As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Legend of Grimrock] is out now!

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    Can someone remind me what the runes for the level 13 ice spell were? I had the scroll but chucked it because I thought I had it memorised, obviously I don't.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Is that frostbolt? It's upper right and lower right.

Yeah it should be frostbolt, i'll try it thanks.

sig.gif
  • krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    All rogue party started. Just hit the third level of the dungeon, good times so far. Are you able to open the iron doors when you find them, or do you need to back track after you do something?

Depends on the iron door.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Third level will indeed take some time after you find it.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    This game makes me want to load up Wizardry 8 again. Goddamnit.

I am quite eager to see if future xpacs/DLC allow us to use out current parties. There's so many skills you just can't get to with the current level limit.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I'm getting very keen to finish things up now so I can read all these intriguing sounding spoilers that appeared in the last few pages. 10 levels right? I'd only just finished level 3 when Fez stole my heart away, but I'm almsot done with that.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    I started over with an all-rogues party and I've been destroying everything. Down to level 7 now, and both my missile weapon and throwing rogue have the double-attack now. It's ridiculous how well this works.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
    Behemoth wrote: »
    I started over with an all-rogues party and I've been destroying everything. Down to level 7 now, and both my missile weapon and throwing rogue have the double-attack now. It's ridiculous how well this works.

Yeah, ranged attacks not requiring a to-hit state is pretty silly. Toss in double throw/double shoot and suddenly things get nuts.

Capture.jpg~original
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm getting very keen to finish things up now so I can read all these intriguing sounding spoilers that appeared in the last few pages. 10 levels right? I'd only just finished level 3 when Fez stole my heart away, but I'm almsot done with that.

Lowest level is 13 actually.

Speaking of those recent spoilers, I started over again in that mode:
    I had gotten into level 6 on my replay, and decided to start over on Hard mode, Old School on. So far I've made it down to level 5 in almost half the time of the previous normal run, though god damn do things hit hard. I have a much better skill point plan and am going swords instead of axes this time. Not going to hit 50 in Swords until character level 13 though unfortunately.

My build will be ensuring the maximum possible Energy pool I can manage at that point though. I've also been saving right at level ups to get the maximum possible Energy increase each time. Luckily, I'll be grabbing the Conjurer's Hat on level 5 here, which will add another point to my Energy pools... as long as I remember to wear it for level ups anyway.

On level 6 I will be beelining for the Spirit Mirror Amulet and then the Orb of Radiance, though I don't remember if it gives +1 or +2 Willpower... if it's only +1 I don't think it'll be useful yet. After I get the amulet and finish level 6, I may hop back up to level 3 and hit the slime room for bonus exp...

Dranyth on
  • Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    I got completely stymied on level 9. I can't find any way forward, and have been completely unable to figure out the hall of pillars. Is there any clues whatsoever for that damn hall? And just a clue. I want to figure it out manually. The only other puzzle I couldn't figure out on my own I think was actually bugged as the "clue" next to it didn't actually work.

I got completely stymied on level 9. I can't find any way forward, and have been completely unable to figure out the hall of pillars. Is there any clues whatsoever for that damn hall? And just a clue. I want to figure it out manually. The only other puzzle I couldn't figure out on my own I think was actually bugged as the "clue" next to it didn't actually work.

The tapestries can be destroyed. Be sure to pick up everything, never know where you'll need it. There are in-game hints to the puzzles on that floor, you should have found them by now if you've been to the hall of pillars.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    These kinds of games were a lot more enjoyable when I was blissfully unaware of how many secrets there are to find. I remember finding new things in the fourth and fifth play throughs.

I also had so many fewer games to play, though.

In other news, Minotaurs seem to make the best everything, if everything means making the annoying stuff less so.
    The extra strength means carrying a full suit of heavy armor and a crate of meat to boot.
    Extra vitality means you can take a whole lot more damage and avoid getting poisoned much less frequently.
    The minor drawback of less dex can at least be mitigated with your spare points. Their is no real need for willpower for your melee classes and having more than one zero mages is proving to be a bit more frustrating than one may have hoped. Although I understand that there is one secret that you must have an actual mage to access.
    In any case a minotaur mage still makes good arguments for the much improved survivability when you do get AoE'd or caught in some of the more punishing traps.

Lanrutcon wrote: »

The tapestries can be destroyed. Be sure to pick up everything, never know where you'll need it. There are in-game hints to the puzzles on that floor, you should have found them by now if you've been to the hall of pillars.

.... I was wondering about that. And seriously, if there are clues to the hall of pillars they must be behind the tapestries.

edited April 2012
    Carrying capacity means little in this game. You can put stuff down and it'll stay there, so consider the entire dungeon as your stash (you even get convenient amount of boxes and sacks!). I arranged all my extra food into funny shapes on floor 6 for kicks. Ended the game with about a dozen supply caches spanning the entire dungeon, probably totaling over 70 pieces of food and 40 torches.
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

.... I was wondering about that. And seriously, if there are clues to the hall of pillars they must be behind the tapestries.

:)

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Having something on your cursor doesn't count against anyone's capacity and items are persistent. So fill a crate with that irritating 3kg food and just cursor carry it.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Also, all foods fill the same amount of the bar, so eat the heaviest stuff first.

Battletag BYToady#1454
    I cleared out the dismantlers vault last night, in what I think was probably a fairly impressive speed. Too bad I have no use for swords.

sig.gif
    edited April 2012
    Yes weight capacity is not the end all, but it does solve annoyances. My level 9 party's fighter in heavy armor has a starting strength of 10. This limits him to his armor and weapon and maybe a steak. Strength also gives you damage bonus, even if not to much. Also, some food does restore a bit less, roasted maggots come to mind. I think all of the 1kg or higher foods restore the same amount though.

Im also not the type to just leave stuff around that "might" be useful. Im just not trained that way damnit! I have over 30 bombs now! Ill need those someday! That day being 4 levels ago on the fighters challenge.

Blood Drive on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Although I understand that there is one secret that you must have an actual mage to access.

Not to my knowledge. The only situation that requires magic can be duplicated by an item you find nearby.
    One floor has a "mage's entrance" that requires shooting a fireball at one of the demon faces, but you get a fire sword nearby that does the same thing. Just have to make sure you don't use up all its charges before then (which isn't really likely).

However, one of the most useful items in the game is unusable without a mage.
    Floor 6, the Orb of Radiance, an infinite light source that requires someone with 5 in Spellcraft to use.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    Although I understand that there is one secret that you must have an actual mage to access.

Not to my knowledge. The only situation that requires magic can be duplicated by an item you find nearby.
    One floor has a "mage's entrance" that requires shooting a fireball at one of the demon faces, but you get a fire sword nearby that does the same thing. Just have to make sure you don't use up all its charges before then (which isn't really likely).

Floor 6, the Orb of Radiance, an infinite light source that requires someone with 5 in Spellcraft to use.

Thank you for the clarification, I thought you needed a mage with that much skill to actually get it. My double fighter, double rogue rock thrower team is a go!

• CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular

I would object to saying that item is the most useful *throws another torch on the ground* I am doing just fine without the torches, better in some situations even IMHO where the torches on walls may light up an area but then nearby it like does an "your eyes adjust" thing and puts an alcove in pitch black. My game is on default settings and I am not looking at pitch black without a torch, not feeling any eye strain either, and it often feels like I find secrets easier with no light source as well.

steam_sig.png
  • IslandIsland Registered User regular
    Jakorian wrote: »
    I only found out that pits aren't bottomless on level 3, is there any good treasure in the pits on level 1/ 2?
    Also wheres the first place to get a bow? I saw a zombie using one but it dissapears when he dies.

Would also like to know if I need to backtrack to levels 1 and 2 to throw myself into pits. (think there is only 2 or 3)

camo_sig.png
    I did the same thing, and I'm faily certian my backtracking for 1/2 pits resulted in nothing.

sig.gif
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    How. How do you get that book on level 4. I see it from the grid, and can't touch it. I've advanced the rest of the floor, and completed the next one too, and yet I still haven't found the way. I'm giving up and asking you guys.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    krylon666 wrote: »
    All rogue party started. Just hit the third level of the dungeon, good times so far. Are you able to open the iron doors when you find them, or do you need to back track after you do something?

All of the iron doors can be opened with items/puzzles that exist on their level except for the iron door on
    level 11. Which can be opened with an item that appears iirc, on levels 2 and 7
    Drascin wrote: »
    How. How do you get that book on level 4. I see it from the grid, and can't touch it. I've advanced the rest of the floor, and completed the next one too, and yet I still haven't found the way. I'm giving up and asking you guys.
    Full description
    So you see how you have to throw an item to open up the portal? Well, note that if you toss instead of attack the item you toss does not come out to the left of you. But when you throw, things go three tiles and the teleporter is only 2 tiles away from you...
    stick a rock on the timed teleport pressure plate and then stand on the second trap door which has been flipped up by completing the puzzle until the portal opens

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I would object to saying that item is the most useful *throws another torch on the ground* I am doing just fine without the torches, better in some situations even IMHO where the torches on walls may light up an area but then nearby it like does an "your eyes adjust" thing and puts an alcove in pitch black. My game is on default settings and I am not looking at pitch black without a torch, not feeling any eye strain either, and it often feels like I find secrets easier with no light source as well.

It's a convenience thing. Same as having high strength so you can carry more. People say "pshh I don't need strength, I'm min/maxing and making the absolute best party possible," but ultimately I am spending my time playing this game, and anything that saves time means more time to do other things, whether that means not having to squint or juggle equipment or click runes every few minutes or whatever.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular

It's a convenience thing. Same as having high strength so you can carry more. People say "pshh I don't need strength, I'm min/maxing and making the absolute best party possible," but ultimately I am spending my time playing this game, and anything that saves time means more time to do other things, whether that means not having to squint or juggle equipment or click runes every few minutes or whatever.

Oh I get that, it was one bit silly, the other bit convenience also on my part of not holding a torch. The part that surprises me though is you are squinting in the dark in this game? Huh, that's why I mentioned no eye strain on my part in the dark, no squinting here. Different monitors thing or something maybe?

steam_sig.png
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    So leveling up my Mage feels kind of useless as I haven't found any new spells for him in awhile. I am tempted to cheat and look up the spells online.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • LuqLuq Registered User regular
    Don't do it Useless. Just try random rune combinations until you get one that works! Well that works for the spells that only have 1 or 2 runes at least. Those with 3 and 4 are much more of a PITA to guess until you learn at least one spell of it's "type" and you get an idea of what each rune can do. The just plain damage spells like poison and poison bolt are pretty easy to guess. As are the elemental shield spells.

FFRK:jWwH RW:Onion Knight's Sage USB
    Holy shit, this light dance puzzle.

This is the worst.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    BYToady wrote: »
    Also, all foods fill the same amount of the bar, so eat the heaviest stuff first.

Actually they do not. Its just not proportional to their weight. Heavier foods fill more, but lighter foods fill more per Kg

wbBv3fj.png

This is the worst.

The strafing one? I loved that one.

Magus` wrote: »

This is the worst.

The strafing one? I loved that one.

Is there a trick to it?

Not that I'm aware. Make sure no one has 'yellow' weight or you won't be fast enough?

I guess I just don't have the patience for it then. I tired for a good 15 minutes. I swear that getting to one of the arrows mean moving faster then is possible for your party.

What do you get for it anyway?

opens the iron door and iirc completes the chitin set

wbBv3fj.png
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    On my special mode, hard, old school run, floor 10:
    Well, I just hit level 13 and have Swords leveled to 50 finally. I'm sitting at 207 health and 196 146 energy and I expect to hit level 14 before I'm done (should mean 213 health and 205 155 energy at that point).

Hasn't been too bad really, though inventory management (weight) has been a pain. I'm actually using the crown from floor 9 because of the +3 Strength, even though it drops my protection from not using the chitin helm. I do need to run back and grab the many bombs I left at the exit from floor 8... and I'm considering heading back up to do the fighter's challenge now so I can get the Shield of Valor, though since I just left off on the room leading to the Shield of Elements, I'll at least grab that first. I can't actually remember how comparable the evasion stats of the two are, guess I'll jump into my party's save and see.

As far as the fighter's challenge... I might have to pop a speed potion. Muhahahahaha!

Edit: Whoops, forgot I was counting having my two orbs equipped, which I only do for level ups.

Dranyth on