As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] Thread 3 - Rise of the Classy Crabs

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    This was an annoying time for Steam to take a dump and get kicked out of a TF2 server for not being logged in. I have my friends list back now, though.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Well, crap. Where am I supposed to get my morning dose of sarcasm and gaming-related commentary? C'mon, steamcommunity, start working again.

edit: hey, this post fixed it. awesome.

great. now we can hang out with colorless green.

camo_sig.png
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    So this is happening:

vmDYll.png

steam_sig.png
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Yeah, saw that in the registry. Thought maybe it would be in a Indie Royale or something. Looks like a fun game.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    So, if anyone is looking to try to win the PA Character pack for Dungeon Defenders, there's someone running a Steamgifts giveaway with 17 of them. Also, the same guy is running one to give away 78 copies of Magika. :lol:

No wonder Trendy only had like half a dozen character pack codes by the time I got there on Sunday

Also, looks like someone basically walked around the expo hall at PAX and asked people for their Magicka codes or something

• HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    So as some people know. Crafty Crab MC Server is doing good. Couple things.

1) You can now protect your chests. Put up a sign next to your chest with [Protection] on it and no one will be able to get into it but you. It's PA and the "Don't be a Dick" rule is in effect, but sometimes it's just safer to give people the responsibility. I'm no baby sitter.
    2) EXP is currently on sale, 10 for $250 over the weekend, so you an have fun with that. It may end saturday, sunda,y or monday who knows! ;)
    3) I am doing #LD23/48 this weekend and will not be reachable except via Twitter (@cloudbombgames) since Steam is like a major distraction, the will of force from the Newell is stronger than my own. (You can also follow along if you want to see my game production over the weekend, support is always nice. :D)

Speaking of Ludum Dare, this is what I will be doing for the first few hours I suspect... lo;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx7XLnlVDXM&feature=endscreen&NR=1

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »
    anoffday wrote: »
    eh, I'm hoping the $5 minimum isn't going to be a permanent new "feature" of the HIB, especially if they're going to keep repeating games like they have for the last three iterations. If they are, I'd like to see them at least change their keys from all inclusive to individual keys for each game so that dupes aren't lost to the ether.

Yeah I don't mind the $5 min. but I just realized that they're all in 1 key. I don't know if someone mentioned it and I'm dumb or what, but that's really freaking lame on their part.

Oh well. I put it all towards that land conservation charity. Glad I didn't give a humble tip when they pull shit like that.

The other caveat is that adding a high minimum will inflate the average and price out the bonuses. It's cheaper to buy Windosill on Steam than it is to beat the average.

Right. I'm hoping the 5 dollar min. was just because this game literally came out today. The humble bundle stops being humble when they force us to pay a certain price. Most people generally give more on their own when it's going to a charity. If they force a certain min. then it's only going to hurt them and the charities they're supporting.

Steam: offday
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    eh, I'm hoping the $5 minimum isn't going to be a permanent new "feature" of the HIB, especially if they're going to keep repeating games like they have for the last three iterations. If they are, I'd like to see them at least change their keys from all inclusive to individual keys for each game so that dupes aren't lost to the ether.

Yeah I don't mind the $5 min. but I just realized that they're all in 1 key. I don't know if someone mentioned it and I'm dumb or what, but that's really freaking lame on their part.

Oh well. I put it all towards that land conservation charity. Glad I didn't give a humble tip when they pull shit like that.

The other caveat is that adding a high minimum will inflate the average and price out the bonuses. It's cheaper to buy Windosill on Steam than it is to beat the average.

Right. I'm hoping the 5 dollar min. was just because this game literally came out today. The humble bundle stops being humble when they force us to pay a certain price. Most people generally give more on their own when it's going to a charity. If they force a certain min. then it's only going to hurt them and the charities they're supporting.

I dunno about that, the average price paid for every previous bundle hovers around the $5 mark

You can argue that this might eliminate some sub-$5 purchases from previous bundles, but I really don't think it'll get people to spend less

Actually I'm really interested in seeing how this turns out, because while it's still very early on, the average price at the moment is higher than any previous bundle to date

EDIT: Also holy crap, that "Acres Preserved" ticker is kind of incredible

Maddoc on
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Al Baron wrote: »
    So this is happening:

vmDYll.png
    I've played the demo of Noitu love 2, and it was really fun, but I was never able to get the full game. Maybe now!

M A G I K A Z A M
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    So this is happening:

vmDYll.png

I've never tried that, but the free games made by the same guy are pretty great. Probably gonna grab it.

• John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I am enjoying this Sniper Elite V2 demo a whole heck of a lot I tell you what what.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqHJnOqAPkE

It's pretty...... jaw-some

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Okay, that is pretty cool.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • lostprophetlostprophet Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Is it just me or are the Steam servers on break right now?

My download of the Warband DLC is taking foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

lostprophet on
    Steam: macg1991
    wotuserbar01.jpg: macg1991
    Check out the Penny Arcade World of Tanks thread to join us in some fun times.
  • Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Oh okay, downloading the demo now.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Holy shit. Ok downloading demo.

I saw another video where a guy was hit in the head, the bullet passed through, hit a wall, deformed into a jagged lump of metal and ricocheted into another guys head that was nearby.

Yeah.

edited April 2012
    I bought the first one for like 2.50 the other day when it was on sale. And it's pretty cool too. Obviously not as detailed.

I'm really interested in this game now. Also kill hitler might be one of the coolest pre-order bonuses I've ever seen.

anoffday on
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    I am enjoying this Sniper Elite V2 demo a whole heck of a lot I tell you what what.

I'm really enjoying it as well. This one totally snuck up on me, but I might have to grab it, particularly as it has campaign co-op.

• YnuuYnuu Registered User regular
    Has anyone played MacGuffin's Curse? I just noticed the sale and it looked interesting. Granted it's only $4 right now so it's not the biggest hit to my wallet if it turns out bad, but if anyone had any experience with it that'd be cool.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqHJnOqAPkE

Now see, that's pretty cool, and what I wanted Sniper Elite 1 to be, but from what I heard it starts ignoring its title and supposed premise and expecting you to run around like Rambo like every other generic military manshoot really fast. Is this still the case with 2?

• busfahrerbusfahrer addict GermanyRegistered User regular
    Ynuu wrote: »
    Has anyone played MacGuffin's Curse? I just noticed the sale and it looked interesting. Granted it's only $4 right now so it's not the biggest hit to my wallet if it turns out bad, but if anyone had any experience with it that'd be cool.

For anyone who hasn't heard the term MacGuffin before:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacGuffin

B2b1M.gif
    Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Now see, that's pretty cool, and what I wanted Sniper Elite 1 to be, but from what I heard it starts ignoring its title and supposed premise and expecting you to run around like Rambo like every other generic military manshoot really fast. Is this still the case with 2?

Can't say for sure but I hope to god that isn't the case. Sniper Elite was great for the first few missions but then it turned Rambo as you say. So much so that I didn't have the desire to finish it.

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

I dunno about that, the average price paid for every previous bundle hovers around the $5 mark

You can argue that this might eliminate some sub-$5 purchases from previous bundles, but I really don't think it'll get people to spend less

Actually I'm really interested in seeing how this turns out, because while it's still very early on, the average price at the moment is higher than any previous bundle to date

EDIT: Also holy crap, that "Acres Preserved" ticker is kind of incredible

The last two were closer to $6.50 than $5, and that's with repeat titles (though a new platform). Previous non-mobile bundles closed out between $5-7 average, though the first closed much higher. This one is already at $8.70, and the average always tends to go up in HIB's.

A better example to compare against would be the dev specific bundles since that's basically what this is. Those never close higher than $5, yet this one is almost $4 more expensive for essentially one new game.

steam_sig.png
  • RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    The problem with GOG's remarks aren't that they are not true but that they are pretty hypocritical. He said those things the same weekend Crusaders of Might and Magic was on sale. That is their absolute worst game going by users reviews (and actual reviews probably too). GOG is just as guilty of the sins they accuse Steam of.

And I love them both for it.

I love them both too. I just wish gog would stop trying to become a steam alternative for people. They serve completely different gaming needs. I know gog is starting to get newer games, which is fine, but I seriously hope they don't move towards all new games because not only will steam crush them but I still won't have carmageddon, worms world party, jazz jackrabbit, the list goes on...

I'm surprised at how much I dislike this new direction that GOG is taking. I know they've said that they will still release old games, but I'm not sure I believe them. It's obvious that they're going for new games and I suspect that the old games will be phased out over time. Taking potshots at Steam (and GamersGate and Greenman) is just so cheap, imo, especially when they run sales of their own pretty much every week.

I guess I'm just bitter that we never got System Shock 2, SubWar 2050, and a bunch of other titles. :(

Sorry for bumping this, btw, but I've been busy and thread's too fast. :D

steam_sig.png
  • kaliakalia Registered User regular
    @Adellios just gifted me Stacking! I am so excited I can't even come up with a pun or anything! This is turning into best day ever! :D

• SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    @Antecantelope gifted me Sword and Sorcery out of the blue thar like a classy gent.

edited April 2012
    Ok, so Sniper Elite V2. First of all, awesome. Second of all I don't understand the sweet kill cams and how to activate them. It seems random. Sometimes I get the sniper bullet thing and it goes through their head. Sometimes I get the same thing only skeleton view. And then sometimes just nothing. Always headshots. I think it has something to do with emptying your lungs and that red diamond thing, but I'm not sure. About the only thing I'm kind of sure about is it has to be a headshot. But actually maybe not even that, since in the description it talks about seeing breaking rips and puncturing lungs. So I'm pretty lost. When you do get the kill cam skeleton thing it's pretty awesome. Or jaw-awesome, but in my case I managed to shoot him through his eye. Yes. His eye. This might be my first ever pre-order on steam.

Also, how do you go about this level? I shoot the first guy you see who's leaning against the wall and then everyone knows where I'm at. What's the approach? I haven't even got close to beating the demo.

anoffday on
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    signature.png

signature.png

and this is still open

signature.png

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Warband is a terrible, terrible time vampire that will latch onto your free times throat and never let it go. That is to say, it's a fucking awesome game and I need to play more of it. Also the best multiplayer ever.

• ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Eastern Europe seems to produce some fantastic games. A little rough around the edges at times, but great nonetheless.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hey, is the PC version of Swords and Sorcery allow for twitter communications? Man, that game filled my feed for, like, 2 days with that crap.

I understand why they did it, but didn't make it less annoying.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
    Hey, is the PC version of Swords and Sorcery allow for twitter communications? Man, that game filled my feed for, like, 2 days with that crap.

I understand why they did it, but didn't make it less annoying.

Yes, but you can choose to not set it up

I hate stuff like that, so I didn't bother inputting my twitter info, and I'm glad now that I've seen how many times within the first fifteen minutes it would have spammed my twitter

• Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Has anyone heard anything about the Walking Dead game that's gonna be released soon by Telltale Games? I stumbled on to it while I window(monitor?) shopping at the Steam Store.

• Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    You have the option not to tweet in Sword and Sworcery. It's not automatic even if you connect it to your Twitter account.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Has anyone heard anything about the Walking Dead game that's gonna be released soon by Telltale Games? I stumbled on to it while I window(monitor?) shopping at the Steam Store.

Seems like it could be good since Gary Whitta is involved with it, and I like Gary Whitta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BtKreP0dsg

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Can't say for sure but I hope to god that isn't the case. Sniper Elite was great for the first few missions but then it turned Rambo as you say. So much so that I didn't have the desire to finish it.

Yeah, that really sucked when it turned into generic WWII 3rd-person shooter. I think the devs just ran out of time to properly develop some larger stages and just went "oh shit, throw in some run-and-gun stuff, that's a lot easier."

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular

Yeah, that really sucked when it turned into generic WWII 3rd-person shooter. I think the devs just ran out of time to properly develop some larger stages and just went "oh shit, throw in some run-and-gun stuff, that's a lot easier."

I thought Sniper Elite was generic modern-day (first-person?) shooter, and the new one was the changeover to the WW2 setting.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    The Giant Bomb guys got a look at the Walking Dead game and said it seemed quite good. "Way better than Jurassic Park" was thrown around, which is a good thing.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »
    signature.png

signature.png

and this is still open

signature.png

A lot of awesome giveaways! Truly a classy gent.

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular

I thought Sniper Elite was generic modern-day (first-person?) shooter, and the new one was the changeover to the WW2 setting.

I think you're thinking of Sniper: Ghost Warrior, which is by all accounts pretty terrible.

People keep saying the first turned into Rambo, but could any of them be confusing it with Ghost Warrior?

This discussion has been closed.