As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[StarCraft2] POST IN THE NEW THREAD. DIABLO KILLED THIS ONE.

• itswebitsweb Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    815165 wrote: »
    the problem is is that their solution to the pvz deathball being unwinnable for zergs is that they decided to make the zvp deathball stronger

it's a big battle of dumb units made by dumb people

this is the part that always irks me.

think you can design and balance better? do it.

itsweb on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    i'll get right on that

in the mean time let us never complain about anything bad

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Complain about bad things, but I'm not really that excited about calling the designers 'dumb'.

let us also never be facetious again

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Complain about bad things, but I'm not really that excited about calling the designers 'dumb'.

there are some pretty dumb decisions that continue to exist

for example, we had to actually ask for chat channels in this game

thats pretty fucking dumb design decision

we are still asking for more reliable connections for tournaments

as for gameplay, warpgates sure are a good mechanic, huh?

how about forcefields? those aren't dumb at all

Being facetious on the internet is like being sarcastic on the internet

exactly.

Dhalphir wrote: »

The problem with calling people dumb based on decisions made in the development of a game (or anything really) is that unless you understand exactly how and why those decisions were made or came to be made, there isn't really any proper reason to be throwing around labels like dumb or stupid or incompetent. There could be all manner of reasons, all sorts of factors, a whole heap of variables as to why these decisions were made or have not been fixed yet. Unless we know what they are, we can't really go around making objective statements like saying XYZ persons are dumb.

Be subjective all you want, sure, but then you're saying stuff like "I think they're being dumb". Maybe I'm just being picky about terminology, but this is sort of how my train of thought runs when I see these sorts of things said.

I'll agree that the interface design and certain other options (lack of lan or an alternative) is pretty awful, but as far as gameplay is concerned there are very few glaring problems that I can think of that I don't particularly like. Funnily enough most of them have to do with Protoss eheheh

• TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Even though 100 things about this game piss me off

It's pretty cool how little balancing Blizzard has actually done.

Every other game that I've played competitively was dominated by whoever could react fastest to monthly balance overhauls

TannerMS on
    fuck select and his warp spiders

that was dumb

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    when i call someone dumb on a forum post

i don't think i should have to specify each time that its my opinion

• mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    I guess it is a reflection on how good BW was that the developers of one of the best designed and balanced RTS games ever made are considered 'dumb' for design decisions that have been shown to not be that good after a year of play.

did we really just go from complaining about dimaga turtling when that was the best way to win to praising it because the few other companies that still make rts games are absolutely god awful at it?

edited April 2012
    Okay, sorry, let me clarify. Despite ZvP lategame being not as good as I'd wish, Starcraft 2 is still a really fucking good game, regardless of the quality of other RTS games. And yes, this style of ZvP lategame didn't come about until fairly recently due to a constantly evolving metagame. I can't believe Blizzard didn't forsee this happening when they designed the game! They are so dumb.

mEEksa on
    The deathball problem was apparent as soon as people started playing on maps that allowed a third base, it isn't something new.

I'm not saying it's a problem that should have been fixed by now because it's clearly got a number of different causes from various stages of the game but it's silly to pretend that this stuff has just come up and caught everyone off guard.

Though I'll often bemoan on skype during a match that I, "fucking hate this bullshit game goddamn," I actually love playing this game. I hope hots doesn't fuck shit up.

This isn't a deathball problem, it is the problem that lategame battles are balanced around vortex and the synergy between infestors, broodlords and spine crawlers making it near impossible for Protoss to attack an entrenched Zerg army. Mass spine crawlers hasn't been around for that long, and I'm pretty sure people didn't see it coming until Stephano and Dimaga started rolling over Protoss with it.

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    815165 wrote: »
    The deathball problem was apparent as soon as people started playing on maps that allowed a third base, it isn't something new.

I'm not saying it's a problem that should have been fixed by now because it's clearly got a number of different causes from various stages of the game but it's silly to pretend that this stuff has just come up and caught everyone off guard.

The problem is though, that everything you think is a problem. Hell everything that the PA community as a whole might think is a problem either might be something that

1. Isn't easy or tenable to fix (like Warpgate)
    2. Isn't a problem to an equal number of people

Not to say that you can't complain. That you can't suggest changes, or even that you aren't right when you point out things that are broken. But it's always with those two considerations, I hope.

LoserForHireX on
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    Well anyone who that isn't a problem to is dumb. 8-)

mEEksa wrote: »
    This isn't a deathball problem, it is the problem that lategame battles are balanced around vortex and the synergy between infestors, broodlords and spine crawlers making it near impossible for Protoss to attack an entrenched Zerg army. Mass spine crawlers hasn't been around for that long, and I'm pretty sure people didn't see it coming until Stephano and Dimaga started rolling over Protoss with it.

pretty sure i saw nestea mass spines back in like, april 2011
    although that might have been vs terran

I remember Nestea doing that spine rush vs P FFE a couple of times. That was pretty amazing/hilarious.

cutting down the number of GSL matches per week was a good idea I think

reducing the oversaturation and meaning people are more likely to watch more matches

but i gotta tell you

it fucking sucks that it always seems to be days when I really feel like watching some GSL - its not on.

VODs arent the same

• jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    RedOne wrote: »
    jaziek wrote: »
    RedOne wrote: »
    also, @jaziek

how many games have you left while you were actually even or ahead? dont be idra

I don't leave games I know I'm ahead in.

you seem to have a tendency to always feel behind, though

because most of the time I am behind.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
    I have seen you leave games at absurd times, jaziek. I can't think of any examples right now, but I know I've done a huge analysis of a bunch of your games and in several of them you weren't dead when you left.

On a related note, has anyone ever managed to successfully use the vanilla forum Search to find ANYTHING?

Yeah quite a bit actually.

On a related note, has anyone ever managed to successfully use the vanilla forum Search to find ANYTHING?

How the devil do you use it?

How the devil do you use it?

I type stuff in and then scroll through the stuff looking for what I am after. Sub-par, but it works.

that post timewarp

so i just tried searching for a few things and found them

maybe they've done something with it recently? im sure i nearly killed someone in frustration the last time i tried to use it

I have seen you leave games at absurd times, jaziek. I can't think of any examples right now, but I know I've done a huge analysis of a bunch of your games and in several of them you weren't dead when you left.

I may not have been dead, but it would require me to take stupid big risks, or a MASSIVE fuck up on my opponent's part to get me into a position where I could win.

Like, zerg kills my third.

Yes, he may not actually be able to kill me completely at that moment, but at this point me staying in the game is just stalling the inevitable.

• stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    If someone fucks you up just make DTs and hope they're ill-prepared.
    It is by no means a sound strategy but it is a chance, and if you have no other you may as well take it.

Then, if the DT's don't work, BM the shit out of that fucker and leave.

• stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    See this is why you'll never be good.

If someone isn't prepared for DTs and they fend it off, they won't expect you to go DTs again.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I've been in games where I started complaining about why I lost and then ended up winning

don't leave until there are lings in your main man. it won't hurt you.

this is more how I feel.

warpgate and FF are fucking awesome in a way. they are cool concepts. it turns out that they lead to frustrating gameplay sometimes and are incredibly difficult to balance around. however... they've been balanced around. because of that you can't just rip em out of the game.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    It is SO HARD to not just play another game when your third loss of the day is to a 6 pool. But nope. Gotta stop. 5-3 is a good score. Don't push your luck.

Especially when I did a retarded defence that even a bronze league player could tell me wouldn't work, all pylons and cannons everywhere around the bottom of my ramp.

I KNOW how to hold one, but my brain just goes "nope, not doing that today, sorry."

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    are you doing a specific number of games a day? The Dhal method?

sounds like you had a good day but it's always hard to stop on something frustrating.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I haven't played an actual game of SC2 for ages so for my SEA placement match I proxy 2gated a random player.

I felt extra satisfied beating him because it turns out on top of being random he rolled terran, the double sin.

So anyway I'm still diamond SEA. Feels good mang.

• marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The Dhal method

It's just

"methods" are usually for ways to improve chances of getting pregnant, or diet, or something

marty_0001 on
This discussion has been closed.