As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Presidential Election Thread] All Hail the Liberty Rooster.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    People seem to forget that the Tea Party has always existed and is now trying to be rubbed out by the GOP leadership.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    There was a NYT article a couple days ago about how Obama's organization was trying to make a play in Arizona.

Arizona

little heavy on the "hope" there guys

If they have the money for it, I say keep up the 50 state strategy. New Mexico has either been really razor close or has gone blue the last few presidential elections. Arizona has a sorta-kinda-close-ish set of demographics as NM. New Mexico is 45% Hispanic and Arizona is 29% Hispanic. Even with massive voter disenfranchisement I would expect more latinos to come out and vote against the GOP this time. Hell, McCain only won the state by 8% and its his own state. Even if Obama doesn't win it I would imagine they could get that to within 2-3% and would be more in play the next go round.

Keep up? More like create one. And fuck yes do they need that.

The '08 Obama campaign had a pretty good presence even in deep red states.

Yeah Obama continued the Dean 50 state strategy in 08. Dems gained 21 seats and 8 Senators after gaining 31 and 6 in 06. They gave it back in '10 (recession and traditional midterm reaction + GOP midterm advantage wooo) but after 08 Dems controlled the two elected branches of government strongly. The things that held Obama from fully implementing his agenda? Having 59 D Senators instead of 60 and those Dems elected in red districts who either lacked courage of conviction or who might as well have been Republicans in many ways.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    mindsporkmindspork Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Isn't the Paul Ryan budget the one that claims to generate a ridiculous amount of revenue from closing tax loopholes, without any sort of explanation of which loopholes or any sign that Republicans would be willing to legislate said loophole closures?

Yes, and even when the CBO took it as read it creates a bigger deficit than Obama's budget would. So, moral imperatives and all.

Wasn't the Ryan budget the one the CBO looked and went "We're not sure how this would actually work, so this is our best guess." in essence?

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Romney needs to shore up so many minority votes, I wouldn't be surprised if the Palin-cynicism prevails again and he digs up some unknown Hispanic pro-life woman.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    There was a NYT article a couple days ago about how Obama's organization was trying to make a play in Arizona.

Arizona

If they have the money for it, I say keep up the 50 state strategy. New Mexico has either been really razor close or has gone blue the last few presidential elections. Arizona has a sorta-kinda-close-ish set of demographics as NM. New Mexico is 45% Hispanic and Arizona is 29% Hispanic. Even with massive voter disenfranchisement I would expect more latinos to come out and vote against the GOP this time. Hell, McCain only won the state by 8% and its his own state. Even if Obama doesn't win it I would imagine they could get that to within 2-3% and would be more in play the next go round.

More Mormons in Arizona (think it's second to Utah) and they're conservative plus obviously Mitt. But yeah, if you can make the GOP defend Arizona, you've basically won.

Ah, didn't know that part about the Mormons. That will certainly make it harder.

Very true. I'm going to keep saying this all election season. Do not underestimate the Mormon Church. This is their shot at almost direct influence over a President, in an election season with no meaningful spending limits. They are going to go all out, and they are more than willing to strongarm their own members to do it.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Romney needs to shore up so many minority votes, I wouldn't be surprised if the Palin-cynicism prevails again and he digs up some unknown Hispanic pro-life woman.
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Arizona

More Mormons in Arizona (think it's second to Utah) and they're conservative plus obviously Mitt. But yeah, if you can make the GOP defend Arizona, you've basically won.

Ah, didn't know that part about the Mormons. That will certainly make it harder.

Very true. I'm going to keep saying this all election season. Do not underestimate the Mormon Church. This is their shot at almost direct influence over a President, in an election season with no meaningful spending limits. They are going to go all out, and they are more than willing to strongarm their own members to do it.

Also don't underestimate the attitude of No True Christian that exists in our country.

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    All I know is I remember how I got burned on Prop 8, and they were the largest factor in that. I am keeping an eye on them.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    mindspork wrote: »
    Isn't the Paul Ryan budget the one that claims to generate a ridiculous amount of revenue from closing tax loopholes, without any sort of explanation of which loopholes or any sign that Republicans would be willing to legislate said loophole closures?

Yes, and even when the CBO took it as read it creates a bigger deficit than Obama's budget would. So, moral imperatives and all.

Wasn't the Ryan budget the one the CBO looked and went "We're not sure how this would actually work, so this is our best guess." in essence?

Yeah it was. The budget basically said we will offset these tax cuts with some spending cuts and closing these tax loop holes. Then it failed to give any sort of specifics on those spending cuts and tax loopholes. So its hard for the CBO to score a budget that has little to no detail.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    mindsporkmindspork Registered User regular

Hispanic, pro-life, religious... not to be kinda stereotypical, but I think the only thing that might drive the evangelicals more nutso than a Mormon/Mormon ticket would be a Mormon/Catholic one.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Pawlenty is an interesting choice, if they go the route you said, picking a moderate (rest of board, by Republican standards, Pawlenty counts) I could see him getting the nod.

Ahhhhh the coveted Mormon/Mormon ticket.

I doubt they'll go in that direction.

Edit: Wait, did I get my dropouts confused? Huntsman was the other mormon, wasn't he? My bad :(

Haha freaked me out for a second there.

Huntsman would actually have been a decent fit for Romney, were it not for their shared faith. FoPo guy and the businessman.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Romney can't pick a moderate, he needs someone who pleases the conservatives, particularly the hard-core Teapers. I also don't get how you think Ryan would out-debate Biden, he's shown no actual ability to back up his ideas with details.

Romney could easily pick a moderate. Tea Partiers would rather vote for a moderate than re-elect Obama.

Or they'd just not vote.

Or compel Paul to try another third party run.

No, they'll show up. They'll show up on issues alone if they have to.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options

Hispanic, pro-life, religious... not to be kinda stereotypical, but I think the only thing that might drive the evangelicals more nutso than a Mormon/Mormon ticket would be a Mormon/Catholic one.

Meh, Santorum is Catholic. If you get extreme Fundamentalist Council of Trent Catholic, you might as well be evangelical.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

I dunno, they didn't seem to mind Santorum.

• Options
    Also, MITT ROMNEY IS SO FUCKING BAD AT THIS:
    "I'm not sure about these cookies," Mr. Romney said. "They came from the local 7-Eleven bakery or whatever."

Said of Bethel Bakery's cookies, basically a Pittsburgh institution, when he didn't even try the food.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/neighborhoods-south/bethel-bakery-runs-cookiegate-special-after-romney-diss-631969/

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    "I'm not sure about these cookies," Mr. Romney said. "They came from the local 7-Eleven bakery or whatever."

Said of Bethel Bakery's cookies, basically a Pittsburgh institution, when he didn't even try the food.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/neighborhoods-south/bethel-bakery-runs-cookiegate-special-after-romney-diss-631969/

...7-Eleven bakery...

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    The reason I worry is that recent polls that I have been hearing about have shown a marked advantage for Obama, with a 7 point lead being the lowest I remember. Then this "poll of polls" shows up with a 2 point lead for Obama, and aren't averages of polls supposed to be more robust than individual polls or something to that effect? Basically if 45% of this country can right now say they prefer Romney to Obama, that is something that really bothers me.

Prepare to stay bothered - I don't know if Romney will win but I feel comfortable saying he'll at least get 45% of the vote.
    Prepare to be less bothered, 45% of the 60% that actually vote is closer to 27% which is the crazification factor.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular

Mitt Romney 2012

Believe in America... or Whatever

• Options
    You can vote http://micropoll.com/t/LEq9sZLp6I for where PPP will poll this w/e. NM is in the lead, I voted for Iowa which is behind TX, VA and OH.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular

Eh, it would be nice if politicians didn't have to try and pretend to like every food from some well known local establishment. I would hope that no one would take his cookie slight and factor it into their decision for president, but who am I kidding? This is 'Merica!

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options

Eh, it would be nice if politicians didn't have to try and pretend to like every food from some well known local establishment. I would hope that no one would take his cookie slight and factor it into their decision for president, but who am I kidding? This is 'Merica!

A lot of campaigning is BS. Being able to do that BS is actually not a bad test on how you'd do as President. Its highly stressful, you need to always be on your game and you need to be able to put together a highly competent and skilled staff (and manage them) to get shit done. Saying they were 7-11 cookies was an obvious gaffe. Its meaningless in itself but it does demonstrate a tendency to make mistakes and if done internationally it could be at least a headache diplomatically.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

The point isn't that he didn't like the cookies, the point isn't that he compared a local landmark to a chain of low-quality mass produced cookie-like food product, it's that he just doesn't care.

Seriously, he can't even be bothered to think about the people he wants to represent as President. He literally doesn't give a shit. Obama eating at a Five Guys is a photo-op, certainly, but at least he'll eat the damn burger. I don't know for sure if he cares, but at least he tries to pretend to do so. There are a bunch of big things and a million little things that impact the lives of every day Americans. Asking the President to have an in-depth understanding of all of them is vain and selfish and unreasonable. But the very least we can expect from our President is that, when presented with something that is important to people, he tries to a least fake interested.

I guess what I'm saying is; what he said doesn't bother me all that much, but he could at least have the decency to lie.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Romney can't pick a moderate, he needs someone who pleases the conservatives, particularly the hard-core Teapers. I also don't get how you think Ryan would out-debate Biden, he's shown no actual ability to back up his ideas with details.

Romney could easily pick a moderate. Tea Partiers would rather vote for a moderate than re-elect Obama.

But would they rather vote for a moderate than stay home in disgust, polishing their guns and muttering ominously about "the guv'mint"?

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options

Not saying it should decide votes, but that is a pretty shitty way to treat people who give you a gift, especially since he hadn't even tried them.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    also does 7-11 even have a bakery? Or even a pastry case? I think the most I've ever seen is some wrapped Hostess/Entenmanns.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    I guess what I'm saying is; what he said doesn't bother me all that much, but he could at least have the decency to lie.

It's not even that! It's that he consistently whiffs the softballs! Shit, this isn't even a softball, this is a tee-ball.

"Hey, a local bakery donated these cookies."

A) That was very kind of them
    B) These are incredible
    C) I'm running to help more local businesses become successful
    D) {literally any positive statement}
    E) I don't know, they're gas station food

pick the answer that doesn't belong, and that's what Mitt Romney always seems to say.

• Options
    Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    also does 7-11 even have a bakery? Or even a pastry case? I think the most I've ever seen is some wrapped Hostess/Entenmanns.

Apparently, sort of.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »

But would they rather vote for a moderate than stay home in disgust, polishing their guns and muttering ominously about "the guv'mint"?

I wasn't aware the Tea Party recognized the existence of moderates; everyone is either in their camp or 'too liberal'. Whether that 'too liberal' is a Marxist Wiccan who lobbies for Planned Parenthood or a moderate Reagan era fiscal Republican doesn't seem to matter much to them - if you're not with them you're against them, and need to be beaten into submission.

Now where they differ from useless whiny shits like Occupy is that they'll still work the get their party's 'too liberal' elected while also controlling the primary races down ticket so the party structure can be influenced to constrain 'the liberals' range of policy options.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular

They generally have a display window with donuts and pastries...but they probably come from a Crispy Creme

• Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/04/obama-still-holding-young-brown-coalition.html
    You may wonder why, say, the Gallup poll has Romney slightly ahead? It’s because its sample of likely voters assumes that nonwhite will make up not just a smaller slice of the electorate than 2008, but even slightly smaller than the off-year election of 2010. It’s common for young and minority voters to stay home during off-year elections. But a whiteout of that magnitude in 2012 seems highly unlikely, given that the nonwhite share of the presidential electorate has been steadily increasing for two decades

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »

It's not even that! It's that he consistently whiffs the softballs! Shit, this isn't even a softball, this is a tee-ball.

B) These are incredible

pick the answer that doesn't belong, and that's what Mitt Romney always seems to say.

That is so true, you don't get a better setup then this and to miss it is to fail at politics 101: all politics is local.

Somebody gives you a local food, its the best food you have ever tasted. Somebody ask you about local sports team, you have always been a fan of theirs. Local town is the best town in america, because its local town.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »

I wasn't aware the Tea Party recognized the existence of moderates; everyone is either in their camp or 'too liberal'. Whether that 'too liberal' is a Marxist Wiccan who lobbies for Planned Parenthood or a moderate Reagan era fiscal Republican doesn't seem to matter much to them - if you're not with them you're against them, and need to be beaten into submission.

Now where they differ from useless whiny shits like Occupy is that they'll still work the get their party's 'too liberal' elected while also controlling the primary races down ticket so the party structure can be influenced to constrain 'the liberals' range of policy options.

The problem for the tea party, is that they don't know what they want, you can be on the good side of the party one day and hellspawn of satan the next with them. They're a loose collection of conservative idealogues that routinely get hijacked by scam artists looking to make some money or big money groups looking to garner some movement on a pet issue. Obviously they got played like a damn fiddle with the health care reform, but it did manage to galvanize them into a sort of political coalition. Now though? They just don't seem to be an entity capable of affecting long term change. At least in my opinion.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular

B) These are incredible

This: This right here.

I don't care that he doesn't like the cookies. If I were presented a plate of cookies, I would make some statement about watching my cholesterol or calories and then launch right into jobs jobs jobs and growing the economy one business at a time.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »

B) These are incredible

That is so true, you don't get a better setup then this and to miss it is to fail at politics 101: all politics is local.

Somebody gives you a local food, its the best food you have ever tasted. Somebody ask you about local sports team, you have always been a fan of theirs. Local town is the best town in america, because its local town.

Food is the easiest one, too, because it's completely foolproof. If you BS about local sports team or town history, there's a small chance someone will put you on the spot and ask what you thought of the last game or your favorite part of town. With food, all you have to do is eat it without triggering your gag reflex!

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Romney's Goofy-footed politics goes beyond gaffes at this stage though. He seems to be consistently trolling his contributors.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    PantsB wrote: »

A lot of campaigning is BS. Being able to do that BS is actually not a bad test on how you'd do as President. Its highly stressful, you need to always be on your game and you need to be able to put together a highly competent and skilled staff (and manage them) to get shit done. Saying they were 7-11 cookies was an obvious gaffe. Its meaningless in itself but it does demonstrate a tendency to make mistakes and if done internationally it could be at least a headache diplomatically.

Even a fantastic campaign doesn't guarantee you won't make some boneheaded diplomatic mistakes. See also: Region-coded DVDs.

Then again, I still believe Obama hates the British.

spool32 on
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular

Arizona

Keep up? More like create one. And fuck yes do they need that.

The '08 Obama campaign had a pretty good presence even in deep red states.

Yeah Obama continued the Dean 50 state strategy in 08. Dems gained 21 seats and 8 Senators after gaining 31 and 6 in 06. They gave it back in '10 (recession and traditional midterm reaction + GOP midterm advantage wooo) but after 08 Dems controlled the two elected branches of government strongly. The things that held Obama from fully implementing his agenda? Having 59 D Senators instead of 60 and those Dems elected in red districts who either lacked courage of conviction or who might as well have been Republicans in many ways.

I'm pretty sure he's going to continue it because it forces the GOP on the defensive in areas that they don't plan on defending. Plus, it lays the ground work to move to defense far more quickly if a potential blue state appears to moving to the red side. If nothing, even if he doesn't win the race it could help influence a down ticket race in favor of democrat and it also sets up ground work for future democrat get out the vote initiatives.

Sure the guy won't be running for anymore offices if he wins in the fall, but he's still going to be here for a long time and he strikes me as someone that actually calls about the country, at least more than the GOP does. So he has plenty of incentive to make it easier for his party and successors to do well in future elections.

Not saying it should decide votes, but that is a pretty shitty way to treat people who give you a gift, especially since he hadn't even tried them.

I just marvel at how terribly he is at campaigning. Most people don't give a shit if he doesn't like a famous local business's food and most don't expect our leaders to like every single thing because that's impossible to do, but don't flat out insult them without even giving them a chance. Now I'm not familiar with good or bad that bakery's food is, but this gaffe of his may further cement the out of touch, rich asshole persona that he already has because if they are actually good, he just equated them to being on par with shitty mass produced cookies loaded with preservatives. That then begs the question, do they have to be prepared by a 5 star chef in order to be fit for his consumption?

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Even a fantastic campaign doesn't guarantee you won't make some boneheaded diplomatic mistakes. See also: Region-coded DVDs.

o_O

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

o_O

It's my pet conspiracy theory - the series of petty things he did diplomatically in the first year, they're because some anti-British colonial stuff stuck in his young head while overseas in former British colonies, and other early life history details, all pre-disposing him to have a distaste for them he can't quite shake.

spool32 on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    Soooo, Boehner just said that Obama's reelection strategy is going to be to "pull out every bogeyman they can" in an attempt to scare voters.

5Bmm8.jpg

I predict that Obama will speak about all the successes America has had as of late, and then the GOP will take those clips and then freeze-frame them with a "DUNNNN" music track and go "TRYING TO SCARE AMERICA." Yes. With success.

• Options

o_O

Text book non-sequitur?

This discussion has been closed.