As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Android] thread - Phones and tablets in all shapes, sizes and desert flavors

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    What do you guys find is the best music app for Android? I am currently using WinAmp and am seriously underwhelmed.

I am even willing to pay if it is substantially better than the free offerings. Decent podcasting would be a huge bonus.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    I've been using the downloadable Google Music app that supports their cloud service. Not sure what to recommend since I don't know what you need, but for a basic music app that should work fine.

steam_sig.png
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Bullio wrote: »
    I've been using the downloadable Google Music app that supports their cloud service. Not sure what to recommend since I don't know what you need, but for a basic music app that should work fine.

Something that's well integrated with a pc application would be nice, but not necessary. Basically I'm looking for something that doesn't make a pig's ear out of my music collection once I've put it on my phone. F'rinstance, right now I've got a couple of tracks that are not listed in their proper albums even though there shouldn't be any issues with the tags. This kind of stuff drives me up the wall.

EDIT: Google Play Music looks interesting, but I can't seem to find it in the Play marketplace. Perhaps it is because I'm in Canada...

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    I know the answer to this is almost certainly "no," but I figure I'd ask: anyone know if the EVO 4G LTE is going to be available on the Sprint SERO plan?

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »

Something that's well integrated with a pc application would be nice, but not necessary. Basically I'm looking for something that doesn't make a pig's ear out of my music collection once I've put it on my phone. F'rinstance, right now I've got a couple of tracks that are not listed in their proper albums even though there shouldn't be any issues with the tags. This kind of stuff drives me up the wall.

EDIT: Google Play Music looks interesting, but I can't seem to find it in the Play marketplace. Perhaps it is because I'm in Canada...

doubletwist, maybe?

steam_sig.png
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Also located in Canada so I can say that you wont find Google Music yet since it's not available in Canada. Maybe one day the labels will smile down upon us and give Google the legal rights necessary for us to have access to the service.

In any case, I use PlayerPro, but both Poweramp and UberMusic (it uses a Windows 7-esque theme) are good. Rdio's mobile app isn't so good but if you use their service it's alright.

In terms of free apps Winamp and Doubletwist are good. Or you could try constantly (re)installing the trial versions of paid music player apps.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    I know the answer to this is almost certainly "no," but I figure I'd ask: anyone know if the EVO 4G LTE is going to be available on the Sprint SERO plan?

If you buy the phone from them, they'll more than likely require you to change to a different plan. If you have the phone and just want to do a device switch, they MAY allow you to keep it. But you'll probably need to call customer service and get something in writing on your account.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    finnith wrote: »
    Also located in Canada so I can say that you wont find Google Music yet since it's not available in Canada. Maybe one day the labels will smile down upon us and give Google the legal rights necessary for us to have access to the service.

In any case, I use PlayerPro, but both Poweramp and UberMusic (it uses a Windows 7-esque theme) are good. Rdio's mobile app isn't so good but if you use their service it's alright.

In terms of free apps Winamp and Doubletwist are good. Or you could try constantly (re)installing the trial versions of paid music player apps.

LOVE PlayerPro. I'll give it a week to see if the initial impressions maintain, then it will likely be a purchase for me.

Thanks for the tip!

• datac0redatac0re Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Edit: My apologies, did not realize I shouldn't post my stuff here.

datac0re on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Alright, so I've been waiting for a few months for the Galaxy Nexus to come out on Sprint. I was super excited about it, even!

But now I'm looking around and it's looking like the Sprint version of the HTC One X (which has the obnoxiously generic name HTC Evo 4G LTE) is coming out sometime in May. Is it going to be worth waiting for that one? The Nexus is technically an older phone, although I think they're updating some of the specs it for the Sprint release.

vRyue2p.png
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    If you buy the phone from them, they'll more than likely require you to change to a different plan. If you have the phone and just want to do a device switch, they MAY allow you to keep it. But you'll probably need to call customer service and get something in writing on your account.
    There are a bunch of phones that I can actually get and keep my current plan. Given that the Galaxy Nexus isn't one of them (or I'd jump on that shit), what about the Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch? That is another one, and it looks like a pretty sweet phone.

It will jump my monthly bill from $38 to $50, but I think that's probably worth it.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    the s2 is a solid phone, but, first week of may samsung has a conference where they will likely annouce the S3. also the new HTC one series is coming out and is worth lookimg into

camo_sig.png
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch

Is Capcom making phones now?

mts wrote: »
    the s2 is a solid phone, but, first week of may samsung has a conference where they will likely annouce the S3. also the new HTC one series is coming out and is worth lookimg into
    Yeah, maybe I'll just wait until June. A few big phones coming out in May, they may offer up something else good.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Got a few questions.

Is the galaxy nexus the samsung galaxy II, just a capcom'ed super/hyper version of it?

I understand they are about to annouce the Galaxy III in london on 05/04 and the leaked information makes it sound very much like what im looking for, so im curious what the typical duration in between the annoucement and availability is for samsung.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    I'm on the upgrade wagon as well. My wife and I currently have Droid X's. I'm not normally tapped into the market buzz so I really don't pay attention until upgrade time comes around, only to be overwhelmed and irritated by the options.

What's this vague talk of fancy new phones becoming available in May? Is there a good, single website out there that people are using for Android news?

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    galaxy nexus is the latest google phone which is stock android.

s2 is samsung's current flagship phone which has touchwiz.

camo_sig.png
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Arent we due info regarding Verizons new crop of phones? Ive been holding off upgrading to the HTC Rezound in hopes of something better coming along, but....

• fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    HTC Incredible 4G has been seen and should be coming out in the near future for Verizon.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    BTW, new Spotify app. It's in beta, you have to get it from their page, and it's VERY rough around the edges right now....but if you're on ICS its probably still an improvement.

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Unlocked and rooted my Nexus with a surprisingly useful and easy to use tool that came with instructions for every step and all the drivers bundled.

It was a real breath of fresh air after the forum / wiki posts I had to dig through to do the same to my Desire two years ago. Seems like the really obnoxious attitude of "if you can't follow my instructions you must be stupid so why bother" is coming to an end slowly.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    So what's the best extended battery to pick up for the Sprint Galaxy Nexus? I know Samsung has an official one but it seems like a tiny bump over the default battery. On the other hand there's the seidido extended battery that is about 2x the default battery but it looks like it turns the phone into a hunchback. Is there anything else I'm overlooking?

Basically I'd like to get my phone to last through the day (12-16 hours) without turning it into a power brick. Is that even possible?

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Dumb question, but are you already using any kind of power manager? I manage to get full days out of a charge just by using juicedefender...it just manages the data connection (turning it off when the phone is locked. The impact on usage is minimal, and I've found it bumped my life by like 1.5x, sometimes more.

Requires root, though.

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Speaking of battery life, the Galaxy Note seems to be some kind of wizard. When the screen's on, of course that sucks up the juice, but when it's locked? It can sit there with wifi on for hours, and barely lose anything. I don't leave mobile internet on, which is obviously going to be a huge drain, but where I had to struggle to stretch my Hero's battery life over two days, I'm pretty sure I could get the Note across three if I spent less time playing games on it.

forumsig.png
    camo_sig.png
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    mts wrote: »

If you're on T-Mo, this is a pretty good deal since you can switch to one of their no-contract plans and save on the monthly rate.

well i am, and do have that. wondering if the HTC will be $200 better

camo_sig.png
  • TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Dumb question, but are you already using any kind of power manager? I manage to get full days out of a charge just by using juicedefender...it just manages the data connection (turning it off when the phone is locked. The impact on usage is minimal, and I've found it bumped my life by like 1.5x, sometimes more.

Requires root, though.
    I currently am not. I'm not completely adverse to rooting but would it violate any kind of warranties I may have with sprint?

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »

Requires root, though.
    I currently am not. I'm not completely adverse to rooting but would it violate any kind of warranties I may have with sprint?

Depends on the warranty wording, but you can unroot and restore your phone before you'd need to send in for repairs if necessary.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Right now I'm leaning towards the Verizon Galaxy Nexus. The one complaint I've seen in a few reviews is crappy photo quality. Any first-hand impressions here? Curious how it compares to the quality of the Droid X, which we're generally okay with.

Well, I rooted my Galaxy SII X but cannot for the life of me find an ICS ROM. So I suppose I'll just have to wait until it's officially released by Telus and then see if rooting might be a major improvement.

I hate waiting.

• TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    What is the big differences on the Galaxy Nexus HSPA+ and LTE versions? My cousin has the LTE version and while we were at PAX he had horrible battery life and complained about the phone quite a bit. Another friend of ours ordered the HSPA+ version from a UK store and is now mad that it is being offered here :p.

the LTE is CDMA, whereas the HSPA is GSM

camo_sig.png
    The Galaxy Nexus (on Verizon at least) has issues staying connected to the network which will wear the battery down (the phone will lose connection and then spend time trying to find a network to reconnect to). I dont know if this only applies to early runs of the phone or all of the Galaxy Nexuses on Verizon however.

edited April 2012
    emp123 wrote: »
    The Galaxy Nexus (on Verizon at least) has issues staying connected to the network which will wear the battery down (the phone will lose connection and then spend time trying to find a network to reconnect to). I dont know if this only applies to early runs of the phone or all of the Galaxy Nexuses on Verizon however.

Wow, that's a pretty nasty issue. Is this really universal? Seems like it shouldn't be a problem in good Verizon coverage areas.

Drake Chambers on
    went down to Tmobile and fondle the new One S. seems pretty nice. had a nice solid feel to it. wasn't too big either pretty snappy and the screen was nice, though it wasn't the best i have seen.

camo_sig.png

Wow, that's a pretty nasty issue. Is this really universal? Seems like it shouldn't be a problem in good Verizon coverage areas.

Like I said, I dont know how many phones are affected, and if you can replicate the issue at a Verizon store they'll replace your phone for free, but Ive had my phone (HTC Incredible) right next to my friend's Galaxy Nexus and I'll have full bars and he will have a phone thats searching for a connection. Even the spot doesnt matter since he can leave it in the same place and itll go from full bars to no bars back to full bars (it takes a while for it to do a full cycle though). Its very strange.

• CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

Like I said, I dont know how many phones are affected, and if you can replicate the issue at a Verizon store they'll replace your phone for free, but Ive had my phone (HTC Incredible) right next to my friend's Galaxy Nexus and I'll have full bars and he will have a phone thats searching for a connection. Even the spot doesnt matter since he can leave it in the same place and itll go from full bars to no bars back to full bars (it takes a while for it to do a full cycle though). Its very strange.

I upgraded to a Galaxy Nexus at the beginning of March, and it had that exact issue. I charged it, turned it on, set it up, then couldn't connect to the 4G tower AT ALL. Like, it would say 4G and show bars, but every time I tried to use the connection for anything, it would drop to zero bars and say searching for network. I thought maybe it was a fluke, turned off the screen and set the phone down. 2½ hours later, the battery was depleted and I had to recharge it again.

Not a good first impression. After playing with it a few more days, I was able to get the 4G working occasionally, but I couldn't get it to last more than maybe 4-5 hours on standby. I'm not paying $200 + $80 a month for my phone to occasionally work, or have to charge it every 4 hours. Sent it back, and now I'm waiting impatiently for Verizon to release the Incredible 4G.

What makes it doubly painful is my OG DInc died like 2 weeks after I returned the GNex. Turns out I did a few too many battery pulls, the internal memory completely fried, so now I can't even load a ROM onto it :cry: :evil: So I'm stuck using my ancient old Blackberry Curve as a backup until Verizon releases their new phone(s), because heck if I'm going to get stuck with that battery hog brick-of-a-phone Rezound.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
This discussion has been closed.