As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Presidential Election Thread] All Hail the Liberty Rooster.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    It came out a little while ago that Obama has eaten dog meat before. That's the whole joke. Just. Sigh.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    kKcIQ.png
    What a silly goose.

Would it be bad taste to start getting in politicians' faces about things that happened to them in the past that was out of their control?

"BDSM is such a disgraceful scar on American society. People whipping, hitting, electrocuting each other for sexual 'pleasure.' BUT I'M SURE JOHN MCCAIN IS INTO THAT."

What is McCain even referencing?

IIRC it was recently revealed that Obama ate dog meat in Indonesia when he was a child.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I just want Newt Gingrich to open his mouth about it so we can recycle, "How many wives have you divorced in asshole-circumstances again?" I really really do.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    dbrock270 wrote: »
    Also Obama has pretty much destroyed what was left with the Constitution with assassinating an American citizen, extending the patriot act, signing the NDAA, prosecuting medical marijuana dispensaries, and prosecuting whistleblowers on an unprecedented scale. It makes the Cheney administration look good.

Man, @Dbrock I am so disappointed in you. You say silly things sometimes but this just makes you ignorant. Lets go down the list.

1. The Assassination issue is much more complicated then that and it is ridiculous to over simplify it like that.

2. Shut up about the NDAA. He's done all he can to prevent its enactment. If you really cared about it so much you'd be making an attempt to get it destroyed before a president that actually will use it get into the White House. But you arn't are you? Have you called/mailed any of your representatives that and told them that it was unacceptable? Have you looked up any of your representatives stance on the part of the NDAA you don't like so you can tell others and maybe vote them out this election? I'd bet not. Tell me, why do you think bitching about the guy that agrees with your stance on the issue will solve anything?.

3.Sadly persecuting people who use illegal drugs is constitutional. It would be nice to make a push to change that but persecuting law breaks ain't destroying the constitution.

Quire.jpg
  • DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    kKcIQ.png
    What a silly goose.

Would it be bad taste to start getting in politicians' faces about things that happened to them in the past that was out of their control?

"BDSM is such a disgraceful scar on American society. People whipping, hitting, electrocuting each other for sexual 'pleasure.' BUT I'M SURE JOHN MCCAIN IS INTO THAT."

IIRC it was recently revealed that Obama ate dog meat in Indonesia when he was a child.

I wonder if he would be making these jokes if Obama went to france and ate escargot? Is eating a local dish really such a big deal?

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Dram wrote: »
    kKcIQ.png
    What a silly goose.

I wonder if he would be making these jokes if Obama went to france and ate escargot? Is eating a local dish really such a big deal?

Well the right-wing flipped their shit when Obama bowed as a greeting to the Japanese, so recognizing any culture outside of America is a bad thing I guess.

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    kKcIQ.png
    What a silly goose.

Their point is that strapping a dog to your car is small beans compared to eating one. Which might be a point if he was a grown man when he did it, and it was the family pet he ate.

Scooter wrote: »
    Their point is that strapping a dog to your car is small beans compared to eating one. Which might be a point if he was a grown man when he did it, and it was the family pet he ate.

Also if he shit all over the plate.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    kKcIQ.png
    What a silly goose.

@John McCain Aw, that puppy is so cute I could just eat it up!

^ The only acceptable response.

• Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    It's not supposed to make sense, it's just another conservative "joke". As long as it's something they can believe to be true and as long as it attacks "The enemy" it is funny and genius and comforting because mommy and daddyThe Party is perfect in every way and even if it isn't everything else is worse.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I mean, it's sort of funny.

Lh96QHG.png
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    It should be up to the contractors to come in and bid fairly (omg Free Market!) and not scrap and re-award contracts ad naseum.

It already is up to the contractors to bid fairly, for the most part. Proposal writers aren't psychics. Shit happens, requirements change, and suddenly you need more money to make it happen. That's just how R&D works.

The contracting process needs reforms, but removing cost+ isn't one of them. A more effective rating system, and a more effective means for contract officers to bar known parasites from bids is what's in order.

[edit] Sorry, you said cost+%. Those actually are incredibly stupid.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of contracts are bid out fairly...and then Congress goes and overspends anyway. My father has worked finances for Lockheed since he left the Air Force in the early 90's. I remember him being so proud of them getting the F-22 contract and what they were going to do with the proposed technology for how cheap it was supposed to be. Then everyone and their brother's got their hands in the pot and shit went to hell. Now I can't even bring it up around him without him seething.

Which, I guess is something else to take away. Major military contractors are no different than a large bank or insurance company. Most of the people that work there want to do a good job. It's the assholes that see a way to pad their pockets at the top that tend to fuck with things. Guess that shouldn't really be a surprise but...

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/18/romney-campaign-bracketing-aims-to-step-on-presidents-message/?hpt=hp_bn5

Oh yes, please do this, Mr. Romney. Please speak publicly before Obama at every stop he makes.

I mean, I'm not the only one who sees this as a positive, right? Why not just hand Obama your bullet list of talking points so he can smack them down easier. It's not like he already has the edge on oratory.

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

I know there was audio with that video, but I'm not sure Cantor said anything. He just kept asking questions. "Well, we should consider raising taxes on the poor, or maybe just gutting their safety net, but the key is growth. How do you grow the economy? How do you deal with things, can you keep on milking the pie if the pie is shrinking? Do you do something or is it better to just sit here blaming the poor and mixing metaphors? How do you grow the economy? Bueller? Bueller?"

I don't know, why don't you FUCKING TELL US, FUCKHEAD.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    So I broke the rule on the don't read the comments section with that Cantor video. At least a couple hours ago, they were actually intelligent comments. I'm not sure if that's the case anymore at this point.
    Delzhand wrote: »
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/18/romney-campaign-bracketing-aims-to-step-on-presidents-message/?hpt=hp_bn5

Oh yes, please do this, Mr. Romney. Please speak publicly before Obama at every stop he makes.

I mean, I'm not the only one who sees this as a positive, right? Why not just hand Obama your bullet list of talking points so he can smack them down easier. It's not like he already has the edge on oratory.

Yeah, it makes it easier for Obama to beat Romney down; especially, since this President is good at public speaking.

I see what the Romney camp is up to but it's not going to work the way they think it will. Yes, it can be helpful to be the first or last person heard, since people forget about everyone in the middle, but that only works when we're talking about cases where it all happens in the span of a couple hours. The thing is people will get a chance to digest the Presidents message before they hear Romney spew his crap the next day, if they're even inclined to listen to it.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »

I know there was audio with that video, but I'm not sure Cantor said anything. He just kept asking questions. "Well, we should consider raising taxes on the poor, or maybe just gutting their safety net, but the key is growth. How do you grow the economy? How do you deal with things, can you keep on milking the pie if the pie is shrinking? Do you do something or is it better to just sit here blaming the poor and mixing metaphors? How do you grow the economy? Bueller? Bueller?"

I don't know, why don't you FUCKING TELL US, FUCKHEAD.

Exactly. Rhetorical questions only work if you have, y'know, non-question rhetoric to back it up.

I like how he says, in a long way, that poor people should be taxed, and when asked directly he avoids answering "yes." So, double-speak ++.

Oh also, massive disconnect from the American people.

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Cantor's a shit eater. Always has been, always will be. I really want to see someone smack the smug right off his face.

Preferably Biden.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I'm actually kind of disappointed with the lack of Biden smacking people around this administration. Maybe it's just because I've been gone so much but I barely register him.

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    There really does need to be more Biden smacking going on, honestly.

Hell, If I had my way, I'd give him a baseball bat and lock him in a room with everyone who works at Fox News.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    There really does need to be more Biden smacking going on, honestly.

Hell, If I had my way, I'd give him a baseball bat and lock him in a room with everyone who works at Fox News.

Biggest Biden-grin ever.

I want them to put Cantor as the VP just to watch that debate.

It'll never happen, but that schadenfreude would be fantastic.

Lh96QHG.png
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    I want them to put Cantor as the VP just to watch that debate.

It'll never happen, but that schadenfreude would be fantastic.

Which is a shame because it would make it even easier to get rid of the bitch in my district because I'm pretty sure he'll remind his constituents that he was quite willing to fuck them over after the natural disasters of 2011 that they experienced.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    kKcIQ.png
    What a silly goose.

It's not like they raise those dogs as beloved pets and then eat them, anymore than we raise cows as members of the family then eat them.

On a related note, a friend of mine's parents had a farm with a cow that she named Scooter. At our college's Fall Festival, she was in a club that for their fund raising was serving kebabs. Her dad provided the beef. Yup. Even she was making Scooter-kebab jokes. What a horrible monster.

Also we eat tons of pork and pigs are very intelligent animals that make great pets. We're all monsters. Except for Jews and Muslims.

steam_sig.png
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Romney's giving the commencement address at Liberty University next month. That's Falwell's school, for reference.

The late Falwell. Because that fat ass is dead.

The late Jerry Falwell who is a dead rotting corpse.

Man, how many years now? And it's still satisfying to get to say that.

He is so dead.

With Love and Courage
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    @Spool32

I'd like you to expand on number three from your list there because all evidence is that the far right has the GOP by the balls. Case in point, how many times has Boehner's office floated a sensible compromise but when Cantor gets wind of it there's a "meeting between the Speaker and Conservative leadership" and all of a sudden that compromise is unthinkable.

Mitt Romney is not a man I believe can stand up to anything. He couldn't even tell Limbaugh he was off base for attacking a law student. He will do and say whatever he needs to to get people to vote for him.

Romney as president with a Democrat majority in Congress, that probably won't be so bad. Romney as president with the current Congress? Hello rubber stamp for the Tea Party agenda.

The far right is uncontrolable because they don't think they owe shit to anyone, which is why Boehner can't corral them in the House.

Also the President has done plenty outside of "politics". Also, why should someone who chooses to work for the government and work to improve citizens lives be dismissed as "not real work"?

To tackle the also: experience as a boss is not the same as experience on a board or as an organizer or a law firm drone or even a professor. Being President was the first experience Obama had running a team or being a boss, and I prefer to have a President who isn't learning as he goes.
    So, Obama's experience as a community organizer who set up job training, college prep tutoring, and tenants rights organizations is not the kind of leadership you're looking for. Mitt Romney's experience shutting down factories, enticing a dozen people to move to a different location to serve in a different factory, then demanding that they repay their moving expenses when he shuts down that factory is the kind of experience you're looking for?

It appalls me that anyone can see Mitt Romney's years as a professional piece of shit as a positive. It really is beyond the fucking pale.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    @Spool32

I'd like you to expand on number three from your list there because all evidence is that the far right has the GOP by the balls. Case in point, how many times has Boehner's office floated a sensible compromise but when Cantor gets wind of it there's a "meeting between the Speaker and Conservative leadership" and all of a sudden that compromise is unthinkable.

Mitt Romney is not a man I believe can stand up to anything. He couldn't even tell Limbaugh he was off base for attacking a law student. He will do and say whatever he needs to to get people to vote for him.

Romney as president with a Democrat majority in Congress, that probably won't be so bad. Romney as president with the current Congress? Hello rubber stamp for the Tea Party agenda.

The far right is uncontrolable because they don't think they owe shit to anyone, which is why Boehner can't corral them in the House.

Also the President has done plenty outside of "politics". Also, why should someone who chooses to work for the government and work to improve citizens lives be dismissed as "not real work"?

To tackle the also: experience as a boss is not the same as experience on a board or as an organizer or a law firm drone or even a professor. Being President was the first experience Obama had running a team or being a boss, and I prefer to have a President who isn't learning as he goes.
    So, Obama's experience as a community organizer who set up job training, college prep tutoring, and tenants rights organizations is not the kind of leadership you're looking for. Mitt Romney's experience shutting down factories, enticing a dozen people to move to a different location to serve in a different factory, then demanding that they repay their moving expenses when he shuts down that factory is the kind of experience you're looking for?

It appalls me that anyone can see Mitt Romney's years as a professional piece of shit as a positive. It really is beyond the fucking pale.

It's not hard to understand.

How else does one justify the decision you already made to vote Republican because ... I don't know, you hate women or something.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Editor of Harvard Law Review is a leader of a team. Organizing a community is absolutely leading a team. Running a successful campaign for the motherfucking Presidency of the United States is leading a team. That talking point was stupid when it first emerged, it's still stupid, it will always be stupid.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    To tackle the also: experience as a boss is not the same as experience on a board or as an organizer or a law firm drone or even a professor.

No, it really is pretty much the same thing. Except that "Editor of Harvard Law Review" looks a bit better on your CV than "Team Leader at my local McDonalds for 4 years."

With Love and Courage
    Even Fox has Obama winning Ohio (6 points) and Florida (2).

Winning Florida is typically "GG", correct?

With Love and Courage
    The Ender wrote: »

Usually.

It's a large state which can swing wildly from election to election thanks to its heady mix of deep south natives, northern retirees, and the people like me, who are a product of the unholy breeding of the two.

I think no Republican has ever won without also winning Florida though. At least not in a long, long time. Ohio's similar in importance.

Lh96QHG.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    The worst thing about that "45% dont pay any taxes" statistic is people are too fucking stupid about finances to know if that's them.

My brother brought that up to me and when I mentioned that he fell into that last year after his dependents, deductions, HOPE tax credit and whatnot he flat out would not accept it.

"No, they took taxes out of every one of my checks". It's easy to see why the part behind that number is also against education

edited April 2012

For Democrats, yes.

Like the bare minimum for Democrats + Florida gives us this map.

On the other hand, here's an Obama win with both Ohio and Florida lost. And actually he could afford to lose New Mexico as well.

EDIT: For reference, that first map combined with the fact that Ohio absolutely loathes the Republican Party right now is why I'm very, very confident about this election. With the bare minimum for Democrats + Ohio, Obama needs one of Virginia, Indiana, North Carolina, Florida, Missouri, or Georgia, or some combination of two of Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada, New Hampshire, and Iowa (other than NH + New Mexico, in which case he'd need Omaha too).

Unless of course we're living in a universe where PA is more red than Ohio, which is not one I'm familiar with. Or like, Wisconsin decides Scott Walker is swell or something.

enlightenedbum on
    Well, gee gee Mitt. Back to sulking about the unfairness of this cruel world and it's tax system while addled out of your mind on finely cut cocaine and banging Playboy models on your yacht.

Wow, Ohio and Florida really are big.

This is a fun map.

With Love and Courage
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Romney's giving the commencement address at Liberty University next month. That's Falwell's school, for reference.

The late Falwell. Because that fat ass is dead.

The late Jerry Falwell who is a dead rotting corpse.

Man, how many years now? And it's still satisfying to get to say that.

He is so dead.

In hell too. Don't forget the eternal damnation.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    I'm not a theist and I wouldn't send even Mr. Falwell to burn forever for the sake of my own vanity.

But man it makes me happy to say that the fucker is dead. :)

...I'm curious what Mitt is going to talk about? I mean, he's not a creationist or even a traditional Christian. Half of the students at Liberty probably think he's a sissy heretic.

With Love and Courage
    I'm not a theist and I wouldn't send even Mr. Falwell to burn forever for the sake of my own vanity.

But man it makes me happy to say that the fucker is dead. :)

...I'm curious what Mitt is going to talk about? I mean, he's not a creationist or even a traditional Christian. Half of the students at Liberty probably think he's a sissy heretic.

He's going to talk about American Values and how the US is a Christian Nation and the entire speech will imply, or maybe even outright state, that Obama is an Other (Muslim).

Lh96QHG.png
    I sort-of understand that... but to what purpose? Most of them already believe that (among other things). Throwing meat to the dogs seems like a poor campaign strategy.

With Love and Courage
    Well, Romney has to convince the far right that they can trust him. Right now they don't (and honestly, for pretty good reasons) so he has to bend over at every opportunity like a pledge in rush week.

Lh96QHG.png
This discussion has been closed.