As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

the BEER thread

• Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    One of the great things about living in Boston is that the standard beers on tap almost always include at least one variety of Sam Adams and Harpoon. Sam's might not be the best beer out there, but it's probably the best mass-produced beers and one of the best values in beer.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Gooey's list of good beer

Spaten Optimator - A true man's beer.
    Maredsous 8 - There's a little known beer mix with this one - the "Ridgeslide" 1 part Ace Pear, 2 parts Maredsous 8, interesting flavor change, tastes sweet but retains a lot of the rich flavor of the beer
    Hobgoblin
    Paulaner Hefeweizen - my personal favorite hefe.
    Blue Moon
    Guiness
    Murphy's Stout
    La Fin du Monde
    Chimay "Blue Label" - It's brewed by monks, and all the profits go to charity. In other words, God wants you to drink this beer.
    Duvel
    Lowenbrau
    Most of what Flying Dog brews
    Fat Tire
    Avalanche (? I think that's the name. Haven't had this in a loooong time. It's a great microbrew from Co.)
    New Castle
    Shiner Bock - This is THE Texan beer.
    Banks - This is an unbelievable Carribian Pilsner, puts Red Stripe to shame. It's brewed in Barbados (in old-style painted bottles! Sweet!), but good luck finding it elsewhere. I'm not sure if they even export the stuff at all.

There are lots of others I'm probably not thinking of. Or if you want, join the club and brew your own. I love beer.

I tend to shy away from Dogfish, Sam Adams, and Sierra Nevada brews, they never taste "right" to me, even though they're popular breweries.

Edit - Also:

Purple Haze - This is a standard American Hefeweizen blended with a raspberry puree. It's a good dessert beer.
    Franziskaner
    Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat
    Young's Double Chocolate Stout
    New Belgium's Skinny Dip - This is a summer seasonal that is a very citrus-y American Hefeweizen.

Edit^2 -

Basically, anything Unibroue brews. I mentioned La Fin du Monde earlier, Maudite is fantastic also.
    And finally (for now) Moose Drool. Fan-freakin-tastic.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    Gooey wrote: »
    Shiner Bock - This is THE best Texan beer, though all anyone ever fucking drinks in that godforsaken state is Coors Light, Keystone, MGD and Lone Star.

Fixed

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've never had the Leinie's Sunset Wheat, but I'll look into that, as I like much of their other stuff. It is a very good beer for the price. Pabst I'll drink occasionally, it is not awesome, but it is probably one of the best really cheap beers you can find. And sometimes I'm just in the mood for cheap beer.

If you find yourself in Sarajevo ever, go to the Sarajevsko brewery, get yourself a nice meal, and a bottle of Sarajevsko (or if you like wine, some Vronac). Sarajevsko is, in my opinion, and that of everyone I know who's tried it, one of the best beers ever.

Don't ever drink Pilsner Urquell, ever. Ever. It is about the skunkiest beer I've had the displeasure of drinking. One of my friends tried it in Prague after trying it in the US, thinking it must be better at it's place of origin, but it was not to be so.

My friends and I have found, that one of the best beer's to go with pizza, is Sapporo. Hofbräu is a nice easy beer to drink, and you can find the weisbier and their normal house ale here in the states. If you go to Munich, hit the Hofbräuhaus, so you can order liters of the stuff, and watch the waitresses bring it out 7 liters at a time. It is so cool.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    everyone's already named all the truly awesome beers. My current fave is 1554, Trippel, and 90 shilling. Odell's Amber Ale is a favorite too.

A few months ago, I bought one of those homebrew kits, and I love it to death. I've made Amber Ale, a porter and a Dos Equis clone so far.

VoodooV on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Don't know if it's readily available outside of the Northeast but Blue Point Brewery out of Long island makes some fantastic brews. Thier pale ale is one of the best I've ever had.

nexuscrawler on
  • imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh beers, how I love thee. Nothing is better than a good Mexican beer on a hot day, like Tecate, Dos Equis, Corona, Negra Modelo, etc. Can't forget the Bahamian beer, Red Stripe! I also love my German beers such as Grolsch, Pilsner Urquell (it's not skunky!!), and Spaten. Then there's the UK/Irish/Scottish beers, like Boddingtons, Guinness, Smithwicks, Killians Red, and Newcastle. We cannot forget the saki bombs with Kirin Ichiban or Sapporo.

But for all the international flavors of beer I enjoy, I often find myself coming back to the King of Beers, Budweiser. Don't ask me why, maybe I'm just blue collar at heart. That, or I've killed my taste buds with massive quantities of buffalo wings. The world may never know!

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
    edited July 2007
    imbalanced wrote: »
    I also love my German beers such as Grolsch, Pilsner Urquell (it's not skunky!!)
    It's also not German, its Czech.
    We cannot forget the saki bombs with Kirin Ichiban or Sapporo.
    I was disappointed in the amount of hits I got on google with 'sake' spelled that way.
    But for all the international flavors of beer I enjoy, I often find myself coming back to the King of Beers, Budweiser. Don't ask me why, maybe I'm just blue collar at heart. That, or I've killed my taste buds with massive quantities of buffalo wings. The world may never know!
    If you like Pilsner Urquell, you probably did.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • GorakGorak Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Some of my favourites from a local microbrewery Oakham Ales

Attila
    Fruit notes and elder flower on aroma. Taste of ripe red berries and citrus fruit with a long bitter fruity finish.

Availability: July

7.5% A.B.V

White Dwarf
    Piercing bitterness in this “bright” English style wheat beer, mellows to reveal fruit overtones amidst a dry as bone finish. A real thirst quencher.

Availability: All year

4.3% A.B.V

Gravity
    Golden amber in colour this strong ale has a powerful spicy hop character, bitter fruit notes with a hint of malt combine in a dry finish.

Availability: November-December

5.1% A.B.V

I also love Tiger and Cobra beers from India and Asahi from Japan. For getting the job done quick and easy, you can't beat a bit of Kronenburg 1664 or Stella Artois (both known locally as Wife Beater).

Gorak on
  • imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    imbalanced wrote: »
    I also love my German beers such as Grolsch, Pilsner Urquell (it's not skunky!!)
    It's also not German, its Czech.
    We cannot forget the saki bombs with Kirin Ichiban or Sapporo.
    I was disappointed in the amount of hits I got on google with 'sake' spelled that way.
    If you like Pilsner Urquell, you probably did.

Well I just got pwned. Good job, now I gotta go cry.

Yeah, it's a Czech beer, and I think it's pretty good if you can get it fresh. I had the same problem with Sierra Nevada, getting it in Arkansas was horrendous but getting it on the east coast tastes so much different, which is kinda weird considering I think it's brewed in California. *shrugs*

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There's a local brewery over here, that makes some of the best beers I've had. Including:

waterdrk.jpg

A dark beer, as you might guess from the name. But while most dark beers have a strong, sour taste (I've had some that tasted like ashes in your mouth), this one has a nice, refreshing taste. It's a rather unique dark beer, and I've yet to find someone who doesn't like it.

bambayb_b.jpg

Unfortunately discontinued now, so I intend to buy whatever they have left and stock up. Also unfortunately light, at 2.5%. But well worth it... it's grapefruit beer! And it's absolutely delicious.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    alaskan_amber_DSCN9409.jpg

Oh man, still trying to convince my buddy to send me down a case. So good. So good.

There's nothing, NOTHING like washing down an order of halibut fish and chips with one of these. Or a monster steak platter.

Don't forget Harp, either. Or Strongbow & Hornsby's, even though its hard cider.

siliconenhanced on
  • SpackleSpackle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    These guys are super close to me and make an awesome brew:

llab_small.gif

It's incredibly smooth with good body. Very satisfying.

Spackle on
    Taco Bell does win the franchise war according to the tome of knowledge that is Demolition Man. However, I've watched Demolition Man more then a few times and never once did I see WoW. In conclusion Taco Bell has more lasting power then WoW.
    D&D Metal Thread: HERE
  • TheFallenLordTheFallenLord Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    IM475112.gif

Commercial description: Brewed in Seattle, and available only by the keg, this Pacific Northwest beer is unpasturized and unfilterd. Creamy, hoppy and delicious, no visit to the great beer city of Seattle is complete with out a couple of pints of this magnificent amber ale.

Its actually brewed in Redmond, not Seattle, but whatever. Its delicious.

edit: I couldn't find a reasonable picture for the African Amber. Thats the one I'm talking about.

TheFallenLord on
  • CheeriosCheerios Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Cheerios on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I plan on brewing a bear after Samuel Jackson. What do you guys think it should be brewed/taste like?
    It should taste like anger and yelling.

I'm a huge fan of Spaten Optimator, Dogfish Head, and good ol' Guinness Stout. Also, Two Rows Grill makes a great amber called Route 66 that I love.

SithDrummer on
  • KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Due to the legality of me drinking, I have not had a large variety as of yet when it comes to beer.

Heineken is alright.
    Guiness is alright.
    Samuel Adams, I think it was Summer Ale that I liked.
    Woodchuck is delicious.

When it comes to playing drinking games though and you go through beer, I use cheaper stuff. And of the cheaper stuff I like Bud Select. Normal Budweiser is fine too. I can drink Pabst fine.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Pants ManPants Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    my one of my friends makes his own beer, and he's pretty into it. he's made 4 or 5 different beers under the company name of "metalbrau," which means that all the beers have had a metal/hard rock kinda themed names to 'em, such as:

-Elephant rider amber ale
    -Stout at the Devil
    -Stranglehold Summer Ale

etc.

anyways, here's the label, made up by another friend of mine for Stranglehold, made entirely in MS Paint using a mouse:
    nugefinal.PNG

no big deal (and yes, those are hollow-tipped bullets)

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm not super-huge into beer and haven't actually read more than the last page of this thread, but I really like a beer brewed locally here. It's won awards and has a really good lineup:

Great Western. Lately I've been into their Pilsner, but their Light and Lager are good too. They used to have a Bitter that was fun.

LaOs on
  • CodeCode Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    VoodooV wrote: »
    everyone's already named all the truly awesome beers.

Oh, you poor uninformed man, there are not enough tubes on the internet for that to ever happen.

If any of you have ever tried and enjoyed Young's Double Chocolate Stout Or Rogue Chocolate Stout.
    You OWE it to yourself to get your hands on some Bison Organic Chocolate Stout
    Easily one of the best stouts I have ever had the pleasure of tasting.
    Also, the aforementioned Chimay's are wonderful, <3<3 for the mention of Gulden Draak, that was the first actual beer I ever had, it was love at first sip.
    Conspicuous in its absence is any mention of the fruited lambics, specifically Lindeman's Framboise which makes a wonderful dessert drink, either all by itself, or paired with fresh brownies and ice cream, or even just good dark chocolate.
    Anyone interested in beer, should really get signed up over at Beer Advocate, it's free for god sakes.
    (if you look at the top places to get a beer in america, Number 6 is about 6 miles from my house. Glee)

Code on
    edited July 2007
    One odd one I found is Sixpoint Craft Beers. they're a brewery in Red Hook Brooklyn. you'll likely never try thier beers becasue they only ship in kegs and only in Brooklyn(as far as I know). It's great cuz they save so much on shipping you can get it pretty cheap. This Nut Brown ale is fucking amazing.

nexuscrawler on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm young, and underage, and so I've not had much. Going on vacation to a country where I am of age soon so I will try some.
    Basically, I've had 3 types of Sam Adams, and Red Stripe. Looooots of Red Stripe. And only one can of cheap cheap beer ever. So I don't even know what the cheap bad stuff tastes like... which I guess is good. Because then I can be a snob.

EDIT: hm, I will need to go to Brooklyn when I get back to school.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Troegs nut brown ale is pretty delicious. I'm a fan of Unibroue too. There are plenty of others that I find delicious, but I can't really think right now.

edit: My girlfriend and I have started collecting Growlers which is fun. We have like 8 from different breweries we've visited.

shadowane on
    edited July 2007
    (if you look at the top places to get a beer in america, Number 6 is about 6 miles from my house. Glee)

About a mile from the house I grew up in in Dallas, was a pub called Tipperary Inn, that served more Guinness than anywhere outside of the UK. They had their own, Guinness approved cooling system and everything. I need to go drink there next time I visit the 'rents. I haven't really been to Dallas much since I got legal.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • yakulyakul Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Strongbow is the best cider. And makes the best Snakebite.

yakul on
  • HKPacman420HKPacman420 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I know this'll give off the stupid frat boy image, but beer bongs are teh win.

Anyways, Molson Canadian or Heineken are what I usually buy.

Sometimes Lakeport >_>

HKPacman420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    there's too many of them!

I can't find so many of these around here. damn. I want to try them all.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

About a mile from the house I grew up in in Dallas, was a pub called Tipperary Inn, that served more Guinness than anywhere outside of the UK. They had their own, Guinness approved cooling system and everything. I need to go drink there next time I visit the 'rents. I haven't really been to Dallas much since I got legal.
    I'm going to go check this place out this weekend!

SithDrummer on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    yakul wrote: »
    Strongbow is the best cider. And makes the best Snakebite.

My friend bought 2 cases of Strongbow the other week when we were chilling for 4th of July. How un-American of us. It was the most delicious thing ever.

I've not had a snakebite. What lager do you use?

Also, I wanted to get drunk faster, so I mixed some Captain Morgan's with Strongbow and it was fantastic.

Oh man, I want a beer. Or a cider.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • forbis316forbis316 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Snakebite is typically done with cider in Guinness.

Guinness and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale are my brews of choice. You can get them almost anywhere. Chimay for special occasions. I've got a bottle of Chimay Blue sitting around for one right now.

forbis316 on
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I know this'll give off the stupid frat boy image, but beer bongs are teh win.

Anyways, Molson Canadian or Heineken are what I usually buy.

Sometimes Lakeport >_>

Molson Canadian is ass.

My favourite beer would have to be Steam Whistle.

steam-whistle.jpg

Next in line... Moosehead

mooseheadbeer_08.jpg

Truthfully though I will tend to drink whatever is in front of me.

Al_wat on
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    As long as it doesn't taste like coconut, I'll drink it and probably enjoy it.

BUT, I forgot to give some love for Newcastle. I loved that and have trouble finding it on tap around here.

LaOs on
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Old Speckled Hen...

It is shite.

Someone recommended it to me in a prior beer thread.

I don't know why they hate me.

Belgium makes most of my favorite beer. Between Stella, Chimay, Hoegaarden and all those yummie labics and other assorted awesome... well, it's just about some of the bestest stuff ever.

For mass market american beer I'll drink Yuengling or Blue Moon.

I'll order Newcastle out a bars, if I don't see something more interesting.

I suppose Rouge is still considered a microbrew and I've recently been working my way through their offerings a 6 pack at a time.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
    edited July 2007
    there is a big bar nearby that just opened up... I expected it to suck due its size and location, but they had a lot of choices.

I was only there for 1 beer, but it was a rogue something or other, and it was tasty.

Variable on
    edited July 2007
    I've grown quite fond of Anchor Steam Beer as well

nexuscrawler on
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm a bit of a beer noob.

I like Guiness and Heineken. I'd like to try some Alexander Keiths, how is it?

My old neighbors threw over a few Kingfisher's once, and I didn't like it. Same thing with this bottle of english cider a friend gave me, but I don't remember what it was.

James on
  • QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm also a beer noob.

I love me some Guinness and New Castle.

A lot of people here in GA like the Sweetwater brews. I've never liked them. I have another friend who likes Blue Moon. I didn't like that either. :-/

And yes I will stoop to drinking Natty Lite, but only at a party when it's all that's left.

Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The only time anyone should ever be drinking natty light is if its going into some beer pong cups.

Shogun on
    edited July 2007
    or never.

I prefer never.

Variable on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    or never.

I prefer never.

well I can't turn down a game of pong

Shogun on