As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Of Browsing

BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
So after multiple crashes today I've finally fed up enough with my old browser (www.maxthon.com) to use one of these 'other' (read: Firefox or Opera, maybe Safari for Win) browsers.

I put Firefox on my computer awhile ago because of terrible slowdowns associated with Maxthon, but I didn't want to spend the time it would've taken me to customize Firefox to make it work like Maxthon, until today. Now one of the most important things I wanted to bring to firefox was all my old Mouse Gestures so I downloaded Mouse Gestures (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/39) and All-in-One Gestures (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/12) since neither did all the things Maxthon did naturally, hell combined they are still missing one of my oft-used gestures. The problem is, those add-ons don't seem to play friendly togther and All-in-One is the only one that works if they are both activated, is there any way around this?

Currently I'm trying to get Opera working instead because I hear its supposed to be the best of the browsers anyways, but is there a way to customize the Mouse Gestures in Opera? I activated them by doing one since I forgot it wasn't my normal browser, but I can't find an option to cange any of them. Is there something I can download to let me change them?

Also in this thread: Random talk about browsers, and why your choice is the best/right choice.

Burtletoy on

• RookRook Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Although I use firefox, I really don't like it. It has a tendancy to be really unstable when paired up with Adobe Acrobat, or Quicktime Movies. However, the setup is what I'm used to, I like how it looks, I'm comfortable it's all customised to how I want it, there's lots of neat short cuts (Ctrl-Shift-T ftw!). I feel kinda locked in, or just too old to learn how to use a new browser.

Rook on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Those were exactly my opinions on my old browser, but I finally got fed up since it crashed trying to load page 68 of the thread on Nintendos E3 confrence and that and the fact that it freezes for about 4 seconds after loading every page.

So I'm trying these new ones now, but I feel like I'm gonna go back to my old set-up pretty quickly as these are way to foreign to me. Either when they developed Maxthon they were secretly making it just for me or I got so used to the way it did everything I decided that it was perfect, but I'm ready for some new.

If I decide to go the Firefox way what is Ctrl-Shift-T? Also what are other tricks for Firefox/Opera that I should know if/when I finally switch over?

Burtletoy on
  • seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You only need one or the other of the mouse gesture extensions. What gesture are you missing?
    I use just the plain old "Mouse Gesture" one, and you can customize gestures if you're used to different gestures than its defaults.

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ctrl-Shift-T reopens a browser tab that you accidently closed (which has saved many a post on G&T from oblivion). I'm fairly sure this is probably a standard feature in other browsers, it's just nice to know.

Rook on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    is there a way to customize the Mouse Gestures in Opera?

Yes, but it's kind of clunky. You'll only have to do it once, though. Guide here.

I've used Opera for years, but the only tips I can think of are F11 to go into fullscreen mode, and the "fit to width" view option (for h-scroll breakage. It resizes large images and overrides fixed widths applied to page elements) that I've never been able to find in other browsers, though I'm sure it has to be there somewhere.

For what it's worth, I keep thinking I'm having problems with slowdown and freezing (for a few seconds, not like a crash) in Opera. Then I try Firefox instead and realise that it's way worse, thus probably something to do with the site.

EDIT:
    Rook wrote: »
    Ctrl-Shift-T reopens a browser tab that you accidently closed (which has saved many a post on G&T from oblivion). I'm fairly sure this is probably a standard feature in other browsers, it's just nice to know.

Opera has a trashcan icon that provides a drop down menu of all recently closed tabs.

japan on
    edited July 2007
    seasleepy wrote: »
    You only need one or the other of the mouse gesture extensions. What gesture are you missing?
    I use just the plain old "Mouse Gesture" one, and you can customize gestures if you're used to different gestures than its defaults.

Gesturing Up and Down, I was to use as Scroll to Top and Scroll to Bottom, but those arn't options on the Mouse Gesture Add-on. Also for some reason I really like to be able to double click to open a new tab that goes straight to google.com. Also I REALLY hate that if there is some text selected and I wanna change what is selected I have to click once to change the focus point then click (again) and drag or else it just acts as copy/paste the text.

It appears Opera also does that weird thing with selecting text, is there a way to turn this off?

Burtletoy on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Gesturing Up and Down, I was to use as Scroll to Top and Scroll to Bottom, but those arn't options on the Mouse Gesture Add-on. Also for some reason I really like to be able to double click to open a new tab that goes straight to google.com. Also I REALLY hate that if there is some text selected and I wanna change what is selected I have to click once to change the focus point then click (again) and drag or else it just acts as copy/paste the text.

It appears Opera also does that weird thing with selecting text, is there a way to turn this off?

Uninstall Mouse Gestures and just use All in One Gestures. You can customize the gestures in the extension options and set Up to "Scroll to top of page" and Down to "Scroll to bottom of page".

If you want to be able to double click to open a tab to google.com, get Tab Mix Plus, set your homepage to google.com, set your home page to load on new tabs, and make sure that the "double click on tab bar" is set to open a new tab.

Then you can start discovering all the firefox extensions that you've been missing out on like Download Statusbar.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I REALLY hate that if there is some text selected and I wanna change what is selected I have to click once to change the focus point then click (again) and drag or else it just acts as copy/paste the text.

I'm really not sure what you mean. Is this in a text box? Do you mean if you try to select text within what is already selected?

japan on
    edited July 2007
    RandomEngy wrote: »

Uninstall Mouse Gestures and just use All in One Gestures. You can customize the gestures in the extension options and set Up to "Scroll to top of page" and Down to "Scroll to bottom of page".

If you want to be able to double click to open a tab to google.com, get Tab Mix Plus, set your homepage to google.com, set your home page to load on new tabs, and make sure that the "double click on tab bar" is set to open a new tab.

Then you can start discovering all the firefox extensions that you've been missing out on like Download Statusbar.

Yea, but see All-in-One Gestures doesn't let me do a left+right click to reload the tab and a right+left to close the tab. Like I said if they were combined they'd work great, but they don't combine which is the problem. But thanks for that Tab Mix Plus, if I end up going with Firefox I'll use that for sure.

Yes, I know I'm really picky about getting this to work right, but like I said I was willing to put up with a lot of shit in my old browser just because everything in it was set-up so perfectly for me.
    japan wrote:
    Burtletoy wrote: I REALLY hate that if there is some text selected and I wanna change what is selected I have to click once to change the focus point then click (again) and drag or else it just acts as copy/paste the text.

I'm really not sure what you mean. Is this in a text box? Do you mean if you try to select text within what is already selected?

If I were to click on the Address Bar it will automatically select all text in it, which is good and fine, but then say I wanted to delete the last part of the URL and just keep the www.penny-arcade.com part. In that situation on my old browser, and in Microsoft Word and all other text editors I've ever used, I click (once) and drag from the ...cade.com part until the end and press delete. On both Firefox and Opera I'd have to click (1st click) to reset the text with none of it selected then click (2nd click) and drag from ...cade.com to the end and press delete. If you try just clicking and draging as in the first example on Firefox/Opera it acts as if you are trying to copy/paste the text which annoys me.

Burtletoy on
    edited July 2007
    japan wrote: »
    is there a way to customize the Mouse Gestures in Opera?

Yes, but it's kind of clunky. You'll only have to do it once, though. Guide here.

So that guide you listed tells me to make a copy then edit the copy, after doing this my gestures don't work since its still running off the "main" file. Is there a reason I shouldn't just edit the main one other then losing the defaults which I would have no problem what-so-ever with?

Burtletoy on
    edited July 2007
    For plain old Mouse Gestures, you can add the Scroll to Top and Scroll to Bottom, but you have to do it yourself and it's kind of a pain in the ass. But it works!

Open up the preferences for Mouse Gestures.
    Click on Edit Gestures.
    Click on Browser Gestures.
    Scroll down until you hit just plain old D or U, and then hit Edit.
    On function type, hit Custom.
    In the gesture name type in "Scroll to top" (or bottom).
    In the javascript field, c/p this for top: globalSrcEvent.view.scrollByPages(-99)
    and this for bottom: globalSrcEvent.view.scrollByPages(99)

seasleepy on
    edited July 2007
    seasleepy wrote: »
    For plain old Mouse Gestures, you can add the Scroll to Top and Scroll to Bottom, but you have to do it yourself and it's kind of a pain in the ass. But it works!

Open up the preferences for Mouse Gestures.
    Click on Edit Gestures.
    Click on Browser Gestures.
    Scroll down until you hit just plain old D or U, and then hit Edit.
    On function type, hit Custom.
    In the gesture name type in "Scroll to top" (or bottom).
    In the javascript field, c/p this for top: globalSrcEvent.view.scrollByPages(-99)
    and this for bottom: globalSrcEvent.view.scrollByPages(99)

Thank you for that.

And RandomEngy, your Tab Mix Plus Add-On doesn't work. I set-up the double click on a tab to open a new tab that should go to the User Defined location of www.google.com but instead it doesn't do anything. The double-click on the Tab toolbar works mind you, just double clicking on a tab doesn't do anything.

Edit: Also after having run Opera for about 30min I think I really like that Speed-dial page that opened on new tabs, almost more than having my new tab default to google.com, is there an Add-On like this for Firefox?

Also is there a way to turn off this fucked-up looking Firefox window that comes up when I download a file, can I make it use the default IE download window?

Burtletoy on
    edited July 2007
    Edit: Also after having run Opera for about 30min I think I really like that Speed-dial page that opened on new tabs, almost more than having my new tab default to google.com, is there an Add-On like this for Firefox?

Also is there a way to turn off this fucked-up looking Firefox window that comes up when I download a file, can I make it use the default IE download window?

There's a lot of crossover between browsers, so many of Opera's features have been copied (with varying success) for Firefox. If there's something you like in Opera, chances are if you google the feature name + Firefox, you'll come up with an extension or tweak for it. Speed Dial is rather unsurprisingly copied with an extension called Speed Dial. ;-)

As for the download window, Firefox is cross-platform, so it's got the same download box for all of them, and doesn't use the Windows one. You might try the previously mentioned Download Statusbar.

seasleepy on
  • DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah. You´ll have to search a lot to find anything to split up the downloads window, but you can change settings so that it doesn´t show, or so that it disappears when done in the options. Frankly, you get used to it fairly quickly, and it then works just as well if not better than having a different window for each download.

You can turn off the ¨select everything in the url bar when i click it¨ behavior though. Type about:config into the url bar. Find the entry labeled ¨browser.urlbar.clickSelectsAll¨ and change it to false. Voilá.

DigDug2000 on
  • Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I just downloaded Opera today, and so far I'm really enjoying it. I think I'm going to end up switching to it over Firefox or IE.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
    edited July 2007
    DigDug2000 wrote: »
    Yeah. You´ll have to search a lot to find anything to split up the downloads window, but you can change settings so that it doesn´t show, or so that it disappears when done in the options. Frankly, you get used to it fairly quickly, and it then works just as well if not better than having a different window for each download.

You can turn off the ¨select everything in the url bar when i click it¨ behavior though. Type about:config into the url bar. Find the entry labeled ¨browser.urlbar.clickSelectsAll¨ and change it to false. Voilá.

Yea, I like how it selects everything, what I don't like is having to unselect the text before I can select a small portion of the text that I do want highlighted.

I know its really confusing when I type that but if you try to select "all this text in these quotation marks" in a textbox, and then you decide you only want the word "quotation marks" to be highlighted, you first have to unselect (by clicking somewhere in the textbox) "all this...quotation marks" then you have to click and drag so you only have "quotation marks" selected.

I want to be able to click and drag at any part of the already selected text without Firefox/Opera thinking I want to copy/paste all the highlighted text.

Edit: Oh and I guess that Tab Mix Plus program DOES work, its just totally not what I wanted. I want to be able to double click anywhere, and instead of having it auto-select text like it does by default I wanna open a new tab. Tab Mix Plus only opens a new tab if you double click on the Tabbar or the part of the Tab that says the page title.

I think I'm gonna go with Opera if I can figure out how to make it scroll to top/bottom with mouse gestures, since it lets me define mouse gestures for my extra buttons and I can probably just use that to open a Speed dial tab.

Burtletoy on
    edited July 2007
    Thank you for that.

And RandomEngy, your Tab Mix Plus Add-On doesn't work. I set-up the double click on a tab to open a new tab that should go to the User Defined location of www.google.com but instead it doesn't do anything. The double-click on the Tab toolbar works mind you, just double clicking on a tab doesn't do anything.

You'll have to change the Double click -> On a tab from "Do nothing" to "Open a new tab" as well.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, I know.

When it says "double click on tab" it means the title of the tab, not anywhere in the tabbed webpage, which is what I want.

Burtletoy on
  • zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If you use Opera and want to configure your mouse gestures, just Alt+P and go to shortcuts.

Also, all Opera users should be familiar with [url]opera:config[/url] (link only works in opera)

For new Opera users I recommend turning off the built in bittorent by using [url]opera:config#BitTorrent|Enable[/url]. You'll probably also want to go to your transfers page (Ctrl+Alt+T), click on the "View" drop down menu and select "Show transfers in background when starting download". This will prevent the transfer menu from popping up every time you start a download.

You can also Right-Click on the GUI elements and select "Customize..." to easily change the layout of the browser. Personally I Right-Click and choose "Remove from Toolbar" on everything except an address bar and a google search bar, simply because I use mouse gestures for all my browsing.

zanetheinsane on
    edited July 2007
    You want double clicking on a page to open a new tab? That's insane. Aren't there some javascript things that require double clicking? Wouldn't that set it off?

RandomEngy on
    edited July 2007
    Yes there are some things that make you double click, but new tabs open behind the current one anyways so it doesn't get in the way, and I use it way more on purpose than on accident. Its just faster than moving the mouse to the top of the page and clicking on the new tab button, and it was a very easy gesture for me to remember unlike using say Up and Right or Up Down Up

Edit: The point wasn't necessarily that it made sense, just that I liked it and I want it in a browser that I'm going to be using a lot. If there was a way for me to designate that to the 4th mouse button I probably would, but I havn't found out how to change what that does in Firefox, just in Opera.

Burtletoy on