As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PS Vita] 2.0: PS1 support is a go (unless you live in North America and don't own a PS3)

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Uh, that's the thing about opinions. You don't preface everything you say in real life as "HERE COMES MY OPINION!" When you're giving your personal thoughts about something, normal people don't freak out and yell "THAT'S YOUR OPINION" because... that's the definition of an opinion. I didn't think I needed to talk down to people or treat them like they're five, I guess I just assumed that people know the definition of an opinion.

The better thing is he said it was "incorrect" and the story was good and also didn't give a clear warning that it was an opinion so he's just as guilty... except he actually thinks that opinions can be wrong.

Anyway, I'm not really up to date on the lingo. I guess I should have flat out said that people who are very, very forgiving on what makes a good storyline would probably think it was good.

Disclaimer: The above post is an opinion.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    I was more just miffed that someone thinks they can call an opinion incorrect. Funny how no one ever calls that out.

I wasn't insulting anyone, "otakus" or whatever they call themselves are a very real group of people and there's a lot of them. You can also enjoy a game but admit that maybe the story wasn't good as compared to like, basically anything.

Actually no where in your post was there any merited statement that could be called an 'opinion', you tried to make a baseless claim as if it was 'fact'.

The basis of your statement was so vague and unhelpful that it was also entirely coming off as a childish temper tantrum, as Disgaea has had all of two weiner jokes in the entire 4 game series, and the zombie one was at least mildly amusing. Any attempt at a pop culture mantra requires you actually be able to know what pop culture means, and recognize that the only popular culture the game riffs on is stuff from the 80s. In japan.

Finally: Calling someone an otaku (Even though its painfully apparent you have no idea what the word means at all.) just because they don't agree with you reeks of the highest level of outright goosery.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/r_disgaea_ps2
    The game one that'll elicit more laughs than any game with words like "turn-based" and "role-playing" in the description has a right to - not just because of the genuinely funny plot and dialogue, but because this is a game which constantly encourages you to be so deliciously evil, underhanded and downright mean that it's impossible to resist a cackle of triumph when your plans come together.

Suffice it to say that despite the general reputation of turn-based strategy RPGs for being somewhat light in the plot department (the seminal Final Fantasy Tactics being an obvious exception), Disgaea puts up an entertaining and involving plot that will satisfy the funny bone of just about any fan of Japanese RPGs.

Just one of the first normal sources I pulled up on gamerankings. Oddly, IGN and Gamepro and similar all seem to hold similar opinions that its a funny, charming story with engaging characters.

Hooboy, but I guess since you didn't like it, you and your ephemeral 'widely regarded' friends are surely the majority. Keep on rockin them goose feathers, keep on.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I gave my opinion, but because I didn't put "IMO" before it it spawned you and the other guy being crazy defensive and then you going on to cite a game journalists as "proof" that your opinion is the right one. I never said my opinion was fact or tried to imply it, I simply gave my opinion and didn't personally refer to anyone while giving it. This is ridiculous and the fact that you are so angry over it is even more ridiculous, and I'm not going to keep responding as it's no longer about games but just about you.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Man, I love dismissing peoples opinions by using vague terms like "widely regarded" to make it seem like your opinion is a statistical outlier.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Opinions can totally be dumb, guys. Something being an opinion does not always magically protect it from criticism

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    UmbryUmbry Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    You say you never tried to imply your opinion as fact but you make sweeping generalizations like "It is, however, a very widespread opinion among people who aren't otakus and think things are so kawaii~~(people who aren't biased). Disgaea was less grating than 2 and 3, but nowhere near engaging seeing it was basically a bunch of gags thrown together with a thin story over it." Different opinions are fine and all and I'm sure most reasonable forum goers aren't going to be mad if someone dislikes a game they like (I kid, I kid: see Final Fantasy series) but blanket statements like that do make it seem like you regard your opinion as fact.

Umbry on
    Edond.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Lil' sale for EU guys;

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2012/04/17/psp-price-drops-in-playstation-store/

Tempted by those God of Wars...

EDIT; ...how did I miss that? D:

In my defence, it only just went into effect.

So hey! Ghost of Sparta looks pretty good. Not sure of Chains of Olympus.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    I posted that on the last page and it's not a sale, those are permanent price drops.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    Lil' sale for EU guys;

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2012/04/17/psp-price-drops-in-playstation-store/

Tempted by those God of Wars...

EDIT; ...how did I miss that? D:

In my defence, it only just went into effect.

So hey! Ghost of Sparta looks pretty good. Not sure of Chains of Olympus.

I had an absolute blast with Chains of Olympus on my PSP and then my PSPGo (several playthroughs). If you haven't played it, I would highly recommend you check it out. I missed Ghost of Sparta but people say it was even better and longer than CoO. I haven't played it on my Vita yet, but I imagine that would only sweeten an already sweet experience.

• Options
    Gimme that God of War sale on the NA store, please.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Soon as we get Skullgirls. ;D

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    So there's some ads out in Japan promoting a Vita game called Soul Sacrifice. 3 headed monsters and other demons, several characters in the ad, magic, action-rpgy from the looks of it.

Supposed to have an announcement about it in May. Speculation is that its a first party title.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Well shit. Sony just 6-page-ad teased Soul Sacrifice with a full reveal announcement to come on the 10th next month. I'd repost it here, but I'm on my phone.

Soul name. Demon's/Dark Souls like monster designs. Heavilly featuring a party of 4 magic users in the teaser.

Guys and galls. We might have a Sony/From Software collaboration Monster Hunter like game in the Souls universe. Hope. I could be totally wrong, but still. Hope.

Oh man, I hope there's leaks before the 10th. I don't want to wait that long.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    So there's some ads out in Japan promoting a Vita game called Soul Sacrifice. 3 headed monsters and other demons, several characters in the ad, magic, action-rpgy from the looks of it.

Supposed to have an announcement about it in May. Speculation is that its a first party title.

Depends what you mean by first party. We know it's published by Sony but we've no clue who the developer is. Hopefully From Software but who knows, SCEI work with a lot of smaller developers. A Demon's Souls + Monster Hunter hybrid would certainly be interesting though.

• Options
    That would be so excellent.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Bleah, I didn't phrase that very well did I? My fault for rushing.

Anyway, even if its a scant bit of information so far, my interest is piqued.

• Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    I've been reading that From Software is not involved, but Sony is being secretive to hype it up anyways. Who knows... lots of rumor surrounding it right now.

XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Disgaea gameplay is still pretty fun. I need to relearn so much stuff though. Also need to get used to this music. Might set it aside to finish persona 3 anyway

• Options
    floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Good to hear about Soul Sacrifice! Some fresh new titles is what the Vita needs... there are definitely a lot of ports/HD remakes/sequels in its catalogue right now.

Since picking up my Vita last week, I've been thoroughly enjoying Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. I can't quite figure out why, though. I guess collecting shit, in this context, totally works for me. I usually hate grinding for the sake of grinding in RPGs, but this is somehow different. Scratches the same itch as Pokemon did years ago. I've also been playing Ninja Gaiden Sigma... holy crap it's hard. Though, it does scratch my Shinobi 3 nostalgia itch in a roundabout, 3D sort of way.

I feel like I'm in a pretty good position here. I'm having to force myself to pace myself on games... definitely no feelings of having nothing to play on the thing. I've still yet to buy Persona 3, Uncharted, Disgaea 3, and I'm sure Gravity Rush will be out long before I'm done with any of these other games. And now Soul Sacrifice might be entering the mix? I'm pretty confident the Vita has a long life ahead of it.

To that end, I was also impressed by how many people registered on the Near app in my area. Generally around 30-40 people around my house. Not bad at all for suburban Calgary.

floobie on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    If Soul Sacrifice turns out to be a Dark Souls/Monster Hunter hybrid I'll feel 200% MORE justified in my Vita purchase. Disgaea gave me my first 100.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    At home, so I'll crosspost the ad.

SofaU.jpg
    YUFs2.jpg
    alF1r.jpg
    andriasang wrote:
    The first page shows four characters fighting a giant three headed beast. This page has those key words that we mentioned earlier -- story of magicians, evolved combat, and real fantasy shown in high spec.

The second page shows a number of illustrations of demons and monsters, presumably your enemies. Text on this page reads, "Are you ready?"

Middle text: "The action game that shakes your soul, the beat begins now."

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I am not sure I am digging the art style. Does not look much like demons souls to me. But then again it has been a while since I've played it

Artreus on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    I says "the beat begins now?" I wonder what they mean by that...

• Options
    astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    I'd just like to say that otaku shouldn't be pluralized because it's a Japanese loan word. Now please leave me alone while I eat sushis, watch animes and read mangas.

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Excuse me the proper way of spelling it is Otaki

Artreus on
  • Options
    Artreus wrote: »
    I am not sure I am digging the art style. Does not look much like demons souls to me. But then again it has been a while since I've played it

Really?

Oh95H.png

ea54d99e4865fe0a4547415dca4188e33acfed08.jpg__620x348_q85.jpg

And someone over at GAF spotted this from the official site:

MlHet.png

dark-souls-you-died-e1332347774360.jpg

• Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    Here's an image based on a video from the Japanese teaser site, I think? I don;t know. I'll get excited when we get feedback from the Japanese release, because there'll still be plenty fo time until it gets localized.
    UGrmt.jpg

XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Well then.

I am glad to be wrong

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Reminds me of Berserk a bit, actually

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Artreus wrote: »
    Excuse me the proper way of spelling it is Otaki

We should be friends.

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • Options
    Speaking of otaki, I started playing Corpse Party.

It's pretty great, love the atmosphere. But I have a hard time believing the translator was being 100% faithful with that line;
    "Thanks! I'm gonna go butter up my pooper with it real good!"

I've never played a Souls game, but them creature designs are nice, and I guess the franchise is a big deal. Good to get some heavy hitters on the Vita.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Japan gets 3 apps to your 1 today. NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENER!

• Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    Yay! Horrific Corpse Wagon Centaur.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    RoriProfessorRoriProfessor Registered User regular
    You know it would be hilarious if all this media coverage with its overbearing emphasis on it being a Dark/Demon Souls game and then they show the game and it turns out that its not.

• Options
    If it's a Souls action rpg game we win.
    If it's a Monster Hunter evolution we win.
    If it's anything else... we'll wait and see.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Speaking of otaki, I started playing Corpse Party.

It's pretty great, love the atmosphere. But I have a hard time believing the translator was being 100% faithful with that line;
    "Thanks! I'm gonna go butter up my pooper with it real good!"

That really is the best line ever.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    Icemopper wrote: »

If this turns out to be a rhythm game I will throw a ridiculous internet tantrum.

• Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    Finished Chapter 1 of Disgaea 3. I <3 Disgaea so much.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options

If this turns out to be a rhythm game I will throw a ridiculous internet tantrum.

No, it's an online game that runs on the old Phantasy Star Online universal "beat" clock.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular

No, it's an online game that runs on the old Phantasy Star Online universal "beat" clock.

That's actually a Swatch thing, last I recall.

steam_sig.png