As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallout] New Vegas: Ultimate Edition is now out on Steam! Now you have no excuse.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    For those who don't know, you can get Fallout 1 for free today and tomorrow over at GOG.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Are there any mods that let me mess with my skills? Specifically science? I'm trying to boost it. I checked the Nexus, but I haven't found anything.

Maybe even a suit that boosts science by a lot or something like that?

Asking again since I got BOTP.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Are there any mods that let me mess with my skills? Specifically science? I'm trying to boost it. I checked the Nexus, but I haven't found anything.

You can access the console to directly modify your skill values if you really want.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

You can access the console to directly modify your skill values if you really want.

Oh, thanks! Didn't think of that.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Can you run the original fallout (from gog) in a window, or at least not make it stretch somehow?

My old ati card had an obvious option to allow games to run non-stretched but I can't seem to figure it out on my nvidia.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Well , my explosive and melee character is off to a decent start. Where is a good place to get 40mm grenades?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Edit- Double post.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    You can always check the shops. Original game was hard to come by, but one of the earlier patches put them into vendor loot tables.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    The Khan Armory and Hoover Dam Quatermaster are probably the best sources. You need to be good with the Khans for access to it (it's a ways north of Goodsprings in the basement of a ruined house outside Red Rock Whatsit), which is likely to be difficult to get to early on. The Hoover Dam Quartermaster, you need to navigate the labyrinthine offices below the dam, but if you're in good standing with the NCR or can pass a speech check, he'll sell to you.

40mm grenades aren't cheap though.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Well , my explosive and melee character is off to a decent start. Where is a good place to get 40mm grenades?

Well, of you happen to be on PC, and you happen to have the Underground Hideout mod installed, you can have them delivered right to your door!

If not, well, then what everyone else said.

Seriously, that mod is the best mod.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Elendil wrote: »
    The Khan Armory and Hoover Dam Quatermaster are probably the best sources. You need to be good with the Khans for access to it (it's a ways north of Goodsprings in the basement of a ruined house outside Red Rock Whatsit), which is likely to be difficult to get to early on. The Hoover Dam Quartermaster, you need to navigate the labyrinthine offices below the dam, but if you're in good standing with the NCR or can pass a speech check, he'll sell to you.

40mm grenades aren't cheap though.

I remember him but I don't think the ncr will like me much this run. Shame I have to wait for lonesome road for the red rockets glare =/

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    You can go in and out of Lonesome Road as you please, so dipping in to grab it is always an option.

• Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Can you run the original fallout (from gog) in a window, or at least not make it stretch somehow?

My old ati card had an obvious option to allow games to run non-stretched but I can't seem to figure it out on my nvidia.

It's been a while but I believe the high resolution patch deals with that. Here's a link to the thread at GOG. Of course my monitor is set to maintain aspect ratio automatically so I may be wrong.

Here's another thread specifically about the windowed mode.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Apostate wrote: »

It's been a while but I believe the high resolution patch deals with that. Here's a link to the thread at GOG. Of course my monitor is set to maintain aspect ratio automatically so I may be wrong.

Here's another thread specifically about the windowed mode.

Awesome, thanks.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    You can go in and out of Lonesome Road as you please, so dipping in to grab it is always an option.

Ended up doing this just now . Just was waiting for the 50k caps it takes to buy all the upgrades. Tried it out and it is the most glorious thing ever. I have spent the entire game blowing stuff up with my grenade rifle and now a fully automatic rocket launcher. To hell with energy weapons I now know what to use to have to kill everything! Only downside is that its surprisingly perk heavy. Ha vent even started getting the melee perks yet. Might also need to pick up the resistant limbs and health perk as well because even with the resist explosives perk im shooting my legs off on a regular basis. It does no damage to me it just cripples my limbs. Still things must explode regardless.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Explosives run is still one of my favorites. It is perk heavy indeed, but worth it when you're just blowing everything up.

Sneaking up on a pack of fiends around a firepit and shooting a grenade right in the center is, well, a blast.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I have no idea where I left my Tesla Cannon or Gattling Lazer. Is it possible they glitched out of existence? They're not where I store everything (Feilds Shack or Novac).

While it's possible I guess I somehow put them elsewhere, but highly unlikely, as I put those weapons away before going to the strip - and they're in my inventory the save before the first save on the strip - there isnt any sort of perk/whatever that lets you know where you put stuff, is there?

I am so pissed right now.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    hopefully you are on pc and get your wall up and running, it helps quite a bit remembering where stuff is. if not i wouldnt sweat it too badly, with the exception of uniques no gun is irreplaceable.

• Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    Anyone tried the Increased Wasteland Spawns mod recently? I remember it was a staple of my modlist for quite some time, until I eventually tracked it down as the culprit of every single one of my savegame's crashing and irreversible corruption issues. That was about a year ago, and I noticed that the latest version is the 26th of October. Any idea of it's stability?

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Well, 101 hours into New Vegas and now I can't finish. I didn't know about the glitch with the Great Khans in For the Republic, Part 2. Ugggggh.

My immense store of goodwill for this game has just run out.

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Well, 101 hours into New Vegas and now I can't finish. I didn't know about the glitch with the Great Khans in For the Republic, Part 2. Ugggggh.

Aw, I remember when my immense store of goodwill for this game ran out.

Our little boy is growing up!

To be honest, though, I still really love New Vegas. It's just that it hard crashes my 360 like ... all the time. Once or twice, well, that's to be expected with any game. But once or twice a day, well, that's a completely different story.

• Options

Wait, what is this?

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

Well, that's not QUITE true. If the NCR quest glitches out, there's always Yes Man.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »

Well, that's not QUITE true. If the NCR quest glitches out, there's always Yes Man.

The superior choice as it happens to be ! 9 hours in old world blues on this run and I forgot that there isn't an medium armor to repair with. Also running out of rockets and 40mm grenades. Speaking of which I gave the satchels that ED-E can make for you a try and Jesus I nearly nuked myself into oblivion . Add to the fact you get some for free everyday and its pretty awesome.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    So I've been playing through je sawyer's mod and so far I like the pacing changes much better than the base game. It's nice actually using things like the plasma pistol and 357 rather than out leveling them by the time you finish primm. I even managed a low tech legate kill in nipton, dynamite and pickpocket for the win.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    GDC uploaded the Tim Cain presentation now themselves

http://gdcvault.com/play/1015843/Classic-Game-Postmortem

• Options
    edited April 2012
    So now having finished my playthrough of explosions and unarmed I have to say it was a blast.Thump thump is still better then the dlc grenade rifles because of its added range and very similar stats it was my main gun for pretty much the entire game. Rockets red glare is also really good weapon but is really expensive , the mods the ammo and the repairs all add up at the start. Late game its a minor issue EDE repairs it for free and you have so much caps the ammo price doesn't matter. The big surprise was the super heated saturnite fist. Talking to toaster I got the option to heat it and decided to take pyromaniac since the grenade launcher and rocket launcher also have incendiary ammo and it was the best decision ever. Uppercutting someone head off and seeing it arc while it burns is awesome. It also lets me two/three shot deathclaws. Speaking of which my second surprise was the satchel. Ede will give them to you for free and these portable wmd mines made my fights against irradiated deathclaws so much easier. On my other playthroughs they always killed me if I fought more then one. This time I went into couriers mile and made a right and found four right there , well I backpedaled while placing satchels out of panic only for the group to hit one of the satchels and instantly be crippled and low health.Second one finished them off. Only disappointment was melee , old glory and blood nap are fantastic but only appear towards the end of lonesome road , by that time I already had my super hot saturnite fist and a maxed unarmed skill since a lot of the melee /unarmed perks need high amounts of both skills. So yeah from now on explosives /unarmed for me.

Edit- Also since I had a high melee for dead money I actually had fun with it. I always loved its story its just that playing it with 20 melee made it so damn aggravating.Made me appreciate it a good deal more. Still not as good as OWB but then again nothing is.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    I enjoyed Dead Money. It was atmospheric, with an emphasis on survival and resource management.

Playing on the highest difficulty made me appreciate being able to kill ghosts by simply crippling a single limb. Far easier than taking all of their health down to 0.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    So being in an amblin', ramblin' mood I decided to continue on my second Fallout 3 playthrough that I started sometime last year, and I finally got around to following Mister Crowley to Fort Constantine. . . until he got slaughtered by an Albino Radscorpion about 1/3 of the way there. It was a fun trip while it lasted, though; gave me a good excuse to admire the scenery and take a look at the AI pathing. I've also been having a lot of fun finding things and places I completely missed the first time around, even after I took my time and did plenty of exploration. Maybe when I hit 30 I'll take Explorer and see exactly how much I passed over.

• Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    Bethesda did a pretty shitty job as far as balance towards the end of FO3, i still feel there are a lot of strides that can be made to making combat fun throughout a fallout game, but damn it takes walking a razors edge with these engines. I have really high hopes for f04.

Hopefully you are on a system that supports tweaks(pc)

• Options
    in retrospect, if i ever run fallout 3 again, i may delete the broken steel DLC

the extra levels are ridiculous, the monsters are tremendously annoying, and the actual quests are blegh

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular

the extra levels are ridiculous, the monsters are tremendously annoying, and the actual quests are blegh

Didn't Broken Steel enable you to keep playing after "the ending" though?

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular

Not to mention the gear is extremely overpowered.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    Fallout 3's balance was pretty terrible once you got a reasonable number of levels under your belt. Still fun to wander the wastes...

• Options
    i have found it so hard to get back into this game now that my Tesla cannon and Gatling Laser have glitched out of existence.

I was having so much fun, and it really shouldn't even matter, but it just bothers me so much. I know Im being super weird or OCD about it, but everytime I put it in the XBox I just get frustrated now.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    I'd be pretty pissed off if those weapons disappeared with no way of getting them back so I can't really blame you for feeling like that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Its so bad that the last save I have with them present is 5 hours back, and I honestly am debating going back - even though Ive completed about a bazillion quests since then.

• Options
    Gattling Lasers are easily replaceable. I'm not so sure about the Tesla Cannon--that sounds like a unique.

• Options
    The only other ways I see online to get the Gattling Laser is to either join the Brotherhood of Steel and buy one, or some quests that I think I've already either done or gotten rid of. Kinda bummed.

I may just say forget it and power through the end anyway. I have a really awesome Tri-Laser rifle now that I've put attachments and stuff on that is apparently just as powerful anyway.

This discussion has been closed.