As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Presidential Election Thread] All Hail the Liberty Rooster.

• centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular
    Listen, I like Obama: the way he’s handled foreign policy has been pretty good, I’ve managed to pick up a job so I can’t really complain about the economy. But you can’t tell me this isn’t some god damn awfulness.

When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
  • dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    dbrock270 wrote: »
    http://whatinthefuckhasobamadonesofar.com/

And what about all of these? Some of them make Bush look good.

:rotate: Many of those things are presented out of context and many of them also don't actually matter. But whatever, dude, vote your values.

Which ones are out of context? Which ones do you think not matter?

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular

:rotate: Many of those things are presented out of context and many of them also don't actually matter. But whatever, dude, vote your values.

One of them is "Appointed Rahm Emmanuel"

Who is that just going to bowl the fuck over? Who's going to see that and be like "WOAH I simultaneously keep close enough to politics to know and care about Rahm but I hadn't checked up on him recently!"

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    That's the forgettable part: you're going to vote for him regardless. No complaint you or anyone else may have, will dissuade you from voting for Obama. They will always have some aspect that allows you to dismiss them.
    Here's a challenge for you, @spool32: name three ways Romney is better than Obama.

Clearly, this isn't one of them.

1: He's held an actual job, with employees, in a leadership role, outside of politics.
    2: He would nominate conservative judges to replace the old conservatives on the supreme court, if they decide to retire.
    3: He'll be able to control the GOP right wing and get moderate policies implemented.
    4: You hate him.

The only difference between Obama and Romney is one is Wall Street's slave while the other one is Wall Street. The more I read into their policies, the more I realize there's not much different between them.

Only one of them is proposing a 0% cap gains tax

Which one?

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Listen, I like Obama: the way he’s handled foreign policy has been pretty good, I’ve managed to pick up a job so I can’t really complain about the economy. But you can’t tell me this isn’t some god damn awfulness.

You can easily argue it.

Although it's cute how wrong it supposedly becomes when suddenly the guy had an american passport.

shryke on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Let's link to a source whose primary ad revenue doesn't come from goldbugs?

You don't consider the fact that they both support the Patriot Act, the Drug War, NDAA and hate whistleblowers a little similar. You're not gonna get anything different voting for Romney, Obama is just like Bush, a "moderate" right wing authoritarian.

I will admit him and Romney have some differences, but they are basically supporting the same terrible policies.
    Just to be clear, here: the NDAA is the National Defense Authorization Act. Personally, I support the NDAA, because I believe that we should, you know, have a military.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge fan of the way it's implemented, or the fact that we need one, but this is reality we're living in, not Peacetopia, Magical Land of Not Needing an Army When You're a Superpower.

So this is what it would look like if Karl Rove were a Democrat eh.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I mostly enjoy the idea that Mitt Romney is totally prepared to be President from day one when he is 100% clueless on foreign policy.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • DistramDistram __BANNED USERS regular

Libertarian/Independent/Jilted Ron Paul fan?

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    You don't consider the fact that they both support the Patriot Act, the Drug War, NDAA and hate whistleblowers a little similar. You're not gonna get anything different voting for Romney, Obama is just like Bush, a "moderate" right wing authoritarian.

I will admit him and Romney have some differences, but they are basically supporting the same terrible policies.
    Just to be clear, here: the NDAA is the National Defense Authorization Act. Personally, I support the NDAA, because I believe that we should, you know, have a military.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge fan of the way it's implemented, or the fact that we need one, but this is reality we're living in, not Peacetopia, Magical Land of Not Needing an Army When You're a Superpower.

Man it is worthwhile to consider the fact that something like the NDAA can be notable for a single aspect while still actually being a larger entity comprised of other potentially necessary component parts.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited April 2012

Man it is worthwhile to consider the fact that something like the NDAA can be notable for a single aspect while still actually being a larger entity comprised of other potentially necessary component parts.

The NDAA thing has been discussed ad nauseum on these boards so I won't go into it, I was just pointing out what I typically see as very Republican style rhetoric. Judging by some of his other responses, he may well take it as a compliment. And maybe he's just tired of talking about the NDAA.

Sir Landshark on
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular

The NDAA thing has been discussed ad nauseum on these boards so I won't go into it, I was just pointing out what I typically see as very Republican style rhetoric. Judging by some of his other responses, he may well take it as a compliment. And maybe he's just tired of talking about the NDAA.

With his final dying breath, dbrock will still not be tired of ranting about the NDAA.

• JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    JihadJesus wrote: »

We don't need the one we have, though - a nice little battery of nukes is more than enough to dissuade conventional military action, and an extremely selective small force of spec ops, intelligence, and information warfare units would handle the rest. The idea that we need to be prepared at all times for a massive conventional war that requires the ability to project on two fronts in Europe and Asia at the drop of a hat is laughable, but that's what out force is built for.

This is scarily inaccurate.
    Okay, i admit to some hypervole here. I was going wih an absolute minimalist definition of 'need' to prove a point, i.e. just enough that folks don't immediately see a 'free shit - come take it!' sign at our borders, ie the US would remain a relatively secure nation state that doesn't get conquered tomorrow.

In practice, the point is that the need to project the force necessary to fight a conventional war into two theatres on opposite sides of the planet simultaneously in not continuous and ongoing, and does paying for it every single day does us fuck-all good.

JihadJesus on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    Cookiegate may be my favorite gate of all time. :lol:

• iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    so ted nugent is not only a draft dodger, but apparently also a pedophile, huh:
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/04/19/1084636/--I-don-t-care-if-you-re-just-thirteen-

i could do bad things to that man

iowa on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2012
    iowa wrote: »
    so ted nugent is not only a draft dodger, but apparently also a pedophile, huh:
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/04/19/1084636/--I-don-t-care-if-you-re-just-thirteen-

i could do bad things to that man

I hope that his career gets ruined over this. I feel like if some bigger media outlets cover this, it might make people think twice about so easily accepting his endorsement.

Then again, I am an optimist.

Vanguard on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

We don't need the one we have, though - a nice little battery of nukes is more than enough to dissuade conventional military action, and an extremely selective small force of spec ops, intelligence, and information warfare units would handle the rest. The idea that we need to be prepared at all times for a massive conventional war that requires the ability to project on two fronts in Europe and Asia at the drop of a hat is laughable, but that's what out force is built for.

This is scarily inaccurate.
    Okay, i admit to some hypervole here. I was going wih an absolute minimalist definition of 'need' to prove a point, i.e. just enough that folks don't immediately see a 'free shit - come take it!' sign at our borders, ie the US would remain a relatively secure nation state that doesn't get conquered tomorrow.

In practice, the point is that the need to project the force necessary to fight a conventional war into two theatres on opposite sides of the planet simultaneously in not continuous and ongoing, and does paying for it every single day does us fuck-all good.

It seems to me that we could cut defense by 80% over a couple of decades without sacrificing America's safety in any real capacity. We could still have a world leading air force and navy, but we would absolutely not be able to maintain the capability to invade countries

override367 on
  • fugacityfugacity Registered User regular
    These things come in threes. I hope Chuck Noris is next. He was never a funny joke, he's just another asshole.

Limbaugh, Noris and Nugent all going over the side of the celebrity cliff exploding into flames for no readily apparent reason.

fugacity wrote: »
    These things come in threes. I hope Chuck Noris is next. He was never a funny joke, he's just another asshole.

Limbaugh, Noris and Nugent all going over the side of the celebrity cliff exploding into flames for no readily apparent reason.

I'd rather Scalia be caught with a young boy, but I'd take Norris going down in flames as a consolation prize.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    It's not really as simple as saying that America can defend itself but cut off forward projection since pretty much the entirety of world policy relies on American military power.

Like, NATO or UN action? Yeah, that's American action.

I don't see the problem in maintaining a military capable of fighting in two theatres. There are ways to cut down before that ability is hurt since our military is so large, but I rather like having overwhelming military force at our disposal.

And, while China is not a threat to us, that's because of our forward projection ability. Chinese-American relations would be a lot more tense if there wasn't such a massive gulf between our military power. I don't want to Fox News this, but the reason that there isn't a Neo Cold War going on is the fact that if China pulls shit we would demolish them is a big contributor to that status quo.

I think this is where we enter the "AMFE's Crazy Conservative Views" area of discussion.

Lh96QHG.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    kKcIQ.png
    What a silly goose.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    kKcIQ.png
    What a silly goose.

That's an insane tweet from a crazy old man who doesn't know his party has abandoned him.

Made me laugh, though.

• CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    It's not really as simple as saying that America can defend itself but cut off forward projection since pretty much the entirety of world policy relies on American military power.

I don't see the problem in maintaining a military capable of fighting in two theatres. There are ways to cut down before that ability is hurt since our military is so large, but I rather like having overwhelming military force at our disposal.

And, while China is not a threat to us, that's because of our forward projection ability. Chinese-American relations would be a lot more tense if there wasn't such a massive gulf between our military power. I don't want to Fox News this, but the reason that there isn't a Neo Cold War going on is the fact that if China pulls shit we would demolish them is a big contributor to that status quo.

I think this is where we enter the "AMFE's Crazy Conservative Views" area of discussion.

I can mostly get behind this. There are more grievous things like bloated R&D that, at best never goes anywhere (replacing the M16? Anyone? Bueller?), or at worst never sees the light of day. Also things like the Air Force clamoring for flashy yet dubious jet fighters like the f-22 and f-35 (when we STILL have the f-15, 16, and 18, plus the A-10). I am also unsettled by our military privatizing operations more and more these days. I wonder however if these kinds of things will continue rearing their heads because of our military's size, regardless of what is cut.

CptKemzik on
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Oh god do I hate privitization of the military.

How much money would we save by getting rid of contractors like Blackwater and having actual military personnel do those jobs?

And if they aren't jobs the military can do...

Maybe we shouldn't be doing them

Lh96QHG.png
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Has this been posted yet? I love it:

http://www.freewoodpost.com/2012/04/18/ann-romney-why-should-women-be-paid-equal-to-men/
    At a meeting with the “Moms For Mitt” group yesterday outside Philadelphia, PA, Ann Romney was asked her opinion on Lilly Ledbetter and equal pay for equal work regarding women’s employment. Without hesitation she responded with another question that seemed to shock even the most staunch conservatives in the room.

“Why should women be paid equal to men? Men have been in the working world a lot longer and deserve to be paid at a higher rate. Heck, I’m a working mom and I’m not paid a dime. I depend on my husband to provide for me and my family, as should most women… and if a woman does work, she should be happy just to be out there in the working world and quit complaining that she’s not making as much as her male counterparts. I mean really, all this wanting to be equal nonsense is going to be detrimental to the future of women everywhere. Who’s going to want to hire a woman, or for that matter, even marry a woman who thinks she is the same, if not better than a man at any job. It’s almost laughable. C’mon now ladies, are you with me on this?”

After Ann Romney finished speaking, there was an awkward silence in the air with a smattering of applause that seemed to come from a forced obligation to support their future party nominee’s wife.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »

http://www.freewoodpost.com/2012/04/18/ann-romney-why-should-women-be-paid-equal-to-men/
    At a meeting with the “Moms For Mitt” group yesterday outside Philadelphia, PA, Ann Romney was asked her opinion on Lilly Ledbetter and equal pay for equal work regarding women’s employment. Without hesitation she responded with another question that seemed to shock even the most staunch conservatives in the room.

“Why should women be paid equal to men? Men have been in the working world a lot longer and deserve to be paid at a higher rate. Heck, I’m a working mom and I’m not paid a dime. I depend on my husband to provide for me and my family, as should most women… and if a woman does work, she should be happy just to be out there in the working world and quit complaining that she’s not making as much as her male counterparts. I mean really, all this wanting to be equal nonsense is going to be detrimental to the future of women everywhere. Who’s going to want to hire a woman, or for that matter, even marry a woman who thinks she is the same, if not better than a man at any job. It’s almost laughable. C’mon now ladies, are you with me on this?”

After Ann Romney finished speaking, there was an awkward silence in the air with a smattering of applause that seemed to come from a forced obligation to support their future party nominee’s wife.
    Free Wood Post is a news and political satire web publication, which may or may not use real names, often in semi-real or mostly fictitious ways. All news articles contained within FreeWoodPost.com are fiction, and presumably fake news.

Any resemblance to the truth is purely coincidental, except for all references to politicians and/or celebrities, in which case they are based on real people, but still based almost entirely in fiction.

FreeWoodPost.com is intended for a mature, sophisticated, and discerning audience.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    aww, I got a little excited.

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular

Just an FYI for everyone in case it wasn't obvious:
    Free Wood Post is a news and political satire web publication, which may or may not use real names, often in semi-real or mostly fictitious ways. All news articles contained within FreeWoodPost.com are fiction, and presumably fake news.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    Basically, my views on military cuts is that they should go to unnecessary R&D (engines we don't need taht the USAF never asked for being an example) well before we get to personnel cuts.

Paul Ryan and Mitt Romney aren't looking out for John and Jane Soldier when they talk about increasing military spending while cutting everything else.

It also bugs me when democrats talk about force reduction in a zero sum mode. Like, where are those thousands of soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen going to go in an already over saturated job market? And why should someone who spent a few years in the Army have higher priority over someone who didn't when it comes to a civilian job? This is just "government can't create jobs" with a fresh coat of paint and it annoys me to no end.

Lh96QHG.png
    edited April 2012
    That can't possibly be a real quote. I refuse to believe that didn't come from The Onion.

EDIT: Ok, that actually makes me feel better. Politically, it would have been awesome, but I don't think I'm willing to take that kind of hit to my already abysmal opinion of most of this country's population.

TheCanMan on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    man. good to see that, while democrats have the highest of people commenting asinine shit, the republicans only got a few outliers of low-tier people spewing bullshit
    on opposite day

edit: on mxxains tweet

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Oh God damn my friend. I was linked to it and just read the piece itself. The sad thing it sounds like it could have been real; in fact, I've heard a similar quote by actual female GOP politicians. :(

Now I'm just going to be over in a corner feeling embarrassed.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

Oh God damn my friend. I was linked to it and just read the piece itself. The sad thing it sounds like it could have been real; in fact, I've heard a similar quote by actual female GOP politicians. :(

Yeah. This could be real just as easily.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    The only difference between Obama and Romney is one is Wall Street's slave while the other one is Wall Street. The more I read into their policies, the more I realize there's not much different between them.

Which one?

I'm pretty sure only Ron Paul, but he's not going to win the nomination (ever) so that statement doesn't really make any sense.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

Well sure China would get away with a lot more without that gulf, but the gulf in military capability isn't what keeps China and America from going to war, it's the fact that our economies are like Siamese twins that can't be seperated without killing the other one

Warlock82 wrote: »

Which one?

I'm pretty sure only Ron Paul, but he's not going to win the nomination (ever) so that statement doesn't really make any sense.

GOP standard response is that they will go down as close to zero as possible.

Lh96QHG.png
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Which one?

Romney proposed no capital gains on earnings less than 200k a year. Obama proposed removing capital gains for small business owners.

http://www.boston.com/Boston/politicalintelligence/2011/12/steve-forbes-campaigning-for-rick-perry-attacks-romney-capital-gains-tax-policy/kDPyheseM9q3PRE7EG9L7M/index.html

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Yeah. This could be real just as easily.

Hahah fake but accurate. You guys love that one!

This discussion has been closed.