As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Trek Online] Hop on my deck. Now Free to Play!

• SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    Haha, instead of running a story on the gold box fiasco, massively has chosen to celebrate STO once again :p

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/04/18/why-i-play-star-trek-online/

steam_sig.png
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    It's fantastic that this whole thing is exploding in an unplanned fashion. MMO developers usually tend to do unpopular things (or make unpopular announcements) on Friday, since they have a whole weekend to completely ignore any customer complaints and let the RAEG die down. In this case, it's mid-week, and they won't be able to just sweep it under the rug as easily.

• AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    The new shuttle 5 man is coming out tomorrow so maybe they figure that'll distract people

ECOED.jpg
  • TalonSETalonSE Registered User regular
    a Dev just pumped well over a billion EC into the market buying up gold boxes from the exchange.
    I just checked and sure enough, Salami_Inferno bought all 3 of my remaining gold boxes, each priced at 29,999,999. Now the only gold boxes left on the exchange are in the 50m+ range. So thanks to the devs I've made 120m off their little fiasco, which is enough to just buy a Ferengi ship if I choose to. (Which I likely won't.)

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    So thanks to the lovely Fyndir, I am now an Arcadian.

I'd like to know if there are any STF things at Euro friendly times? I've seen mention of "STF Fridays" in the OP, but I don't know if this is still a thing..or if it is on American times anyway. Mainly what I'm getting at is I would like to see the Ground stuff (on normal) without being brave and pugging it as I have heard one too many horror stories. I wouldn't mind giving a few Elite spaces a go either, but that's a bonus.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Basically if I'm online and you want a person for STFs hit me up.

I haven't tried any of the ground ones yet, but love the Space ones to pieces, especially with a solid team.

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Also, does anyone have tips for a good borg ground weapon?

At the moment I'm wandering around with a minigun, and it does alright for the Borg I run into on missions, but I'm wary of taking it to ground STFs, entirely willing to cash in some bits and pieces from running the space STFs to get a nice gun.

I was thinking of a sniper rifle, hammer out a few powerful shots then remod?

edited April 2012
    Sniper rifles are good, as are the space shotguns. Anything that fires lots of bullets rapidly is bad though.

Klingons have the best gun however, with their space shotty/grenade launcher.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I'm currently using the Jem'hadar set for ground stuff. Also an away team equipped entirely with different types of minigun. Seems to work ok, but there's not much exploit attacking going on. Sniper rifles did seem to work well though, I guess I'll probably end up with the (Maco?) ground set that includes one.

There's always a Batleth for backup :P

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Also, does anyone have tips for a good borg ground weapon?

At the moment I'm wandering around with a minigun, and it does alright for the Borg I run into on missions, but I'm wary of taking it to ground STFs, entirely willing to cash in some bits and pieces from running the space STFs to get a nice gun.

I was thinking of a sniper rifle, hammer out a few powerful shots then remod?

I like Blast Assaults, they have a pretty good targeted AoE as their secondary which is nice for the big, slow moving Borg groups (also has a chance to knockback). Space shotguns (pulsewave) are also good, but tend to tempt people into getting really close to maximize DPS, getting close may be a bad idea with the Borg.

If you've got your ground crew kitted out with expose weapons, using a split beam rifle can do some really nice exploit damage with it's secondary, so long as you hold off on using it until your crew have fired off their exploit attacks. (granted, the exploit attacks are going to be enough to kill most enemies on their own, so YMMV).

• ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I say this half-way jokingly, and half-way not. But pulsewaves are a man's weapon. Damage on them decreases as you get farther away. However, the shotgun hits multiple targets at once. So you're encouraged to get up close and personal, then stick a space shotgun barrel to the back of the group at point blank range and pull the trigger on the secondary super blast. Then you usually have to do your best impersonation of the ending of Scarface after the group gets up from the knockback and turns on you and tries to bring you down from the insane DPS you just unloaded on them.

So what encounters boil down to when using one is:

Two or more people/space cyborgs enter. One leaves. It's like Thunderdome with space lasers. You may or may not have to run through a hail of gunfire to get to your target. But if you press the barrel of the space shotgun to their spine and pull the trigger, short of KA elite, you're going to knock the shields off of something and do a lot of damage. It's enough to one shot certain mobs, in fact.

They're also one of the best weapons you can field DPS wise for a DPS specced tactical against the Borg. A MKXII space shotgun far outdistances any of the set gear in the game for efficiency, in fact. With the right traits and gear you can pop all of your buffs and literally one-shot Defera Invasion elite drones. Doubly so since about half of the Borg in any encounter will walk to you, meaning it's a convenience weapon on top of a practical one for DPS.

To give you an idea of how good it can be with the right class: I wowed an entire team two weeks ago when I soloed something insane like ten elites that had spawned and came at us all at once through suicidally running from cover to cover to get to them one by one clever tactics after the final city mission bugged hard and the entire team went down. Our poor smugineer (Dude was ridiculously smug about his half dozen turrets. Made us wait like a minute while he set them all up in carefully placed positions.) was just gawping and kept sending me tells over how the hell one man managed to gun down a small army of drones, and a mob type that can solo teams in duo's.

Then again, that goes into the mindset of playing a tactical. You don't have awesome gimmick summons like quantum howitzers that can fire downwards through the floor to hit mobs on the floor beneath you. Nor do you have crazy science skills like nanoprobe infestations. You don't have amazing self heals or shield repairs either.

In fact, unless you spec into being a squad leader, your only heals come from consumables. It's just you, a swarm of red shirts, a bunch of DPS boosters, a special ability that will reset the cooldown on your red shirt swarm, buffs, and other summons every now and then. Other then that, it's just you and your character's cast iron balls, balls that just so happen to be the size of starships, against the universe. Yet if you know what you're doing, you can be far more survivable, and do way more damage then any engineer or science officer can, since you're much more flexible, adaptable, and deadly then they'll ever be on account of your buffs boosting your direct damage output and inherent capabilities.

Archonex on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Here's the word on the little bird event coming in tomorrow.
    Control of the Vault has once again fallen into the hands of the Romulans. Obisek, leader of the Reman Resistance, is sending his ships to draw off the bulk of the Romulan fleet. While the Remans battle in space, Obisek will lead a small force in shuttles to infiltrate the Vault and reclaim the station for his people.

But the Romulans will not abandon their prize so easily. The battle will be difficult. Can you take control of the Vault before time runs out to assure victory and independence for the Remans, or will Romulan oppression continue?

The Vault Shuttle Event is a queued event for Federation Vice Admirals and KDF Lieutenant Generals. Players must be in a small craft (shuttle, fighter or runabout) to help Obisek regain control of the Vault. Inside, they will face waves of Romulan fighters, entrenched turret batteries, Birds-of-Prey and other Romulan surprises.

During the event, you will need to protect Obisek's ship as he works to override the command codes and hack into Romulan control systems. But this isn't a one-man job – players will need to work together to help Obisek with tasks that arise as he initializes the override sequence. Listen for his instructions during this fast-paced, timed event.

In exchange for your help, the Remans are offering Datacores that contain encrypted information about Romulan and Reman technology. You can use these Datacores in special Duty Officer Assignments available from your ship's Intelligence officer to earn special gear for your vessel, including a set of Very Rare Mk XII ship equipment!

The Vault Shuttle Event will be live on Holodeck after maintenance on Thursday, April 19. So jump into your shuttle and check the Mission Journal for available times. It's time to join the resistance!

So it sounds like this fits in between the last proper mission of the Reman series and the follow-up which sends you off to chat with Obisek at the Vault. If you guys want, we can set up a Fleet-run or two at the Vault on Friday to give those a chance tomorrow a few practice tries at it.

edited April 2012
    Is it a limited time thing, or a new instance?

They've been saying they wanted to get shuttle instances going for a long time.

Also, Cryptic just officially confirmed that they're just going to change the description of the lockboxes rather then fix the issue with gold boxes dropping normal box items. Their line is "working as intended, it has a higher chance. No, really!", despite people giving mounds of evidence to the contrary. Also, despite Cryptic claiming that lobi crystal drops from golds are the same as normal boxes. Which is not intended by them.

My advice would be to not give them a single cent of your money until they start shaping their act back up. This is not Atari era Cryptic. They don't have the excuse of claiming that Atari made them milk the players for money anymore. And it's not acceptable for them to dick around like that.

Also, from what people are saying in-game and out, what they're about to do could get them sued and/or fined depending on what country they operate out of. Since they're quite literally about to take people's money for a product they offered, and not give it to them after the fact.

Should be fun times for Cryptic in the future.

Archonex on
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    It's a new thing, though I'm not sure if it's always on or if it's an hourly thing. I hesitate to call it a new STF, but it basically is - loot tokens with the store rolled into your shipboard doff contacts instead of a social zone vendor somewhere.

They really need to bite the bullet and separate ships from shuttles - not necessarily separate slots, but just letting you have a default shuttle set and automatically switching you when you enter a shuttle only map. Would make things more seamless, but they could also turn it into a third level of gameplay, and integrate all three levels into single missions.

Hevach wrote: »
    They really need to bite the bullet and separate ships from shuttles - not necessarily separate slots, but just letting you have a default shuttle set and automatically switching you when you enter a shuttle only map. Would make things more seamless, but they could also turn it into a third level of gameplay, and integrate all three levels into single missions.

That would be pretty nice, but I have a feeling that there are some technical limitations stopping them from adding a "Shuttle"-level to Space/Ground.

steam_sig.png
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I really like how each mission is it's own instance, which feels better story wise than say, DCUO's dungeon where basically its 1. Kill enemies/do menial tasks 2. Repeat first step 3. STORY DUNGEON!

Where as STO feels more similar to a traditional level design when it comes to missions.

• mccartmccart Registered User regular
    Hey all I'm pretty new to the game and had a couple questions. I found a gold lockbox and sold it. Later I found another and had to blow some credits to leave enough headroom to not run into the credit-cap so I purchased a few blue doffs that had space attributes I liked. When I try to set them for active duty it asks me to confirm that I want them permanently bound, I select OK and then nothing happens. At first I figured it was because I wasn't high enough level to use them or something, but I'm level 50 now and can't set them to active duty still. So any insight or help would be appreciated.

Also, I have the Mk X requisition token from one of the quest chains to get a Borg item from DS9. Any recommendations on what I should buy? I'm a KDF tactical officer flying a Bird of Prey currently, most of the items on it are quest items or things I purcahsed off the exchange for cheap.

Considering how easy it is to kit up mk XI blues, the mk X purple you can get with the requisition token don't matter too much. I'd either use it on a pulsewave for fighting Borg on the ground, or a torpedo (since the anti-borg proc always fires on torpedoes instead of a chance like energy weapons), but using it to plug any hole in your loadout is just fine.

A Tweet-pic from one of the devs.

ybMcW.jpg

ADF's new home?

It's not very phallic, but I suppose it will do.

ECOED.jpg
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    If we doubled the bottom and chopped the branches off, I this we would have a perfectly serviceable wang going. The shipyards could be pubes and/or "spray" of some sorts.

I bet Picard had all purple Boffs AND Doffs.

That_Guy on
  • jamesrajamesra Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    If we doubled the bottom and chopped the branches off, I this we would have a perfectly serviceable wang going. The shipyards could be pubes and/or "spray" of some sorts.

I bet Picard had all purple Boffs AND Doffs.

I don't believe for a second that Troi was any higher than a green quality Counselor. And are you seriously suggesting that Wes was a purple quality DOFF?

"Everything in war is very simple, but the simplest thing is difficult. The difficulties accumulate and end by producing a kind of friction. . . . This tremendous friction . . . is everywhere in contact with chance, and brings about effects that cannot be measured, just because they are largely due to chance" Carl Von Clausezwitz. (1832),
  • MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    Shut up Wesley!

steam_sig.png
    Wesley would have to be a special doff where for every point to critical, he gives an equal to disaster.

ECOED.jpg
    edited April 2012
    To continue the whole phallic discussion from earlier, a new naughty doff name has been found:
    screenshot2012042000162.jpg

Considering the impossible trait combination (which Duche also had, though Fem Jizz didn't), I'm starting to suspect somebody with access to the doff system is trolling us.

Hevach on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Avynte wrote: »
    Wesley would have to be a special doff where for every point to critical, he gives an equal to disaster.

Critical Success for engineering type missions, Critical Failure/Everyone Dies for diplomatic types.

Also, my seven year old son decided yesterday he wanted to try STO, so I started it up on his PC and helped him through the tutorial. Afterwards, we teamed up for the first two story missions.

My kid doesn't like Star Trek, and he still insists the TV show is "boring", but he enjoyed the game enough that he went to bed talking about Klingons last night. It's moments like those that make fatherhood special.

citizen059 on
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    citizen059 wrote: »
    Avynte wrote: »

Critical Success for engineering type missions, Critical Failure/Everyone Dies for diplomatic types.

Also, my seven year old son decided yesterday he wanted to try STO, so I started it up on his PC and helped him through the tutorial. Afterwards, we teamed up for the first two story missions.

My kid doesn't like Star Trek, and he still insists the TV show is "boring", but he enjoyed the game enough that he went to bed talking about Klingons last night. It's moments like those that make fatherhood special.

I find the original Star Trek series interesting but I feel like watching a bunch of 40-50 minute episodes screws with my ability to sit down and enjoy it. I'm very anal retentive about time.

Though the psychic boy episode was pretty damn awesome. Great tension and suspense in that episode. That episode where Kirk smacks the shit out of Spock was hilarious. "This is no time for a pussout, SHIT is going down!". Pilot was kind of meh. The officer gaining godly abilities was fantastic too.

It wasn't Wes that fucked up the Dimond Slot thing. He was just keeping his mouth shut. He was at least a Blue. Hell, Riker is trans-purple.

I now understand why Massively didn't bring up the gold box fiasco:

Massively to co-host STO panel at the Official Star Trek Convention

steam_sig.png
  • ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    I now understand why Massively didn't bring up the gold box fiasco:

Massively to co-host STO panel at the Official Star Trek Convention

you'd need to let another MMO news site know about it that doesn't brown nose Cryptic.

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    So the D'kora has a somewhat hidden unique trait about it, it seems.

Y3ECo.jpg

9eM1i.jpg

Not sure what the trait is? Well, i'll give you a hint.

3Ttv2.jpg

One of these things is not like the others. One of these things does not belong.

Archonex on
  • supersporksuperspork Registered User regular
    Wonder how they'll try to spin that as "working as intended". They really aren't testing these things much are they? Of course the cynic in me says they're putting these kinds of "accidental" bugs with the new content to increase how many people try to get the box ship for a bit.

Shame you couldn't probably couldn't fit a player-usable version of the Odyssey's support craft in there.

superspork wrote: »
    Wonder how they'll try to spin that as "working as intended". They really aren't testing these things much are they? Of course the cynic in me says they're putting these kinds of "accidental" bugs with the new content to increase how many people try to get the box ship for a bit.

I checked it out, and it appears to be a bug for all ships, actually.

Turns out they didn't do the proper coding to keep all large ships from going in.

• ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    Archonex wrote: »
    superspork wrote: »

I checked it out, and it appears to be a bug for all ships, actually.

Turns out they didn't do the proper coding to keep all large ships from going in.

sure it's not a holo emitter?
    if not which large ships can get in

steam_sig.png
    LZXjN.jpg

Welp, didn't expect that for a ship's name. Grandpa must have really done something impressive after the show ended.

• supersporksuperspork Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Owenashi wrote: »
    LZXjN.jpg

Welp, didn't expect that for a ship's name. Grandpa must have really done something impressive after the show ended.

Heh. After trying to hold my self to fairly serious names for my ships across my alts, I gave into impulse when my female betazoid Sci alt got her Intrepid. She now commands the USS She Blinded Me (couldn't add the ! sadly). Probably not the most original or funy but I liked it and it gave me a chuckle so I went with it. I'll have a new ship fairly soon anyways.

superspork on
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I downloaded this to give it a try on Saturday, and spent abuot 4 hours playing thru the initial missions. I feel kind of lost.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    I downloaded this to give it a try on Saturday, and spent abuot 4 hours playing thru the initial missions. I feel kind of lost.

My best advice until you get to 50, is to go though the story missions in order. Your first run though a mission will give you around 6k xp. At lower levels, this is a level or 2 a mission. You can maximize your leveling by doing patrol missions on the way to your destination. Doing 1 or 2 patrol missions and a story mission can net you around 10k xp for, maybe a half an hour mission. By the time I hit my stride, I was doing 2 space patrol missions (The ground ones just took too long.) and gaining a level a mission even into the upper ranks. Protip: The patrol missions are somewhat randomly generated. If you enter a patrol zone and it's not space, you can just leave to get a new one.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I've never played an MMO before and this looks pretty complicated. I wonder if I could buy Elite Force and get it to work for Windows 7.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
This discussion has been closed.