As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

iOS Games: There's a Zombie on your In-App Purchase.

• House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Spoit wrote: »
    I swear, this clashmob has been at 1 hour away all day

I've had a few screw up with the timers, but mainly while I am actively playing. There was one where it said it had 6 minutes, so I kept playing, then checked ten minutes later and it still said 6 minutes. Basically the timer was only moving when I was in the clashmob screen.

It seemed to fix when I quit the game though.

House of Paincakes on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Interesting play style. Kind of like RTS meets PvZ right?

Kind of? You generate resources automatically by placing buildings, which have certain things they like. For example, temples like being put next to cherry blossum trees to generate more honor (the resource for recruiting horsemen and samurai), your trading house near water and such. The most interesting aspect of this is it makes an actual pokable icon to grab the bonus resources - it's not automatic. So you have to check your town every now and again to gather these resources. They don't disappear or anything (at least that I've noticed), so it usually is a good pick up when you're losing units and going back to make more anyway.

While the game is "lane" based you can change the lane your soldiers are in as they advance - but you can only do it a few times as the order needs to "Cooldown" before you can do it again. This makes for some interesting strategy in maneuvering units around - especially in the puzzle like EXP gaining missions. For example moving your horsemen into a lane with no musketmen/cannons, then surging them down into the ranged units lane at the last second is devastating. On the other hand, if you charge right at them the cannon/musketmen will tear the horsemen to absolute pieces.

It's a very cool and unique strategy game, which actually gets pretty difficult as it goes along as well. Especially when it starts mixing up mechanics like with the stealthy ninja, who can only be spotted by monks (I'm not sure why, but that's the games explanation!).
    Boognish wrote: »
    Figgy wrote: »
    I'm pretty addicted to Elder Signs. On the verge of grabbing the expansion.

How close is this to the Arkham Horror board game? Essentially the exact same thing?
    I will also add that the board game version of Elder Signs is actually more complicated than the iOS version. At midnight a card is drawn that will have some affect on that day, you can acquire allies, there are multiple Ancient Ones, and you get to attempt to fight the Ancient One if it awakens. The expansion on the iOS version might add something along those lines, but I haven't tried Cthulhu, yet.

Firstly @Figgy DO grab the expansion if you love the game. The expansion adds some new mechanics to the game, such as adventures with entry level requirements just to start them. An example is the one that does 0-3 sanity damage on entering, after you summon your first lot of dice. Making these very risky with wounded characters. Most importantly, the Cthulhu expansion leaves the museum after you get 7 (or is it 8?) elder signs and goes to the pacific. You then have to use investigate tokens to find the sunken city of Ry'leth, then beat that adventure to win. The catch is without having three other artifacts, you cannot use your common, uncommon, spell or clue tokens. So you also need to spend time getting Cthulhu artifacts, some of which are incredibly good (the spell book that regenerates three spent green glyphs is amazing, as is the lightning cannon).

I more than recommend it, not just for the new mechanics but because I find it just more enjoyable in general.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    edited April 2012
    Whoops double post!

Aegeri on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    PvZ HD got a sizeable update. Zen Garden, some endless modes, a bunch of mini games, and some other stuff. Doesn't look like it's received a retina update though, but I can't say for sure as I never started it on an iPad before this update.

steam_sig.png
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    It does seem that the iPad version is now up to par with the iPhone version, content-wise. Shame about the retina, though.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    So that Shogun game is good. I am enjoying it and it definitely has its merits. My only worry is that it does have an IAP for EXP and there are a LOT of things to buy with XP. I do hope that you can get everything simply through playing the game and don't have to buy any XP if you don't want to.

Hmm, yeah, if they're gonna go the IAP route, I'd like to see the base game a bit lower than $7.

But, you know, SEGA...

steam_sig.png
    I am not convinced you NEED any of the purchases. I mean it's there, but it's more like a cheat to get stuff if you can't do some of the EXP challenges (which get quite taxing/difficult). It's definitely a good game with a LOT of content - it's worth buying.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I was really curious about that shogun game. Hmm.

Also guys I ordered a refurb iPad 2

First game I want on there: real racing 2 hd

I wonder how many titles I have that are universal.

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I'm still trying to assess what types of games are actually good purchases for me.

Tower Defense, most platforming, physics puzzlers, nope.

SpaceChem, Tiny Wings, Ascension, Neuroshima Hex, yep.

Even on the iPad compared to a phone, it's hard for me to sit and play an app game for very long.

Also Spacechem is hard.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »

That's like...TF2 punched Fallout Tactics right in the iThing! This could be a very good thing...

desc wrote: »

Yes, desc! We're refurb bros! Hope you get the shipping gold that I ended up with (I ordered mine Monday, estimated delivery is Friday...so gooooood).

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    Also Spelltower is 99 cents for today and it makes me feel dumb.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Holy shit, that Rad Soldiers game looks like the best thing.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    Holy shit, that Rad Soldiers game looks like the best thing.

I love iOS. I really do. The resurgence in great looking neat turn based games has just made me so happy.

The games I want the most are RAD Soldiers and Star Command.

Summer please be here.

Although I just read that it's supposed to be a free to play game, with IAP purchases for new stuff?

That's kind of a turn off for me. Might still check it out, but still.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Although I just read that it's supposed to be a free to play game, with IAP purchases for new stuff?

That's kind of a turn off for me. Might still check it out, but still.

Depends on how they handle it. Shadow Era is F2P with IAP, and it's handled great. Totally fantastic to play without spending a dime. Spending money is only to speed up unlocks, and is reasonably priced.

Hopefully more F2P games use that template.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »

That's like...TF2 punched Fallout Tactics right in the iThing! This could be a very good thing...

desc wrote: »

Yes, desc! We're refurb bros! Hope you get the shipping gold that I ended up with (I ordered mine Monday, estimated delivery is Friday...so gooooood).

Ordered today, estimated Thur-Fri

I am ready for a square of Internet that I can carry around :3

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Has Epic or Chair made any statement regarding cashmobs not paying out? These bugs and glitches are getting insane!

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    Has Epic or Chair made any statement regarding cashmobs not paying out? These bugs and glitches are getting insane!

There was some complaining on their twitter about it when the first batch ended and they said they were looking into it. So they're probably not going to fix it.

steam_sig.png
  • Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I see Sid Meier's Pirates is available for iPhone now. Does anyone have any opinions of the iPad version?

I spent this afternoon getting back into SpellTower. What a fun game.

Nimble Cat on
    I didn't think I would like Spelltower. I also didn't know the guy who made Unify made this game. It's like Tetris Jumble!

edited April 2012
    Free My Apps went a little bit crazy with the promos today, so I was able to accumulate enough points to grab Max Payne. I'm impressed; they actually did a pretty nice job porting it over. Looking and aiming is stuttery, as are enemy animations, but otherwise it's quite a nice port. Settings are adjustable enough that I'd be surprised if anyone found it completely unplayable. The default control scheme makes no sense, but I managed to quickly customize the controls to my liking. There are options that let you tap to jump, tap to shoot, toggle auto aim on/off, and adjust the level of auto aim (you can free look too if you want), among other things. You can also toggle virtual sticks, but the touch look option works fine. X and Y axis sensitivity is fully adjustable, and lowering X really helps the stutter. Movement and aiming is rather intuitive, but if you wish you can change the controls so that your right thumb makes you move and the left makes you aim. Double-tapping your health bar uses painkillers, which I'm not entirely sure I like yet. A button would have been preferable, I think, especially since you can't adjust the positioning of the health or weapon UI. Swiping left and right over a weapon cycles through them (you can also swipe down a selection menu from the top center of the screen), while double-tapping the weapon reloads (ditto painkiller comment here). Gunplay didn't take long at all to get used to. It still doesn't feel completely natural, but I found myself adjusted to it quite well by the end of the tutorial. Sniper aiming is kind of a pain even with the sensitivity lowered: you'll want to abuse bullet time when zoomed in with the sniper rifle.

There's also an option for enhanced contrast, which frankly looks just awful. I'm not sure what the point of it is, but I suggest toggling it off immediately. It's pictured below in the first screen, all other screens have it turned off, along with my custom UI setup for anyone that wants a quick alternative.

GxZj5.jpg
    QXpoK.jpg
    XIyju.jpg
    bTh1Z.jpg
    The intro movie hasn't been scaled at all, so it's a really blocky, pixelated mess. I'm not sure anything in the game has really been up-res'ed, for that matter. World textures look blurry, but not any worse than on a PC monitor (maybe even a little better). However, on the whole the game looks great on the retiPad (about on par with IB1, I think) and it's easily the best I've ever seen the game look. When you just stop for a minute to look at it, the game looks crisp and sharp. It looks like it's been optimized for retina already, so I don't expect it to look any better than it does now with a future update.

I don't think this is the best way to play the game for the first time (PC would be my choice), but if you want a new way to play it or don't want to have to sit in front of a monitor or TV to replay it definitely give this serious consideration. $3 feels like a fantastic price, especially considering it's a universal app. Free is a hell of a deal.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
    I think playing the nightmare sequences on an iPad may be enough to make me want to kill myself.

Aside from that, I've heard equally good things about the port all around. Sounds like they did a pretty decent job on it.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular

It says 'beta' right there on the menu button.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hey @Bullio I decided to try that Free my Apps thing because of you and I have a question. I'm getting the points for downloading apps and such, but It won't give me the points for posting to Facebook and emailing a friend about it. Does that just take longer?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    No, someone actually has to use your referral links to sign up for the service before you get the points.

steam_sig.png
  • TheEternalCowboyTheEternalCowboy Registered User regular
    I am in the market for a solid, challenging (but accessible) bullet hell game. I was thinking Bug Princess, but I heard it might be too newbie friendly. Danmaku Unlimited maybe? Any other suggestions?

I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees.
    Bullio wrote: »
    No, someone actually has to use your referral links to sign up for the service before you get the points.

Ok that makes sense, how often does the promotion list update so I can get more points? I'd like to nab Max Payne, but I think I should get Call of Duty: Black Ops Zombies first.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Dungeon raid is on sale for $1. Considering 3 is a steal, everyone should pick it up

steam_sig.png
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular

Ok that makes sense, how often does the promotion list update so I can get more points? I'd like to nab Max Payne, but I think I should get Call of Duty: Black Ops Zombies first.

Just keep checking back on it. They don't have a regular schedule, but there will be like one new app one day, none the next, then three a day or two later. It's really just random, so drop by the site once or twice a day just to see if there's anything new.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    edited April 2012

That's currently on sale for $5, so if you waited to get it with FMA points you'd essentially be "paying" more for it as FMA point rates don't adjust for sales. But you'd also be out 5 real world dollars if you bought it, so your call.

The first is also on sale for $2 if anyone's interested.

EDIT: How does Dungeon Raid look on a retiPad?

EDIT2: Nevermind, found out there's a lite version. Bought.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png

That's currently on sale for $5, so if you waited to get it with FMA points you'd essentially be "paying" more for it as FMA point rates don't adjust for sales. But you'd also be out 5 real world dollars if you bought it, so your call.

The first is also on sale for $2 if anyone's interested.

EDIT: How does Dungeon Raid look on a retiPad?

EDIT2: Nevermind, found out there's a lite version. Bought.

Secondary question, do they swap around the gift list at all? Cause I'd hate to save up for a particular game and then have it be gone when I have enough points for it.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Dungeon Raid is iPhone native with no specific iPad or universal version right?

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Bullshit. Ib lost like 4 different clashmobs I qualified for

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    Damnit, Spelltower is the best thing. It's like Scramble, Bejeweled, and Tetris had a sexy puzzlebaby.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Damnit, Spelltower is the best thing. It's like Scramble, Bejeweled, and Tetris had a sexy puzzlebaby.

I know... I bought it last night right before I intended to head to bed... Opened it up on my iPad to just play a single game and ended up playing a half dozen and falling asleep in my chair mid game before finally wrestling myself away heading to bed.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    Incindium wrote: »

I know... I bought it last night right before I intended to head to bed... Opened it up on my iPad to just play a single game and ended up playing a half dozen and falling asleep in my chair mid game before finally wrestling myself away heading to bed.

I'm just happy to finally have a word game that rewards me appropriately for "cunts."

Yeah fuck scrabble.

This discussion has been closed.