As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

R-E-C-Y-C-L-E RECYCLE

124»

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    We were a generation of Captain Planet, and memetically that, and other shows and media, did a lot to help.

It did a lot to make me think that organizations trying to protect the environment publicly are either nuts, have no respect to their target audience, or have some weird anti-industry message.

As opposed to more silent but respectable messages, like Dirty Jobs having occasional recycling jobs that got me really interested in making sure waste materials went to the right place.

VRXwDW7.png
  • LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Knob wrote: »
    If people buy less, then we produce less

And the earth gets to be happy and healthy

While humanity as a whole gets to be hungry and poor

Woo! Reuse and recycle!

Haha yeah, reducing over-consumption would definitely mean humanity as whole would be hungry and poor. yep. not a doubt

edit: that seems to be a trend. Cameron's Avatar had the worst environmentalist message

all tied up in some bizarre technophobia and noble savage shit

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »
    Oh man, Rocko's Modern Life was so good.

Easily my favorite Nicktoon from those days.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    A while back I dug through youtube and recycling plant websites for video of different types of material are recycled. The processes are pretty neat and they try to use every last scrap.

I was also surprised by how much metal doesn't come from fresh ore but from re-smelted parts and scrap.

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    wuh wuh wuh pollution bluh bluh

• UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    if global warming is real

then why is it so cold

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• EndEnd Registered User regular
    climate models again fail to predict the weather patterns of my walk-in freezer!

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    oh hey the whole episode is actually on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyTbwhNRXaY

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    In the immortal words of George Carlin "The planet is doing fine...we're fucked".

Humanity as we know it has had what, a few thousand years on the planet, and only like 200 of them we've been practicing heavy industry. If you think some plastic bottles and cardboard means anything to the planet, you're nuts. Plastic will bio-degrade, it just takes far longer than a human lifespan. In terms of the age of the planet itself, it could care less about plastic or the average human lifespan. At worst, plastic is a minor skin irritation that can be scratched whenever it becomes problematic enough.

The planet was fine before humanity, and it will be OK when it finally decides to kill us to make room for a new batch of experimental organisms.

I look forward to the day when a planet can overcome battery acid oceans and nuclear waste.

Man, in the words of the immortal Ian Malcom,

Life will find a way.

Life in some form will continue. Sure it might not be all that recognizable as what we have now. But the planet itself and life in general is going to be doing okay unless we just blow it the fuck up.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Ubik wrote: »
    if global warming is real

then why is it so cold

it's weird

no one bothered to throw any "well if global warming is such a big deal, why are we getting this huge blizzard, huh?" questions my way this year

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    global warming is a really dumb misnomer anyway

global climate change/shift is way more accurate

or I guess global our grandkids are fucked

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    if global warming is real then why is the global temperature on average rising at an above historically normal rate

answer me that tough guy

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    who cares about grandkids

those whippersnappers

no respect, kids those days

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

if global warming is real then why is the global temperature on average rising at an above historically normal rate

answer me that tough guy

if you wanna get technical, that's because our records only go back a century or so

and technically shifts in temperature occur normally and are cyclical

it's just, we're kinda way ahead of schedule on this one

• LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    It's pretty chilly here today. We fixed global warming just by talking about the prospect of recycling.

Good job, everyone.

iwantanswers3.png
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

"climate forcing" would be even more accurate

MrMonroe wrote: »

"climate forcing" would be even more accurate

yeah pretty much

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular

answer me that tough guy

if you wanna get technical, that's because our records only go back a century or so

and technically shifts in temperature occur normally and are cyclical

it's just, we're kinda way ahead of schedule on this one

historical including ice core samples. above normal rate being at a faster rate than those normal cyclical trends

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Penn & Teller's Bullshit often engages in plenty of bullshit.

"These experts are lying to you about this thing we think is bullshit, and here's an expert that agrees with us to prove our point!"
    smug.gif

Now watch as we interview the dumbest possible person we could find who doesn't agree with us, thus proving opposing positions are dumb, like that person.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig

Nah, it isn't a misnomer. That's a common myth

A quick google search would tell you
    Warming of the climate system is unequivocal, and scientists are more than 90% certain that most of it is caused by increasing concentrations of greenhouse gases produced by human activities such as deforestation and the burning of fossil fuels. These findings are recognized by the national science academies of all major industrialized nations.

That's from the Wikipedia page for global warming, but NASA backs it up as do many other organizations

f24GSaF.jpg
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Man, how did I not notice what an obtuse goose Lockout is before this?

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Lockout wrote: »

Warming of the climate system is unequivocal, and scientists are more than 90% certain that most of it is caused by increasing concentrations of greenhouse gases produced by human activities such as deforestation and the burning of fossil fuels. These findings are recognized by the national science academies of all major industrialized nations.

That's from the Wikipedia page for global warming, but NASA backs it up as do many other organizations

global warming means harsh winters and an eventual ice age right?

ice age's are warm aren't they

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    2r192.png

uc3ufTB.png
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    ambarb is so good

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    haaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaha

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    The perfect response for the "if global warming is real, why is it snowing" question is that one comic where a political comic artist looks at his work and goes, "I seem to be drawing this one later every year."

b1ehrMM.gif
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Also, I can't help but say this:

It's "I couldn't care less".

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
    http://grist.org/list/budding-environmentalist-raises-over-200-after-friends-parents-call-her-stupid-for-caring/
    Last night, Redditor nervousbreakdown19 wrote that her conscientious daughter Winter had asked for Nature Conservancy donations in lieu of gifts for her eighth birthday, and been mocked to her face by her friends’ jerkhole parents. Instead of crumbling under not-even-peer-pressure, though, Winter decided to set up a fundraising page with the kid-friendly site Earth Rangers, collecting donations for the endangered pine marten. (Earth Rangers gives half the raised money to the Nature Conservancy, and uses half for teaching about conservation in schools.) She’s already made it more than halfway to her $500 goal.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Also, I can't help but say this:

It's "I couldn't care less".
    But you know what they mean either way, and could care less is almost always an accurate statement

2x39jD4.jpg
    edited April 2012
    Man, how did I not notice what an obtuse goose Lockout is before this?

I'll confess I'm surprised you've noticed me at all. not really a noteworthy poster
    Lockout wrote: »

global warming means harsh winters and an eventual ice age right?

ice age's are warm aren't they

what sort of time scale are we talking about here? cause the next glacial period isn't due for 15 to 50 thousand years, depending on which way CO2 levels in the atmosphere go. The Day After Tomorrow wasn't based on real science

higher global average temperatures are all anyone reputable is predicting for the rest of the twenty first century. we're already up 1.4 F since the early 1900s, and it'll likely rise anywhere from another 2 to 11 degrees by the year 2100, depending on various factors. there's even a theory that global dimming could be having a cooling effect currently and partly hiding the effect of greenhouse gases on global warming

so yeah, global warming caused by humans activities increasing the levels of greenhouse gases is driving climate change. not a really dumb misnomer

sorry if I'm nitpicking. there's a lot of misinformation floating around on climate change, and I feel like it's an important enough issue that correcting it when I can won't hurt

anyway, on a related note, here's an interesting interview with the former president of the Maldives on the Daily Show. the Maldives are a series of low lying islands in the Indian ocean that are disappearing because of rising sea levels. most of the 200ish inhabited islands will have to be abandoned this century. Mohamed Nasheed, the guy in the interview, is trying to raise money to buy land in India, Sri Lanka, and Australia for the people to relocate to. not trying to plug a charity or anything, sometimes it's just cool to see people doing good things

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    That's good, 'cause we don't take kindly to charities around here.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Which charities accept boot straps?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    I thought they went ahead and purchased the land already

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    yeah, probably. I didn't notice before, but he announced those plans in 2008. so plenty of time to get it done

f24GSaF.jpg
    I read an article about it recently. It was interesting