre wrote: »

The problem is that it uses quotations under a picture of Dana White which heavily implies it is a quote, which would be a big deal if Dana had actually said it.

But he didn't. So
    But the quote was never directly attributed to Dana White.

Might as well remove all captions on the internet and clarify that the cat never asked for a cheezburger

B:L on
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    danalawsuit.jpg

If cagepotato was a parody site, by all means run with it

But considering they're sorta kinda trying to be an information source? Yeah, that's either incompetent or dishonest.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    I think its a little shady they aren't giving both fighters the chance to sport their logo, but it makes 100% sense to me that you want your fighters to wear your gear that you sell.

camo_sig2.png
  • Billy ChenowithBilly Chenowith Registered User regular
    [Tycho?] wrote: »

Akyiama is sponsored by Nike as well.

We don't see the logos in the UFC because (I think) the UFC has a policy of basically requiring payoffs to show ads. So they need to approve any apparel that is shown in their events, and the sponsors have to pay the UFC a cut in order to get shown. I think Tito got in trouble for wearing an Affliction shirt at one point, because that is not an approved brand.

Even as I type this I don't really believe it, but I know I've heard stuff relating to this before. I find it hard to imagine Nike of all companies being prevented from being in the UFC.

I'm pretty sure the "sponsorship tax" is real:
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/09/13/the-truth-about-fighters-and-sponsors

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    danalawsuit.jpg

If cagepotato was a parody site, by all means run with it

But considering they're sorta kinda trying to be an information source? Yeah, that's either incompetent or dishonest.

Even though all their picture captions, when they're not just sourcing it, are snarky...yeah, that's probably not the best idea.

Shadowen wrote: »
    Even though all their picture captions, when they're not just sourcing it, are snarky...yeah, that's probably not the best idea.

Like some other MMA websites, CagePotato does their "news" with snark.

Might as well complain about MiddleEasy's background images and how this isn't really CroCop's nephew:
    http://middleeasy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7782:a-lesson-in-street-mma-dont-talk-trash-to-cro-cops-nephew-during-an-indoor-soccer-game&catid=34:organizations

edited April 2012
    I was not expecting coherent points in this interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b0i0-Uxw3E

All I can say is... the guy's got an idealized mentality about fight preparedness, but that is one hell of a fight schedule.

B:L on
  • Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The funny thing is, Dana already hated CagePotato.

They haven't had media access for a long ass time now, so I don't think they really care at all

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on

Might as well complain about MiddleEasy's background images and how this isn't really CroCop's nephew:
    http://middleeasy.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7782:a-lesson-in-street-mma-dont-talk-trash-to-cro-cops-nephew-during-an-indoor-soccer-game&catid=34:organizations

I wasn't complaining. I perhaps phrased it poorly, but I was commenting that even with the regular snark, that's probably pushing it a little.

I wasn't complaining. I perhaps phrased it poorly, but I was commenting that even with the regular snark, that's probably pushing it a little.

Oh I wasn't referring to you, I was referring to those who feel that these MMA news sites are typically 100% professional.

Well....CP posted a retraction.

Guess they do care

• 815165815165 Registered User regular
    Shit has actually gotten beel, no organisation should be directly sponsoring a fighter within it unless it's sponsoring them all.

Guess they do care

About their journalistic integrity, if nothing else.

• Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular

Guess they do care

There is a place for satire and humor in any website, you just have to make sure people know it's not actually news. The best way to do that is have someone write a commentary piece and make a joke about the situation not just add a random "quote" under a picture.

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    GSP has fought with UFC logos on his shorts before. He's the only fighter I can think of that has done that.

It was his second fight against Serra, I believe.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Apparently Reem has the same sponsorship deal as Bones.

Also, I really like Che Mills, but it feels like they're just feeding him to MacDonald on Saturday to build him up.

815165 on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular

Guess they do care

More likely they care about not getting sued. Somehow I doubt CP has the resources to match the billionaire Fertittas when it comes to hiring lawyers.
    Mr. Campbell further explained that under Nevada law a demand for retraction is the first required step in the filing of a lawsuit seeking punitive damages against a party that has maliciously published defamatory statements about another.

Considering it was just a joke to start with, the smart play is to just retract it instead of getting ground into dust by Zuffa's legal team. Even if you think you're right.

• adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Cage Potato has already been personally banned by Dana White from anything having to do with the UFC (including fan expos, IIRC).

I don't know why they'd bother to issue a retraction!

adytum on
    adytum wrote: »
    Cage Potato has already been personally banned by Dana White from anything having to do with the UFC (including fan expos, IIRC).

Seems Dana White doesn't believe in the 1st Amendment... for others.

• ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Libel does not fall under the protection of the 1st amendment, regardless of who it gets directed at.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.

Libel does not fall under the protection of the 1st amendment, regardless of who it gets directed at.

Parody is not libel.

And I was referring to Dana White completely banning a whole media outlet at UFC events.

I like Bob Sapp and he comes off really well in that interview.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg

I think after his MMA career is done he would have a decent career in acting and/or voice acting.

MWUHAHAHAHAH

• Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    815165 wrote: »
    Also, I really like Che Mills, but it feels like they're just feeding him to MacDonald on Saturday to build him up.

Yeah, I just don't know why, Rory ragdolled the current interim champ and Diaz, he shouldn't need feeding. Mills is a solid journeyman who can catch anyone on a good night, but his chances are slim to fuck all.

That being said, people said the same thing about Hathaway Sanchez...

I think after his MMA career is done he would have a decent career in acting and/or voice acting.

MWUHAHAHAHAH
    He will always have Japanese Pro Wrestling

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg

Parody is not libel.

And I was referring to Dana White completely banning a whole media outlet at UFC events.

I concur that parody should not be considered libel and you shouldn't be sued for it. Though you need to make it very clear that it is a parody or someone's opinion. I'm at work and can't see the entire Cage Potato article but if it was clear that the comment was parody then they shouldn't threaten to sue.

However, the 1st amendment doesn't cover private businesses banning people from events their stores, whatever. Even if an event is "open to the public" you can still be banned from that event. Dana White can't stop Cage Potato guys from standing outside the event in a public space but he certainly can stop them from coming into the event. That isn't a 1st amendment issue in any way, shape or form.

Parody is not libel.

I concur that parody should not be considered libel and you shouldn't be sued for it. Though you need to make it very clear that it is a parody or someone's opinion. I'm at work and can't see the entire Cage Potato article but if it was clear that the comment was parody then they shouldn't threaten to sue.

However, the 1st amendment doesn't cover private businesses banning people from events their stores, whatever. Even if an event is "open to the public" you can still be banned from that event. Dana White can't stop Cage Potato guys from standing outside the event in a public space but he certainly can stop them from coming into the event. That isn't a 1st amendment issue in any way, shape or form.

Sure, but it does certainly have implications when a company says that if a media outlet writes negative stories about them, they'll be banned from their events.

Look at how games journalism is a joke nowadays as reviewers can't give bad scores to big titles or else they'll risk pulled sponsorships, removal of access to media copies of the game and other assorted nonsense.

The UFC trying to control the media like this is not a good thing.

Parody is not libel.

Sure, but it does certainly have implications when a company says that if a media outlet writes negative stories about them, they'll be banned from their events.

Look at how games journalism is a joke nowadays as reviewers can't give bad scores to big titles or else they'll risk pulled sponsorships, removal of access to media copies of the game and other assorted nonsense.

The UFC trying to control the media like this is not a good thing.

I concur that controling the media (or trying to) is not a good thing. However Cage Potato can watch UFC events on PPV, see the interviews posted online, etc. So they still have some way of reporting what's going on. Deadspin became well known without having all the inside information from the companies. I'd say that being on "the outs" with a company like the UFC actually gives them a better chance to report news that would be damaging instead of keeping things "nice" so they get access.

The problem with gaming journalism is in order to do reviews and such you need to the game companies to like you. If you get your copy on release date your review is pretty much worthless and if you don't have companies feeding you promo stuff/previews etc you have nothing to write about. The UFC is a sport so at the very least Cage Potato can cover the events, and preview the fights (since there is no real way from banning those things) so they will always be able to cover the UFC even if they can't get 'in the door' they just need to make their satire/parody/commentary look as such instead of making it abmigious that it's actually news.

edited April 2012
    UFC Offers Hector Lombard A Contract, Bellator May Counter

HectorLombard_large.jpg

Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney has told Sherdog that his Middleweight champion Hector Lombard (31-2-1, 1 NC) has been offered a contract by the UFC. Rebney has the option to match the contract and will make that decision next week.

"We've received the final proposed UFC agreement from Hector's attorney, and right now we are in the process of reviewing it to determine whether we're going to match the agreement. We've got the 60 pages of UFC contract that were forwarded to us by Hector's counsel. We've been waiting on the actual contract itself to see all of the specifics and every conceivable detail and know exactly what is being offered. Now we have something really specific to look at," Rebney told Sherdog.

As part of his Bellator contract, Lombard had to wait a couple of months after his current contract expired before he could talk to competing promotions. Now he is in a period where Bellator has the option of matching any contract offer he receives.

I assume Lombard does not have to accept any such counter-offer but he might be forced to wait an additional time period if Bellator matches the UFC and he doesn't want to re-sign with Bellator. For the 34-year-old Lombard time is of the essence.

"The reality is that Hector is going to do extremely well whether he is fighting in the Octagon or the Bellator circle, and I think everybody knew that. He's one of the best middleweights on the face of the earth," Rebney said. "He hasn't fought in a long time, and he had to wait through these periods contractually to get to a point where he could go out and seek an offer from a competing organization.

"Out of respect for Hector, I think we will turn [the UFC contract] around very quickly," said Rebney. "Obviously, we have a huge event coming up Friday [Bellator 66]. As soon as that is over, we will sit down with our partners and go through the UFC contract line-for-line and make a strategic decision whether we're going to match it or pass. [If we pass, we will] wish him the best and let him go knock out everybody in the UFC."

Let's hope Rebney is true to his word and expedites the process. It's a hard spot for the promotion. Lombard is easily one of their most high-profile fighters along with former Lightweight champ Eddie Alvarez and Welterweight champ Ben Askren.

Alvarez is also nearing the end of his contract and has indicated some interest in signing with the UFC.

According to Bellator's tournament system Lombard should fight Alexander Shlemenko, the most recent MW tournament winner, for the title but Lombard is sitting out his contract and Shlemenko suffered serious injuries in a car wreck, including a broken collar bone.

Regardless it's clear that Lombard has outgrown MMA's #2 organization and is at a now-or-never point with the UFC.

Oh shi-

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    Cage Potato can still buy tickets to public events, they just can't get press credentials or any access beyond what joe shmoe can.

What hath Arriany's mammaries wrought!

HectorLombard_large.jpg

Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney has told Sherdog that his Middleweight champion Hector Lombard (31-2-1, 1 NC) has been offered a contract by the UFC. Rebney has the option to match the contract and will make that decision next week.

"We've received the final proposed UFC agreement from Hector's attorney, and right now we are in the process of reviewing it to determine whether we're going to match the agreement. We've got the 60 pages of UFC contract that were forwarded to us by Hector's counsel. We've been waiting on the actual contract itself to see all of the specifics and every conceivable detail and know exactly what is being offered. Now we have something really specific to look at," Rebney told Sherdog.

As part of his Bellator contract, Lombard had to wait a couple of months after his current contract expired before he could talk to competing promotions. Now he is in a period where Bellator has the option of matching any contract offer he receives.

I assume Lombard does not have to accept any such counter-offer but he might be forced to wait an additional time period if Bellator matches the UFC and he doesn't want to re-sign with Bellator. For the 34-year-old Lombard time is of the essence.

"The reality is that Hector is going to do extremely well whether he is fighting in the Octagon or the Bellator circle, and I think everybody knew that. He's one of the best middleweights on the face of the earth," Rebney said. "He hasn't fought in a long time, and he had to wait through these periods contractually to get to a point where he could go out and seek an offer from a competing organization.

"Out of respect for Hector, I think we will turn [the UFC contract] around very quickly," said Rebney. "Obviously, we have a huge event coming up Friday [Bellator 66]. As soon as that is over, we will sit down with our partners and go through the UFC contract line-for-line and make a strategic decision whether we're going to match it or pass. [If we pass, we will] wish him the best and let him go knock out everybody in the UFC."

Let's hope Rebney is true to his word and expedites the process. It's a hard spot for the promotion. Lombard is easily one of their most high-profile fighters along with former Lightweight champ Eddie Alvarez and Welterweight champ Ben Askren.

Alvarez is also nearing the end of his contract and has indicated some interest in signing with the UFC.

According to Bellator's tournament system Lombard should fight Alexander Shlemenko, the most recent MW tournament winner, for the title but Lombard is sitting out his contract and Shlemenko suffered serious injuries in a car wreck, including a broken collar bone.

Regardless it's clear that Lombard has outgrown MMA's #2 organization and is at a now-or-never point with the UFC.

Oh shi-

Well this should be interesting.

My bet is that Bellator lets him walk. They don't have the money to match a UFC offer for a guy of Lombard's skill, and the UFC desperately needs someone not named Chael Sonnen to put against Silva.

edited April 2012
    Silva? Pssh.

Lombard will obviously be put against his most hated adversary, Josh Barnett, after JB wins the Strikeforce GP.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.

HectorLombard_large.jpg

Oh shi-

Well this should be interesting.

My bet is that Bellator lets him walk. They don't have the money to match a UFC offer for a guy of Lombard's skill, and the UFC desperately needs someone not named Chael Sonnen to put against Silva.

I think you mean the UFC desperately needs someone not named Anderson Silva to put against Sonnen.

This discussion has been closed.