As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 4/18/12: Your Lucky Penny, Sir

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Graphic Violence
Batman #8 was great as always, because you can fight owls and still smile:
batman2-8a.jpg

batman2-8b.jpg

batman2-8c.jpg

batman2-8d.jpg

Bruce even has the Chimney rigged to be a secret slide to the Batcave! How cool is that?

Wolverine & the X-Men #9, love is in the air, and bros say goodbye the way they do when they're the splinter mutant group:
xmenwolverine9a.jpg

xmenwolverine9b.jpg

xmenwolverine9c.jpg

TexiKen on

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Wolverine and The X-Men was great, and actually improves AvX #2 since Wolverine's actions there were bothering me.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Ha totally had the same MOTW for WATX.

Anyways, in Amazing Spider-Man #684 Spider-Man uses the "pink hippo" to beat Sandman when Sandman has a whole Desert. Really dug the scale of the whole Sandman battle, and almost posted the whole battle, which was aboot 6-7 pages.
    V506X.jpg
    05ias.jpg
    27dzy.jpg

The war is almost over in Manhattan Projects #2, so the the US sends one of it's scientists to retrieve a Nazi Scientist.
    wddoF.jpg
    DJ7f5.jpg

Justice League #8 was actullay a really great issue! It had a lot in it, it has the league intersecting with stuff like the Night of Owls, whatever is happening in Justice League Dark, and even stormwatch. And then poor Green Arrow isn't allowed to play.
    ZPnm7.jpg
    xq3jp.jpg
    M9qSc.jpg

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Only got a chance to flip through Venom #16 (Kev Walker art!) and Thunderbolts #173 (Shalvey's drawing of Zemo's face is amazing). Liking what I'm seeing, but I thought I'd mention those. I plan to get some scans/synopses soon.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Huh

Aquaman got Ollie off of that deserted island in the New 52?

I actually like that change a lot.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Avengers vs X-Men #2 Wolverine goes off to do what must be done.
    bsphW.jpg
    Bob9F.jpg
    Ouwy5.jpg

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Think ASM was my fav this week

Venom and WatXM were great as well

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Avengers vs X-Men #2 Wolverine goes off to do what must be done.
    bsphW.jpg
    Bob9F.jpg
    Ouwy5.jpg

Someone got possess by the Phoenix and went crazy?

Say it aint so!

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I can't stop laughing at that wolverine surprised face panel. it's just so oddly cartoony like I could see that style in a sunday morning comic strip

• Options
    RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    John Romita Jr.'s work just gets worse and worse over time.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    John Romita Jr.'s work just gets worse and worse over time.

I don't think any of that is really BAD save surprised Wolverine but it's defiantly a step down from even the first Heroic Age Avengers arc.

To bad. I'd gladly take his art over a lot of the more photo-realistic artists.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Nightwing #8 was good, clean, knife-throwing fun.

Though one thing puzzles me
    Isn't Cobb on ice in the batcave?

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    TexiKen wrote:
    Batman #8 was great as always, because you can fight owls and still smile:
    batman2-8a.jpg

batman2-8b.jpg

batman2-8c.jpg

batman2-8d.jpg

Bruce even has the Chimney rigged to be a secret slide to the Batcave! How cool is that?

That was cool, but for some reason that shot of the penny going 'creak' I thought that Lincoln's eye on the penny was opening and the Owl was going to be hit by an Honest Abe Optic Blast.

I kind of liked my version better.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    That was cool, but for some reason that shot of the penny going 'creak' I thought that Lincoln's eye on the penny was opening and the Owl was going to be hit by an Honest Abe Optic Blast.

I kind of liked my version better.
    I do, too.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Spider-Man was beyond great this week. That may be one of my favorite comics I've read in years. Absolutely superb.

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Prophet #24 kicks off an awesome new arc, showing the first of many re-awakened John Prophet clones, who are tasked to set the universe right. This issue spotlights a Prophet with a prehensile tail, who emerges from a stasis pod in a wrecked ship, which is leaking some kind of poisonous radiation into the environment. This has two nasty side-effects; first, it's killing the Tailed Prophet, and second, other Prophet clones aboard the ship have been driven mad by radiation sickness, and twisted into deformed versions of themselves.
    Dying from radiation sickness, as well as wounds incurred during battle with his crazed doppleganger, Prophet stumbles onward, eventually reaching salvation.

ZHFKV.jpg

xzmWa.jpg

This was the sequence in the book that really sold me on the kind of crazy sci-fi Graham and his artistic collaborators are doing. Our dying hero lurches into some goo, and is rejuvenated inside a giant protective goo-suit, that looks like a pink baby.

And later on, he meets the consciousness that's projecting the ghostly girl he's been following, finding it to be something far different than he expected.

After a slow start, this book's really picking up steam now, and becoming one of my favorite comics each month.

I also really like how this book's including an unrelated back-up story each month, from various creators. It's like a cool little surprise, at the end of every issue.

Thunderbolts #173 follows up on the positive momentum from last issue, squeezing tragedy, action, and humor, into twenty pages. Watching the old Thunderbolts interact with their past selves has been incredibly entertaining, and more than ever, this book has zeroed in on Fixer, and his inner conflict. If he doesn't come out of this book as a major player, either as a hero or villain, it's going to be a tragedy.
    While I'd like to share some of the funnier parts, or the big dramatic reveal at the end, I really like this sequence, too. For most of the book, Centurius has been hanging out in the background, not really doing much. But, this page, as well as the preceding one, is a reminder that he's a serious heavyweight, and not to be fucked with.

9RCzR.jpg

I mean, when you psych out, disarm, and then humiliate Baron Zemo, without it coming across as cheap or pandering, you're clearly doing something right.

I finally got both issues of Saga, and found it immensely enjoyable. This is the first time I'll get to follow a Brian Vaughan book from the beginning, and I'm excited.

Courtney Crumrin #1 got off to a good start, examining Courtney through the eyes of her new neighbor, before taking an interesting turn. If you're a fan of Gunnerkrigg Court, and similar works, check it out.

Wolverine and the X-Men #9 continues to be a blast. Not much else to say. If you like fun sci-fi superhero romps, buy this book.

Punisher #10 was the second part of the Omega Effect crossover, and while not as good as the first part, was still quite strong. The main problem is that Rucka just doesn't seem able to match the humorous tone of the Avenging Spider-Man issue he and Waid co-wrote. Still solid, though.

X-Factor #234 is still great. Another of those nice character-building issues Peter David likes to do, this time focusing on Layla Miller and Monet. I do think it's funny that Monet finally zipped up her uniform to hide her cleavage, after being mocked by Pip the Troll, while Polaris, Layla, and Siren are all still walking around with super-lowcut tops.

Manhattan Projects #2 was superb. Hickman and Pitarra are hitting a much better balance between crazy sci-fi, humor, and action, than their last outing together, on Red Wing. I mean, this is a comic where Albert Einstein will mess a dude up, and that's amazing.

Irredeemable #36 was okay, mainly interesting in the way it showcased the creative use of teleportation powers. This book's really just exhausted my patience though, and I'm ready for it to end.

• Options
    There's only one issue left of Irredeemable, isn't there?

I need to scan that page when Satana casts her big spell. That was cool.

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Love the line about bamfs and Pym particles - definitely my MOTW.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Red Hood and the Outlaws had a really nice Tim and Jason moment. Someone should post it if they had it, I'll try to later this week, but dunno if I'll get a chance.

For all the debacle over the first issue and stuff, this series keeps delivering some really nice moments.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508