As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dungeon Defenders] - Dungeon Defenders II: The Dungeoning coming soon! Free-to-play!

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    i was hoping to give it shot with roland tonight, if people want to jump in. would be medium or hard most likely since i am only level 15 i think

camo_sig.png
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Aaaaand patch 7.29 dropped, with the usual list of minor improvements:
    * Fixed City In the Cliffs mob group-stuck area
    * Fixed City In the Cliffs floating Mana Tokens
    * Tavern Pause menu now shows up to 16 Player entries
    * Male Bounty Hunter and Female Amazonian each have their own unique character portraits
    * City in the Cliffs now gives 25% more build time, each chest has 30% more Mana, and there are 25% less Wyverns in the Campaign/Survival mission
    * Changed Harpoon Tower to aim at center-of-target, rather than with an aim-offset, resolving harpoon missing case
    * Fixed issues of incorrect Buff Beam Defense-boosting count, and that Buff Beam couldn't be placed under middle section of walls
    * Overhaul to Tavern Shop item generation, now can and will have highest-end items, but at a greater sale price for those items
    * Mission Setup UI now remembers your Survival/PureStrat/MixMode settings when you return from a mission
    * Toggling between Windowed and Fullscreen modes (Alt-Enter) no longer loses your previous fullscreen resolution
    * Fixed GameSpy matchmaking search capabilities to be consistent with Steamworks' search

* Minimum Level Requirement on Hosted Games is automatically set based on Host's level (to allow low-level players to see more low-level games in their searches). Can be reset manually, and doesn't affect AFK Shops. Uses the following level brackets:

Minimum Host Level | Auto Level Requirement
    0 | 0
    14 | 7
    25 | 14
    35 | 22
    45 | 33
    60 | 42
    70 | 60
    78 | 74

* 25% Bounty Hunter HP boost and 25% less Movement Speed [community-polled]

* Optimized portal rendering so that off-screen portals don't consume FPS, can reduce low framerate associated with other players using the portal gun

* Updated DDDK to 7.29
    I'm sure they messed something up that will require a 7.29b patch. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The bounty hunter buff is awesome.

Speed is pretty worthless, especially at NM levels when I have +355 to it with no points in it.

• RobesRobes Registered User regular
    It sounds like transcendent items will be available at shop?

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
    Morkath wrote: »
    The bounty hunter buff is awesome.

Speed is pretty worthless, especially at NM levels when I have +355 to it with no points in it.
    I don't know. Speed caps out at 100 points regardless of how many points you have from gear or stats. The difference in speed between male and female characters is above and beyond the points put into it. I.E. A Squire with 500 Speed will still move slower than a Countess at 100 Speed. For characters with a speed buff (like Squires and Barbarians), this isn't a big deal. For characters like Series EV, though, it's a tactical choice. Being able to get to defenses and repair them in time is an essential skill in NM mode (which often becomes a repair-fest on certain stages and builds). And, of course, Speed is much more important on higher difficulty Assaults, where most of the time is spent moving from one objective to another. This is one reason why Countesses are valued more highly than Barbarians on Assaults (the other being Joust).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Man, that new map. Can't Duo with a friend on insane. It's one or a few things:

1. Our builders don't cut it at 800/800/600/700 roughly.
    2. Our build sucks. We're doing EV, App, couple poons for AA.
    3. not having a 3rd person, one at each crystal is hurting us.
    4. Mini-ogres hit too hard.

It could one or more or a combo, but I think I'm shelving it for now until we get a 3rd person, better building stats, or can find a decent build. I'm thinking build and builders at this point. We had a poon completely fail hitting a wyvern on one attempt, so maybe the change they made to where it aims screwed us, I do not know.

Guess I'll try some more Misty survival or NM misty for gear, since I've never tried.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
    If you are using an App and EV combination, there's no reason you should be using Harpoons for Anti-Air (unless your squire has 1500 Attack or more). A pair of Magic Missile turrets will work better and they can cover each other against spiders. With two people, I would strongly suggest making a rock-solid build for the 3rd crystal so you essentially don't have to babysit it, leaving you free to cut down swarms at the other crystals. The Southern Crystal is a good candidate for this. You can place walls and a buff beam at the red chokepoint listed on my previous post with the map. I would suggest a MM and a DST covering the crystal (also to take out spiders), and a mix of other towers facing the chokepoint. Make sure everything is buff beamed. In nearly every situation (except for a single MM), a buff beam + a tower or multiple towers is more effective than simply building more towers. Also, there are quite a few locations you can lay down Proton Beams on walkways.

The person guarding the West crystal can shoot down at the spawns to the North (there's an open balcony overlooking the pit spawn), while the person guarding the East crystal can stand on the Crystal and have clear LOS to the chokepoints on both sides.

You should be able to do this map on Insane with your stats, with a bit of trial and error.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Yea the trial and error part was what wore on us after a few rounds. We hadn't tried buff beams though. We did try the proton beam on that crystal but we were getting wrecked regardless.

steam_sig.png
    I did a successful NMHC run of it with my huntress and 5 pubbies last week. I was defending the west crystal solo with 3x harpoons, 2 blockades (1 was a bouncing) in the suggested spots you listed (blue and red spots on the map), and a bowling ball turret next to the bottom chokepoint (red spot).

The biggest problem I had to deal with was djinss and wyvrens. Like in Karthiki, the wyvrens fly in at such an awkard angle that the poons just don't really hit them. They turned out be very unreliable, and most of them died from my minigun. Hopefully the patch fixed poon turrets though. We eventually put down an ensnare aura over the crystal to slow down the wyvrens which helped a bit.

To the spawn point directly north of that west crystal, Djinn would frequetly just spawn there and float right up and attempt to zap that blockade.

Having at least 1 person at each crystal is crucial, especially at the ones with wyvrens.
    Hope that helps a little bit!

edited April 2012
    Yea the trial and error part was what wore on us after a few rounds. We hadn't tried buff beams though. We did try the proton beam on that crystal but we were getting wrecked regardless.
    There's your problem. The Tower Buff Beams are god. You will get more than 3 times the DPS out of the buffed towers by the time the Buff Beams are maxed out (and probably around double DPS if you don't).

With any tower above 4 DU, placing a 4 DU buff beam to buff a single tower is probably better than placing two of that tower. To put it another way: For 10 DU, you can have 2 Fireball towers. For 9 DU, you can have a Buff Beam and a Fireball tower that does double damage and fires 50% faster (or more, depending on your EV's tower stats). It is well worth the investment. The damage vs. DU benefit only gets better if you buff more towers with a buff beam.

The disadvantages include losing a buff beam if a single defense being buffed goes down (ouch! This can make auras touching a buff beam a liability, since they are often targeted by Djinn out of tower range), and clumping your defenses (which make it more vulnerable to spiders). But pretty much all builds post-EV involve using a Tower Buff Beam somewhere in the build to maximize DPS.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Yea, we didn't use them because of the first wave of build the defenses and buff beams after, which we should probably rethink. But then again my buddy was doubling towers at our weakest points that got overrun on the last 2 times we tried, which we should be switching to buff beams.

We just got frazzled by the final couple attempts and could have have a better strategy.

steam_sig.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, buff beams are pretty amazing and can be worked into a lot of defenses.

edit: I mean check out this setup, it was really fucking effective with the buff beams there and the shields protecting us all from projectiles and such.
    http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/559812102286070475/B3DBBB3763EE27BC08F7CEA5DA048E78546A341F/

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    O cruel fate!

I was playing Magus Quarters on Hard Survival, made it to wave 12. I'm watching everything die to my defenses when I see it. An egg. And I have 27 in my inventory. Joy!

Only problem is, I've currently got a full inventory due to picking up other items during that wave. Oh well, I'll nab it after the wave and squee then.

Almost at the end of the wave, and the wyverns come out in swarms. Usually my harpoon cannons are up to the task. Not this time. This time about a dozen make it past them and go after my crystal. I'm slicing away as best I can, but it's no use. The crystal shatters and egg #28 disappears into the void.

The worst part? If I had been playing my EV instead of my Countess (to level her), I could've saved the situation with a Holo Decoy / Cannon combo. AAAAGH!

Erm, why do you have 27 eggs? Are you saving them up for something? You only need 24 for the costume.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    So, I beat the first boss in the Alchemical Lab yesterday, and what should pop up in my tavern for purchase for 100 mana, but a small egg.

25+mil for a level 11 character is a godsend. I'm also playing a huntress with the Ann skin, named rather obviously AnneArchy, and whenever I pub, you'd be shocked at how often people drop mana for me, even though I'm DPS specced and using it to upgrade their towers.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
    edited April 2012
    24? I thought you were supposed to collect 28. Where are you supposed to turn them in?

Man in the Mists on
    I came up with a Huntress/ Apprentice/ EV solo NMHC GHC layout. I'm looking to beat it tonight since it's the last map I need in NMHC mode. I'd appreciate it if you guys could give it a look over and give your thoughts on it. My thoughts/notes on it are in the description. Thank you.

http://ddplanner.com/?l=2846,nmhc-ghc

edited April 2012
    24? I thought you were supposed to collect 28. Where are you supposed to turn them in?
    Just have all 24 in your Item Box (not your Hero Shop). You may have to relog before the eggs disappear, giving you the costume. They have to be 24 "Eggs" (not Large or Humongous or whatever).

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited April 2012
    Robes wrote: »
    I came up with a Huntress/ Apprentice/ EV solo NMHC GHC layout. I'm looking to beat it tonight since it's the last map I need in NMHC mode. I'd appreciate it if you guys could give it a look over and give your thoughts on it. My thoughts/notes on it are in the description. Thank you.

The Gas Trap idea is sound, but the Darkness Traps are unnecessary. I'd just stack another MM tower or add a Lightning tower instead. Darkness Traps are more for Survival layouts.

At the north crystal, I'd drag back your defenses near the crystal. Place traps on the steps, a wall at the base of the steps, and have the towers angled so they shoot at the crystal and toward the steps. This way, you take out both Spiders and enemies at that chokepoint.

A mix of Lightning + MM + Fireball will probably serve you better in NM than a pair of Fireballs.

At the East crystal, drag the wall back to the L-shaped angle near the crystal and cover the crystal + wall combo with a MM tower. There are spiders that drop near that crystal that will wreck your East defenses, and a MM tower will be sufficient. Also, it is rare for enemies to head to that crystal from the center spawn if you drag the wall back to the East.

At the Center Crystal, you can buff 2 whole lines of towers with a single buff beam. I'd place the buff beam/towers near the West side of the Center Crystal, since the main problem at that chokepoint is Kobolds from the West spawn.

At the West Crystal, you should probably spread the defenses out a bit more (again, Spiders). I use a DST to take out spiders and any occasional enemies that approach from the East side.

If you are having trouble holding the defenses up against Ogres, it might be a good idea to drop a weak Strength Drain at the walls, to buy time for you.

I indicated most of the changes on this setup:
    http://ddplanner.com/?l=2862,nm-hc-glitterhelm-quick-setup

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    What do the different eggs do? I know the eggs give you the costume, and the hugmongous ones give you the Mega-Chicken pet, but what do the large ones do?

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
    Penumbra wrote: »
    What do the different eggs do? I know the eggs give you the costume, and the hugmongous ones give you the Mega-Chicken pet, but what do the large ones do?
    Give you mana when you sell them. :D I don't think eggs (other than Humongous and regular Eggs) actually do anything.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Robes wrote: »

The Gas Trap idea is sound, but the Darkness Traps are unnecessary. I'd just stack another MM tower or add a Lightning tower instead. Darkness Traps are more for Survival layouts.

At the north crystal, I'd drag back your defenses near the crystal. Place traps on the steps, a wall at the base of the steps, and have the towers angled so they shoot at the crystal and toward the steps. This way, you take out both Spiders and enemies at that chokepoint.

A mix of Lightning + MM + Fireball will probably serve you better in NM than a pair of Fireballs.

At the East crystal, drag the wall back to the L-shaped angle near the crystal and cover the crystal + wall combo with a MM tower. There are spiders that drop near that crystal that will wreck your East defenses, and a MM tower will be sufficient. Also, it is rare for enemies to head to that crystal from the center spawn if you drag the wall back to the East.

At the Center Crystal, you can buff 2 whole lines of towers with a single buff beam. I'd place the buff beam/towers near the West side of the Center Crystal, since the main problem at that chokepoint is Kobolds from the West spawn.

At the West Crystal, you should probably spread the defenses out a bit more (again, Spiders). I use a DST to take out spiders and any occasional enemies that approach from the East side.

If you are having trouble holding the defenses up against Ogres, it might be a good idea to drop a weak Strength Drain at the walls, to buy time for you.

I indicated most of the changes on this setup:
    http://ddplanner.com/?l=2862,nm-hc-glitterhelm-quick-setup

It's actually pretty impressive how you can revise that setup and make it into a much more compact defense. I didn't even think about combining the middle defenses.

Thanks!

steam_sig.png
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular

I hope you locked that. I'd buy it from you, I need a new dps pet.

I did lock it. It's just one of those pets where you're like, if only it was on a ______ pet. I don't hate steambots, but I do on Melee dudes.

steam_sig.png
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    lock what now?

camo_sig.png
    mts wrote: »
    lock what now?
    You can Lock items in the Tavernkeeper, if you want to keep them without having them rerolled after a mission.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Special thanks to Hahns and Fonz for helping me finish my companion cube (Its a white one!)!

Also thanks to TNT, Darmak, and everyone else who helped in the long quest to get there.

Hmm, should I or shouldn't I? I've got this little guy sitting in my shop (not shown is its 23 upgrade levels and level 30 requirement):

33uy4w9.png

If you saw it in your shop and you were about level 30, would you grab it?

• SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Eh if you want him, not like 800k is hard to earn later anyway.

It's not like 800k was hard to earn now, thanks to the eggs I sold. I've got about 2 million at the moment.

edited April 2012
    Special thanks to Hahns and Fonz for helping me finish my companion cube (Its a white one!)!

Also thanks to TNT, Darmak, and everyone else who helped in the long quest to get there.
    Yes, congratulations. Welcome to the Companion Cube Club! I'm glad I worked out a good Warping Core build before we got you there, though, because that was traditionally the worst Challenge to complete.

Now the dubious distinction of worst challenge probably goes to Wizardry. Ugh.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Hmm, should I or shouldn't I? I've got this little guy sitting in my shop (not shown is its 23 upgrade levels and level 30 requirement):

If you saw it in your shop and you were about level 30, would you grab it?
    I'd personally pass on it. There are pets that are lower level req and more useful (and cheaper, too!).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited April 2012
    Beat the City map on HC Insane DUO last night. Got some pretty good rewards, mythical's and mythical pet. Hans was correct, buff beams made all the difference. EV Beams and walls and harpoons the first round, spackled with some MM towers with leftover and filling the rest during wave 2.

Hard HC also gave mythicals as rewards upon beating it. I think 1 or 2 dropped on the final round too.

Side note too, if you don't have the PA Skin pack, theres a 17 unit giveaway on steamgifts.
    http://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/ar5dZ/dungeon-defenders-penny-arcade-character-pack

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    New Dungeon Defenders Digest is up:
    http://forums.trendyent.com/showthread.php?56529-DunDef-Digest-4-19-12&p=430482#post430482

Highlights:
    * Map Design contest. Make a map, win 1000 bucks.
    * Shards 3 comes out April 26. The new boss is indeed a Kraken.
    * Accessories also coming that week.
    * Jetpack Bounty Hunter model will be the reward for Transcendant Survivalist (or whatever that ridiculous cheevo is).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Question about a build:

On my solo HCNM ES build, I typically build a grouping of 3 magic walls in each section of the corridor leading to the crytals, as the top of the stairs. I use only DS towers for damage, 3 sets of 3, each with a buff beam. And then an ensnare aura on each choke. This build uses every available DU.

My EV's tower HP is far superior to my App's, and the difference in HP at a level 1 phsyical wall and a magic wall is something around 7000 hp. Would it be better to build 4 physical walls or continue to use the 12 magic walls?

Question about a build:

On my solo HCNM ES build, I typically build a grouping of 3 magic walls in each section of the corridor leading to the crytals, as the top of the stairs. I use only DS towers for damage, 3 sets of 3, each with a buff beam. And then an ensnare aura on each choke. This build uses every available DU.

My EV's tower HP is far superior to my App's, and the difference in HP at a level 1 phsyical wall and a magic wall is something around 7000 hp. Would it be better to build 4 physical walls or continue to use the 12 magic walls?

I use EV's walls, but then again, I use App/Squire for Damage towers. App's for covering the harpoons mostly. I don't typically use App walls for it, but I usually Duo and it makes building easier if we split up who builds what.

steam_sig.png
    Question about a build:

I prefer the series ev walls. it will be easier for you to upgrade 3 ev walls instead of 9 blockades.

• eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    Ok, I take everything back about having fun and being challenged in this game...

...I've poured hundreds of millions into my gear now. A ranger with +572 health which gives 30942 hit points on NMHC, and 66, 50, 45, 46 in resists... yet, I die INSTANTLY when I get hit by a trap or certain towers on Challenge: Assault.

What the flying fuck?

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
    eobet wrote: »
    Ok, I take everything back about having fun and being challenged in this game...

...I've poured hundreds of millions into my gear now. A ranger with +572 health which gives 30942 hit points on NMHC, and 66, 50, 45, 46 in resists... yet, I die INSTANTLY when I get hit by a trap or certain towers on Challenge: Assault.

What the flying fuck?

The assault map from the campaign or the assault map from the lost eternia shards?
    If you've poured hundreds of millions into your gear, you should have 90% physical resist in NM mode.

This discussion has been closed.