As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat]nequa don't live here no mo'

• DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Er. Texted*

You know what I meant.

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Never let a wordplay go... unplayed. Hmm.

Anyhow, did that Wells Fargo job pan out for you, DDV?

• NicNic Registered User regular
    Yes, is it a Wells Fargo, or is it Wells Fargone?

True story, one time when visiting my dad's branch someone broke out into the "Wells Fargo Wagon" song. He was momentarily successful before the lender who shared his cubicle hit him with a lightly lobbed pink pearl eraser.

I was very impressed on all fronts. :)

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    Nic wrote: »
    Yes, is it a Wells Fargo, or is it Wells Fargone?

A Wells Farstayathome hopefully.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited April 2012
    I didn't get the wells fargo job. I've got another position I'm looking at but I'll need an updated resume.

I hate writing resumes. It's like...oh, hire me. My only work history is a bar, walmart, and data processing at equifax, and I have a high school education and a fairly common skill set. Whooo taste the excitement.

e: Also it's a "more professional" work environment I guess.

I'd sure like to know why the term "professional" seems to be synonymous with "highly conservative about appearance but not necessarily concerned about work ethic or drive to succeed" around here.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    That's pretty much everywhere, Vagrant.

Dress up your resume with skills you have that others might not. Bar work is perfect to stress interpersonal relations and sales. Walmart can stress your ability to work in team based environments. That data processing can be listed as working with confidential and critical records in a discrete and efficient manner. Everyone's skill set is common except for the Dos Aquis guy, and his probably started out that way too. You have to sell your resume by showing how the combination of these positions makes you a better rounded candidate than others.

See, I have no idea how to use that kind of wording. It's like a different language to me. I don't understand it at all.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Anyone here ever worked on a project, particularly for two years or more, and realized it's not the direction you want to go? That you'd rather be working on something else, but you've already established your first project with a core audience and it's kind of what you used to get your foot in the door?

If so, how do you deal with that, do you just move to the new project, or stick with the old one even though it's not necessarily what you want to be doing in five years?

are YOU on the beer list?
    See, I have no idea how to use that kind of wording. It's like a different language to me. I don't understand it at all.

Send me a pm with the text content of your resume in general (remove any personal identification info) and I'll do a quick pass with descriptions on what I did and why.

Enc wrote: »

Send me a pm with the text content of your resume in general (remove any personal identification info) and I'll do a quick pass with descriptions on what I did and why.

Okay. I will. I've gotta step out for now, but I'll be back around later on.

• GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Anyone here ever worked on a project, particularly for two years or more, and realized it's not the direction you want to go? That you'd rather be working on something else, but you've already established your first project with a core audience and it's kind of what you used to get your foot in the door?

If so, how do you deal with that, do you just move to the new project, or stick with the old one even though it's not necessarily what you want to be doing in five years?

Figure out an exit strategy. Usually, you should do that at the beginning of a project. You can always create a way to wrap up the project and announce that your next big project is coming soon. Lost and Battlestar Galactica have shown us that you don't even necessarily need to tie up all of the loose ends.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Thanks Grifter, here's the backstory. I'm in a very successful IT job, I have a wife, two dogs, and a good life. I'm happy. I've ALWAYS wanted to draw cartoons or comic books. I started trouble ticket and it's been off and on since 2008 in some form or another, and thanks mostly to practice and great advice here my art really has improved a lot. Having said that, the story has been rebooted three times and I'm just not that great at slice of life comics. The only reason I started it back was because I found a winfall and got into my first comic con last year which got me invited to six more this year, along with my wife.

I want to work on a simple, more easily drawn (IE Chainsawsuit, three word phrase, etc) style gag strip that I can produce regularly that will work with my real world job schedule and home life, but I feel like all the shows I've been to have established me as the guy doing Trouble Ticket, even though that core audience is very small right now, bigger than the 18 year old putting up his first strip, but under 1000 readers.

I ran across these three random things I did over a year ago and abandoned. It took me like two hours to do all three and they make me smile. That's what I want to focus on.
    zc001.jpg

zc002.jpg

zc003.jpg

So I'm in this spot now trying to decide what to do, and it's just kind of weighing on me. I know it shouldn't, because it's a hobby right now making very little money, but I'd like for that to not be the case in 10 years.

amateurhour on
    If you aren't feeling 100% about what you are doing, why should your readers? I'd say it's better to get behind something you really enjoy doing than do something you feel is entrapping.

That's very good advice, and honestly the direction I'm looking to go. Thanks

Mate, it's just a web comic. Hell, you could keep the name Trouble Ticket and completely shift gears into what you say you want to do. Why not? It's your intellectual property either way. It's not like Penny-Arcade write a strip about Gabe & Tycho every week.

I know, I KNOW! I feel like a dumb teenager even thinking about it with that level of seriousness, but I do because I want it to be a serious business one day. I work my ass off after hours doing freelance blog stuff, working on t-shirt designs, the comic, etc because I want to make it my living. I want to forgo the bounty of treasure that comes with being a high level windows systems admin for the painstaking agony of a home business doing comics one day, which is the dumbest thing I've ever said, but it's what I want when I'm 60. I'm getting there, slowly, and right now it's like "do I plow through with what I've got or go another direction and start over, but with the accumulated knowledge and contacts I've made in the last four years"?

Honestly I just needed to rant, and you guys know your shit, so it was the logical choice to ask here.

Take a look at the Para Ten guy, he's changed comics a couple of times when he wanted new projects, and just tossed aside his latest because he wasn't feeling it (Quiet & Slow). When he starts up his next thing I'll still be reading it, because I've liked his previous stuff.

Just keep making things, experimenting, and having fun while you do it and you'll be fine with building a base.

Yeah, I think age is getting me more than anything these days. I'm 28, so I feel like starting over is basically saying, "time to put away childhood dreams and chain yourself to the desk" because like every other talented cartoonist out there making a living at it started well before 28 and most were already successful before then as well, but I also realize that it's a new field and all of those people were the first to do it as well, when there weren't 30K online comics out there.

Honestly it just boils down to a fear of turning 30 next year : )

• Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    Enc wrote: »
    Take a look at the Para Ten guy, he's changed comics a couple of times when he wanted new projects, and just tossed aside his latest because he wasn't feeling it (Quiet & Slow). When he starts up his next thing I'll still be reading it, because I've liked his previous stuff.

Just keep making things, experimenting, and having fun while you do it and you'll be fine with building a base.

Or ask Andrew Hussie if him tapering off his work on Humanimals strips in order to work on MSPA/Homestuck was, in retrospect, a good idea.

I'm right there with you. I was pretty much forced to avoid drawing and painting my entire life by advisers and such and recently decided to do it anyway because business success wasn't really fun at all without some hobby I enjoyed. I'm 27 and wanting to learn to draw from scratch with no way to go to art school and still support my family.

So I'm working on my own and having as much fun as I can after work and between family time. Maybe some day I'll sell a painting at a country craft fair or something? Who knows! So long as I'm having fun that's the most important part.

I can understand that rationalisation. I'm 30 and I'm an IT admin. I like to think I'm pretty good at my job but lately I've been wondering if there isn't something else out there that would provide more creative freedom and satisfaction. Of course, making the step from "it'd be nice to do that" over to "I'm making the move" is a big one. Most businesses don't make money in the first year. And when you're dealing with an web intellectual property like a comic series of any sort, it's all about web traffic metrics with advert revenue. So, people like Warren Ellis or Karl Kerschl who have a huge reputations can go ahead and make things like Freak Angels and Abominable Charles Christopher and do really well. But guys like us with relatively little to no web presence have to struggle to get the word out there.

In all honesty, if you're going to go for it then do it before you have kids. If you wait until after then you're less likely to go for it since it will probably mean less monetary stability in the beginning.

• MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    Ahhh!!! Im at the advertising agencys parking, the interview is in 30 minutes!!!

So nervous!

Ahhh!!! Im at the advertising agencys parking, the interview is in 30 minutes!!!

So nervous!

Smoke some ganja to calm your nerves before you go into the meeting. Just make sure you use some Visine and hope that the meeting is catered.

@Grifter Yeah so you know the feeling of looking back on the last decade and going "WTF?" : )

The Wife and I are prolly not having kids so that's not a big concern. Also I'm not the kid that thinks his comic shits gold and everyone that doesn't get it sucks. I get that if I go this route it'll be at least 5-7 years before I can consider changing careers, and by that point I'll be in one hell of a pay grade so it'll be a tough call. That's why little setbacks like this fuck with me so much.

Thankfully my wife who doesn't work wants to be a cartoonist as well and is doing much better than me, both in update schedule, readership, and motivation for both of us, so that helps.

Also since you're in IT imma crosspost this from D&D chat, it just happened to me...
    Co-Worker just came to my cube angrily wanting to know the status update of an access request to a server for an employee one minute after the e-mail was sent.

They said it had been an ongoing issue for two weeks and was ridiculous.

I looked at the e-mail.

Two weeks ago, a user stated they couldn't access a system and sent to to one of their managers who has no affiliation with this account, they sent it to two other people, who are not me, the guy that runs the domain. So for two weeks these three people yell at each other as to why this isn't resolved for the fourth person, until the e-mails reach 18 point solid red font with "OMG!" in them.

At that point, two weeks later, the e-mail is sent to my group, and 10 minutes after it was sent the issue was fixed.

For reference kids, that's like your macbook breaking, and mommy e-mails daddy asking why it isn't working. Three days later, mommy e-mails daddy asking why "the fuck" it isn't working yet.

Daddy e-mails your brother Timmy and says "get this fucker working"

a week later, mommy e-mails Daddy and Timmy in large font and says "OMG WHY THE FUCK ISN'T THIS WORKING!?"

two days later, Daddy is going to complain to your school about Mommy and Timmy

Timmy sends the e-mail to Apple Care a day after that, and one minute later Mommy, Timmy, and Daddy e-mail applecare and ask why the fuck this took two weeks to fix.

That just happened to me.

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    What I do in that scenario is set the bar astronomically high, realize im not good enough, and quit before ever getting started. Just look at my old thread lololol

My hand just fell off again. This time from inking for an hour.

I hate inking.

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    ink with a brush.

Much easier

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Happy Birthday DDV.

Also, good luck MT.

Mustang on
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    ink with a brush.

Much easier

I may start doing that. Working with my tablet now and to get variable thickness and smoothness I have to magnify and go over the same places time and again.

I'm getting less shaky though.

• SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    Happy Birthday DDVVVVVVVV

Okay that was my post of the week, crawling back into obscurity.

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    I told this lady we sell phone covers for 12 bucks each or 2 for 20
    Then she says "So it's 10 for 1"
    "...yeah as long as you get two"
    "how much for just 1?"
    "12"
    "that's a ripoff"

No, idiot, that's the opposite of a ripoff

• MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    Good news!

They really liked me and my account would be Colgate!!!

Bad news!

They dont pay as much as my boring corporate job.... Nor do they offer half the benefits...

Crap...

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    Don't try and push your tooth products onto me toothpaste man! I'm an adult!

Also congratulations on being well recieved in an interview for a job you may not want to take.

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    I love internet on phones. It lets me do this.

• TamTam Registered User regular
    sweet

Thanks everyone. <3

• Nineteen HundredNineteen Hundred Registered User regular
    Nineteen: to hold me over I got Superbrothers Sword and Sworcery, which is also a fantastic game (if you haven't already played it). It's basically an adventure game, but the visuals are incredible and I love the design, dialog and gameplay. It's also surprisingly longer than I thought it would be.

I picked this up yesterday. The soundtrack is fantastiawesome.

There was something important here. It's gone now.
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    How come no one is responding to my messages? I'm trying to find people who want to work at Blizzard.

Tam wrote: »
    I told this lady we sell phone covers for 12 bucks each or 2 for 20
    Then she says "So it's 10 for 1"
    "...yeah as long as you get two"
    "how much for just 1?"
    "12"
    "that's a ripoff"

No, idiot, that's the opposite of a ripoff

It's buy one get one free.
    So this one is free????
    If... you buy another one.
    But I just want the free one!!

I'm so glad I got out of sales. At one point a Turkish woman spat on me when I explained that we don't haggle, the prices are as marked.
    This was at a high end furniture store.
    She ended up being a regular client, but she never did apologize.

This discussion has been closed.