As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: Master Chief -- script delivery boy

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I think Nintendo is finally going to start making their Balance Board in black.

Meanwhile, from the land of hilarious Sony patent filings:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2012/04/psmovewheelthing.jpg

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/19/just-look-at-this-ps-move-steering-wheel-patent/

Looks like a starship.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/19/just-look-at-this-ps-move-steering-wheel-patent/

Crap, can't embed the image.

So let me get this straight: Sony incorporates motion control into their normal controller, decides that isn't enough and comes up with an ice-cream cone goofball design so they can have more motion control, then patents a design whereby they make a gigantic controller which re-adds most of the buttons from the original controller?

Sony: reinventing the wheel and managing to lose billions of dollars doing it.

• Options

psmovewheelthing.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

psmovewheelthing.jpg

NDXNq.jpg

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    THQ is DOOOOOOOOOOOO wait, what?
    Are you ready for this? It's ... good news about THQ's finances. The company is revising its earnings forecast for the quarter ending March 31, now reporting expectations of "non-GAAP net sales of $160 million to $170 million, which is above the company's previous outlook of non-GAAP net sales in the range of $130 million to $150 million." Non-GAAP earnings include "adjustments" or other non-recurring costs that aren't included in the standardized GAAP numbers companies are required to report.

Unfortunately, there's still some less-than-stellar news: The report will also have to account for "approximately $30 million to $50 million" in non-cash software development charges, "resulting from decisions made related to the company's previously-announced product strategy." A THQ representative tells Joystiq that these kinds of "charges" actually reflect a shift in expected performance of certain software – including the no-longer MMO Warhammer 40K Dark Millennium.

As for why the company is doing less poorly than expected, THQ cites three factors: Saints Row the Third, of which THQ has now shipped over four million units; "higher-than-expected digital sales" ... mostly of Saints Row DLC; and "slightly" better sales of UFC Undisputed 3 than predicted.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/18/thq-earnings-forecast-improves-due-to-saints-row-3-sales-dlc/

Then again "non-GAAP" is the financial term for "we're making this shit up" (more or less), so I guess we'll just have to wait for the actual quarterly release.

No, it isn't.

It means, "We're not following the US rules (usually) of reporting when we say this."

And, for many businesses, you need to go to non-GAAP reporting in order to get a more accurate idea of how a business is doing because GAAP reporting actually clouds some issues, like the way it requires people to report the timing of certain transactions (especially when dealing with companies that are splitting or merging).

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Turkey wrote: »

psmovewheelthing.jpg

NDXNq.jpg

<3

That thread shoulda been stickied for all eternity.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    That steering wheel thing looks like some sort of parasite.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    That steering wheel thing looks like some sort of parasite.

It will attach itself to its host and drain it of profits.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

psmovewheelthing.jpg

It looks like a pelvis replacement.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    That thing is hilarious. I was just initially going to write it off as some pathetic Wii wheel ripoff and be done with it. But like Ninja Snarl P just pointed out, stop and think and hey wait a minute doesn't the dualshock do exactly that already?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Are you ready for this? It's ... good news about THQ's finances. The company is revising its earnings forecast for the quarter ending March 31, now reporting expectations of "non-GAAP net sales of $160 million to $170 million, which is above the company's previous outlook of non-GAAP net sales in the range of $130 million to $150 million." Non-GAAP earnings include "adjustments" or other non-recurring costs that aren't included in the standardized GAAP numbers companies are required to report.

Unfortunately, there's still some less-than-stellar news: The report will also have to account for "approximately $30 million to $50 million" in non-cash software development charges, "resulting from decisions made related to the company's previously-announced product strategy." A THQ representative tells Joystiq that these kinds of "charges" actually reflect a shift in expected performance of certain software – including the no-longer MMO Warhammer 40K Dark Millennium.

As for why the company is doing less poorly than expected, THQ cites three factors: Saints Row the Third, of which THQ has now shipped over four million units; "higher-than-expected digital sales" ... mostly of Saints Row DLC; and "slightly" better sales of UFC Undisputed 3 than predicted.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/18/thq-earnings-forecast-improves-due-to-saints-row-3-sales-dlc/

Then again "non-GAAP" is the financial term for "we're making this shit up" (more or less), so I guess we'll just have to wait for the actual quarterly release.

No, it isn't.

It means, "We're not following the US rules (usually) of reporting when we say this."

And, for many businesses, you need to go to non-GAAP reporting in order to get a more accurate idea of how a business is doing because GAAP reporting actually clouds some issues, like the way it requires people to report the timing of certain transactions (especially when dealing with companies that are splitting or merging).

Considering GAAP stands for Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, and is legally required for use by all U.S. companies, I think I'm sticking with that. Especially considering that many companies post non-GAAP results in order to make themselves look like they're doing a lot better than they actually are.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    sir_pinch-a-loafsir_pinch-a-loaf #YODORegistered User regular
    it looks like the ship from Radiant Silvergun

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    And in other Sony news . . .

PlayStation 3 Receives $50 Price Cut At GameStop
    If the $250 price tag for Sony's Blu-ray player video game console has kept you from jumping on the PlayStation 3 bandwagon (don't forget, this thing used to cost $600 guys) perhaps a $50 price slash will be enough to sway you. That's right, GameStop is now offering the PS3 for a mere $200, a steal when considering the fact that the 4GB model of the Xbox 360 is currently going for the same price.

Could this be a sign that Sony is planning to officially announce a price drop at this year's E3? It certainly looks that way, as the conference is now less than two months out. What will prove even more interesting is how Microsoft decides to respond. With steady sales month after month, there hasn't been any reason for the Xbox to see a price slash. Perhaps a substantial spike in PS3 sales following this price cut will finally be enough to force Microsoft to react.

Sony's got a number of fantastic games on the horizon for PS3 owners, including The Last of Us, Sly 4, the recently announced God of War: Ascension, plus whatever surprises they have in store at this year's expo in LA. If for whatever reason you've held out this long on purchasing a PlayStation 3, there's really no better time to jump on board.

The series didn't end with The World Ends With You.

Tetsuya Nomura Hints At The World Ends With You Sequel
    Square Enix just loves to drop hints to things that are definitely in progress. Tetsuya Nomura, co-creator of The World Ends with You, did just that about TWEWY in an interview with Nintendo Dream (translated by Andriasang).

The interview was in regards to Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance, but Nomura's hint about TWEWY pretty much stole the show. He explained that Square Enix decided to add voice acting to Raimu for her appearance in KH3DS "out of consideration for the future of The World Ends With You series."

When asked about TWEWY's future, Nomura half-heartedly sidestepped the question with: "Regarding The World Ends with You, I can't say anything at present, but there probably is something."

Translation: there is something.

Square Enix likes making sequels of games whether they need them or not, and it seems like TWEWY is next up. I loved TWEWY, but I have no idea how a sequel for the game would even work. If the story is as discombobulated as Final Fantasy XIII-2's story in order to make something plausible, count me out.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular

No, it isn't.

Considering GAAP stands for Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, and is legally required for use by all U.S. companies, I think I'm sticking with that. Especially considering that many companies post non-GAAP results in order to make themselves look like they're doing a lot better than they actually are.

Generally, when I write up financial earnings reports, I default to using GAAP.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    So Nintendo is doing another Nintendo direct tonight at 8:30. Most are predicting it'll be them announcing Pandora's Tower for the US. That is pretty much all I'm figuring it is. So if that happens, what are the chances they had these releases planned all along, or who thinks Operation Rainfall had anything to actually do with it?
    I may have to watch - 8:30 what time zone?

It's going to consist of Iwata bowing repeatedly, giggling and saying "4/20 for life, yo"

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    So Nintendo is doing another Nintendo direct tonight at 8:30. Most are predicting it'll be them announcing Pandora's Tower for the US. That is pretty much all I'm figuring it is. So if that happens, what are the chances they had these releases planned all along, or who thinks Operation Rainfall had anything to actually do with it?

Since Nintendo of America is located in Washington, I'm guessing Pacific.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Big long article analyzing Sony's situation is up on the NYTimes. Long story short, the blame is placed on Sony failing to keep up with technology and the move to digital, as well as infighting between the divisions. The author did say the PS3 was a success for Sony, though it was marred by the Blu-ray gambit.

Here's a small bit:
    But Sony’s recent leaders have had trouble wielding authority over the sprawling company. Sony remains dominated by proud, territorial engineers who often shun cooperation. For many of them, cost-cutting is the enemy of creativity — a legacy of Sony’s co-founders, Mr. Morita and Masaru Ibuka, who tried to foster a culture of independence. But the founders had more success than recent executives in exerting control over division managers.

Executives complain privately of recalcitrant managers who refuse to share information or work with other divisions. One executive said he was startled to discover that a manager whose position had been eliminated had been rehired under a different title. (“Or maybe he never really left,” said this executive, who spoke on condition of anonymity out of fear of angering his bosses.)

In 2005, such challenges prompted Sony to select Howard Stringer, a British-born American businessman, as C.E.O., rather than Ken Kutaragi, the brains behind PlayStation. Mr. Stringer had a record as an agent of change: as head of Sony in the United States, he oversaw music, movies and electronics there and eliminated 9,000 of 30,000 jobs.

At his first news conference as C.E.O., Mr. Stringer declared that he would “accelerate cross-company collaboration, thereby revitalizing the company and promoting creativity.”

But not even Mr. Stringer, who has stepped aside for Mr. Hirai but will remain as chairman, could break down all the silos at Sony.

The company still makes a confusing catalog of gadgets that overlap or even cannibalize one another. It has also continued to let its product lines mushroom: 10 different consumer-level camcorders and almost 30 different TVs, for instance, crowd and confuse consumers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/15/technology/how-sony-fell-behind-in-the-tech-parade.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1

Under the circumstances of repeated intervention on Sony's part, and many years in the making post launch, yes, the Playstation 3 can be considered a success. But it was far from being as such at launch, and anyone who argues this is nuts or on a payroll with Sony and required to be positive about the product (that's not me saying the writer of the article is being paid off, I'm saying loyalists / employees of Sony are the only ones who would dare attempt spin).

Now, as for these revelations about the company being a mess internally, holy balls. They better whip people into shape and start firing managers who are fucking around. This is a billion dollar industry, you cannot have that kind of crap in your machine.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

psmovewheelthing.jpg

NDXNq.jpg

First legit use of the Sony Laughing Man since that thread. Good fucking times and well played sir.

That steering wheel patent just reminds me of the N64 controller. While the N64 controller didn't bother me, a lot of people apparently fucking HATE it. And that Sony schematic looks worse because the wand has a goddamn ring around it, making it awkward to hold.

• Options

No, it isn't.

Considering GAAP stands for Generally Accepted Accounting Principles OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, WHICH ARE DIFFERENT FROM THOSE OF EUROPE, WHICH ARE THEREFORE, BY DEFINITION, NON-GAAP, and is legally required for use by all U.S. companies, I think I'm sticking with that. Especially considering that many companies post non-GAAP results in order to make themselves look like they're doing a lot better than they actually are.

Fixed that for you.

Also, I do a lot of this kind of analysis for a living (although, admittedly, not as much as I used to). So, yeah - I'm going to trust my opinion over yours.

Also, US companies don't report "non-GAAP" exclusively to make themselves "look better" - though that is part of it, of course. It's also because, like I said, "GAAP reporting actually clouds some issues, like the way it requires people to report the timing of certain transactions." As an expansion, GAAP reporting also includes a bunch of rules on one-off charges (like restructuring), rules on the amortization of intangible assets, etc., that when you are performing your analysis you may not care about, mandating that you switch to a non-GAAP basis of comparison.

Basically, if you're doing any sort of comparison of international or multinational companies, you're going to be dealing with non-GAAP reporting, which does not mean that the company is lying or is being dishonest.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »

psmovewheelthing.jpg

NDXNq.jpg

First legit use of the Sony Laughing Man since that thread. Good fucking times and well played sir.

That steering wheel patent just reminds me of the N64 controller. While the N64 controller didn't bother me, a lot of people apparently fucking HATE it. And that Sony schematic looks worse because the wand has a goddamn ring around it, making it awkward to hold.

You're holding it wrong.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Rehab wrote: »

Square Enix just loves to drop hints to things that are definitely in progress. Tetsuya Nomura, co-creator of The World Ends with You, did just that about TWEWY in an interview with Nintendo Dream (translated by Andriasang).

The interview was in regards to Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance, but Nomura's hint about TWEWY pretty much stole the show. He explained that Square Enix decided to add voice acting to Raimu for her appearance in KH3DS "out of consideration for the future of The World Ends With You series."

When asked about TWEWY's future, Nomura half-heartedly sidestepped the question with: "Regarding The World Ends with You, I can't say anything at present, but there probably is something."

Square Enix likes making sequels of games whether they need them or not, and it seems like TWEWY is next up. I loved TWEWY, but I have no idea how a sequel for the game would even work. If the story is as discombobulated as Final Fantasy XIII-2's story in order to make something plausible, count me out.

YEeeesssssss! the world ends with you is one of very few games I've had both the time and been sucked in enough to finish in the last few years. it had well implemented touch controls, a compelling and twist filled scenario and offered a lot of replay value in characters that play very differently from each other. I would love for there to be a sequel.

but wait, did that person reporting the news just disparage the best final fantasy story since 9 (if you don't like 9 then 6. if you don't like 6 we can part ways here before things get violent) at the same time? Is there a way to accept the news but also shoot the messenger in this situation?

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Henroid wrote: »

You're holding it wrong.

You don't think someone is going to make a game that requires the button use on the middle?

Actually wait, now that I think about it... I guess the only purpose of the wand is the Move functionality. Which is still bizarro but... okay, I retract my statement.

• Options
    edited April 2012

No, it isn't.

Considering GAAP stands for Generally Accepted Accounting Principles OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, WHICH ARE DIFFERENT FROM THOSE OF EUROPE, WHICH ARE THEREFORE, BY DEFINITION, NON-GAAP, and is legally required for use by all U.S. companies, I think I'm sticking with that. Especially considering that many companies post non-GAAP results in order to make themselves look like they're doing a lot better than they actually are.

Fixed that for you.

Also, I do a lot of this kind of analysis for a living (although, admittedly, not as much as I used to). So, yeah - I'm going to trust my opinion over yours.

Also, US companies don't report "non-GAAP" exclusively to make themselves "look better" - though that is part of it, of course. It's also because, like I said, "GAAP reporting actually clouds some issues, like the way it requires people to report the timing of certain transactions." As an expansion, GAAP reporting also includes a bunch of rules on one-off charges (like restructuring), rules on the amortization of intangible assets, etc., that when you are performing your analysis you may not care about, mandating that you switch to a non-GAAP basis of comparison.

Basically, if you're doing any sort of comparison of international or multinational companies, you're going to be dealing with non-GAAP reporting, which does not mean that the company is lying or is being dishonest.

Sure, it doesn't necessarily mean that the company's lying or being dishonest. Yet there's been quite a few times that a company has reported totally awesome non-GAAP results, yet their GAAP results result in a loss. So if both sides have the potential for being clouded, I'm going for the one that's legally required. And the one that's named "generally accepted accounting principles."

Besides, why shouldn't we incorporate one-off charges? I want to know what kind of a financial hit companies take when they, say, buy huge companies. I want to know what their finances are at the moment, rather than what their theoretical finances would be if these things didn't exist. Though I do try to be fair and incorporate why a company lost money if it was caused by one-offs.

By the way, I do some of this analysis for my real-world job, too. :P

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Dritz wrote: »
    Isn't the 3DS still relatively safe from hackers? I thought I read something about old DS type badness still working but nothing that compromises the 3DSness of the 3DS. Seems like Sony can't catch a break.

Near as I can tell. I've heard it's partially because the thing is locked down pretty well. But I think a lot of it stems from the fact that the PSP was a longtime bonanza of piracy, tweaks and homebrew, and the fact that the hacking community is still pissed off at Sony for the constant patching and removing Linux from the PS3.

3DS is open the same way the vita is open, as in there are DS hacks that work on the 3DS, but thats all its useful for. running stuff the DS can run.

Vita 'hacls' are being a bit dishonest, since its just hacking of the PSP emulator, and nothing to do with the actual vita. Wololo has even gone on record as saying the vita itself is a damn impressive fortress of doom on Sony's part. So apparently all that PS3/PSP drama taught them something.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Did someone bring up Monkey Ball Vita without posting this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poqps1bzA7E&amp;feature=player_embedded

I just watched this. And Xeno, shame on you for not making it clear that Sega added tits to Monkey Ball.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »
    And in other Sony news . . .

Sounds twewy nice.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012

No, it isn't.

Fixed that for you.

Sure, it doesn't necessarily mean that the company's lying or being dishonest. Yet there's been quite a few times that a company has reported totally awesome non-GAAP results, yet their GAAP results result in a loss. So if both sides have the potential for being clouded, I'm going for the one that's legally required. And the one that's named "generally accepted accounting principles."

Besides, why shouldn't we incorporate one-off charges? I want to know what kind of a financial hit companies take when they, say, buy huge companies. I want to know what their finances are at the moment, rather than what their theoretical finances would be if these things didn't exist. Though I do try to be fair and incorporate why a company lost money if it was caused by one-offs.

By the way, I do some of this analysis for my real-world job, too. :P

Oh, good! We can have GAAP-slap fights. :D

I just took issue with how you started off by saying, "'non-GAAP' is the financial term for 'we're making this shit up' (more or less)," because it doesn't really mean that - and you've now revised your point with "Sure, it doesn't necessarily mean that the company's lying or being dishonest." It means, "A certain set of guidelines says that this is reality, but we believe that this other thing is more reflective of the truth of our business."

And as for "Yet there's been quite a few times that a company has reported totally awesome non-GAAP results, yet their GAAP results result in a loss." Absolutely - the question you need to look into, then, is what in GAAP is causing that loss (or to turn it around, why does the company believe that non-GAAP profit is a better representation of reality), and when you are comparing that company against their competitors (who are both US-reporters using GAAP and foreign reporters who are maybe using GAAP), you need to make sure that when you say something like, "So-and-so is less profitable on a percentage basis than someone-else," you've got a real apples-to-apples comparison.

When looking long-term, one-off charges are dangerous because they distort the everyday results of running the business (and it's almost a rule that you'll have a whole suite of different one-off charges every year). So, the GAAP results say the company lost money this year, but when you dig into the details, it turns out that it was because they incurred divestiture charges to get rid of a loss-making subsidiary. So you do a non-GAAP analysis of the company's financials to see how healthy the remaining business is; sure, the company as a whole still lost money this year by GAAP standard, but going foward it will be stronger, so that's what you base your forecast on.

Or, you know, GAAP changed (as it does, occasionally), and the rules for amortizing good will and other intangible assets have been revised. So, in order to do a meaningful comparison, you need to adjust your current GAAP numbers to match previous years' no-longer-GAAP numbers.

EDIT: Anyway, we can probably drop this now, since I assume we're probably less amusing than Angry Birds talk.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Dritz wrote: »
    Isn't the 3DS still relatively safe from hackers? I thought I read something about old DS type badness still working but nothing that compromises the 3DSness of the 3DS. Seems like Sony can't catch a break.

Near as I can tell. I've heard it's partially because the thing is locked down pretty well. But I think a lot of it stems from the fact that the PSP was a longtime bonanza of piracy, tweaks and homebrew, and the fact that the hacking community is still pissed off at Sony for the constant patching and removing Linux from the PS3.

3DS is open the same way the vita is open, as in there are DS hacks that work on the 3DS, but thats all its useful for. running stuff the DS can run.

Vita 'hacls' are being a bit dishonest, since its just hacking of the PSP emulator, and nothing to do with the actual vita. Wololo has even gone on record as saying the vita itself is a damn impressive fortress of doom on Sony's part. So apparently all that PS3/PSP drama taught them something.

So games journalism fails again?

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

It's going to consist of Iwata bowing repeatedly, giggling and saying "4/20 for life, yo"

The actual Nintendo Direct will be Japan and NOE, but NOA will be announcing stuff effecting the US through twitter and Facebook at 8:30, and yea, I think it's pacific.

Edit: Per Clipper of Gaf.
    nintendodirect.png

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Well, lookie here! A couple of guys from around these parts got featured on an episode of PATV!

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/game-3

An episode that has the classiest beginning ever, by the way.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I've said it a billion times before, but virtually all of Brink's problems were related to its horribly lopsided map design.

Had they released a map editor into the wild early on, the game would almost certainly have done much better.

• Options
    Gamasutra's got an article up pondering the question of whether video gaming is an entirely hits-driven industry. I'm not sure if I think the data cited is strong enough to truly support that conclusion, though there's a chart out that's definitely interesting:

yoy-growth-table.png

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/168547/Has_video_game_retail_become_an_entirely_hits_driven_industry.php

Hm. Recession? End of a generation?

• Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    Gamasutra's got an article up pondering the question of whether video gaming is an entirely hits-driven industry. I'm not sure if I think the data cited is strong enough to truly support that conclusion, though there's a chart out that's definitely interesting:

yoy-growth-table.png

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/168547/Has_video_game_retail_become_an_entirely_hits_driven_industry.php

Hm. Recession? End of a generation?

A little of both and other factors. The Wii helped bring in so much money that there was only one way to go, down.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

According to Michael Olson and Andrew Connor, analysts for Piper Jaffray & Co., the top 10 games in March 2011 contributed 38% of the software revenue for that month and 30% of the software units.

In March 2012, just last month, these figures shifted compared to a year earlier. The top 10 games accounted for just over 39% of the software revenue, a small increase in share. However, the share of units in the top 10 decreased almost two full percentage points, to 28%.
    When I asked Michael Pachter about Call of Duty, he told me that he agreed that "Black Ops was the high point for packaged goods" and that he's not sure that there's much that Activision Blizzard can do to change that fact. Surely the Call of Duty Elite service is helping to offset some of the losses at retail, but it isn't clear to me yet whether they're even close to a revenue growth situation yet.
    Wonder what the top 20 percentage is.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/20/starbreeze-ceo-doesnt-think-syndicate-couldve-ever-lived-up-t/
    CEO and President of Starbreeze Studios Mikael Nermark appears to have mixed feelings about Syndicate, the FPS reboot his team launched earlier this year. Syndicate snagged the No. 2 spot during its launch week with sales of 34,000, just 2,000 shy of Asura's Wrath. Even after such a squeeze, Nermark tells Joystiq he isn't disappointed in Syndicate, numerically or otherwise:

"Sales? What can I say?" Nermark says, inadvertently answering his own rhetorical question. "So many things depend on whether sales are good or not good. And it can always be better, right? You always want it to be better."

You know your game sold poorly when...

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/168955/Trials_Evolution_breaks_XBLA_record_with_highest_sales_100K_downloads.php
    RedLynx's Trials Evolution has set a new record for highest grossing day-one sales on Xbox Live Arcade, and has sold more than 100,000 copies in its first day after releasing.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Slash and Rainbow were pretty cool dudes to talk to.

I think I talked at length to Slash about art stuff. Certainly moving on up from his prior internet celebrity-dom as "That guy with the Duke Nukem receipt."

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Itagaki may cry ~ 90k (total).
    To date, Sonic Generations across all retail platforms isn't that much more than Sonic Colors DS. That's not including Japan.
    ...You know, considering the stereotypes about being teh kiddie and Sega openly admitting that Sonic is aimed mostly at kids at this point, you would think Generations on the Wii would be a no brainer.

Couscous on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Some more moaning about used game sales.

Twenty fucking bucks says publishers don't lower prices even if the new consoles gut the used game market. What a load of shit.

• Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »

Twenty fucking bucks says publishers don't lower prices even if the new consoles gut the used game market. What a load of shit.

And yet Bethesda's single player only RPGs sell millions of copies. As did all the single player Bioware games. ME3 would have sold millions without the multiplayer features.

• Options
    ShutdownShutdown Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »

And yet Bethesda's single player only RPGs sell millions of copies. As did all the single player Bioware games. ME3 would have sold millions without the multiplayer features.

Definitely, probably those nasty pirates just waiting in the wings to increase their copyright-infringement-activities the day that happens.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Itagaki may cry ~ 90k (total).
    To date, Sonic Generations across all retail platforms isn't that much more than Sonic Colors DS. That's not including Japan.
    ...You know, considering the stereotypes about being teh kiddie and Sega openly admitting that Sonic is aimed mostly at kids at this point, you would think Generations on the Wii would be a no brainer.

I wonder how well the 3DS version did?

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.