As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

R-E-C-Y-C-L-E RECYCLE

• HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    In the immortal words of George Carlin "The planet is doing fine...we're fucked".

Humanity as we know it has had what, a few thousand years on the planet, and only like 200 of them we've been practicing heavy industry. If you think some plastic bottles and cardboard means anything to the planet, you're nuts. Plastic will bio-degrade, it just takes far longer than a human lifespan. In terms of the age of the planet itself, it could care less about plastic or the average human lifespan. At worst, plastic is a minor skin irritation that can be scratched whenever it becomes problematic enough.

The planet was fine before humanity, and it will be OK when it finally decides to kill us to make room for a new batch of experimental organisms.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    In the immortal words of George Carlin "The planet is doing fine...we're fucked".

Humanity as we know it has had what, a few thousand years on the planet, and only like 200 of them we've been practicing heavy industry. If you think some plastic bottles and cardboard means anything to the planet, you're nuts. Plastic will bio-degrade, it just takes far longer than a human lifespan. In terms of the age of the planet itself, it could care less about plastic or the average human lifespan. At worst, plastic is a minor skin irritation that can be scratched whenever it becomes problematic enough.

The planet was fine before humanity, and it will be OK when it finally decides to kill us to make room for a new batch of experimental organisms.

i think it is pretty safe to say that whenever someone says "save the planet" they mean "save the planet (as a habitable environment for human beings)"

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Lockout wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    p.s. get off the computer and go into the woods forever and make your own tools and clothing otherwise you are literally killing the earth

whatever

people like to portray it as this dichotomy of "buy nothing! make all your own shit forever" and "it's your money, use it on whatever wasteful shit you want, who cares"

when really, it's not. I think people have a social responsibility to spend consciously and not be fuckheads when it comes to conspicuous consumption

especially when we live in a capitalist society where money has sway in government. you usually don't hear people recommend not giving a shit about voting? why should we not give a shit about spending?

liberal.txt

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

uh yeah

it is kind of human civilization that a lot of people are understandably concerned for?

which is why it is so annoying to see people called tree-huggers or whatever because they are concerned for the environment.

Yeah the earth will bounce back from anything we could possibly throw at it. I would rather humanity still be around though

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Agreed, but then don't whitewash what you're doing. It's not save the planet, it's make sure the planet is inhabitable for us.

Save the humans. There, that's an honest message with none of the bullshit.

• LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    p.s. get off the computer and go into the woods forever and make your own tools and clothing otherwise you are literally killing the earth

whatever

people like to portray it as this dichotomy of "buy nothing! make all your own shit forever" and "it's your money, use it on whatever wasteful shit you want, who cares"

when really, it's not. I think people have a social responsibility to spend consciously and not be fuckheads when it comes to conspicuous consumption

especially when we live in a capitalist society where money has sway in government. you usually don't hear people recommend not giving a shit about voting? why should we not give a shit about spending?

Because what you are doing is projecting your own values onto others and expecting them to follow suit. It's unfair to both parties and most folks, when confronted in such a fashion, choose to resent the person bossing them around to be responsible. Want to change the human race? Have some kids and teach them your values.

Consumption can't be stopped that way anyhow. Even if there are enough people shouting down folks not to be wasteful here in the US, all that will happen is the money used to produce those goods will flow to another market and the US will be being thrifty not because it's smart for the planet, but because we will have to for economic reasons. Consumption can't be shut down globally. Not without war or some sort of massive recession, and even then only temporarily.

Things have been getting better and cleaner and more sustainable since it became a topic of serious concern in the 50s. Every year things get a little better for everyone. Maybe not fast enough or perfect enough for utopian ideas, but things are coming along and most folks aren't consciously being dicks about it.

man, people are constantly projecting their own values on each other. that's how society and culture work. if you really think that informing people of the dangers of conspicuous consumption is useless and we should just make babies to indoctrinate, then I don't know what to say to you

whatever

liberal.txt

yeah, that is another weird dichotomy

f24GSaF.jpg
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    actually in the show he advocates recycling of metal and plastic.

he mainly just argues against paper (it doesn't actually save as many trees as people think it does) and the lack of landfill space (there is no shortage of landfill space)

Well metals for one hardly needs advocates for recycling. Metals providers/producers recycle more than anyone because it's a hell of a lot easier than working with ore.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Artreus wrote: »
    My restaurant throws away an absurd amount of cardboard and plastic.

It would be pretty sweet if we could recycle them. But also really expensive.

Also twice now recently I have seen people actually throwing trash out their car window.

How is that a thing anybody thinks that is acceptable to do?

How are you too fucking lazy to just throw it away at home?

In Washington state, you are legally required to have a trash bag in your car.

BLM - ACAB
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular

uh yeah

it is kind of human civilization that a lot of people are understandably concerned for?

which is why it is so annoying to see people called tree-huggers or whatever because they are concerned for the environment.

Yeah the earth will bounce back from anything we could possibly throw at it. I would rather humanity still be around though

That's not going to happen by tossing cans in a bin so they can be melted to make other cans. It takes a collective effort on a federal level that encompasses all nations.

When people vote for a broken headed government that pulls out of Kyoto or are too lazy to even vote, I'm not going to waste my fucking time. People still think global warming is bullshit for fucks sakes.

The human race is filled with selfish irrational twats that will more than likely end up annihilating themselves.

/rant

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Agreed, but then don't whitewash what you're doing. It's not save the planet, it's make sure the planet is inhabitable for us.

I was not aware pro-human interest was something to hide

PNk1Ml4.png
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

I was not aware pro-human interest was something to hide
    There's a batarian joke in here somewhere

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    You know, you can save a ton of trees by using a bidet instead of toilet paper.

Save the earth by squirting water up your asshole.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    hehe, these fools think they're saving the Earth

when actually, they're only saving their own species!

they're all in the palm of our hands

PNk1Ml4.png
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

whatever

Because what you are doing is projecting your own values onto others and expecting them to follow suit. It's unfair to both parties and most folks, when confronted in such a fashion, choose to resent the person bossing them around to be responsible. Want to change the human race? Have some kids and teach them your values.

Consumption can't be stopped that way anyhow. Even if there are enough people shouting down folks not to be wasteful here in the US, all that will happen is the money used to produce those goods will flow to another market and the US will be being thrifty not because it's smart for the planet, but because we will have to for economic reasons. Consumption can't be shut down globally. Not without war or some sort of massive recession, and even then only temporarily.

Things have been getting better and cleaner and more sustainable since it became a topic of serious concern in the 50s. Every year things get a little better for everyone. Maybe not fast enough or perfect enough for utopian ideas, but things are coming along and most folks aren't consciously being dicks about it.

man, people are constantly projecting their own values on each other. that's how society and culture work. if you really think that informing people of the dangers of conspicuous consumption is useless and we should just make babies to indoctrinate, then I don't know what to say to you

whatever

liberal.txt

yeah, that is another weird dichotomy

The dichotomy and apparent self-detrimental push back exists because of the framing of the argument. You can't preach people into changing their ways. You can just do it and tell folks who are actually interested why. The two main reasons green movements are facing such push back is because of an association with an obnoxious minority like greenpeace and "hippy liberals" with all forms of sustainability (which is dumb, but definitely there) along with the political ideology attached to these groups being opposed by the wealth and powerful as a perceived political threat to their power.

I'm not saying to stop, just don't be surprised if you don't have any success. Most folks our age and younger already identify with the group, my statement about children is that that age group is really the only time you can instill these values and have them stick. We were a generation of Captain Planet, and memetically that, and other shows and media, did a lot to help.

edited April 2012
    Meiz wrote: »

uh yeah

That's not going to happen by tossing cans in a bin so they can be melted to make other cans. It takes a collective effort on a federal level that encompasses all nations.

When people vote for a broken headed government that pulls out of Kyoto or are too lazy to even vote, I'm not going to waste my fucking time. People still think global warming is bullshit for fucks sakes.

The human race is filled with selfish irrational twats that will more than likely end up annihilating themselves.

/rant

yeah, no. blaming other people when you're not doing shit yourself is kind of hypocritical. in any case, I'm almost positive we haven't reached the point where the earth will definitely become uninhabitable for humans no matter what we do. fairly sure we're not anywhere close to that point. any action taken now to reduce consumption, recycle more, and shift our reliance to renewable energy sources will have a worthwhile positive impact on the future

and yeah, a lot of things need to be enforced from the top-down by governments, but that doesn't eradicate individual responsibility. most of Europe is better about this stuff than the States, so it's definitely possible to be more responsible on an individual basis. it's going to take people working for change at all levels

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Europe is better about signing up for things like Kyoto but they aren't so much better about adhering to it's recommendations.

If anything the US is the most honest nation when it comes to it's environmental and energy agendas.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    man recycling is nice and all but if you are actually looking down on people for the amount of things they use or the cars they drive then ahahahahahaaaaaa

I'm going to judge people who over consume and waste as irresponsible, yeah

otherwise it's like being cool with littering

See, this is what you said. And then you're trying to backpedal by asserting it's not a simple dichotomy after making a blanket assertion that anyone who doesn't meet your vague standard is irresponsible. So yeah, can't really take you seriously on this issue at all.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited April 2012
    it's more to do with identifying individual behaviors and actions as irresponsible and that reflecting on people than anyone meeting my own personal standard. and there's a difference between that and stating there's a lot of possibilities for responsible behavior between the extremes of total self-sufficiency and thoughtless consumption

maybe it isn't right to judge people for being irresponsible if they honestly don't know any better, but knowing stuff like recycling is the right thing to do and wastefulness is morally questionable seems like common sense to me

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    so this thread is or isn't about Rocko's Modern Life?

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    how are you defining 'wasteful' and why are you assuming that everyone has access to a recycling program

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh man, Rocko's Modern Life was so good.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah it was.

Also one of the best shows for not-subtle-at-all adult references

Chokey Chicken was one of my favorites

as was when they played 'spank the monkey'

edited April 2012
    how are you defining 'wasteful' and why are you assuming that everyone has access to a recycling program

roughly, "characterized by useless consumption or excessive expenditure; regardless of economy in the management or use of resources; prodigal, extravagant, thriftless"

and I never assumed that everyone has access to a recycling program. sorry I didn't make that clear, but yeah, if your situation doesn't allow you to recycle, then there's nothing you can do there. maybe try to get someone to implement a recycling program in your area or find some other way to help if you want. really, just being conscious of how much trash you produce would be enough. like someone else said, there's the reduce and reuse parts too

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    Wow

I, uh

never made the Chokey Chicken connection until I read that

:oops:

• PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular

I look forward to the day when a planet can overcome battery acid oceans and nuclear waste.

jkZziGc.png
    no but like

what is 'useless consumption' and how do you know that its that person's fault

you dont have to hunt your own dinner in the woods but if you are a westerner you are probably consuming 10x what the average person does

• UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    Pharezon wrote: »

I look forward to the day when a planet can overcome battery acid oceans and nuclear waste.

you might have missed the point of this post

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Ubik wrote: »

you might have missed the point of this post

I surely did not.

jkZziGc.png
    oh ok

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

venus does alright

• KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Nature is chock full to the ass with shit that is more radioactive, toxic, hazardous, and flat out lethal than anything a mere human can crock up in a lab

The planet is trying to fucking kill us

Return the favor

Kill it back

F recycling

put that in your bong and smoke it, tree huggers

edited April 2012
    no but like

what is 'useless consumption' and how do you know that its that person's fault

anything from wasting electricity by not putting a computer to sleep to owning seven cars to having a closet full of shoes. I'd say eating a ton of fast food when you have other options probably qualifies. bottled water is a good one, I think having a habit of buying that would be hard to justify. a lot of these and other things have exceptions though, so you can't be quick to judge. there's also always varying degrees to which a behavior matters. I just don't think it's positive to ignore it outright, cause it's definitely an issue worth being conscious of. there's few other things that directly affects every human being on the planet
    you dont have to hunt your own dinner in the woods but if you are a westerner you are probably consuming 10x what the average person does

yeah, and that's insane when so much of it is wasteful. why would you not want to encourage people to consume less?

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
    you best not come at my shoe collection

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

why would you not want to encourage people to consume less?

Economics. Duh.

• EndEnd Registered User regular
    Ubik is technically a Shoe Curator

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
    If people buy less, then we produce less

And the earth gets to be happy and healthy

While humanity as a whole gets to be hungry and poor

Woo! Reuse and recycle!

Knob wrote: »
    why would you not want to encourage people to consume less?

Capitalism. Duh.

jkZziGc.png
    That isn't what I wrote at all!

edited April 2012
    Ubik wrote: »
    you best not come at my shoe collection

oh yeah, that's something I meant to add. I don't want to blame anyone for digging shoes or gadgets or whatever else. it should be cool to pursue genuine interests. always have to take things like that in the context of an overall lifestyle

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg