As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] Any word on a Google+ community page?

evanextremeevanextreme Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in PAX Archive
Is there any sort of community page for Google+ in the works? If so, could someone link me? I really want to start using G+ more, and this would be the perfect way to get me into it.
Thanks!

New Yorker. @evanextreme on Twitter. I do a ton of things on the internet.
I went to East 11, Prime 12, East 13, and will be attending East 15.
evanextreme on

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Is there any sort of community page for Google+ in the works? If so, could someone link me? I really want to start using G+ more, and this would be the perfect way to get me into it.
    Thanks!

No, not that I know of. There was a G+ thread though awhile back that has pax people you can add to your circles. Generally things get shared by individuals on G+ and they make their rounds.

• evanextremeevanextreme Registered User regular
    Maybe we could have a PAX Community Google+ page, that would add people attending to a circle?

• MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    Once you create it, link it up in the OP :)

edited April 2012
    As long as it's entirely Opt-in and not just randomly adding people to one giant circle to share. We had a lengthy discussion about that already, that anything G+ related on this forum should be an opt-in scenario.

zerzhul on
  • MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    As long as it's entirely Opt-in and not just randomly adding people to one giant circle to share. We had a lengthy discussion about that already, that anything G+ related on this forum should be an opt-in scenario.

Oh yeah, definitely. Non-consensual circling is naughty and make me a sad badger :(

MelesMeles wrote: »

Oh yeah, definitely. Non-consensual circling is naughty and make me a sad badger :(

I was thinking if it would be kind of like the twitter list, in which you need to either +1 or Add the page, and then post your name in a forum post.

• NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    G+ Pages can't circle someone until said person first circles the page, so there's no possibility of blind circling.

Nullzone wrote: »
    G+ Pages can't circle someone until said person first circles the page, so there's no possibility of blind circling.

So it's not any more useful than a forum list?

One thing that I like about the twitter lists, for example, is that I can create columns in my tweet programs that are just the list on their own. It sounds like this would just end up being a manual list of people that everyone would have to circle individually anyhow?

edited April 2012
    I'm not sure I understand the problem; a G+ page is functionally useless if you don't circle it, even aside of the blind circling prevention.

Nullzone on
    I'm not sure I understand the problem; a G+ page is functionally useless if you don't circle it, even aside of the blind circling prevention.

I'm not sure I presented a problem? I was just asking "is a central G+ page useful?"

So it's not any more useful than a forum list?

You know, you have a good point...

Ah. Well, to answer your question more directly then, a Page would only be useful if one or more community members had access to the page to post updates, much like the paxcommunity twitter account (I'm assuming you do that?). It's not really going to serve well as a "people hub" just to find other attendees (though you could certainly just use the Page membership list to accomplish that; it's just an incredibly elementary use of the Page and you might as well just have people post their gplus.to links in a forum thread).

G+ is all about sorting and compartmentalizing information streams, so if there isn't going to be an information stream that is maintained to this end then a G+ Page isn't really going to help anything.

I guess my point is that it seems like "pages" on G+ (or facebook for that matter) are good if they have content, but if it's just a list of people to go circle on your own, it's not adding much value. My reason in comparing this to the twitter list is that the twitter list by design has content, because when you go look at the list you get all the posts of those people. If I look at a G+ page, I would get a list of names, but the only content there is whatever the owner of the page chooses to post. There's no good way to do something like the twitter list on G+ because G+ just doesn't have a feature like that.

edited April 2012
    Actually, if people just linked us to their profile on a forum post, the page could make a new circle of them, and share that circle on their profile. People could then add that circle, individually view them, and remove them whenever they want.

evanextreme on
    edited April 2012
    I guess my point is that it seems like "pages" on G+ (or facebook for that matter) are good if they have content, but if it's just a list of people to go circle on your own, it's not adding much value. My reason in comparing this to the twitter list is that the twitter list by design has content, because when you go look at the list you get all the posts of those people. If I look at a G+ page, I would get a list of names, but the only content there is whatever the owner of the page chooses to post. There's no good way to do something like the twitter list on G+ because G+ just doesn't have a feature like that.

You have the right of it, and that's what circle sharing is intended to be for. Unfortunately as demonstrated with the last thread, G+ privacy is not well understood by many of its own users, so circle sharing doesn't happen much since it carries such a heavy negative privacy stigma.

Nullzone on

Yeah if you go back and re-read the last G+ thread you'll see that circle sharing was /tabooed/ because it ended up causing people to get shared that didn't want to be sahred. Unless G+ implements something like the twitter list feature, it's probably best to just stick to a manual list in a forum thread.

Thats too bad :( oh well!